Solved Looking to Replace Norton.

Hi All,

This is my first post here on the forum. I've been using Norton AV for the past year or so. Due to the fact that my internet provider freely offers it as a bonus for being a customer, but I feel that it's just way to resources hungry. Taking up much needed disk space, not to mention it's high cup usage and annoying pop-up's.

Would anyone be able to offer me any alternatives, when replacing Norton's bloated software. To help give my machine it's much needed protection?

Regards.

You can try using Trend Micro Internet Security. Been using it for years and the best there is in Japan.
Never heard of Trend Micro Internet Security. Guess I'll have to check that out.;)
Thanks for the suggestion cipals15. :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1, 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    CPU
    Intel i5-3470 Quad-Core 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8B75-M/CSM
    Memory
    DDR3 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    geforce gtx 980 ti
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    RCA LRK32G45RQ
    Screen Resolution
    1080x1920
    Hard Drives
    Intel 530 Series 120GB SSD and a Western Digital Black 2 TB HDD
    PSU
    Cooler Master GX 650W
    Case
    Thermaltake CA-1C1-00M1WN-00 Black
    Cooling
    Thermaltake NiC C4 Processor cooler
    Keyboard
    CM QuickFire, Ten-keyless, Cherry MX Red
    Mouse
    Logitech G500
    Internet Speed
    Questionable at best
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Norton
Hi All,

This is my first post here on the forum. I've been using Norton AV for the past year or so. Due to the fact that my internet provider freely offers it as a bonus for being a customer, but I feel that it's just way to resources hungry. Taking up much needed disk space, not to mention it's high cup usage and annoying pop-up's.

Would anyone be able to offer me any alternatives, when replacing Norton's bloated software. To help give my machine it's much needed protection?

Regards.

You can try using Trend Micro Internet Security. Been using it for years and the best there is in Japan.
Never heard of Trend Micro Internet Security. Guess I'll have to check that out.;)

There o.k. so many opinions on which is the best from reviewers drive you mad reading about it. Most bash Norton and hate them lately, i have had luck with using it i guess, it keeps me protected and good detection ratings. Basic statistics you want are how well it will protect you, performance and compatibilities to rest of your system. YW

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CyberPowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1502 (GX1502)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHZ 64 bit 6-Core Processor
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    G.Skill 16GB Quad Channel DDR4-2400MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ DDR5 4GB
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster ZxR 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PA24Q 24" Pro Art IPS LCD/LED Backlit 1920x1200
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 16:10
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    Crucial MX100 512GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    WD WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 3.5 Internal HDD
    PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular
    Case
    AZZA Cosmas Black Gaming Case
    Cooling
    Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo Dual 120mm, ( 2) Noctua PWM 120mm Case Fans (1) Gelid PWM 120mm Blue LED
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800 Illumiated Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox 41.0.1 / Microsoft Edge/ IE 11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
    Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16x Blu-Ray Burner, LG 24x Dual Layer DVD Burner,
    StarTech Front Bay 22-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Multi Media Memory Card Reader,Logitech Z906 5.1 Speaker system

There o.k. so many opinions on which is the best from reviewers drive you mad reading about it. Most bash Norton and hate them lately, i have had luck with using it i guess, it keeps me protected and good detection ratings. Basic statistics you want are how well it will protect you, performance and compatibilities to rest of your system. YW
Yeah you're right. I'm going to stick with Norton. I guess this thread can be marked as solved.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1, 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8B75-M/CSM
    Memory
    DDR3 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    geforce gtx 980 ti
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    RCA LRK32G45RQ
    Screen Resolution
    1080x1920
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Cooler Master GX 650W
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G500
    Internet Speed
    Questionable at best
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Norton

Yeah you're right. I'm going to stick with Norton. I guess this thread can be marked as solved.

Even more peace of mind, like you have run, occasionally run scans with Free Malwarebytes and even Windows Malicious Removal tool, MRT.EXE at run command. If do not download a lot, go to unsafe websites and don't open E-mails you do not recognize you should be o.k., as most would.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo Dual 120mm, ( 2) Noctua PWM 120mm Case Fans (1) Gelid PWM 120mm Blue LED
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
    StarTech Front Bay 22-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Multi Media Memory Card Reader,Logitech Z906 5.1 Speaker system
Even more peace of mind, like you have run, occasionally run scans with Free Malwarebytes and even Windows Malicious Removal tool, MRT.EXE at run command.
Yes, that's the plan. ;)

Thanks jds63, you've been most helpful. Two_Thumbs Purple.gif

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1, 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8B75-M/CSM
    Memory
    DDR3 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    geforce gtx 980 ti
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    RCA LRK32G45RQ
    Screen Resolution
    1080x1920
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Cooler Master GX 650W
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G500
    Internet Speed
    Questionable at best
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Norton

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
Most bash Norton and hate them lately, i have had luck with using it i guess, it keeps me protected and good detection ratings. Basic statistics you want are how well it will protect you, performance and compatibilities to rest of your system. YW
I too have had very good success with Norton IS. I have been running a Norton AV product on various machines for over10 years with excellent results. Especially over the lase 2-3 years the product has become much less resource heavy. The current version I don't find much difference in resource utilization when compared to many of the other popular products. If you disable the maintenance functions which you don't need and stuff like Idle Time Optimizer and Monthly Report and others you can reduce resource utilization even further. Best thing I can say is that I have never been hit with a virus or malware using Norton and I surf the net rather recklessly at times nor has it ever interfered with a windows update or other software installation. I also have Malwarebytes and scan regularly but it have never come up with anything so I guess that's another + for Norton.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 64, LT -Windows 10 Home 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP 500-075 Desktop + HP 15-f018dx Laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2 GHz Quad Core/ LT - i3-4030U 1.9 GHz
    Motherboard
    Foxcon Joshua-H61-uATX
    Memory
    8 GB/ LT - 6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD (DX10.1)
    Sound Card
    Integrated IDT 92HD73E
    Hard Drives
    1T HDD, 16G Sandisk Cache Drive, 2T Seagate 3.0 External
    Keyboard
    Wireless
    Mouse
    Wireless
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton 360
    Other Info
    CyberPower UPS, Macrium Backup, Revo Pro, Malwarebytes Premium
Most bash Norton and hate them lately, i have had luck with using it i guess, it keeps me protected and good detection ratings. Basic statistics you want are how well it will protect you, performance and compatibilities to rest of your system. YW
I too have had very good success with Norton IS. I have been running a Norton AV product on various machines for over10 years with excellent results. Especially over the lase 2-3 years the product has become much less resource heavy. The current version I don't find much difference in resource utilization when compared to many of the other popular products. If you disable the maintenance functions which you don't need and stuff like Idle Time Optimizer and Monthly Report and others you can reduce resource utilization even further. Best thing I can say is that I have never been hit with a virus or malware using Norton and I surf the net rather recklessly at times nor has it ever interfered with a windows update or other software installation. I also have Malwarebytes and scan regularly but it have never come up with anything so I guess that's another + for Norton.

Yep, as i am using Norton Security 2015, so it uses like 20 or so MB, i did disable the useless to me optimization stuff, do not need it and reports, there may be more i did, the optimization only runs at idle time if used, like using CCleaner which i do use. As showed at beginning my task manager, effects of product on system.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
Thanks gator2013, those are some good tips.
It didn't dawn on me to disable some of the maintenance functions, as well as other stuff. By me disabling these things, I should be able to greatly reduce Norton's resource utilization on my machine.

I don't have anyone outside of this forum, that I could have asked about this. Most if not all of the people I know are asking me these kind of questions.
I'm grateful that you guys responded so quickly like you have and offered some real knowledgeable suggestions to my question/issue.
My original thoughts about wanting to remove Norton, have been drastically altered for the better.
It wasn't broke to begin with, yet I wanted to fix it anyway. What I needed to do was right in front of me.
I couldn't see the forest for the trees...
The best thing about all this, is that I got Norton for free from my internet provider.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1, 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8B75-M/CSM
    Memory
    DDR3 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    geforce gtx 980 ti
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    RCA LRK32G45RQ
    Screen Resolution
    1080x1920
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Cooler Master GX 650W
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G500
    Internet Speed
    Questionable at best
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Norton
Thanks gator2013, those are some good tips.
It didn't dawn on me to disable some of the maintenance functions, as well as other stuff. By me disabling these things, I should be able to greatly reduce Norton's resource utilization on my machine.

I don't have anyone outside of this forum, that I could have asked about this. Most if not all of the people I know are asking me these kind of questions.
I'm grateful that you guys responded so quickly like you have and offered some real knowledgeable suggestions to my question/issue.
My original thoughts about wanting to remove Norton, have been drastically altered for the better.
It wasn't broke to begin with, yet I wanted to fix it anyway. What I needed to do was right in front of me.
I couldn't see the forest for the trees...
The best thing about all this, is that I got Norton for free from my internet provider.

On going saga of, should it stay or should it go, to be on my system or not to be on my system, that is the question. Believe we gave you are best advice and as not too much is free in this world, don't look a gifted horse in mouth. :D

Always make us see your task manager, how it shows on resources from Norton's. Shut off some other start up programs in task manager, if you are worried about that. No trees in Arizona !! :rolleyes: ;)

Your welcome, again ! Anytime !

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
Here are my results.

Before Disabling Maintenance Functions
Before disabling.png

After Disabling Maintenance Functions
After disabling.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1, 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8B75-M/CSM
    Memory
    DDR3 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    geforce gtx 980 ti
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    RCA LRK32G45RQ
    Screen Resolution
    1080x1920
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Cooler Master GX 650W
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G500
    Internet Speed
    Questionable at best
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Norton
See 11-12MB then 8MB use after disable for Norton. Only 11-12% the most for memory use, could be browser is open or something else, pretty good see. Look at performance, Details tab, all processes running and then can always disable the startup items in the Startup tab, all matters if need it running or not, mostly can be done within the software itself rather then doing it here unless there is no way to. Forget amount of RAM you had, but you seem fine. Always matters what is processing at time of capture too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
These are my running processes.
Running Processes.png
Is there something here that can be stopped or disabled?

Here's my Startup.
Startup.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1, 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8B75-M/CSM
    Memory
    DDR3 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    geforce gtx 980 ti
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    RCA LRK32G45RQ
    Screen Resolution
    1080x1920
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Cooler Master GX 650W
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G500
    Internet Speed
    Questionable at best
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Norton
Microsoft ones should not be disabled, those are Microsoft ones you are showing, usually towards bottom of the list. Take a look at startup tab, for items start when PC does, Details tab will show you all that is running now. Don't concern yourself too much, not like PC running slow and have 16GB RAM, plenty.

Want good free program to look startup items over and think i suggested it CCleaner - Download

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
Microsoft ones should not be disabled, those are Microsoft ones you are showing, usually towards bottom of the list. Take a look at startup tab, for items start when PC does, Details tab will show you all that is running now. Don't concern yourself too much, not like PC running slow and have 16GB RAM, plenty.

Want good free program to look startup items over and think i suggested it CCleaner - Download
Yes I use Ccleaner. Here is my Startup as shown by Ccleaner.
Capture.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1, 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8B75-M/CSM
    Memory
    DDR3 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    geforce gtx 980 ti
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    RCA LRK32G45RQ
    Screen Resolution
    1080x1920
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Cooler Master GX 650W
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G500
    Internet Speed
    Questionable at best
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Norton

View attachment 62709

I think you are good, just do your regular maintenance. Clean history, cache, windows temp, trim SSD and defrag HDD drives once or twice a month, update drivers on hardware and system and full system scan for malware and viruses once a week.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info

View attachment 62709

I think you are good, just do your regular maintenance. Clean history, cache, windows temp, trim SSD and defrag HDD drives once or twice a month, update drivers on hardware and system and full system scan for malware and viruses once a week.
Yeah, what you mentioned has been pretty much my standard practice, as far a regular maintenance goes. I'm kind of OCD when it comes to keeping my machine clean.
I think I've been lucky to never have any major issues with any of the operating systems I've ever used. I also try to steer clear of missing with the registry. I don't like to apply any kind of reg hacks, if I can live without it, I don't see the point of hacking the registry.
I also only use Ccleaner's registry cleaner after uninstalling, so I'll know what to expect.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1, 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8B75-M/CSM
    Memory
    DDR3 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    geforce gtx 980 ti
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    RCA LRK32G45RQ
    Screen Resolution
    1080x1920
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Cooler Master GX 650W
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G500
    Internet Speed
    Questionable at best
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Norton
Once a month open case up and used canned air, get that dust and dirt out of there as they can damage hardware. Sometimes have to remove certain hardware to do a good job. I have had issues over time, but used computers for many years, to me it always was a learning process on each as time went on. Try Revo Uninstaller it's one of the best, then you can use Ccleaner to clean up rest, but always use Ccleaners reg. backup and make restore points.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
Once a month open case up and used canned air, get that dust and dirt out of there as they can damage hardware. Sometimes have to remove certain hardware to do a good job. I have had issues over time, but used computers for many years, to me it always was a learning process on each as time went on. Try Revo Uninstaller it's one of the best, then you can use Ccleaner to clean up rest, but always use Ccleaners reg. backup and make restore points.
I agree with you about the dust issue.
I purchased a Metro Vacuum ED500 for about $60 on Amazon and it's paid for itself many time over already. I highly recommend this product, it's well worth the $60. I use it to clean my machine every 2 or 3 months.
I use to buy those cans of air and it can get really expensive over time. I also need to remove certain hardware for my case in order to thoroughly clean all the dust out. It seems that here is AZ, the dust accumulates much quicker then it did back east.
I even take the cover off my power supply once a year and blow that out too.
I've used Revo before and it's a great piece of software.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1, 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8B75-M/CSM
    Memory
    DDR3 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    geforce gtx 980 ti
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    RCA LRK32G45RQ
    Screen Resolution
    1080x1920
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Cooler Master GX 650W
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G500
    Internet Speed
    Questionable at best
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Norton
I agree with you about the dust issue.
I purchased a Metro Vacuum ED500 for about $60 on Amazon and it's paid for itself many time over already. I highly recommend this product, it's well worth the $60. I use it to clean my machine every 2 or 3 months.
I use to buy those cans of air and it can get really expensive over time. I also need to remove certain hardware for my case in order to thoroughly clean all the dust out. It seems that here is AZ, the dust accumulates much quicker then it did back east.
I even take the cover off my power supply once a year and blow that out too.
I've used Revo before and it a great piece of software.

Nice little tool, first time seeing that kind of device. Thinking about costs for each can of compressed air i bought over time would surpass cost of one device like this. Make sure use wood stick to hold fan blades as you blow air on them, not to damage the fan. If have wooden floors in room your best, but rugs where issue is more with dust and if have pets. Very dry climate there too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
Back