Load/Unload Cycle Count

PaulA

i have a Toshiba Satellite P840 that is almost 10 years old, but still works fine (it is just slow when it boots).
Today I checked HDSentinel and the overview says that my HD status is *perfect* and no action is needed.
However, the load/unload cycle count is very close to 2,000,000. I realize it is because of the laptop's age, but should I be worried?
The main tab, as I said, says that my HD is perfect.
I also tried another program (HDInspector) and it says that reliability, performance and error resistance are all 100%. The load/unload cycle count is the same of course, and it says it is 1%??? However, it has not been high (I mean the percentage) for a long time. I have attached a diagram.

loadunloadcycle.JPG

Anyway, I realize that my laptop is old, but it is still working fine.
What do you think? Should I be worried? both programs say that my HD is perfect, it is just that load/unload cycle that disturbs me.
Thank you for your advice!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
The thing about an HDD is that it is mechanical and can fail at a moment's notice. There is no way to know for sure WHEN it will fail, only that it WILL fail eventually.

Hopefully, you have a good system image backup of the drive so that, if it does fail, you can replace it with a new one and restore the system image so that you will only suffer a little downtime.

If it were my laptop, I would replace the aging HDD with a modern SSD which should ease your mind a little regarding the reliability of the drive but will also dramarically speed up the boot process and program loading performance of the laptop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home built i7-8700K, Hp Envy x360 EVO Laptop, MS Surface Pro 7
    CPU
    3.7Ghz Core i7-8700K, 11th Gen Core i7-1165G7 4.7Ghz, 10th Gen Core™ i5-1035G4 1.1Ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, HP, MS
    Memory
    16G, 8G, 8G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon RX580, Intel Iris X Graphics, Intel Iris Plus Graphics G4
    Sound Card
    ATI High Definition Audio (Built-in to mobo)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Samsung U32J59 32 inch monitors, 13.3" display, 12.3" display
    Screen Resolution
    3840x2160 (Desktop), 1920x1080 (laptop), 2736x1824 Pro 7
    Hard Drives
    500GB ssd boot drive with 2 & 10TB Data (Desktop), 512GB ssd (laptop), 128GB SSD (tablet)
    PSU
    Corsair CX 750M
    Case
    Antec 100
    Cooling
    Coolermaster CM 212+
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M - used continuously since 1986
    Mouse
    Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Internet Speed
    665Mbps/15Mbps down/up
    Browser
    FireFox, MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender on all
    Other Info
    Retired in 2015 after working in the tech industry for 41 years. First 10 years as a Technician, the rest as a programmer/software engineer. After 1 year of retirement, I was bored so went back to work as a Robotic Process Automation Consultant. Retired for 3rd (and final) time in 2019.
Thank you. I do make image backups regularly, normally every two months, but I think at this stage I should make backups more often.
I also always keep my eyes open for new laptops altogether, as this one is old and not only the HD could fail, but basically anything.
All in all though it performed fine and is still performing relatively fine, so I wouldn't mind another Toshiba.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
I recently replaced my old Toshiba Satellite Pro S55 (bought in 2012). It still worked great, years ago I had replaced the 1TB HDD with a 500GB SSD. My main dislike of it was that it had a low resolution screen. I ended up getting an HP Envy x360.

Replacing the HDD in your current laptop only makes sense if you were planning to keep it for awhile. If you really want a new laptop then it makes more sense to use the money that would be spent on a new SSD toward the purchase of a new laptop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    3.7Ghz Core i7-8700K, 11th Gen Core i7-1165G7 4.7Ghz, 10th Gen Core™ i5-1035G4 1.1Ghz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16G, 8G, 8G
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    500GB ssd boot drive with 2 & 10TB Data (Desktop), 512GB ssd (laptop), 128GB SSD (tablet)
    PSU
    Corsair CX 750M
    Case
    Antec 100
    Cooling
    Coolermaster CM 212+
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Internet Speed
    665Mbps/15Mbps down/up
    Browser
    FireFox, MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender on all
    Other Info
    Retired in 2015 after working in the tech industry for 41 years. First 10 years as a Technician, the rest as a programmer/software engineer. After 1 year of retirement, I was bored so went back to work as a Robotic Process Automation Consultant. Retired for 3rd (and final) time in 2019.
My main concern is that I am not even sure some of my software will work on Windows 10.
I bought my Satellite in July 2011.
The screen resolution is 1366x768, which is not very high, but my screen is not huge either (12"x7").
I remember that back then I liked the sound system/speakers (Harman Kardon), which seemed to be better than on most laptops (back then).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
I suppose that could be a concern if you have some expensive software you purchased. I personally don't recall having any major issues when I moved on from Win 7 to Win 8 and finally Win 10.

If there is software you own and wouldn't want to find a replacement for then I would check the developer's website to see if they support Win 10 with your version of the software.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16G, 8G, 8G
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair CX 750M
    Case
    Antec 100
    Cooling
    Coolermaster CM 212+
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Internet Speed
    665Mbps/15Mbps down/up
    Browser
    FireFox, MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender on all
    Other Info
There might be new versions, but even updates cost something, sometimes even a lot (not always, but sometimes they do), and some of the software I have is indeed quite expensive (like Photoshop). Maybe I should buy a new laptop before something happens, so at least if there is a problem with some software I could still use the old laptop as long as I can...
If this laptop lasts at least until the end of June/beginning of July, there will be sales here, so I can look around. That's when I bought this one too (in July 2011, as I said). I have been a bit lazy because apart from booting ( a bit slow) it works really fine. When the CPU is really high it is usually only temporary, like when it is updating Kaspersky.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
There might be new versions, but even updates cost something, sometimes even a lot (not always, but sometimes they do), and some of the software I have is indeed quite expensive (like Photoshop). Maybe I should buy a new laptop before something happens, so at least if there is a problem with some software I could still use the old laptop as long as I can...
If this laptop lasts at least until the end of June/beginning of July, there will be sales here, so I can look around. That's when I bought this one too (in July 2011, as I said). I have been a bit lazy because apart from booting ( a bit slow) it works really fine. When the CPU is really high it is usually only temporary, like when it is updating Kaspersky.

Photoshop has really gotten expensive. I had to switch to Auto Photo Editor | Luminar It's much more technologically advanced and cheaper. Less stress on the system

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back