Listen up, Google: Here’s what Windows 8 can teach you about tablets

Windows 8 is certain to make a huge splash with consumers — not just because it’s the next version of Windows, but because Microsoft has finally managed to crack the code for putting Windows on tablets.

But I think Windows 8 also teaches us something important about the fledgling tablet category: effective tablets need to be laser-focused on offering an experience that’s more than just a blown up mobile OS. (And making sure developers are eager to build for your platform doesn’t hurt either.)

Source Here

People may complain that the Metro isn't what they want for a PC type Op system but for phones and tablets it's definitely going to be a winner.

They had no choice but to create the Metro interface really although they might consider making Metro and the old style start menu an option for the PC users.

After seeing all of the complaints I'm sure they are thinking about it already.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
I don't think so.

They had the same feedback from WDP.

In wdp you could use a liitle registry hack to enable the full scale interface start menu.

MS have now deliberately removed it.

They want to force people to use the metro start menu.

It is quite cumbersome.

I will end up with hundreds of things pinned to the metro start.

That means a lot of sreens to scroll across and hundreds of icons to search thru to find the right one each time.

Exremely unergonomic and very tiring on the eyes.

NB - I am calling it Full Scale Interface to get away from the word "desktop".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hopefully they fix up the desktop and especially have something worthwhile in replacement of the start menu or just give it back to us because right now what they have is even more non-user friendly. I never realized how useful the start menu is until now they don't have it they give you a dumb list to look for stuff and a regular or first time user would not probably know about that way of getting a menu that is supposed to replace the start menu. They are making things more difficult what with the ribbon and metro. I like the metro in theory but what they have done with it is a disaster. A huge grid of boxes? In one of the boxes you can go to the desktop? It just feels like a bad idea waiting to happen. The boxes are panoramic and also annoying. They are flat to the point of having no sense of dimension and frankly they claim about having the content being the center but a lot of those things you could do without making things so flat. And if you have a series of tiles that give similar information it becomes are to find things. I just find it a bad design in the interface and execution.

My Computer

I don't think so.

They had the same feedback from WDP.

In wdp you could use a liitle registry hack to enable the full scale interface start menu.

MS have now deliberately removed it.

They want to force people to use the metro start menu.

It is quite cumbersome.

I will end up with hundreds of things pinned to the metro start.

That means a lot of sreens to scroll across and hundreds of icons to search thru to find the right one each time.

Exremely unergonomic and very tiring on the eyes.

NB - I am calling it Full Scale Interface to get away from the word "desktop".

metro start menu is better.

you can remove whatever tiles you don't want and rearrange them so wont be having "a lot of sreens to scroll across and hundreds of icons to search thru to find the right one each time".

the tiles are bigger than the start menu programs and easier to access so they cant be "Extremely unergonomic and very tiring on the eyes".

just get used to it. it is the future of microsoft.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Funny how they told us that "Gadgets" were no-go and most are gone now with Win7. Gadgets are back with Windows 8...just called "Tiles". I really wish they would make up their minds.......If this is really the direction that Microsoft wants to go then they need to do some development on multiple desktops (Gee, wonder where that idea came from) or alternate launchers. They do seem to have forgotten about the customer with this release......guess we will just have to wait and see what the general reaction from the buying public is, will it be another Windows 7 blockbuster or will it be another Vista fiasco...only time will tell.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64 / Windows 8 Consumer Preview
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Systemax / N2000
    CPU
    Q6600 (G0 stepping) @2.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    XFX nForce 680i LT
    Memory
    4 X 2gb OCZ SLI-Ready PC-6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    Dual XFX GeForce 9800GT 512MB in SLI mode (Stock)
    Sound Card
    Integrated High Def audio 192 kHz/32-bit eight channel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 24" Sceptre X246W-1080P
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x1080 each monitor
    Hard Drives
    500GB 7200 RPM SATA II
    PSU
    Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1250W
    Case
    N2000 tower server
    Cooling
    Thermaltake bigwater 760is - Liquid cooling
    Keyboard
    MicroSoft wireless 6000 v2.0 keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft wireless laser Mouse 6000
    Internet Speed
    TransWorld Network - 512k minimum with 1.5 mb burst (ok, not great)
    Other Info
    Windows 7 x64 ultimate, Windows 7 x64 Pro, Windows home server x86 V1 (1.5 Tb on 5 drives), Ubuntu 11.10 x86, Vista x86 sp2 Home Premium, Vista x64 sp2 Home Premium, XP pro sp3 x86. SQLserver 2005, MySQL DB 5.0, Android 3.0 Viewsonic G Tablet, Android 3.2 Acer Iconia tablet A100.
Back