Laptop thinks it's touch screen after update

Arenais

Hi, my laptop running 8.1 (came with 8 from factory, updated when 8.1 came out) was updated a couple of days ago, through an official prompt. Since the restart, I am getting a Touch Keyboard icon on the taskbar, Office apps have a touch mode and the pointer keeps disappearing. It never did this before the update. My laptop is NOT touchscreen, it is a series 5 Samsung, I don't mind the new icons to be honest, but can't stand the pointer disappearing and having to reboot every time. Any ideas as to why it happened and how I can fix it/avoid it in the future? TYIA

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Samsung Series 5
    CPU
    Intel Core Quad i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
If you go to the bottom left of your screen, right click, then click on system, does it say that there is pen and touch support?

Also go to Device Manager, and check to see if there are any Pen and Touch devices installed.

If you can, post a screen shot of your device manager, Your system Window, and your desktop, that will help me, and others to find out the problem to this issue.

Its strange if Windows has loaded drivers for a device that isn't present, or installed the wrong drivers for a device on your system.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K PRO
    Memory
    2 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    PNY NVIDIA Geforce GT 630
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Here are the screenshots. Also, I noticed that in the System window, there is now a Pen and Touch section, which I'm 99% sure it wasn't there before the update. Note too the keyboard button on the task bar. There were no Pen and Touch devices installed.
Desktop.jpgDevice Manager.pngSystem.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung Series 5
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Also, my Alt Gr key stopped working after the update...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung Series 5
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
I am having the same problem. (Except with the Alt Gr key which I do not have. But I can no longer play flash games unless I hold down the Ctrl and Fn keys.) Is there anything we can do? An update that we can uninstall?

Please help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung Notebook/ NP355E5C
    CPU
    AMD Dual Core E2-1800 Accelerated Processor
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon™ HD 7340 Graphics
    Keyboard
    PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 (101/102 Key)
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG Free 2015
I'm almost wondering if there is a bug in Windows 8.1, because I see that both of you are having similar issues. If it is causing problems, I would revert back to windows 8 with your system recovery.

Are any of your computers under warranty? "Asking both people having problems in this thread". I'm a computer tech, and I would do troubleshooting by removing the hard drive, install a clean hard drive " spare drive" and install a clean retail version of Windows 8.1, and see if the problem comes up with a clean install. If the problem is not there, then I know it's a bad upgrade.

I've got 9 years of experience as a computer tech, and with my experiences, I hate buying preinstalled systems due to that there can be lots of problems with the software packages and Windows installation. With preinstalled systems, if you upgrade to a different OS, you lose recovery functionality, and would have to know how to reset the recovery drive in the WinRE environment. There are programs out there that can help with the process, but it causes issues because work arounds sometimes causes problems too.

I choose to build my own PCs, that way I know what's going in the system, and clean oem copies or retail copies, I rarely have issues with them. So I always try to do things to where I know it will work out of the box, and updates or upgrades won't break functionality. Yes, that's a Microsoft issue, since stuff isn't probably tested perhaps, but I tend to go the route I know there are no issues.

Sorry I don't have a fix, but this is a strange problem.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K PRO
    Memory
    2 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    PNY NVIDIA Geforce GT 630
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Just created an account to say I've got the same problem described by the others.

In addition to the aforementioned issues, my Windows key is behaving erratically; commands using the key (Win+D to show Desktop for example) perform the command in question, but always show the start screen after completing the command. Also, the Windows key exhibits 'repeat' behaviour when held, meaning I need to be quick about entering commands, or it just flashes the Start screen on-and-off about 10 times per second. Frustrating, as I use Windows key shortcuts often. :(

EDIT: I should note, this is a two-year-old Samsung machine, with factory-installed Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Weird that we both have 2 year old Samsung machines with the same issues... I really want to fix this. I also forgot to mention about my Windows key acting up the same way as yours.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung Series 5
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Honestly, no idea of the specific model, only know it's a Series 5 built specifically for the Chilean market (with the specs on the photos above). How do I check the model?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung Series 5
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Ah, I see! Thanks! Just to get it out there, maybe it's of use to somene, it's a Samsung NP550P5C

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung Series 5
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
My Samsung Notebook is 2 years old also. It is a Series 3 ... NP355E5C

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung Notebook/ NP355E5C
    CPU
    AMD Dual Core E2-1800 Accelerated Processor
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon™ HD 7340 Graphics
    Keyboard
    PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 (101/102 Key)
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG Free 2015
Seems to be a Samsung issue... Will see if I can contact them and lead them to this thread so they can be of assistance. If I get a reply I'll let you guys know.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung Series 5
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
A co-worker of mine has the same model as I do, and it turns out he isn't experiencing the problem, but he did a clean install several months ago when his HDD failed. It looks like it's some bad interaction with the factory-installed Windows, specifically.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
I tried contacting Samsung Support, going to their US branch first. Couldn't get any help since as soon as he ran the model, he told me whe could do nothing since it was purchased in Chile. So I contacted the Chilean branch, and was told to do a full restore using Samsung Recovery Solutions to fix the issue, which I honestly, can't be bothered doing a back up of almost 1TB of data. So apparently, that's the solution! If any of you can contact US Samsung Support and get a better option, please, do let me know!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung Series 5
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
I'm in Canada, actually, so I'm not sure it's US support I'd be dealing with either. As this is just a machine I use for work, I guess I'll be wiping it, if that's the easiest fix. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
NOT SAMSUNG. How man years later? HP Stream Notebook. Just started to experience the SAME EXACT PROBLEM.
along with the touchscreen issue....my troubleshooter is not working. throwing a catch all error code

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Stream
Back