Laptop running extremely slow and other issues.

linz

Sorry for any bad spelling and such. I'm having to type this fast before my computer starts freezing up again.

I've had this Windows 8 computer for a couple years. It's always run great until recently. I'm running just plain old Windows 8, not 8.1 or anything else. I bought the computer with Windows 8 on it.

Lately it's started going extremely slow and has slow reaction times to almost everything. The weird thing is it will run smoothly, like right now while I'm typing this, and then drop back to going extremely slow or unresponsive. It takes a while to go into sleep mode and a long time to come back out. Windows will randomly close or become unresponsive. I can programs for only a few minutes at a time usually before they crash. Chrome works sometimes but after a while it almost always crashes on me. If I try to open my app to screen to search or do anything it freezes up. If I wait a long time it will sometimes eventually finish what I was searching for. I am having an issue where my CD/DVD burner won't burn disks anymore but it will play them.

Here's a little more info about my computer:

Samsung
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3635QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
8 GB of RAM
64-bit Operating System, x64 based processor
NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M graphics card
907 GB of space and 155 GB free

I've gotten a Kernal_Data_Inpage_Error BSOD a number of times over the last couple of weeks.
Here's a list of some of the things I've tried all ready and the results.
I went the route of checking for a malware or a virus first
Windows defender came up with nothing
Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool didn't find anything
I used CCleaner to try to clean things up a bit but no difference.
Spybot Search and Destroy didn't find anything.
Malwarebytes didn't find anything
I don't have any other virus protection install like Norton or Mcafee

I checked for file system errors and didn't find any.
I ran chkdsk and it says it fixed whatever was wrong and when I ran it again didn't come up with any errors but whatever it fixed didn't help.
My drivers are up to date
I had not installed any new updates at the time my computer started going crazy so I know it's not that. Here's what I installed prior to my computer running slow. I added a codec for viewing the files from my digital camera, I Installed DaVinci Resolve which also meant I had to install CUDA for my NVIDIA graphics card which added files like Microsoft Visual C++, Microsoft ASP.NET MVC 4 Runtime, Microsoft Visual Studio and Nvidia Nsght Visual Studios, Microsoft SQL server files, ISS 8.0 Express, and some other files. My computer ran smoothly for a couple weeks after install that so I don't know if that has anything to do with the issue. The only other thing did was install a free trial of Sony Vegas. I've already uninstalled that with no difference. I also uninstall CUDA in general but not all the supporting files to see if that helped but it didn't. I need to be able run Resolve for work though.

I really needed CUDA for some other programs I'm running so I'm hoping that isn't the culprit. I asked about it causing issues on the Nvidia CUDA forum and they said that my type of graphics card is made to run with it and my computer is compatible so I shouldn't have any issues.

I'm not sure what to try next. Any suggestions? I only want to do a clean install as a last resort.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Update to 8.1 would be my first advice. Personally love it with Classic Shell. Can't remember last crash, runs fast.

Also always sfc /scannow and DISM.

Admit, didn't read the entire post.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.
KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR Details

This seems to suggest that the BSOD error you are getting is largely caused by hardware issues or a virus infection. You said you scanned with Security Essentials. I dont place much faith in that virus scanner. I would download either AVG or Comodo Internet Security and scan with one of those (not both, more than one AV being installed can cause conflicts). See if that comes up with anything.

Failing that, if you have access to another computer I would download MemTest86 and burn it to a disc. Boot from that disc and let it check the memory. Let it run for 3-4 passes (minimum of 2 I would say) and see if that find any memory errors. Baring that, it might be a failing hard drive as this error has to do with failing to page memory back into RAM.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @ 3.3-3.7 Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77-G41
    Memory
    16 GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3-1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 730
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 20 Inch Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1680*1050
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB
    PSU
    Thermaltake 550W
    Case
    Antec Nine Hundred Two
    Cooling
    Arctic Freezer i30 CO
    Keyboard
    Logitech K330
    Mouse
    Logitech M215
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps
    Browser
    Comodo Chromodo
    Antivirus
    Comodo Internet Security Premium
Well like I said earlier I scanned my computer withat multiple virus and malware removal software and found nothing. I did also have some lava soft software on there as well and it didn't find anything. I scanned it for memory issues already and didn't find anything. I got it looked at some by Samsung and they don't know what's wrong. It just all of a sudden upgraded me to 8.1 even though I have software updates off but I'll see if that helped or doomed my computer. It's been freezing up since 8.1 installed. I may just have to wipe it and start over.. yay..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Hi Linz,

If you are still getting BSOD's, please create a thread at the BSOD section and read the posting instructions.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom build
    CPU
    i5-6500 @3.20GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte B150-HD3P-CF