keyboard not working correctly after Win 8 install

lapis1961

I upgraded a 2 week old HP laptop from windows 7 to windows 8 and all seemed to go well.

After finishing, though, my keyboard doesn't work correctly. In most programs and on webpages, the number keys do not work nor do the special characters accessed through the shift key. Sometimes they act like the space bar, other times they repeat the previously typed alpha character. All works perfectly in MSWord, however.

The numbers on the keypad do work in all programs.

I've checked the control panel and can't find any settings that appear to influence this - no accessibility settings, nothing.

Any ideas?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
I have exactly the same problem. It is with certainty a Windows 8 issue.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 8500
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    12 gb
I have exactly the same problem. It is with certainty a Windows 8 issue.

Well, at least I'm not alone. It's frustrating - I've been typing what I need in Word and copying and pasting into fields but I can't do that forever.

Hopefully we can find an answer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
I've done the same. Definitely not the way to go long term. How does one post a bug report to Microsoft on Win 8?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Dell XPS 8500
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    12 gb
I found out that the keyboard is fully functional as long as I open the browser from Win 8 Start and not from the Desktop. Of course using the Desktop is what I am accustomed to and the browser has all the toolbars and bookmarks that I use. From the Start page it seems, at least so far, as the browser is very limited.

I upgraded my system from Win 7. Sound familiar?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Dell XPS 8500
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    12 gb
Yeah, the same here. Half of the keyboard is completely messed up. I must switch off the NumLock button to be able to access the proper letters and signs .It happens after the pc falls asleep. Restart fixed the problem once , but this ain't the way to go. I updated from Vista Business 64. .............Now I remember that it happened first today, when I decided to make a complete reinstall of the Win 8 and I had to type my email. I had to go blind trough the whole keyboard to find the proper letters. Nightmare :mad:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64bit
    CPU
    i7-3770 @3.5GHz
    Motherboard
    P8H77 V
    Memory
    16GB 1600MHz
I found out that the keyboard is fully functional as long as I open the browser from Win 8 Start and not from the Desktop. Of course using the Desktop is what I am accustomed to and the browser has all the toolbars and bookmarks that I use. From the Start page it seems, at least so far, as the browser is very limited.

I upgraded my system from Win 7. Sound familiar?

Which browser are you using?

Mine doesn't work whether I open the browser through Start or from the desktop. Both Microsoft and HP have remoted into my computer and tried different things. All without success.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
I was using IE 10 within the Start page. I have noticed that the keyboard fine works in the Norton toolbar and I can copy and paste from there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Dell XPS 8500
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    12 gb
Even I have the same issue..Special characters have been mixed up..Is there any solution for this problem??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 professional x64 + WMC
    Acer Aspire 5920
    CPU
    Core 2 duo T5550
    Motherboard
    ACER CHAPALA
    Memory
    4GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GMA X3100
    Screen Resolution
    1280 X 800
    Hard Drives
    160 GB HDD
Yes indeed...same issues here as I did a clean install from Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro upgrade...ASUS has yet to put up any files for Windows 8 yet...The laptop is a K55A and is under 1 month old so will have to be semi=patient...lol
Will follow this thread closely...
Still have the yellow exclamations in device manager under 'unknown PCI devices'....more then likely related to a modem issue...but my WIFI connection is thus far stable...haven't been able to figure out exactly what is causing these errors...went to Intel site..and forums no success with any solutions yet....but it does not seem to cause any 'very trouble-some' issues with overall operation, but still bug moi..lol

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro Media Center X 64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus K55A
    CPU
    Intel i5 3rd Generation
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768 (WXGA)
Damn. Still the same with me. After I turn the monitor on, or wake up the PC the keyboard gets crazy. The solution for me is to switch of the numlock and work without the numpad, or restart the machine. I don't have this problem on mine Win7 and XP which are on the same machine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64bit
    CPU
    i7-3770 @3.5GHz
    Motherboard
    P8H77 V
    Memory
    16GB 1600MHz
I upgraded a 2 week old HP laptop from windows 7 to windows 8 and all seemed to go well.

After finishing, though, my keyboard doesn't work correctly. In most programs and on webpages, the number keys do not work nor do the special characters accessed through the shift key. Sometimes they act like the space bar, other times they repeat the previously typed alpha character. All works perfectly in MSWord, however.

I've checked the control panel and can't find any settings that appear to influence this - no accessibility settings, nothing.

Any ideas?

I had the same issue and I found the answer on Microsoft's Community board that said to uninstall Constant Guard or gaurdid. Uninstalled Constant Guard and the number keys and special chars are working fine now in IE.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I had a problem with my enter key on a particular forum, so i couldnt make new paragraphs and I went to view and compatibilty mode and the enter key was back. Dont know if this applies in these cases. In my case it was clearly the website I was on that MS's new security or something (my guess), was reacting to.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Alienware Area-58
    CPU
    Intell 2,93 i7
    Motherboard
    p6
    Memory
    8gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia gtx 295
    Sound Card
    X-fi extreme
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1280
    Hard Drives
    6 Seagate Sata 3 external seagate
    Case
    Alienware Area-58
    Cooling
    liquid
    Keyboard
    Logitch G15
    Mouse
    Razer Nagas
    Internet Speed
    18mbs

Any ideas?

I had the same issue and I found the answer on Microsoft's Community board that said to uninstall Constant Guard or gaurdid. Uninstalled Constant Guard and the number keys and special chars are working fine now in IE.

Thanks for the answer - it turns out that this was the problem. All is working well since uninstalling Constant Guard.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
Constant Guard - the culprit. Uninstalled it and problems are gone. Thank you for the tip.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro / Windows Home Premium
    Self Build
    CPU
    Intel 4-Core i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77M-D3H-MVP
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 7750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual LG Flatron 20"
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    OCZ Agility-3 120GB Partitoned for Dual OS
    OCZ Agility-3 240GB For file storage
    Case
    Mid-Sized Case
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard 5000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000
Go to device manager and go to "keyboards". What do you see there? If there is more than one, unplug your keyboard. Plug it back in and you'll see a new entry pop up. Double click that entry (or right-click). Go to "driver" and Uninstall. Unplug your keyboard and plug it back in.

Alternately, you can try a different USB port and see if that works.

EDIT: Constant guard? Glad you found the culprit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 920 2.66GHz (OC to 3.8GHz)
    Motherboard
    MSI Pro x58
    Memory
    6GB OCZ Gold
    Graphics Card(s)
    Two GTX 460s in SLI
    Sound Card
    Xonar DX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 21.5" Display
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    PSU
    Corsair 750tx
    Case
    Xclio Windtunnel
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
In my case, my old Microsoft keyboard does not work after the last flash unless I first connect the Win8 keyboard that came with the desktop. After that, I can switch keyboards and everything works fine until the next shutdown/power up. This happened once in the very beginning but it worked fine after that. It seems the latest BIOS is more strict, whatever that means!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 8
    Dell XPS 8500
    CPU
    Core i7-3770
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 7570 1GB GDDR5 for Win 8
    Sound Card
    Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio 4
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer, 19" Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080, 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    1 TB SATA 3
My brother has an ASUS laptop and when he upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1 his keyboard began to mess up. Several keys would display an asterisk instead of the correct key code. He then went back to 8.0. He is not so PC literate and it is hard to talk PC with him. I suspect somehow the BIOS look-up tables got glitched, any suggestions?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Dell 1545
Back