Keeping old OS while changing mobo and processor

ajd112

Hi guys,

I am going to change my motherboard, processor and RAM. However, I will be using the same HDD. Is it necessary to re-install the OS after I have set up the rig? I am using the drivers that come with Windows 8, so driver compatibility ought not to be a problem.
Thanks in advance!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 x64
Short answer--New Motherboard=New License Key if you have an OEM OS version. Sorry:(

The reason is your license key is embedded in your BIOS, and the BIOS is embedded with the MOBO.

If you paid for a license key separately then you can use the OS with the new MOBO but you should do a clean install because all the drivers will be wrong and it probably won't even boot.

EDIT:
You could try to put the drive as-is into the new machine, boot off the Win8 installation media, and do a repair install. This will search for drivers that match the current hardware
Three notes:
1) Clone the drive first so that, in case of damage, you still have your data.
2) You will probably have to phone Microsoft to re-activate the copy of the OS. They've been decent about it with others.
3) If it works, immediately go to the Microsoft Update site and see what updates are needed for the drivers that you just installed

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Update Pro in Hyper-V/Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Cliff's Black & Blue Wonder
    CPU
    Intel Core i9-9900K
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    Memory
    32 GB Quad Kit, G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series schwarz, DDR4-3866, 18-19-19-39-2T
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 ROG Strix O24G, 24576 MB GDDR6X
    Sound Card
    (1) HD Webcam C270 (2) NVIDIA High Definition Audio (3) Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ BL2711U(4K) and a hp 27vx(1080p)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 x 32 bits (4294967296 colors) @ 60 Hz
    Hard Drives
    C: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD
    E: & O: Libraries & OneDrive-> Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    D: Hyper-V VM's -> Samsung PM951 Client M.2 512Gb SSD
    G: System Images -> HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    PSU
    Corsair HX1000i High Performance ATX Power Supply 80+ Platinum
    Case
    hanteks Enthoo Pro TG
    Cooling
    Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB TT Premium-Edition 360mm and 3 Corsair blue LED fans
    Keyboard
    Trust GTX THURA
    Mouse
    Trust GTX 148
    Internet Speed
    25+/5+ (+usually faster)
    Browser
    Edge; Chrome; IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender of course & Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit as a
    Other Info
    Router: FRITZ!Box 7590 AX V2
    Sound system: SHARP HT-SBW460 Dolby Atmos Soundbar
    Webcam: Logitech BRIO ULTRA HD PRO WEBCAM 4K webcam with HDR
If you paid for a license key separately then you can use the OS with the new MOBO but you should do a clean install because all the drivers will be wrong and it probably won't even boot.
Windows 8 is very forgiving. You should not have to do a fresh install. If you boot from your old HD, Windows will start off with:
"Getting Devices Ready..." but you have to re-activate Windows due to MB replacement.

NOTE: Advantage is you don't have to re-install all third party applications.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Brewed
    CPU
    I7 4970K OC'ed @4.7 GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI-Z97
    Memory
    16 GB G-Skill Trident X @2400MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual HP-W2408
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    256 GB M2 sm951, (2) 500GB 850EVO, 5TB, 2 TB Seagate
    PSU
    Antec 850W
    Case
    Antec 1200
    Cooling
    Danger Den H20
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance Mouse MX
    Internet Speed
    35/12mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
Short answer--New Motherboard=New License Key if you have an OEM OS version.
The reason is your license key is embedded in your BIOS, and the BIOS is embedded with the MOBO.
That's not really the reason. The reason is because the terms of the EULA dictate the OEM license MUST stay with the "O"riginal "E"quipment, and we as the users, agreed to abide by those terms when we decided to keep using that license with the original equipment. And that makes it legally binding.

And with home or custom built computers, the key is not embedded in the BIOS. That is only with factory built computers using UEFI BIOS with Windows pre-installed at the factory. But again, it is the terms of the EULA we agreed to abide by that how we can use the license. And the terms of the OEM licenses dictate they cannot, under ANY circumstance, be transferred to a new computer (or upgraded computer using a new motherboard).

Windows 8 is very forgiving
Yes, Windows 8 is forgiving, but just because you can run a Stop sign and not get caught, that does not make it legal. Same thing here. A new motherboard is considered a new computer and therefore requires a new license - regardless if W8 is forgiving or not.

There are two notable exceptions. (1) If the motherboard is being replaced as part of a "repair" action, BUT it must be replaced with an identical board from the same maker, or a replacement recommended by the maker if the original model is no longer available. You cannot "upgrade" to a better board, even as part of a repair. And (2) if the original license it more expensive, full "boxed Retail" license, purchased separately.

So bottom line, if the old license is an OEM/System builders license (and if factory installed, it surely is) then the right and legal thing to do is to buy a new license to go with this new "E"quipment - even though should you decide to violate the terms of the License Agreement you previously agreed to abide by, you will probably get away with it.

Those are the facts - its in your EULAs and I'm just the messenger.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
@Itaregid
Windows 8 is very forgiving Yes, Windows 8 is forgiving, but just because you can run a Stop sign and not get caught, that does not make it legal. Same thing here. A new motherboard is considered a new computer and therefore requires a new license - regardless if W8 is forgiving or not.
  1. Did you understand what I meant by: Windows 8 is very forgiving ? this got nothing to do with licensing. just Windows Installation so that you don't have to do a fresh install + Applications that you already installed
  2. If you replace your MB. Of course you need to re-activate Windows and No, it does not have to be the same make and model. The Licence is good for 1 MB, 1 PC. All you need to do is call MS and tell them you have a MB replacement then they'll re-activate your licence with the new MB. Let's take a scenerio: If I had a 5 year old MB and installed Windows and it is now broken and cannot find a replacement for it then I have to buy a different brand MB. Do I need to buy a new licence ? the answer is NO.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Brewed
    CPU
    I7 4970K OC'ed @4.7 GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI-Z97
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual HP-W2408
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec 850W
    Case
    Antec 1200
    Cooling
    Danger Den H20
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    35/12mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
Yes, I understand. And you even quoted me where I said it is forgiving.

No, it does not have to be the same make and model.
With OEM licenses, yes it does! This is widely published the MS site, and in the EULAs.

I say again, just because it will technically let you, that does not mean it is legal.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Transfer of OEM Licenses

You are required to support the license on that original PC, but you cannot support a license that has been moved from a PC that you manufactured to one that you did not. This is one of the key reasons why an OEM System Builder License can’t be transferred. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

FAQ:
Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard

If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required.

Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Transfer of OEM Licenses

You are required to support the license on that original PC, but you cannot support a license that has been moved from a PC that you manufactured to one that you did not. This is one of the key reasons why an OEM System Builder License can’t be transferred. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

FAQ:
Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard

If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required.

Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created.
Please read this post:
http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/63462-windows-oem-reinstall-post497367.html#post497367

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Brewed
    CPU
    I7 4970K OC'ed @4.7 GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI-Z97
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual HP-W2408
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec 850W
    Case
    Antec 1200
    Cooling
    Danger Den H20
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    35/12mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
There's nothing said or anyone of authority in that post who said anything that changes the facts.

We don't own the software. We own a license to use the software in accordance with the terms of the license agreement. Microsoft owns the software and as the owners, THEY set the terms of use. Not us! And I posted links to Microsoft official pages which clearly show those terms. And we, as consumers, agree to abide by those terms when we decide to keep using the software.

If we don't want to agree to the terms, we have the option to use Linux. That's how the law works.

I say again, just because you can run a Stop sign and not get caught, that does not make it legal. Same thing here.

"OEM/System Builders" licenses are considerably less expensive to purchase than full "Retail" licenses for two main reasons. (1) The "system builder" (Dell, HP, yourself) assumes responsibility for Windows tech support for 1 year. And (2) the license is NOT transferable to a new computer!

With a full "Retail" license you are legally able to install Windows on as many computers as you like, as long as it is installed only on one computer at any given time. OEM licenses are legally bound to the "O"riginal "E"quipment. Period.

I am not saying I like how it is, I am just saying that is the way it is with OEM/System Builders licenses. And I showed where it says that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back