September 8, 2020 - KB4577066 (Monthly Rollup)
Applies to: Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Enterprise, Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro
IMPORTANT Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 have reached the end of mainstream support and are now in extended support. Starting in July 2020, there will no longer be optional, non-security releases (known as "C" releases) for this operating system. Operating systems in extended support have only cumulative monthly security updates (known as the "B" or Update Tuesday release).
IMPORTANT Starting in July 2020, all Windows Updates will disable the RemoteFX vGPU feature because of a security vulnerability. For more information about the vulnerability, seeCVE-2020-1036 and KB4570006. After you install this update, attempts to start virtual machines (VM) that have RemoteFX vGPU enabled will fail, and messages such as the following will appear:
If you re-enable RemoteFX vGPU, a message similar to the following will appear:
- “The virtual machine cannot be started because all the RemoteFX-capable GPUs are disabled in Hyper-V Manager.”
- “The virtual machine cannot be started because the server has insufficient GPU resources.”
Improvements and fixes
- "We no longer support the RemoteFX 3D video adapter. If you are still using this adapter, you may become vulnerable to security risk. Learn more (Microsoft - Official Home Page
This security update includes improvements and fixes that were a part of update KB4571703 (released August 11, 2020) and addresses the following issues:
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, please refer to the Security Update Guide.
- Updates time zone information for Yukon, Canada.
- Addresses an issue when you evaluate the compatibility status of the Windows ecosystem to help ensure application and device compatibility for all updates to Windows.
- Addresses a security vulnerability issue with user proxies and HTTP-based intranet servers. After you install this update, HTTP-based intranet servers cannot leverage a user proxy to detect updates by default. Scans that use these servers will fail if the clients do not have a configured system proxy. If you must leverage a user proxy, you must configure the behavior by using the Windows Update policy “Allow user proxy to be used as a fallback if detection using system proxy fails.” This change does not affect customers who secure their Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) servers that use the Transport Layer Security (TLS) or Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocols. For more information, see Ensuring clients stay secure, changes to scans against Windows Server Update Service (WSUS) servers.
- Security updates to Windows Media, Windows Input and Composition, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Graphics, Windows Cloud Infrastructure, Windows Authentication, Windows Cryptography, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Kernel, Windows Hybrid Cloud Networking, Windows Peripherals, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Network Security and Containers, Windows Update Stack, the Microsoft Scripting Engine, and Windows SQL components.
Known issues in this update
How to get this update
Before installing this update
We strongly recommend that you install the latest servicing stack update (SSU) for your operating system before you install the latest Rollup. SSUs improve the reliability of the update process to mitigate potential issues while installing the Rollup and applying Microsoft security fixes. For general information about SSUs, see Servicing stack updates and Servicing Stack Updates (SSU): Frequently Asked Questions.
If you use Windows Update, the latest SSU (KB4566425) will be offered to you automatically. To get the standalone package for the latest SSU, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog.
Install this update
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for update 4577066.
Source: KB4571703 Security Monthly Quality Rollup Update for Windows 8.1 - August 11
Direct download links for KB4577066 MSU file from Microsoft Update Catalog:
Download KB4577066 MSU for Windows 8.1 32-bit (x86) - 343.3 MB
Download KB4577066 MSU for Windows 8.1 64-bit (x64) - 529.2 MB
Last edited by a moderator: