July 14, 2020 - KB4565541 (Monthly Rollup)
Applies to: Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Embedded 8 Industry Enterprise, Windows Embedded 8 Industry Pro
IMPORTANT Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 have reached the end of mainstream support and are now in extended support. Starting in July 2020, there will no longer be optional, non-security releases (known as "C" releases) for this operating system. Operating systems in extended support have only cumulative monthly security updates (known as the "B" or Update Tuesday release).
IMPORTANT Starting in July 2020, all Windows Updates will disable the RemoteFX vGPU feature because of a security vulnerability. For more information about the vulnerability, seeCVE-2020-1036 and KB4570006. Once this feature is disabled, attempts to start virtual machines (VMs) will fail, and messages such as the following will appear:
If you re-enable RemoteFX vGPU, a message similar to the following will appear:
- “The virtual machine cannot be started because all the RemoteFX-capable GPUs are disabled in Hyper-V Manager.”
- “The virtual machine cannot be started because the server has insufficient GPU resources.”
Improvements and fixes
- "We no longer support the RemoteFX 3D video adapter. If you are still using this adapter, you may become vulnerable to security risk. Learn more (Microsoft - Official Home Page
This security update includes improvements and fixes that were a part of update KB4561666 (released June 9, 2020) and addresses the following issues:
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, please refer to the Security Update Guide.
- Addresses an issue that might prevent some applications from printing documents that contain graphics or large files after installing Windows Updates released June 9, 2020.
- Security updates to Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Apps, Windows Graphics, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Kernel, Windows MSXML, Windows File Server and Clustering, Windows Remote Desktop, Internet Explorer, the Microsoft Scripting Engine, and Windows SQL components.
Known issues in this update
How to get this update
Before installing this update
We strongly recommend that you install the latest servicing stack update (SSU) for your operating system before installing the latest Rollup. SSUs improve the reliability of the update process to mitigate potential issues while installing the Rollup and applying Microsoft security fixes. For general information about SSUs, see Servicing stack updates and Servicing Stack Updates (SSU): Frequently Asked Questions.
If you use Windows Update, the latest SSU (KB4566425) will be offered to you automatically. To get the standalone package for the latest SSU, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog.
Install this update
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for update 4565541.
Direct download links for KB4565541 MSU file from Microsoft Update Catalog:
Download KB4565541 MSU for Windows 8.1 32-bit (x86) - 338.8 MB
Download KB4565541 MSU for Windows 8.1 64-bit (x64) - 520.6 MB