Just joined...impressed

ultra99

I just found out there is a dedicated Windows 8 forums, and still alive in 2018!! That's very impressive, I thought I was the only one using win 8.1.
Happy to be here and hope it doesn't die, as win 8.1 getting a lot of hate, more than win7. :/

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7|8.1|10
I run Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell on two computers -- on one it is the host OS, and on the other it runs in a virtual machine.

I chose Windows 8.1, because Windows 8.1 will be supported by Microsoft till January of 2023. I prefer Windows 7, but it goes out of support on January 2020. And with Classic Shell installed and properly configured, Windows 8.1 looks and feels exactly like Windows 7.

I haven't really seen much hate directed toward Windows 8.1. In my observation, the battle has been between Windows 7 and Windows 10, with Windows 8.1 largely being ignored. But what I have seen is enthusiasm with regard to running Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell as the way to avoid Windows 10 for as long as possible (that is, till January 2023).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (host OS) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (virtual machine)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 3847
    CPU
    Haswell
    Memory
    12 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two hard drives, 1TB each: One for Linux, one for my data.
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M
    Browser
    Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Sophos (Linux), Windows Defender (Windows)
    Other Info
    I use Samba to share my data drive with the other computers at my house.
Back