Just installed Windows 8 - A+ Microsoft

I use a Windows phone

WOW , that's rare.

Cokie is the other one who bought a windows phone.

I couldn't pass it up. I got it free with my contract with my local cellphone carrier.

People are just afraid of change

That is ludicrous and insulting.[/QUOTE]

What is insulting about it? It's true, isn't it? I was afraid of change. I was afraid because the start bar had been replace with a metro UI.

Some people hate it for whatever reason, but other people are afraid to try it. That's just nature of the beast.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP
Hmmm, a 1-post user gushing paragraphs over how amazing Windows 8 is.... Really??

You're just another "Microsoft Viral Marketing Agent" aren't you.

I don't even think people who like Windows 8 would claim it's "A+" material...

Did I really just get called a "Microsoft Viral Marketing Agent" ?

I can honestly say I wasn't expecting this.

FYI - I'm located in Eastern Kentucky. I can't tell you where the nearest Microsoft location is, but I can tell you its not within an hour radius of me. So no, I'm not a "Microsoft Viral Marketing Agent".

My Computer

System One

• OS
I wouldn't even call Windows 7 A+ material, even though it's my favorite OS of all time...

Thank goodness Windows 7 security support will last many many more years.

Maybe A+ was the wrong way to put it. It's A+ as in I think it's a step in the right direction and I like it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I will not be surprise MS pay employees to try to make damage control on forums.

I wouldn't be surprised if the government was out to get us all.

Some posts on here are starting to resemble Alex Jones' Info Wars forum.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
I'm glad you like it as well. I'm highly considering installing it on my other 2 PCs. If I knew for sure my stand alone media players would work well with Windows 8, my other computers would have it installed. As far as I know, my media players work with 8, but still a bit buggy from reports.

I do own 3 Media Players, 2 seagate Freeagent+ and recently bought a 3rd one from AIOS. It depends on the firmware of the player, with Seagate, I did have problem even with Windows 7, I applied some registry tweak then they all work and did the same for Windows 8. With AIOS, I did not have any problem and the reason I bought it because it can play any format that I throw at it.

Thanks!

In a little bit I'll test my media player with Windows 8. I've read of people saying it works but buggy, but that could be because of a number of things.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Well then! Glad to hear your Windows 8 experience is going so far! I have to say, the power options reside in the Settings charm, move the mouse pointer to the left hand corners and move to the middle to reveal them. Hit Settings, and you'll see the options right there. I was once also doing the logging out to shut down back in the day with the Developer Preview. Unlike some people, my pride wasn't damaged and continued to learn a new UI and OS versus backing down saying it's crap because a meager little UI bested me.

You should check out the Customizations thread, one being Post your Start Screen! Some pretty cool things you can do with it! You can also right click on folders and libraries and such and hit Pin to Start to make those items appear on the Start Screen.

Thanks! It's still going great my way.

I haven't checked the Customization threads yet because I haven't had time. I just crawled out of bed and have a few hours free, so I'm going to read over that and see what I can find.

I approached W8 very slowly because I put a lot of weight in others opinions on it. It wasn't nearly as bad as it was made out to be, and it turns out, I'm a fan of it. It didn't take long at all to figure out the basics of it, as I said earlier, all it takes is a little common sense(Not that I'm saying everyone is lacking common sense, I'm speaking towards my friend for throwing in the towel because he couldn't figure out how to shut down his comp with W8 rather than trying to learn it). It isn't that much different from W7 in the way things work.

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in liking W8.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
I have to admit, even as a Windows 8 supporter, I found this post out of the blue fishy for a number of reasons.

1) He claims he installed it an hour earlier, but claims to have done testing with all kinds of things, including Classic Shell and what not.. simply not enough time to have done that. Ok, maybe he was just say "an hour ago" meaning "a bit ago" or something..

2) He immediately jumps to a web forum, which he has never participated in before, and gushes about it. Seems odd. Maybe we were just lucky he found us. Maybe he used sevenforums and knew about the board. If so, why didn't he do some research here?

3) Talked to lots of people that were down on it, but went ahead anyways? Some people do.. but if he talked to so many people, why hadn't had he not posted on the board before? Particularly when this is the first place he went to to gush?

4) Seemed to hit all the common points people complain about and miraculously found no issues. He must be a genius because even I didn't get used to it that quickly.

Now, I think it's complete paranoia to claim that Microsoft is paying people to do this. That's ridiculous. This claim is always made in forums, and frankly doesn't hold up to Occam's Razor. It's probably just someone that likes Windows 8. But then again, it is possible everything they said is true, more or less...

Regardless, whoever it is does like Windows 8. So let's just take it for what it is.

I'm not sure why you found it fishy. I gave a rundown of how my initial W8 experience went, and I tried to be as detailed and give as much information as possible.

1) I had installed it about an hour prior to posting that. I never claimed to do "all kinds of things" with it, just a few things.

The first thing I done was figure out how to shut the computer down, which took maybe a minute. I then put my icons back on my desktop, which takes merely a few seconds. I tested a few of the apps(Weather, IE, and Photos) just to see how they work, and installed a total of 3 programs. I installed Classic Shell (Which downloaded and installed in about 1 minute), and Adobe Photoshop and IMGBurn, both installed quickly and appear to be working correctly.

To be honest, I could have got a lot more done within that hour if I had tried. It probably took 30 minuets at most to do all of that, and that is including time I spent messing around with apps and such. I have yet to do a time test to see how efficient W8 multitasking is.

2) A quick Google search for Windows 8 forums pulled up this website as the top result. It appears much more active than the others, so I joined up. Not sure whats odd about it. I was looking for W8 discussion, just like I'm registered on various sports forums because I want to discuss sports.

I wasn't on sevenforums, but I am a registered member at Windows7Forums.com, though I haven't used it in forever.

3) I talked to lots of people, which are mainly my friends. Between talking to them, YouTube Videos, and other forums complaining about W8, it didn't sound like it was worth trying. Being an independent person, I had to try it for myself, as I always do, and form my own opinion. Others opinions are why I delayed doing so, though.

Also, this is the third place I went to "gush". The first place was over the phone, the second was Facebook, and the third was here.

The main reason for my OP was to tell others if they are considering it but put off by the negativity surrounding it, give it a shot and form their own opinion. I found it far different than the opinions I was given about it.

4) I think I responded to 2 of the complaints I had heard about, which was the shut down issue and no desktop icons. The shutdown issue was obvious IMO, because growing up my family always had multiple user accounts, so it was obvious to look there once it wasn't located on the desktop app or start screen. Esp. when MS informs you during installation about using multiple accounts.

I'm not a genius, in fact, far from it. It didn't take long at all to get used to it. Most of it worked the same and what didn't was easy to figure out using a common sense approach to solve it. The desktop app and start screen gave no option to shut down, so where was the next logical place to look? At the user account.

I apologize if I come off as a dick with this post. I probably couldn't be further from that IRL. That said, you hit the nail on the head with the claim that Microsoft is paying people to give a positive review of W8. That was the last thing I expected to see here, as the thought if it didn't enter my mind as i was typing my initial post.

W8 just hasn't been that difficult for me. Again, a lot of the stuff works exactly the same as it did in W7. Using a smart phone, tablets, and a home PC, I welcome the one OS fits all philosophy from Microsoft.

My Computer

System One

• OS
You might have said you were afraid of change.

To suggest others are is indeed insulting and you have lost all credibility .

Where do you get the idea people don't like w8 because they haven't used it - or haven't used it enough?

There are plenty - reviewers, forum users here and elsewhere who have been using windows for decades ( since before you and I were born ). They have used every new o/s that came out. In what sense are they afraid - or stuck in their ways , or any other insulting tosh that some w8 lovers churn out.

No point in blaming the customers for an unpopular product.

It is unpopular for good reasons - it is a poor product.

If MS aren't careful, they will reimagine themselves up their own fundament.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I'm glad you like it as well. I'm highly considering installing it on my other 2 PCs. If I knew for sure my stand alone media players would work well with Windows 8, my other computers would have it installed. As far as I know, my media players work with 8, but still a bit buggy from reports.

I do own 3 Media Players, 2 seagate Freeagent+ and recently bought a 3rd one from AIOS. It depends on the firmware of the player, with Seagate, I did have problem even with Windows 7, I applied some registry tweak then they all work and did the same for Windows 8. With AIOS, I did not have any problem and the reason I bought it because it can play any format that I throw at it.

Thanks!

In a little bit I'll test my media player with Windows 8. I've read of people saying it works but buggy, but that could be because of a number of things.

I'm curious if you know/find more about this buggy things. i'm talking about the built in media player, my standalone ones are OK.

Like for example why I always get stuttering and crippled sound every second on WMP... The Music App doesn't have any sound problem but refuses to play on double-click like it did until now.

Great OS for me too until issues like this make me love it less every day... well still like it for some good features that 7 lacks, that's all.
I'm not panicking (yet), we'll find some fixes I'm sure. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Now, I think it's complete paranoia to claim that Microsoft is paying people to do this. That's ridiculous. This claim is always made in forums, and frankly doesn't hold up to Occam's Razor. It's probably just someone that likes Windows 8. But then again, it is possible everything they said is true, more or less...

Regardless, whoever it is does like Windows 8. So let's just take it for what it is.

Intel have a paid rep name Christian Wood on Eggxpert forum , I saw him on other forums too. Purolator ( canadian courrier like UPS ) have also a paid rep on Eggxpert, ( Social Media Coordinator , wow they even have a title for that ) On many hardware forums, many companies have rep.

wood.jpg

puro.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8

Where do you get the idea people don't like w8 because they haven't used it - or haven't used it enough?

There are plenty - reviewers, forum users here and elsewhere who have been using windows for decades ( since before you and I were born ). They have used every new o/s that came out. In what sense are they afraid - or stuck in their ways , or any other insulting tosh that some w8 lovers churn out.

I lost all credibility because of that statement? Not that I care about my credibility with a bunch of people on a forum whom I don't know. Go pull up some of the early articles regarding Windows 8(I'm talking when it was announced that the start menu was gone, and the developer/consumer preview articles). You had thousands of posters swearing they would never touch it because the start menu was replaced with a metro UI. Unwillingness to give something a shot because it is different and looks difficult, is called being afraid of change. Is it not? That is exactly how I garnered my opinion that people are afraid of change.

I'm not saying everyone is going to like it. As with any OS, you're going to have people that hate it. What I am saying is there is a lot of people that fail to give it a chance because the start menu is missing and negative reviews surrounding it, hence afraid of change.

I fail to see how it is insulting saying some are afraid of change. An opinion I based off of what I read and people that I have spoken to regarding Windows8. I admitted I was "afraid" because the start menu was missing and bad reviews, but then I had to see for myself. The best advice I can give anyone regarding W8 is give it a try and get a feel for it, then develop a proper opinion on whether you like the product or not. Don't base it off of what you see on paper.

My intention was not to insult anyone and I apologize if I have, but I stand by my comments. There are a lot of people afraid to use W8 because of what I said above IMO. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

My Computer

System One

• OS

Thanks!

I'm curious if you know/find more about this buggy things. i'm talking about the built in media player, my standalone ones are OK.

Like for example why I always get stuttering and crippled sound every second on WMP... The Music App doesn't have any sound problem but refuses to play on double-click like it did until now.

Great OS for me too until issues like this make me love it less every day... well still like it for some good features that 7 lacks, that's all.
I'm not panicking (yet), we'll find some fixes I'm sure. :D

I'll get back to you later tonight regarding this. I have to leave for work and don't have the time to test it at the moment.

Have a good one everybody!

My Computer

System One

• OS
I lost all credibility because of that statement? G

This and a lot of other thing. You have members here who have test Windows 8 since the start, some like it some less, you say to not listen the one who don't love Windows 8, why ?, their opinion is as much important as the one who blindly adopt anything from Microsoft.

My self I'm member since April. I use Windows 8 but I can't say I'm in love. I can live with the Desktop version of 8 but I will not purchase a Windows 8 phone because Android as better to offer. Even Mystere get an Android. And because of this I say Microsoft fail as they unified the Phone, Tablet and desktop OS to try to sell more Phones and Tablets, seems to me from my own experience and other around, they FAIL. SO can they fix Windows 8 for the desktop users now

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I lost all credibility because of that statement? G

This and a lot of other thing. You have members here who have test Windows 8 since the start, some like it some less, you say to not listen the one who don't love Windows 8, why ?, their opinion is as much important as the one who blindly adopt anything from Microsoft.

My self I'm member since April. I use Windows 8 but I can't say I'm in love. I can live with the Desktop version of 8 but I will not purchase a Windows 8 phone because Android as better to offer. Even Mystere get an Android. And because of this I say Microsoft fail as they unified the Phone, Tablet and desktop OS to try to sell more Phones and Tablets, seems to me from my own experience and other around, they FAIL. SO can they fix Windows 8 for the desktop users now

Please find me where I said the opinions of those who don't like W8 aren't as valid as the ones who do, and to blindly accept this product from Microsoft. Please, because I'd really like to see it.

I said not to listen to the negative reviews if that is what is keeping you from trying W8. I never said those opinions was not valid and didn't have some truth to them. Different strokes for different folks. I'm pretty much urging others to not buy into the reviews, good or bad(or in my particular case, the negative ones are what kept me from trying before now) and to test the product for yourself and form your own opinion.

What exactly is wrong here? I was put off by negative reviews, I tried for myself, and it turns out I like the product. I'm telling other to do the same - see for yourself. Nothing more, nothing less. You don't even have to buy it, go to Staples or some other chain that deals with the product and give it a test run.

I really have to get going now. Have a great day!

My Computer

System One

• OS
And some of you are people that see conspiracies in every dark corner. Good to know who you are though.

You have a lot of faith in the human race, and I respect that. But corporations are not human beings. Their sole purpose is to make money. It is not, and never will be a righteous or noble pursuit.

That said, I hope you're right. I hope deception like this doesn't exist and things like the YouTube scandal are all a bad dream.

In the same vain, maybe all that post negative Windows comments are employees of a certain fruit company
I specifically recommended Windows 7. So at least you know I'm genuine in my distaste for Windows 8. Also the usage statistics (approx 1.6%, worse than Vista) back up my opinion. :D

EDIT: By the way Mystere, I noticed in your first post you list no less than 4 very rational and valid reasons as to why the original poster is probably a paid viral marketing agent, and yet all of a sudden, at the end of your post, you contradict yourself by saying "that's ridiculous".

It's as if your rational brain is at odds with the portion of your brain that has been thoroughly programmed to never question authority.

It's quite amusing and depressing at the same time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows
In the same vain, maybe all that post negative Windows comments are employees of a certain fruit company :p

BTW, who is hiding the ancient aliens :rolleyes:

Or from google! Get out of here google and apple! Sickos!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I have to admit, even as a Windows 8 supporter, I found this post out of the blue fishy for a number of reasons.

1) He claims he installed it an hour earlier, but claims to have done testing with all kinds of things, including Classic Shell and what not.. simply not enough time to have done that. Ok, maybe he was just say "an hour ago" meaning "a bit ago" or something..

2) He immediately jumps to a web forum, which he has never participated in before, and gushes about it. Seems odd. Maybe we were just lucky he found us. Maybe he used sevenforums and knew about the board. If so, why didn't he do some research here?

3) Talked to lots of people that were down on it, but went ahead anyways? Some people do.. but if he talked to so many people, why hadn't had he not posted on the board before? Particularly when this is the first place he went to to gush?

4) Seemed to hit all the common points people complain about and miraculously found no issues. He must be a genius because even I didn't get used to it that quickly.

Actually, if you reread it, it doesn't sound like it's questionable. He said he installed it an hour BEFORE posting this. He couldn't find the shutdown options in the Start Screen, so he logged off.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

Does 17 years of using a Taskbar and start menu with every new Windows release 95-7 have any bearing?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Back