Solved Jump Drive with Win 8.1 pro will not install on new ssd

Thanks Bill...I see you agree not to copy tp a flash drive the we are attempting. I am not as well versed in windows as some of you people and i appreiate other opinions.

The 'Create Media Tool' gives you two options..

Create USB media - you just insert a USB and let the tool finish - then boot your pc using setup USB

Create ISO media - right click ISO, burn to DVD - then boot your pc using setup DVD

I have been assuming since post 1 - that you have a partition issue when using DVD and USB setup media - thus we agreed to try this route..

If you could follow directions - But that don't seem to be working either - so please feel free to try other options..

What we are trying to do here is Re-Creating Bare Metal Reset / PBR Recovery Media..

Because PBR Media Applies a Windows Image rather then Setting Up Windows..

This process takes maybe an hour to - download the Setup Media - Extract and Create Decrypted ISO - Prep the Install.wim - apply those images to the Hard Drive..

Basically, you end up with all the required system partitions and a recovery partition, the same way OEM's do it..

I have done this many times - I even spent last night scripting a program that will Prep the Install.wim and Boot.wim - rather then having to copy and paste Image Prep.txt commands into a window..

No this is going to work with your new explanations i think. Hope you are not giving upon this, but do understand if we should do something else. My idea is to go ahead and clean install my dv d 8.0 pro version then upgrading to 8.1 through the store. What do you think? However, I would need to replace my dvd first.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I don't doubt your ability at all, it's all me. I do have a hardware issue though. I am trying usb again. TIA

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Never thought to go ahead see if usb would load windows setup and it did. We were doing-correctly after all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Glad you got it sorted Hawk,

I could not install from CD, however, I got one screen past where I entered the product key. Formated with Active Boot Disk and tried again. I am wondering if the jump drive doesn't have a required file or files. I didn't see any large files or cabs.

I didn't realize you wanted a Bare Metal Recovery / Push Button Reset - silly me.
I thought you were just having trouble installing Win8.1 Pro :;)

Pretty cool stuff though.

Bill

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro | Win10TP Pro - boot to VHD
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6-c610us
    CPU
    AMD VISION A6-3420M Quad-Core (2.4GHz/1.5GHz)
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6520G Discrete-Class Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP 2072a (20" LED)
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 640GB (5400 RPM)
    Seagate 2 TB external
    WD 500 GB external
    Keyboard
    Logitech K520 (wireless bundle)
    Mouse
    Logitech M310 (wireless bundle)
    Browser
    IE 11 (default) & Pale Moon
    Other Info
    HP product specs:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv6-6c00-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/5191856/model/5218495/document/c03138553/
KYHI certainly knew what to do....not untill I went back through post by post did it work for me. This one of the best forums on the net.

Thanks everyone.
:dinesh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Glad you got it sorted Hawk,

I could not install from CD, however, I got one screen past where I entered the product key. Formated with Active Boot Disk and tried again. I am wondering if the jump drive doesn't have a required file or files. I didn't see any large files or cabs.

I didn't realize you wanted a Bare Metal Recovery / Push Button Reset - silly me.
I thought you were just having trouble installing Win8.1 Pro :;)

Pretty cool stuff though.

Bill

I scripted that whole recovery process,
by getting the proper setup media,
prepping the windows image,
partitioning the hard drive
and use recovery media to apply those Images

Once you prep a windows Image the only thing that changes between the many different PC's are the Drivers and Product Key

And that is scripted Too.. In a Nutshell..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB