Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel
    Browser
    msn.com
    Antivirus
    norton
Java provides functionality that many programs use in the form of small programs called "applets". The first time a Java applet is requested by a program, that applet is created and kept in the Java folder. That applet can then be reused again and again.

Sometimes a program which uses Java will have issues. One way to fix the issues is to delete all of the Java temporary files (i.e. the applets which have been created and stored on the computer). If you do this, then the next time an applet is requested by a program, Java will recreate the applet, giving you a fresh, non-corrupted copy. It takes a moment to recreate the applet, so you don't want to delete the Java temp files unless you need to, because doing so will slow things down the first time they are requested, because Java will have to recreate them.

If you don't have Java installed on your computer, some programs won't run. It all depends on if those programs have been written to need Java.

It is important to get updates for Java as they are released, to make sure that recently discovered vulnerabilities will be patched.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (host OS) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (virtual machine)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 3847
    CPU
    Haswell
    Memory
    12 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two hard drives, 1TB each: One for Linux, one for my data.
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M
    Browser
    Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Sophos (Linux), Windows Defender (Windows)
    Other Info
    I use Samba to share my data drive with the other computers at my house.
Back