• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Java memory use

How this is the proper forum. Running W8.1. My system has been slow for a few months. A little slow on bootup, VERY slow after 2-3 days.
For example, after 2-3 days, it takes 2-3 minutes for Word to open. 4 minutes for an email to fully open. Pushing the Windows button can take 3-5 minutes to get the Windows screen. Reboot takes me back to 'a little slow.'
I ran the last week with resmon open and watched RAM use. The biggest culprit it Firefox, which, after 2-3 days takes up 1.8-1.9G of my 4G RAM. I've since gone to using IE. 2dn biggest user is JAVA, which uses 0.7-0.9G RAM. Is this normal? If not, how do I find the cause?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model Number
    HP

wiganken

JAVA has had security issues for some while now and I understand very few programs require it these days. It must be over 2 years now sonce I uninstalled JAVA from my installed programs list and I have not come across any prompts asking me to install it because the program requires it. I suggest you uninstall JAVA and you will get back that 0.9GB RAM it is using.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Thanks for the reply. Control Panel>Programs and Features>Uninstall.
Java isn't there. How do I delete it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model Number
    HP

wiganken

Open Task Manager (TM) and select the "Processes" tab. Find and select "Java" then click on "End Task". Also in TM click on the "Start-up" tab, select "Java" then click on "Disable". If you find that some program shows a pop-up stating that Java is not running and asks you to enable it then that program has security issues and I would ignore the pop-up. Modern, security concious program writers should not be using Java.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop