iseeuu

VIP Member
It's What You Don't Know You Don't Know

Words I have lived by:

It's not what you know
It's not what you don't know
It's what you don't know you don't know
That can ruin your day

Over the years I have visited numerous Forum sites seeking answers and help. I noticed many have a sticky at the top of the Home Page and Search Result Page to help the forum infants help themselves, if they will read it. As I have just registered here, I am asking if this is something that has already been given consideration? Valuable or not?

Some infant behavior I have observed is "Help Me" as a heading; non-descriptive. Expecting someone else to do all their research for them; although the forum search engine does seem to find nothing or everything. Not including the steps already tried to remedy their issue; posting "tried that" repeatedly wastes valuable time. No system details.

I think the issue is the infants won't know what they don't know unless someone tries to explain it to them. There will always be those who just don't get it. We try to help them anyway. As new Windows move to retail, those who seek help will have vastly varying abilities. Isn't it true that the infants will be the most difficult to help, but are also those who most need our help?

Robert :(

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
Its not what you know
Its not what you don't know
Its what you don't know you don't know
That can ruin your day

For the grammar/sp nazi in me, use "it's" contraction, not "its" possessive. ;)

Any ways, I'd like to add to that...

The wisdom you've acquired will help you deal with the knowledge you haven't learned.

:D

My Computer

Donald Rumsfeld is that you? :rolleyes:

Not off to a good start with the first post being this, sorry.:eek:
Its OK, really. The Misses is an English major and has for the past 30 or so years been correcting my spelling and grammar. She just can't be looking over my shoulder all the time. I appreciate someone who catches those things and is willing to speak up!

:D :D :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
I meant I was not on a good start with this being my first post, sorry for the confusion.

I'm going to lay down coming off the pain killers and antibiotics are making me feel weird.

My Computer

I meant I was not on a good start with this being my first post, sorry for the confusion.

I'm going to lay down coming off the pain killers and antibiotics are making me feel weird.
OK ...... That's no problem either. Welcome to THE Windows 8 Forums!! I am honored you chose to make your first post in my thread.

Pain killers can be a pain to get off of ... I know.

:) :) :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
For the grammar/sp nazi in me, use "it's" contraction, not "its" possessive. ;)

Any ways, I'd like to add to that...

The wisdom you've acquired will help you deal with the knowledge you haven't learned.

:D

I'm sorry ciphernemo, but you have failed your own grammar scrutiny. :D

You can't learn knowledge. You acquire it, just as you do wisdom. :p

Greetz (slang)

My Computer

Pain killers can be a pain to get off of ... I know. Tell me about it 11 years on Percodan and Morphine. I go thru hell if I go 12 hrs without taking my meds.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Seven Ultimate 64 /Xp Home sp3
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Thefabe
    CPU
    Intel Q6600 GO steppping 2.4 @ 2.63
    Motherboard
    Asus P5N-D
    Memory
    8 gig's OCZ Fata1ty 1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 260 Superclocked
    Sound Card
    Creative Labs Audigy 2zs
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP 23in TFT
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p 60hz
    Hard Drives
    WD 200 Blue / Wd 500 Blue / Seagate 120gb 2.5 in External Drive / Seagate 80 gb 2.5 in External Drive / LG 10x BDRW / TSST DVDRW / Sony DVDRW
    PSU
    OCZ 700 w Gamextreme
    Case
    NZXT Apollo
    Cooling
    Masscool CPU / Dominator Memory/ 3 120mm
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX5000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1000
    Internet Speed
    19.83mb/s DL 0.97 Mb/s up
    Other Info
    Logitech Z2300 2.1 speakers and Bose Comfort Headphones, Epson NX415 all in one printer, 4port powered USB hub PCAmp 40 x 40
Pain killers can be a pain to get off of ... I know. Tell me about it 11 years on Percodan and Morphine. I go thru hell if I go 12 hrs without taking my meds.

:p I don't think I have ever taken more than 1 Advil a week.. If even that.

Sean

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.8GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (rev. 1.0)
    Memory
    Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+
    Sound Card
    Integrated HD Sound Chip - Realtek ALC889A
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual (19'' Samsung 1440 x 900 (2ms) SyncMaster Widescreen)
    Screen Resolution
    2880x900 (Dual 1440x900)
    Hard Drives
    WD Caviar Blue - 500 GB, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM (WD5000AAKS)
    PSU
    OCC Gamestream 600w
    Case
    Apevia X-Discovery
    Cooling
    1 Back Fan - 1 Side Case Fan - 1 Front Case Fan
    Keyboard
    Razer Lycosa
    Mouse
    Razer DeathAdder
    Internet Speed
    Download: 21.08Mb/s | Upload: 3.20Mb/s | Ping: 13ms
    Other Info
    Microsoft LifeCam Cinema
    A40 Audio System - MLG Edition
Words I have lived by:

It's not what you know
That can ruin your day

Over the years I have visited numerous Forum sites seeking answers and help. I noticed many have a sticky at the top of the Home Page and Search Result Page to help the forum infants help themselves, if they will read it. As I have just registered here, I am asking if this is something that has already been given consideration? Valuable or not?

Some infant behavior I have observed is "Help Me" as a heading; non-descriptive. Expecting someone else to do all their research for them; although the forum search engine does seem to find nothing or everything. Not including the steps already tried to remedy their issue; posting "tried that" repeatedly wastes valuable time. No system details.

I think the issue is the infants won't know what they don't know unless someone tries to explain it to them. There will always be those who just don't get it. We try to help them anyway. As new Windows move to retail, those who seek help will have vastly varying abilities. Isn't it true that the infants will be the most difficult to help, but are also those who most need our help?

Yeah, I agree. Infants isn't a very appropriate term though ;):rolleyes: . But isn't part of the fun of helping, doing the research etc., finding drivers and so on?

It is for me. Don't really like easy jobs. I'm ice :cool:

ZeshanA

My Computer

Sometimes you need to teach others how to help themselves.

What looks simple to some may be completely incomprehensible to others. But, they do need to start somewhere. To help people in these types of forums they need to have at least some basics and the willingness to try to learn on their own.
The fix it for me crowd should try another venue.

These forums are based on giving, learning and finding answers when you need a little help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570K 4.6GHz
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X UD3H f18
    Memory
    8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600 CORSAIR Vengeance CL8 1.5v
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samaung 840Pro 128GB, Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb, Seagate 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm Scout
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 w/Noctua NF P12 12cm fan, case fans 2X14cm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8Pro: Baytrail Z3740D, 2GB Ram, 64GB HDD, 8" IPS Display 1280 x 800, Active Stylus.
    Haswell laptop: HP Envy 17t-j, i7-4700MQ, GeForce 740M 2GB DDR3, 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 1TB Hitachi 7200 HDD,
    Desktop: eSATA ports,
    External eSATA Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm,
Sometimes you need to teach others how to help themselves.

What looks simple to some may be completely incomprehensible to others. But, they do need to start somewhere. To help people in these types of forums they need to have at least some basics and the willingness to try to learn on their own.
The fix it for me crowd should try another venue.

These forums are based on giving, learning and finding answers when you need a little help.
Thanks, Dave ... I agree. Sometimes we need to show them what they don't know they don't know, before they can be helped. Helps me to remember what I felt the first time I installed Linux!

Cheers!
Robert

My Computer

System One

• OS
Not sure I would like to be an "infant".

I can see where you are coming from though...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x32 Pro
    Compaq Presario F700
    CPU
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK 53
    Memory
    2GB RAM
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built in
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800 (Recomended)
    Hard Drives
    FUSITSU MHY2200BH ATA DEVICE
    ST925031 5AS USB DEVICE
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Logitech
Not sure I would like to be an "infant".

I can see where you are coming from though...
Except that at one time you were an infant. Were you expected to act like an adult? work like an adult? talk like an adult? reason like an adult? No ... not at all ... none of us were. We received special treatment, mothered and fathered, until we were ready to strike out on our own. There is no shame attached to having been an infant. We all start at the same place, everything we know, we learned. Like if you can read this, you should thank a teacher.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Words I have lived by:

It's not what you know
That can ruin your day

many people aren't aware of proper forum etiquette. they are also unaware of how to properly ask for help, or how to properly search it out on there own. most of the help i provide to other users comes from a quick google search that would take someone that knew how to properly use a search engine seconds to find. you know this when you volunteer your services. i really dont mind. i have a lot of free time on my hands. with my profession i spend most days sitting around the house and on rare occasion i'll get a call telling me to meet the copter and prepare for a dive. this helps keep boredom from driving me insane.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 Extreme 3.33GHz
    Motherboard
    EVGA X-58 SLI Classified
    Memory
    12GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x EVGA 285 2GB in SLI
    Sound Card
    Creative Labs X-Fi ExtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    30" Viewsonic
    Hard Drives
    2x1TB Western Digital 7200RPM in RAID 0/1TB WD My Book External HDD
    PSU
    Thermaltake 1000w supporting quad SLI
    Case
    Thermaltake Armor Full Tower
    Cooling
    Thermaltake V1 CPU+DIY Liquid cooling
many people aren't aware of proper forum etiquette. they are also unaware of how to properly ask for help, or how to properly search it out on there own. most of the help i provide to other users comes from a quick google search that would take someone that knew how to properly use a search engine seconds to find. you know this when you volunteer your services. i really dont mind. i have a lot of free time on my hands. with my profession i spend most days sitting around the house and on rare occasion i'll get a call telling me to meet the copter and prepare for a dive. this helps keep boredom from driving me insane.
And it is working ... right? <BG>

My Computer

System One

• OS
I suppose another thing to remember is that when the "infant", I like that makes me feel young again, first comes to a forum like this they're in a panic because something is not doing what it's supposed to do and they don't know what to do.

We've probably all felt that way at some time, I know I still do, so having someone who can go at a baby steps pace will help them to feel a lot better and probably want to learn more after they have their problem solved.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32 bit/ Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Zoostorm/ Asus K55A Notebook
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2400 MHz
    Motherboard
    Foxconn 45CMX/45GMX/45CMX-K
    Memory
    2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM)/8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Corp 82945G Integrated Graphics Controller
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hanns.G HH221 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    ExcelStor (250GB)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (UK)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Just under 4MB download it's ADSL.
    Other Info
    Epson Stylus SX415 All-in-one Printer,
    Seagate Expansion 500GB External Desktop Drive
I suppose another thing to remember is that when the "infant", I like that makes me feel young again, first comes to a forum like this they're in a panic because something is not doing what it's supposed to do and they don't know what to do.

We've probably all felt that way at some time, I know I still do, so having someone who can go at a baby steps pace will help them to feel a lot better and probably want to learn more after they have their problem solved.
Well said Joan. Words of wisdom; like fine wine, wisdom only improves with time. <BG> ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
Oh Robert here was me feeling like an infant not long ago now I'm going the other way, my husband usually says fine wine matures with age
:cool: :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32 bit/ Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Zoostorm/ Asus K55A Notebook
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2400 MHz
    Motherboard
    Foxconn 45CMX/45GMX/45CMX-K
    Memory
    2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM)/8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Corp 82945G Integrated Graphics Controller
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hanns.G HH221 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    ExcelStor (250GB)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (UK)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Just under 4MB download it's ADSL.
    Other Info
    Epson Stylus SX415 All-in-one Printer,
    Seagate Expansion 500GB External Desktop Drive
Back