Issues while creating Windows 8 System Image

VRakesh

Hi,
I started to use the "Create System Image" of the "Windows 7 File Recovery" on my Windows 8 laptop. But after the screen which flashes the total size that would be required, when I ask it to start the process expecting it to prompt me for the 1st DVD, it flashes the message, - "The back-up failed. The system is not ready. (0x80070015) " . I am trying this on an out-of-the-box laptop with pre-installed Windows 8. Also tried it by disabling the anti-virus, but to no avail.

Then I tried to start the process with a 4.7 GB blank DVD already in place. Then it flashed the message "Insert a blank media bigger than 1 GB". Since I expected it take anywhere between 3-8 DVDs, I kept about 9 DVDs ready. I also inserted a USB pen-drive of 16 GB and tried to create the system image. Again it flashed the same message of insert a blank media greater than 1 GB in F:\ (same drive as USB
:huh:) -??????? I mean the USB is already in place and has been assigned the drive letter as F:\. How can I insert a blank media there ??:huh:

This has me totally puzzled and I would be obliged if someone could throw light on this. I am using Windows 8 Single Language. I was able create a repair disc without issues, though.

Regards,

Rakesh

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Single Language Ed.
Have you followed this tutorial?
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8956-system-image-create-windows-8-a.html

Also, how large is the backup you are making? I've generally only had good luck with the inbox Windows Backup utility when backing up to a second physical hard disk. If you need to do anything more than this very basic, consider something like Macrium reflect. Searching the eightforums.com site will net you posts relating to making system backups of Windows 8, for what it may be worth to you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
Hi Cluberti,
Thank you for your reply. The tool utility says that system image will be about 52 GB in size.
Yes, I started off the process trying to follow the steps outlined at the link mentioned by you.

UPDATE::
Now, I started off the process with the blank DVD already in place. Now it keeps going into a loop where it keeps asking me insert DVD No1 each time. After wasting 3 DVDs and some more research on the web, I got to know that sometimes this doesn't work on DVD-R discs and it may work with DVD-RW discs only.

Rather than be a hostage to faulty/damaged DVDs later, I thought I would use an external portable drive to create the windows 8 system image. Could you please tell me if my personal data can co-exist with multiple versions of system image on my adequately sized portable hard drive?? If yes, can I also start off the process on my portable hard drive with my personal data already in place ??
I intend to use the windows 8 tool to create the system image.
Also I read from the tutorial that you mentioned above that I can store multiple system images(or versions). Does that mean that during restoration from the system image, will there be provision to actually browse/select the image/version that I want ???

I want to do all this considering that I was not provided with Win 8 DVD for my new laptop. So if the Win 8 OS crashes, this image would be akin to installation sources using a Win-8 Repair Disc (created successfully). I understand that[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif] an image created from Windows 8 system image tool needs to have a repair disc to boot and subsequently needs the image source (either DVD or external HD). J[/FONT]ust for understanding the role of [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Macrium Reflect,in case the system crashes, using the Win 8 Repair disc, can I use the [/FONT]Macrium Reflect created image for restoration ???

Thanks,

Rakesh

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Single Language Ed.
Macrium images can be used for making full backups for restore purposes, yes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
Hi,
Thank you for the reply.
In my case, I have my Windows 8 OS in C: partition and data in D: partition on one hard disk.
During system image creation to a portable hard drive, I am presented with a choice of drive selection as below.

1. EFI System Partion -selected and grayed out
2. Windows8_OC (C:) (System) -selected and grayed out
3. New_Volume (D:)
4. WINRE_DRV(system) -selected and grayed out

A snap-shot of the selection screen is attached.

My requirement is that during a system image recovery, I would only want a previous installation image of the OS on C: partition but the personal data on D: partition should be untouched and safe.

Hence, I wanted to confirm two aspects for system image creation and restoration from/on the same disk
(i) During system image creation, I should not select D: in this case, isn't it ??
(ii)Thereafter during system restoration, I again wanted to confirm that I should not select format and repartition

The thing that confuses me is that it is written in these forums that full hard disc will be formatted during restoration.
Actually I am running short of external spaces to back up data and hence the need to have latest data in D partition untouched during system restoration, while just doing a fresh(image) install of Win-8 on C: from image

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Rakesh

View attachment 22858

Attachments

• Drive Selection Choices During Windows 8 System Image Creation.png
    Drive Selection Choices During Windows 8 System Image Creation.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 680
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS