Is Windows 8 a failure ? Time to say bye, bye MSFT ?

Some people don't like change. They would rather complain about the new and stay with the old.

Keep up with changes or be left behind.

As for me, I like Windows 8. It runs just fine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-990FX
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 980
jbfoster. from my experience when XP was release their complains was fakes, the real reasons was ; their PCs was too obsolete to upgrade and they can afford a new one, this is what I experience at the time in my place, when at the time I have 3 computers stores. When they see the price tag, they start to say,,,,I will wait, XP is not reliable, it's not this and that. But when pirated version make surface, they all upgrade, $ 100 was too much for them too upgrade. This was a time where peoples was pirating like hell, they don't want pay for a software. Now time change, they don't repair their old PC or upgrade , they buy a new notebook instead. That's is if they don't get a phone

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
I never used XP. For a couple of years I was running a pirated version of Windows 7. I then purchased two keys for Windows 7 off Ebay. I feel that $199 for Windows is way to much money. Now is the time get Windows 8 before it goes up to $199.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-990FX
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 980
Some people don't like change. They would rather complain about the new and stay with the old.

That's not well conceived is it? change for change sake achieves nothing, change for innovation and design, change for ergonomics that fine to, but panic change because your losing market share is not the way to go. Windows 8, will in my view flop like their mobile 7 and 8 has.............:thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & Win8
    PB Easynote LJ71
    CPU
    AMD Turion II M500
    Motherboard
    Packard Bell/chipset 785GX/SB700
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATi/AMD HD4200
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Screen Resolution
    HD LCD 1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB
Phil you have dam good post today......

I like this one "panic change because your losing market share is not the way to go"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
You do not have to change to Windows 8. That's a choice every person will have to make. Some time in the future Windows XP and 7 will no longer be supported. You will then have no choice to upgrade if you want to stay current. I think XP support stops next year or 2014. Windows 7 support stops in about 6 years so every one has plenty of time to see where Windows 8 goes. By all means you do not have to upgrade now. All I am saying you will need to upgrade at some point or be left behind with unsupported OS. This is a fact know one can change. I would rather do it now for $39.99 then latter for $199.

Like I said, some people do not like changes. They would rather complain about the new and stay with old.... This is a fact.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-990FX
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 980
I have always enjoyed all of the windows previous advancement's, just don't get this one, shame such a missed opportunity, I'm currently testing Mac osx86 Tiger VMware version, I'll probably stick with Win 7, and migrate to Linux or Apple, when the need arises! My days of putting up with Microsoft are coming to an end it seems. Microsoft's planned rundown of win 7 is far enough away though, Win7 I can't praise highly enough, it's only downfall as I see is buggy Internet Explorer 9, always falling over, having to uninstall and re-install, but other than that does the job very well, anyway that's my moan over.[h=1][/h]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & Win8
    PB Easynote LJ71
    CPU
    AMD Turion II M500
    Motherboard
    Packard Bell/chipset 785GX/SB700
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATi/AMD HD4200
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Screen Resolution
    HD LCD 1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB

Oh great, one more time with this nonsense. Look, some people don't like change for the worse. It's not change, per se. The would rather not have to complain. Your flippant dismissal is rude and offensive. At least you didn't say "some people are afraid of change".

This whole thread is nothing more than "i like it", "i don't like it", "ilke it", ad nauseam.

I'm glad that you like Windows 8. There is no need to belittle people who don't.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Compac Presario SR5518F
    CPU
    Dual Pentium E2180 (2 GHz)
    Motherboard
    MS-7525 (Boston)
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT

Exactly

Rod

Again with the arrogant, flippant dismissal. Way to go. You're just turning people off and driving them away.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Compac Presario SR5518F
    CPU
    Motherboard
    MS-7525 (Boston)
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
Stop with the name calling. If not go else where.

I stand by my post. I know a couple coworkers that said they wont switch to windows 8 because they dont want to learn a new OS that they will just stay with their current OS.

I like Windows 8. I dont mind the learning curve. To stay up to date there will be changes you will need to learn. This happens not only with an OS but most software.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-990FX
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 980
Stop with the name calling. If not go else where.

I stand by my post. I know a couple coworkers that said they wont switch to windows 8 because they dont want to learn a new OS that they will just stay with their current OS.

I like Windows 8. I dont mind the learning curve. To stay up to date there will be changes you will need to learn. This happens not only with an OS but most software.

That settles it then, a couple of your coworkers said so.

I am quitting this forum - all there seems to be is pro-Win8 fanbois and anti-Win8 trolls. Getting impossible to have an intelligent conversation.

Good luck everyone, whatever OS you choose.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Compac Presario SR5518F
    CPU
    Motherboard
    MS-7525 (Boston)
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
Yes they did say that. That's their choice.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-990FX
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 980
Buzz was higher because it was a new release. It will take time for people to warm up to it and for it to become more widely used. On top of that, more and more PCs will have 8 out of the gate and the rate of 8 users will rise.

And there are always people who don't want to switch because they don't want to. There are people who still use XP for no other reason than because they are used to it and don't want to switch to the much superior 7. Plus, there are always people who wait for a while after an OS releases so MS can work out the bugs. XP wasn't that great until SP2 and we all know Vista, which had most issues fixed by SP1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 920 2.66GHz (OC to 3.8GHz)
    Motherboard
    MSI Pro x58
    Memory
    6GB OCZ Gold
    Graphics Card(s)
    Two GTX 460s in SLI
    Sound Card
    Xonar DX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 21.5" Display
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    PSU
    Corsair 750tx
    Case
    Xclio Windtunnel
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14

That's not well conceived is it? change for change sake achieves nothing, change for innovation and design, change for ergonomics that fine to, but panic change because your losing market share is not the way to go. Windows 8, will in my view flop like their mobile 7 and 8 has.............:thumb:
Windows was never losing any significant market share to begin with.

And I also don't put stock in someone's saying of Windows Mobile 7 and 8, when isn't even Windows Mobile anymore. This goes to show that one isn't terribly informed. :thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

Oh great, one more time with this nonsense. Look, some people don't like change for the worse. It's not change, per se. The would rather not have to complain. Your flippant dismissal is rude and offensive. At least you didn't say "some people are afraid of change".

This whole thread is nothing more than "i like it", "i don't like it", "ilke it", ad nauseam.

I'm glad that you like Windows 8. There is no need to belittle people who don't.

:ditto:

And the reverse, don't be belittling the ones that do enjoy it. It's getting pointless.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
It's not a failure. Definitely could have been even better. I have mixed feelings about it but not where I would say it fails. On the "tablet" side of things all is well save for a few things like more types of resize and other minor tweaks. The desktop is where I would say they definitely need to do a few more things to make it more successful.

My Computer

I guess that ...

I also think the new IE10 is awesome, in that it allows you to surf with entire screen, with all toolbars invisible, and a simple right click to bring up tabs, etc. I just love it. I love simplicity && function, and Microsoft nailed it! ;)

I guess that you've never heard of the "F11" key.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Personally I feel the OS hasn't change my life. It's just as fast as Windows 7. Faster shutdown and boot up. I like sports, news, weather, marketwatch ! Guess what right out of the box all those programs were there I love how I can have it on the side using a quarter of my screen one 1 monitor.
That's my opinion on personal preference.

Opinions of some of my friends, some are having a hard time learning because for one all they do is spend their time on the browser looking up weird funny pictures. I can't believe people waste their time like that but anyways. Over time he's been able to pick it up and learn new tricks.

Microsoft as a company itself, is doing a great job at staying awake and changing! We all seen many companies in the technology sector go from being one of the most recognized brands by consumer to quickly becoming obsolete in the consumer mind sometimes other way around (consumer vs enterprise/business are separated for simplification.). This 4th quarter the technology took a hard hit, really hard. Microsoft did not have a severe impact as strong as it's major competitors. MSFT over the last 5 years has had a steady but consistent growth, there dividends, balanced sheets and cash flow statements are still normal and looking in the green zone. Some investors prefer bigger growth and bigger risk but that's a whole different game. Microsoft wasn't made in a day and it wont fall over EVEN IF windows 8 is a failure.

IN FINAL:
The product to me is good, the others whether they like or not like it so much will still find it acceptable and eventually move on into the new products. Windows continues to be 90%+ of the market share not including tablets/phones. Right now Microsoft has to worry about getting users out of Windows 7 into Windows 8. It's Windows 8 vs Windows 7 not apple not google not Linux.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    N/A
    CPU
    AMD FX 6300
    Motherboard
    GYGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 3.0
    Memory
    24GB DDR3 (4GB/4GB/8GB/8GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 6850
    Sound Card
    Integrated (Realtek HD Audio)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    3 X 19" monitors
    Screen Resolution
    4580 x 900
    Hard Drives
    WD 80GB
    WD 640GB
    WD 1,000GB
    WD 4,000GB
    PSU
    Rosewill Hive-650
    Case
    Antec 300 V2
    Cooling
    Stock Cooling
    Keyboard
    Saitek Eclipse II
    Mouse
    Logitech G402
    Internet Speed
    D: 60Mbps U: 5Mbps
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    I also have a hub for 6 extra usb port AC powered.
    Microsoft LifeCam 720P
    HP LaserJet Pro M1212NF
    2 x 8 Port GB Switches
    1 X Netgear Router Netgear WNDR3700 v2 W/ DD-WRT
    and Much more
I have just upgraded to windows 8 pro. I did it about a week ago, so far I think it is a great os, much better than xp or vista. Never really used windows 7 so can't compare them but outside of the funky start screen that I am getting used to windows 8 is well put together i think

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 professional
    Dell Inspiron b130
    CPU
    1.7 ghz
    Memory
    1gb
Back