Is Windows 8 a failure ? Time to say bye, bye MSFT ?

There aren't really any viable options for many people.

It is not a level playing field.

MS have been in trouble before - and been handed fines - for that very reason.

What do you think all the Monopolies commissions do all day?

That's just it, they are not a monopoly, there are options. You wouldn't get far in court at all.

As far as uniforimty goes, you are right, that sucks, but you can't expect everything to stay the same. It sucks and that is all that can be said. Stay with 7 or buy a copy from elsewhere or buy a used PC from CL or Ebay. There are just as many folks that like 8 as there are that don't. If you don't like it or want unifomity between work and home start planning now, cause it isn't going to change from this point on.

Geeve

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
MS are a business.

They will respond to what the customers tell them - if there enough of them.

Just giving in is pathetic.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I have never seen a true RPG or player vs player gamers use a touch pad....but there might be a first.
My point is it's not going to fly off the shelve with the way it changed the interaction with the user. I'll bet my little pinky on that..you might see more Windows tablets and maybe even phones but not P.C's flying off the shelves.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64bit Pro
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x4 455 Black Edition
    Motherboard
    Asus Crosshair III Formula AM3 DDR3 790FX
    Memory
    12 GB Corsair Dominator
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 660 ti
    Sound Card
    Asus FX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    36" HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    2 GB W.D.
    PSU
    Sigma Shark SP-635W
    Case
    Thermaltake Spedo Full Tower Case
    Cooling
    Thermaltake CL-P0466 SpinQ Gaming
    Keyboard
    Xtreme Gear
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
There are different opinions on Windows 8 present and future success.

EightForums is the biggest forum for Windows 8.
After 2 weeks of official Windows 8 launch to general public we see a decline in visits to the forum and the most visited Windows forum is still SevenForums.

I totally disagree. The metro UI , to me anyway, is completely sexy and incredible, and I totally favor it to the boring by comparison, windows 7 UI.

Maybe its the artist in me that loves the whole experience, but Im so glad Microsoft made Metro , but I think it appeals to others too because its so dynamic ;)

I wish I had a touch screen, as that would be pure nirvana, but I just have a 24" display.

I love how Windows 8 mirrors WP7, and now WP8, and I think its a simple matter that windows 8 is JUST NOW on the market, as is WP8.

People don't switch to a new OS, immediately ;)

I'ts new, just as one day a while ago, Apples new OS was new, and many were outraged!

I fell in love with WP7, being SO glad I could get away from those boring & outdated icons on android and apple, and I still use my WP7 and absolutely love it, always have, and I look fwd to getting a WP8 device ;)

I also think the new IE10 is awesome, in that it allows you to surf with entire screen, with all toolbars invisible, and a simple right click to bring up tabs, etc. I just love it. I love simplicity && function, and Microsoft nailed it! ;) SO many new features in windows 8, and Microsoft is doing a fantastic thing, offering win8 PRO SO cheaply atm. I see zero reason for complaints, as it just takes a little digging into how things work now, and it should be clear to anyone, that they are doing a masterful job of 'uniting' tablets, phones and desktops ;)

cu
lee

:ditto:

This is like everything I've said for the past year... :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Yeah, seeing as Windows 8 is three weeks old and is still in a honeymoon phase, it's WAY too early to call it a failure or success.

The dynamics around this release are far different than 7's release. Windows 7 was vista 2.0 after that warmed over pile of glassy, securer xp poo, 7 was a GOD send. Right now, Windows 7 still performs real well, which Windows 8 expands upon like hybrid boot, improved system efficiencies, ect. But that may or may not be enough to get people to upgrade. Where 7 was a needed and demanded release to fix genuine performance issues, Microsoft got away with not introducing many new features. I can think of a few off the top of my head of new features to 7 over vista; overall though the main argument was faster and efficient performance.

Windows 8 isn't selling itself as a needed or demanded OS to fix performance issues, it's selling itself for feature sets and benefits. Like for example, the metro apps and Windows Store; that consolidates the need of a smartphone or phablet into your PC so you can use the one device you're on to browse and access the content that you would on your phablet or smartphone. The new tablet PCs do the same, where those consolidate a laptop and phablet into one nice device.

As for the UI changes go, I still call BS on the dissent. It's just OVERRATED. There is NO physical impediment in using it over the start menu AT ALL. Make some simple changes and you have the same functionality, but improved, over the start menu. There is no cognitive burden or whatever nonsense. Remember Windows 7's new Taskbar? I remember the first few months, THAT was the actual complaint people were had. Some said it was too big and confusing and reverted it back. In retrospect, not many people have it reverted the old style (maybe because they don't know how) and actually LEARNED how to take advantage of the pinning abilities and using the jump lists as well. Do you hear of people complaining about the Taskbar anymore? Nope. NOT. AT. ALL. Same is what will happen with the Start Screen. People will complain about it, but after a couple of years that will be no more as people take it upon themselves to LEARN how to use it effectively.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Yeah, seeing as Windows 8 is three weeks old and is still in a honeymoon phase, it's WAY too early to call it a failure or success.

The dynamics around this release are far different than 7's release. Windows 7 was vista 2.0 after that warmed over pile of glassy, securer xp poo, 7 was a GOD send. Right now, Windows 7 still performs real well, which Windows 8 expands upon like hybrid boot, improved system efficiencies, ect. But that may or may not be enough to get people to upgrade. Where 7 was a needed and demanded release to fix genuine performance issues, Microsoft got away with not introducing many new features. I can think of a few off the top of my head of new features to 7 over vista; overall though the main argument was faster and efficient performance.

Windows 8 isn't selling itself as a needed or demanded OS to fix performance issues, it's selling itself for feature sets and benefits. Like for example, the metro apps and Windows Store; that consolidates the need of a smartphone or phablet into your PC so you can use the one device you're on to browse and access the content that you would on your phablet or smartphone. The new tablet PCs do the same, where those consolidate a laptop and phablet into one nice device.

As for the UI changes go, I still call BS on the dissent. It's just OVERRATED. There is NO physical impediment in using it over the start menu AT ALL. Make some simple changes and you have the same functionality, but improved, over the start menu. There is no cognitive burden or whatever nonsense. Remember Windows 7's new Taskbar? I remember the first few months, THAT was the actual complaint people were had. Some said it was too big and confusing and reverted it back. In retrospect, not many people have it reverted the old style (maybe because they don't know how) and actually LEARNED how to take advantage of the pinning abilities and using the jump lists as well. Do you hear of people complaining about the Taskbar anymore? Nope. NOT. AT. ALL. Same is what will happen with the Start Screen. People will complain about it, but after a couple of years that will be no more as people take it upon themselves to LEARN how to use it effectively.

:ditto:

It's far, and yes I mean FAR too early to judge the success or failure of W8 on the basis of just 17 days. Microsoft knows exactly what it is doing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux Mint 14
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD
Groucho Marx once said that "Rock & Roll" music has no future. Look at it now :thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windpws 8 Pro x64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 530 S
    Memory
    6GB
It is more than a little obvious that MS priced W8 knowing the resistance they would be up against. Even with that I still do not have a single friend or clan member who will use it, not one. Almost everyone of them was on the W7 betas as they came out. Speaks for itself I think.

I have been on w8 for months now, and still outside of boot it just is not any faster at really anything. And I use benchmarks, not what I "feel", lol.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W7
Hi there
MSFT isn't stupid -- there really was a lot of discussion about the role of the desktop in the new version of Windows. For some applications - especially on tablets the W8 system is perfectly OK -- you aren't installing loads of complex applications on a tablet.

Traditional laptops are in decline (they won't go away completely) as are traditional desktops - except for dedicated users such as gamers or servers. Therefore it made sense for Ms to design something which was easy and quick to use on devices like tablets -- If you've tried the RT tablet W8 works fine. Making W8 look like Mobile phone systems also makes it comfortable for people who use smart phones - so the idea of having a common UI over all sorts of devices works very well for a lot of cases.

Where they HAVE IMO screwed it up is in not making the desktop configurable for people who don't want or need touch screens and still work with a keyboard and mouse.

Most people that I know who have looked at W8 actually quite like it. Most of these however aren't what you call "Power users". A bit of surfing, email, some photography, dvd viewing, possibly a little EXCEL and WORD. For this type of user -- W8 is fine.

Some of the people on these Forums who say most people THEY PERSONALLY KNOW really do HATE W8 must have a strange set of friends as my experience is quite the reverse. Most of W8's detractors are what one would call "Power users" and here I would agree -- W8 has serious limitations for these type of users.

Where the whole Metro idea is also a disaster is when you want to use a really large external monitor where you don't want everything to run in full screen mode.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I didn't like windows 8 when I dual booted the prerelease but I upgraded to it on thursday with nothing saved and starting to get used to everything I don't think it's a fail but there should have been an option to keep the classic start menu

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    acer ax3950
    CPU
    i3 530
    Memory
    4 gig ddr 3
    Graphics Card(s)
    dont need one as i go on onlive cloud gaming
    Sound Card
    none
    Monitor(s) Displays
    i-inc 19 inch wide
    Hard Drives
    640 gig
    Cooling
    fan
    Keyboard
    logitec s540
    Mouse
    motor mouse
    Internet Speed
    60 meg virgin media uk
for 75% of the consumers, windows 8 will be fine, general consumption, mobile devices kind of thing.

for 25% of the geek tweakers and businesses out there, windows 8 will be a hard sell.

Microsoft will survive, remember they have all ready stated that the time between each future windows release will be much shorter than in the past, windows 8 falls down a little and they tweak it and release windows 9.

I am hungry now, so i am off to get some pretzels.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro ($39.99 upgrade)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel I5 3570K overclocked to 4.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V LX
    Memory
    Cosrair DDR3-1600 (4 x 4gb)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GT 610 2GB
    Sound Card
    None
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 27" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x0180
    Hard Drives
    Seagate HDD 500gb (windows)
    Seagate HDD 1.5tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    PSU
    CoolMax 700watt
    Case
    Cosiar R400 Carbide series
    Cooling
    Cool Master H212
    Keyboard
    Dell
    Mouse
    PowerUp 3 button mouse
    Internet Speed
    12mb down, 1mb up
    Other Info
    qty. (5) 120mm fans, four are monitored by motherboard.
    Logitech T650 Touchpad for touch screen gestures
Actually, there are a LOT of geeks that are getting on the Windows 8 bandwagon. Most of them complain at first, but find they actually like it If they give it a real chance. half a dozen of the tech guys at work bought Surface tablets and were standing inline for Windows Phone 8 devices.

Windows 8 really is a case of people that have convinced themselves that they hate it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Actually, there are a LOT of geeks that are getting on the Windows 8 bandwagon. Most of them complain at first, but find they actually like it If they give it a real chance. half a dozen of the tech guys at work bought Surface tablets and were standing inline for Windows Phone 8 devices.

Windows 8 really is a case of people that have convinced themselves that they hate it.

And I'd have been one of them, if I'd only tried the DP, and left it at that.

But, I persevered with the CP (which I liked, once I'd customised it somewhat) and am now on the RTM.

Very happy with it, apart from the bland look...:-(

An u/g is definitely looming in my near future.

But, I'll be keeping Win7 on at least one machine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)
    Acer Aspire Ethos AS8951G 'Super-Laptop'.
    CPU
    Intel Sandy-Bridge i7-2670QM quad-core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 3000HD / Ge-Force GT555M 2 gigs
    Sound Card
    Realtek/5.1 Dolby built-in including speakers.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    18.4" full-HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1024
    Hard Drives
    2x750GB Toshiba internal, 1x500GB Seagate external, 1x2TB Seagate external, 1x640GB Toshiba pocket-drive, 1x640GB Samsung pocket drive.
    PSU
    Stock
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    Air-cooled
    Mouse
    I/R cordless.
    Internet Speed
    Borderline pathetic.
They always do this when a new Microsoft OS comes out . I think most of the complainers are from other OS companies , like Apple and so on . Windows 8 is going to be the next big one within time . I like it and i have a pc with xp , 3 laptops >>> Linux Kubuntu , Windows 7 U 64 and now Windows 8 pro 64... I am using 8 more than the rest ...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8 Pro 64
I have only 2 physical PCs ( mine and my son) with 8 and it will stay this way as I have no need to upgrade the other. But I don't make real work on it, I do it on my Windows 7 WS at the side, real reason, I'm experimenting with Windows 8 and Server 2012 and for security reason, I keep my Accounting and business stuff on another network more secure with plain old Server 2008r2. But if I need a new PC in my shop or house, I feel comfortable and I will probably install Windows 8 in it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
The fact is, whenever a new MS OS comes out, there are lots of people that complain.

When XP came out, everyone called it a "Fisher Price OS" and they complained about Activation. Many said they would stay on Windows 98 SE forever. They yelled that games were slower, that nothing was compatible with it, that the new start menu was terrible and that it changed everything to this "Documents and Settings" folder.

When XP SP2 came out, everyone complained about the added security, that it was incompatible with anything, and they said they would remain on XP SP1 forever.

When Vista came out.. well, you know what happened there. Although most of vistas problems were solved with patches within the first couple of months, and definitely by SP1. It still had a bad name. And everyone hated the new start menu, and they said Glass was ugly and terribly designed.

When Windows 7 came out.. it was a little different. People still complained that you couldn't set the start menu to the classic menu, but it was largely pretty well accepted (although lots of people still said they would stay on XP, mostly because they were using pirated versions, which meant they couldn't get windows updates).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
"Where they HAVE IMO screwed it up is in not making the desktop configurable for people who don't want or need touch screens and still work with a keyboard and mouse"

Hi Jimbo,

You are quite right, I have an old-ish desktop with no touch screen, just keyboard and mouse. It takes a bit of time to figure out how to customise it the way it was in Windows 7. In Seven Forums there is a tutorial section=>Tutorials - Windows 7 Forums
:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windpws 8 Pro x64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 530 S
    Memory
    6GB
Mystere I can tell you that peoples was waiting for 95, and they wait longer as it was delayed, Even IBM make some kind of satire advertising with a Plane with a OS/2 logo can't remember the words.... But yes every time they release a new OS peoples as something to complain, but in every case I was waiting for it with a mark on the calender. I remember at XP launch I was in a big Hotel in Montreal and I have goose pimples , when they start the projection on the huge screen. I don't get this feeling with 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
[/QUOTE]

I totally disagree. The metro UI , to me anyway, is completely sexy and incredible, and I totally favor it to the boring by comparison, windows 7 UI.
[/QUOTE]
I also like the metro UI, but-----"sexy"??????:eek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    HP Pavilion g7-120us Notebook
    Memory
    8 GIG

[/QUOTE]
I also like the metro UI, but-----"sexy"??????:eek:[/QUOTE]

+1
Anyway you have choice between Linux, android, the old ugly iOs or Windows 8 (pick me, pick me.....).
Windows 8 is now years light more advanced. No questions about it.
21st century Os

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows8
Back