Is Windows 8.1 that awful for private (local) email?

C

Compumind

Greetings!

I need to buy a nice Windows 7 system, but sadly cannot find the specs I need at my price point.

If I should go with Windows 8.1, I understand that I *need* to have a Microsoft Account for email, which would be on the cloud and not local (and private,) like I presently have with Windows Live Mail 2012 for Windows 7.

Is there any way to easily get around this in 8.1? Current email is POP3 or I can even do IMAP.

TIA,

Compumind :)

My Computer

You don't *need* to have a Microsoft mail account to use Win 8.1, but you definitely should use one to sign into your PC when you go through setup. In Win 8.1 everything in the OS, apps, and Microsoft ecosystem is synced around your Microsoft account login. Using a "local" account instead, which is possible, but will just cause too much pain (IMHO). Many of the apps and features in Win 8.1 want a Microsoft email account login.

That being said, you do not have to use the Win 8.1 Mail app for your personal/primary email. You still have the desktop and should be able to install about any email client, including Windows Live Mail. Windows Live Mail and the Win 8.1 Mail app will not work together, but you can just ignore the mail app and I think you could use Windows Live Mail on the desktop as you've been doing.

Maybe someone will correct me because I haven't tried this, but the desktop in Win 8.1 seems to work as it always has before.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Build
    CPU
    i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS Gryphon Z87
    Memory
    G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Dells (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO, 240 GB SSD; WD Black 1TB
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W Gold
    Case
    Bitfenix Prodigy M - White
    Cooling
    NZXT Kracken 40
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech M310
    Internet Speed
    11Mbps
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    MS Defender
You don't *need* to have a Microsoft mail account to use Win 8.1, but you definitely should use one to sign into your PC when you go through setup. In Win 8.1 everything in the OS, apps, and Microsoft ecosystem is synced around your Microsoft account login. Using a "local" account instead, which is possible, but will just cause too much pain (IMHO). Many of the apps and features in Win 8.1 want a Microsoft email account login.

That being said, you do not have to use the Win 8.1 Mail app for your personal/primary email. You still have the desktop and should be able to install about any email client, including Windows Live Mail. Windows Live Mail and the Win 8.1 Mail app will not work together, but you can just ignore the mail app and I think you could use Windows Live Mail on the desktop as you've been doing.

Maybe someone will correct me because I haven't tried this, but the desktop in Win 8.1 seems to work as it always has before.
All the desktop apps work just fine for mail. I use Outlook from Office 2013 and Foxmail together with many Webmail sites.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Thanks for the replies.

I wish to confirm that windows Live Mail 2012 will work perfectly on the Windows 8.1 platform.
In addition, what is the difference between a "local account" and a "non-local" one?
Is there a procedure listed?

Cheers!

My Computer

Thanks for the replies.

I wish to confirm that windows Live Mail 2012 will work perfectly on the Windows 8.1 platform.
In addition, what is the difference between a "local account" and a "non-local" one?
Is there a procedure listed?

Cheers!

I found that when testing deployment of windows 8.1 I had to remove the network connection after installation and setup of the first user account. If it detects an Internet connection then it forces you to use a microsoft account. If you remove the network connection then it allows you to make a local account. Personally I prefer a local account mainly for administration reasons since microsoft accounts play havoc on my windows domain...

Hope this helps,
Josh :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz
    Motherboard
    Foxconn H67MP-S/-V/H67MP (CPU 1)
    Memory
    8.0GB DDR3 @ 665MHz (2GBx4)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SMB1930NW + AOC 2243W
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 + 1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    977GB Seagate ST31000524AS ATA Device (SATA)
    250GB WD iSCSI attached drive
    PSU
    750W PSU
    Case
    Novatech Night
    Keyboard
    Dell Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    R.A.T 7 Gaming Mouse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD RW AD-5260S ATA Device
I understand that I *need* to have a Microsoft Account
Definitely not. Zero MS accounts here, no need for it to install and run w8, & am using cloud, email & whatever from providers of my choice.

If it detects an Internet connection then it forces you to use a microsoft account
Definitely not. But the choice for a local account is 'hidden', to make it look like one must use a ms account.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1, W7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP \ Toshiba \ Lenovo \ Dell E7440
    Browser
    FF
I think to upgrade to 8.1 you are required to have a Microsoft account. I re-installed Win 8 in a PC I sold recently and I wanted it to upgrade it to 8.1 but it asked me to create a Microsoft account so I abandoned that plan. I left it up to the person who bought the PC from me to upgrade to 8.1 if they wanted to.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell E6410
    CPU
    Core i7 M560
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia NVS3100
    Hard Drives
    120 GB SSD
I think to upgrade to 8.1 you are required to have a Microsoft account
No. The upgrade from store is available for everyone, local or ms account, & the upgrade process makes it look like one needs the ms account to proceed, but the option to use local is there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1, W7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Browser
    FF
I think to upgrade to 8.1 you are required to have a Microsoft account
No. The upgrade from store is available for everyone, local or ms account.
Yes, of course, but that's not what I am saying.

After you download the upgrade and you reboot, you will be asked to create or use an existing Microsoft account. It didn't look to me like it was possible to continue with a local account in 8.1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell E6410
    CPU
    Core i7 M560
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia NVS3100
    Hard Drives
    120 GB SSD
^^^ Added the details to the post above while you were posting :O) Yes:
you will be asked to create or use an existing Microsoft account
but no need to be allured into following MS's wishes, one can choose local.

Some practical info in this post

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1, W7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Browser
    FF
You don't need a microsoft account - I use gmail personally and Windows Live mail works perfectly fine - exactly the same as it did in Winows 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
^^^ Added the details to the post above while you were posting :O) Yes:
you will be asked to create or use an existing Microsoft account
but no need to be allured into following MS's wishes, one can choose local.

Some practical info in this post

Yeah, you're right, they had that option buried hoping you won't see it.

I copied this from the official site
[FONT=WOL_Reg]Windows 8.1[/FONT][FONT=WOL_Reg] is designed to be used with a Microsoft account, so we recommend that you give it a try. Simply put, your Microsoft account is the glue that holds together so many useful features of the new Windows. Without one, you won't be able to, for example, automatically sync your settings and documents between PCs, back up your photos to the cloud so you can get to them from anywhere, or see all your contacts from multiple email and social networking accounts together in the People and Mail apps.
[/FONT]
[FONT=WOL_Reg]But if you're sure you want to use a local account instead, choose [/FONT][FONT=WOL_Bold]Create a new account[/FONT][FONT=WOL_Reg], and then on the new account page, choose [/FONT][FONT=WOL_Bold]Continue using my existing account[/FONT][FONT=WOL_Reg].[/FONT]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell E6410
    CPU
    Core i7 M560
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia NVS3100
    Hard Drives
    120 GB SSD
they had that option buried hoping you won't see it.
Yes, and succeeding to the point that most\many believe an ms account is the only option.

[FONT=WOL_Reg]Simply put, your Microsoft account is the glue that holds together so many useful features of the new Windows[/FONT]
Let me rewrite this in clearer words :O)

"Simply put, your Microsoft account is the glue that holds your money + credit card together with so many expensive features of the new Windows"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1, W7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Browser
    FF
Back