1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
Thanks. It's the same way in IE 9 on my 7 side. I don't really ever open that many tabs to have noticed. I remember calling back a M$ rep on the phone once. He said he had about two dozen open and was searching for the tab that concerned me and my M$ account! Geez! That's alotta tabs! :huh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Now if only the tiles could be made more customisable for standard (non metro) apps

Have to agree, that's my only gripe about Metro, the desktop shortcuts look out of place, we should be able to modify their look.

He said he had about two dozen open and was searching for the tab that concerned me and my M$ account! Geez! That's alotta tabs!

That's an average number for me for work, too bad that the graphical application preview turns into a list after a certain limit because it's easier to locate the tab you want from an image.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
A developer here on this forum has told me he's getting close to finishing an applet that will allow use to tweak the Start Screen colors to our heart's content. Red tiles and black background, here I come! :D

Windows 8 starts up for me just about as fast as a clean install of 7. I have Kaspersky Interwebster Security 2013 installed, so boot time is a bit slower. But even still, it's strange. For me, boot time from RP to RTM increased a bit. Strange. Even with everything defragged and unneeded startup items disabled, and everything the same as it was too...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Windows 8 starts up for me just about as fast as a clean install of 7. I have Kaspersky Interwebster Security 2013 installed, so boot time is a bit slower. But even still, it's strange. For me, boot time from RP to RTM increased a bit. Strange. Even with everything defragged and unneeded startup items disabled, and everything the same as it was too...

Two questions please

- You have a copy of RTM already ?

- Please give me a comparison with the RTM startup/shutdown with KIS installed as compared to Win7. Would you say the delay is noticeable ?

Personally, the quick start/shutdown is a main "selling" point with me in purchasing Win 8.

Thanks !

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 64bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba
    CPU
    Intel i3, 2348
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD3000

Two questions please

- You have a copy of RTM already ?

- Please give me a comparison with the RTM startup/shutdown with KIS installed as compared to Win7. Would you say the delay is noticeable ?

Personally, the quick start/shutdown is a main "selling" point with me in purchasing Win 8.

Thanks !

Yes, it's the Enterprise trial. :geek:

I should stipulate that at RESTART, or a clean boot, it's a tad longer than before. I believe with the Release Preview, I tested clean boot time to be about 43 seconds. I haven't timed it with the RTM, but it feels to be about a minute or so. To me, the delay is more noticeable because after the boot screen, it takes about 10 seconds for the lock screen to appear. And then a couple seconds more at the Welcome screen then to Start. I'll be a little more spatial, with the RP, the little spinning ball circle spins a full two times (one time is two spins, then it replays) and a half. In the RTM it's three full spins and a half. Then all the extra time I said.

But hybrid boot is still fairly quick. I remember with the Developer Preview, I just sat there for 10 minutes shutting down and starting up because it was that fast! :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I've come across some info about this new .205 build number, along with the rumors that the next version of Window is codenamed Blue.

Well, it seems that ballmer is FINALLY bringing in leadership back into Microsoft as some insider information I've found claims that he has split the Windows team into two teams, one focused on Windows 9 development, and Windows Blue, or 8 Development. Basically, Windows Blue is expected to be a major update to Windows 8, probably like how Windows Phone 7.5 was a huge major update to the platform as it brought in new features. So most likely, there will be new features, maybe UI enhancements as well with Blue. What we see here with build number 9200.205 might just be a sub-build of Blue as it will be categorized under the 9200 build numbering.

Very interesting stuff, and reassuring that Microsoft is getting their poop in a group as ballmer as is demanding a new OS every two years because of vista.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Surely this is the normal process after RTM? It was certainly the way that things happened after Windows7 and all previous Operating Systems.

The life cycle at Microsoft for OS production and Development has always been based around a three to four year issue. Only the Longhorn / Vista cycle breaking this system, though of course if you treat Longhorn as an Operating system in it's own right, that wasn't actually released, then the cycle is maintained.

It is normal for the team for the following OS to be recruited about half way through the development of an operating system.

They started to build the team for for windows8 well before Windows 7 was released, the same will be true for windows 9 or windows Blue, whatever the next itteration of the OS will be called.

It is also normal for some of the active developers to move from their current project to the next in the pipeline, as their particular fields are no longer required. This movement is normally major migration of staff at major milestones such as RTM, and Final "Gold" status

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Real World Computing
    CPU
    AMD FX8350 8 Core @4GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A78L-M USB3
    Memory
    32GB [4x8GB] DDR3 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus nVidia GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 (2GB DDR5)
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xoner DG + SPDIF to 5.1 System + HDMI
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G276HL 27", (DVi) + Samsung 39" HDTV (HDMI)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 @60Hz + 1920 x 1080 @60Hz
    Hard Drives
    Internal
    Crucial 256GB SSD,
    WDC WD30EZRX-00D8PB0 3TB,
    Toshiba HDWD130 3TB
    Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH1 2TB,

External (USB3)
    Seagate Backup+ Hub BK SCSI Disk 8TB
    2.5/3.5 Hot Swap Cradle, USB3 + eSata (client HDDs)

NAS
    Seagate ST4000DM000
    PSU
    Aerocool Templarius Imperator 750W 80+ Silver
    Case
    AeroCool X-Warrior Devil Red Tower
    Cooling
    Stock CPU, Rear 120mm, Front 2x120mm, Side 2x120mm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K710 & K270
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless M710 M185 & M570 Trackball
    Internet Speed
    37Mb/s Down - 9.5Mb/s Up
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    BitDefender Total Security 2017
    Other Info
    Also run...

Desktop - 6Core 8GB - Windows 10 Enterprise x64,
    Laptop - Quad 8GB - Windows 10 Pro x64
    Netbook - Ubuntu
    2 x Nexus 7 Android tablets
    Samsung 10.2" tablet
    Sony Z3 Android Smartphone
    HTC One Android Smartphone
True, it is normal for Microsoft to be working on a future and current Windows version at the same time, but what isn't normal is that the Windows division has been officially split between two OS's, where a Windows 8 team and a Windows 9 team are focused primarily on those two. That I've never heard. And more not normal is how they're planning on a bi-yearly release schedule. Normally, it's been roughly three years, but in today's technology, that is almost an eternity. Just look at vista, when it came out laptops were the huger thing. Windows 7, netbooks. Windows 8, tablet PCs and touch. It's been roughly three years between those versions and the software isn't adapting to the hardware fast enough.

But I think 2 year releases is a good idea, it keeps Windows Phone fresh along with Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
@ Barman58 and Coke. Good posts and interesting topic to say the least.

640K ought to be enough for anybody.
~ Bill Gates, 1981

This was 31 years ago that he made this statement. In those days and in that era’s viewpoint, this was expensive, but reachable. Of course today we know that is an absurd statement in present time, for we now talk in terabytes. Ironically, I found this quote in one of the quote-dedicated sites. It was placed in the category of "Stupid quotes". I don't think it to be stupid, for it was quite the statement for the time.

There has always been a tug-o-war between hardware and software through the years. Hardware, for the most part, has usually been more lax, but with recent technological breakthroughs, especially with memory medium and capacity, presently software may be lax. Why with newly developing architecture, HDDs, faster processors, larger RAM, graphic cards with their onboard RAM and architecture, and now the newly rediscovered and implemented touch technology, with this all at very reasonable price, I believe, has catapulted us into another phase of enterprise and home computing. Let’s call it the year of Windows 8. Mark it on your mind's calendar.

All the more reason for MS and others writing apps to develop new implementation of the new UI. I’ll leave it up to you fellows to report how they manage to do that, but for sure, it seems to me, that they will pour a lot of effort and resources to make it work.

We were ever slowly reaching and now quickly reaching the “Star Trek” level of technology so far as computing goes. As of June of this year the IBM Sequoia Blue Gene/Q supercomputer runs at 16.32 petaflops. That's mighty fast! This record is usually broken approximately once every year.

So far as "Star Trek" type engines and warp speeds, well, we’ll have a way to go there with that technology.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I don't exclude a last minute decision to make booting into the Metro UI an option (just plain common sens). But probably I must be dreaming writing so.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
Back