Internet erratic

JohnW

I have a 3 year old Dell desktop connecting to talktalk fibre by wifi, never any problems until 3 days ago. The internet became erratic, first thumbnail images not appearing, then seemed to work ok on a search and opening first result then slowed on next page and took long time to load, then online videos freezing. Sometimes will work ok for a short time, then problems again. I checked network card & driver up to date, i have not made any changes recently. I have also rebooted PC & router.

I have done online speed test on ISP site & it varies from 0.3, 5.2 up to 33. Even when it was 33 i still had the problem both on firefox & Chrome. I did online chat with ISP and they said connection ok, but will call me tomorrow (don't have much confidence in them).

So can i ask the following
when the speed test says 33, is that at the router or at the PC?
Is it possible that issue is my wifi card, can a fault cause the problem or will it just not work at all if faulty?

Would appreciate any comment or ideas.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Intel i5
    Motherboard
    not sure
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    no
    Browser
    Firefox and Chrome
    Antivirus
    Eset
Sometimes i too face the same issue. Haven't reached to the solution yet. I will surely search for this and will share it. If you use a asus router then you may check this asus router login guide. It might be helpful to you.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo
    CPU
    -
    Motherboard