Interesting analysis of the Windows 8 store

So, if I do download the program, I quickly test it to see if it's something I will use and possibly want to upgrade. If I discard the program, I unsubscribe and answer any questions with "It wasn't what I needed." Usually that gets rid of the ads.
I suggest you do that in a virtual machine for at least 2 reasons:

1. it cannot screw up your main system
2. you don't 'collect' .dlls that come with every program and stay when you uninstall. That makes your winsxs grow unneccesarily.

I've never had an App screw up my machine and as far as I'm aware there are no left over .dll's.
Just watch your winsxs. You apparently don't know how .dlls function. But if you have a big C: partition, it may not matter. On a small SSD, it does matter.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
So, if I do download the program, I quickly test it to see if it's something I will use and possibly want to upgrade. If I discard the program, I unsubscribe and answer any questions with "It wasn't what I needed." Usually that gets rid of the ads.

2. you don't 'collect' .dlls that come with every program and stay when you uninstall. That makes your winsxs grow unneccesarily.

I've never had an App screw up my machine and as far as I'm aware there are no left over .dll's.

I always run and test programs in a vm, never loss them to my actual machine. Stuff infer indeed is left behind.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Patrik, I like you new logo. I subscribe to that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

Just watch your winsxs. You apparently don't know how .dlls function. But if you have a big C: partition, it may not matter. On a small SSD, it does matter.

This is interesting to me actually. I was under the impression that metro apps (or whatever you call them) were sandboxed. I downloaded 10 different clocks for the metro screen before I found one that was not too ugly and uninstalled the rest. Is that the wrong approach do you think?

I don't have SSD but neither do I want to clutter my system with junk.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
I don't know whether clocks bring .dlls. Maybe not. Those are only simple little programs. But any substantial program will definitely drag along a bunch of .dlls.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Microsoft has killed its darlings (and annoyed dedicated desktop users) in the company's quest for a slice of the burgeoning mobile pie. Billions have been spent to blanket the world in flashy ads. The Start button itself--the very icon of Windows as we know it!--was sacrificed upon the touchscreen altar. And still everyday users avoid Windows tablets like the plague. Who can blame them? Interface gripes aside, there simply aren't many worthwhile Windows 8 apps available, and hope for software salvation is dwindling as the number of new app submissions declines day-in and day-out.

On February 4, Windows CMO/CFO Tami Reller said that more than 100 million apps have been downloaded since the Windows Store's launch, with user visits growing in the double digits each and every week. The smart money is on most of those coming from PC users. The curiosity is there. The apps are not.

You can certainly count me in as one of the curious ones.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Yep.

Is there a pattern here?

There was a small rush from a modest number of devs to post up their apps.....then it trailed off

There was a small rush from a modest number of geeky types to get the upgrade...then it trailed off

There was a small rush from a modest number of buyers for the RT tablet...then it trailed off

Will Pro tablet suffer the same fate? Time will tell.

Interesting so few were available - that will extend the belief there is continuing demand.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back