Intel previews SSD overclocking

Overclocking of processors and graphics cards has been a staple of the PC enthusiast community for years, but it looks like a new component will soon be available for the tweaking set.

Intel, which offers CPUs with unlocked multipliers (the "K" series) to ease the overclocking process, is now apparently working on letting users overclock their solid-state drives. The company just previewed the overclocking potential of its SSDs at the PAX Prime festival, with more info supposedly coming at the upcoming Intel Developer Forum next week

Read more at: Intel previews SSD overclocking | ZDNet

The article also warns about OC-ing the SSD, quote:

It may also touch on the potential risks of overclocking. Adjusting the settings of your processor or graphics card can lead to system stability and other issues; tweaking SSD settings could potentially threaten your data on the drive, so Intel will need to address this concern as well as the potential for shortening the life of your SSD.

It's one thing when the system locks up with OC-d CPU, or the video card goes bunkers, but entirely different when the SSD is corrupted due to OC-ing the SSD. In a nutshell, the difference is reboot vs. re-image...

I'd rather wait for the next speed bump for the SATA, quote:

The latest revision of the long-running SATA specification, SATA 3.2 brings a number of improvements for storage devices - but by far the most interesting is SATA Express. A variant of SATA first announced back in January this year, SATA Express uses up to two PCI Express 3.0 lanes to offer a peak transfer rate of 16Gb/s, or 2GB/s, compared to SATA 3's 6Gb/s.

To visualise the performance difference, it's easiest to fall back on the old Blu-ray comparison: a SATA 3 storage device capable of saturating the 6Gb/s bus speed would transfer a 50GB Blu-ray image in around 67 seconds; a storage device running over SATA Express, meanwhile, could do the same in just 25 seconds.
Source

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Latitude
    CPU
    Intel i5-3350P (3.1 GHz)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    16 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD7850
    Sound Card
    Built-in to MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x 24" Dell
    Screen Resolution
    3,840 x1,200
    Hard Drives
    128 GBs, OCZ Vertex, SATA III SSD
    256 GBs Intel SATA III SSD
    3 x Seagate 1 TBs HDD
    PSU
    Antec 750W
    Case
    Antec P185
    Internet Speed
    50 Gb/s
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox22.0
    Antivirus
    Vipre
    Other Info
    Works, most of the times unless Microsoft patches decide otherwise...
Not something I would do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 pro with media pack
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    i7 820
    Memory
    8 GBS
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD Radeon 5830
    Screen Resolution
    1080p 15.6 inch
    Internet Speed
    DSL2
    Browser
    Firefox and Chrome
    Antivirus
    Avast and Malwarebytes
Nice idea but not sure that's a risk I want to take. Having said that, if the risk is only data corruption rather than hardware damage, then you could always image your SSD (which is likely to contain just your OS and critical programs) on a schedule to restore if necessary.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Shuttle SG33G5M
    CPU
    Intel Q8300
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 1066MHz
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080