Intel 'preparing' to put an end to user-replaceable CPUs

Yesterday, a report emerged claiming that Intel is planning to release its upcoming 14-nanometer Broadwell architecture processors as a ball grid array (BGA) rather than an land grid array (LGA) package.

This would have several widespread implications, including bringing to an end to processor (CPU) upgrades.

Traditionally, the processors in desktop systems are fitted into a socket on the motherboard that allows them to be removed and replaced, while systems such as notebooks and tablets have the CPU soldered onto the motherboard.

Read more at source:
Intel 'preparing' to put an end to user-replaceable CPUs | ZDNet

While ARM may be doing that (And in fact AMD is too, lower power chips with more cores, better for massive server environments)), ARM will NOT be in the desktop market any time soon. Intel will likely be a defacto monopoly on the desktop for some time to come at this point.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
This isn't good. The way things are going with computers and gaming consoles I think I'll be giving them up for good soon!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
^^^

Given that AMD has said that they are finished competing with intel and concentrating on lower end CPUs for cheap hardware and mobile devices, they have pretty much handed Intel an environment for monopoly and created a situation where Intel could very well manipulate prices. This move is a possible example of them manipulating choice and dictating an environment that benefits them more than their customers now that AMD is on it's way out as a choice for desktop machines. (Could be gone entirely by 2015, we'll see what Intel is like then)

Amd has repeatedly refuted that little piece of misinformation. They will still be producing high end cpu's, simply not with the stated intention of "competing" with intel.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
While ARM may be doing that (And in fact AMD is too, lower power chips with more cores, better for massive server environments)), ARM will NOT be in the desktop market any time soon. Intel will likely be a defacto monopoly on the desktop for some time to come at this point.

Actually, I believe Apple is looking at ARM to replace Intel chips in their systems. Or is rumored too, at least.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Server 2012 Standard w/Hyper-V
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP ProBook 4430s
    CPU
    Intel Core i3-2310M
    Memory
    16GB DDR3
    Hard Drives
    80GB Intel 320 SSD
    500GB Samsung Momentus
^^^

Given that AMD has said that they are finished competing with intel and concentrating on lower end CPUs for cheap hardware and mobile devices, they have pretty much handed Intel an environment for monopoly and created a situation where Intel could very well manipulate prices. This move is a possible example of them manipulating choice and dictating an environment that benefits them more than their customers now that AMD is on it's way out as a choice for desktop machines. (Could be gone entirely by 2015, we'll see what Intel is like then)

Amd has repeatedly refuted that little piece of misinformation. They will still be producing high end cpu's, simply not with the stated intention of "competing" with intel.

Except the original "rumor" was started with the CEO himself. Refuting it later seems a bit like a stock price CYA more than anything. He said they are going to concentrate on the "Thin and Light" end of the cpu spectrum. If they don't compete with intel, then what will be "high-end" about them? Well maybe it's an "advanced" and competitive thin and light cpu that could be called "high end" by a trade mag or something but then were into semantics.

But when all is said and done, if they are not competing with intel then they are not competing on the desktop and basically handing it to Intel as I said. (Well they handed it to them with their last CPU release, the CEOs statement of shift of focus was just a formal recognition of how things were going)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
I'm not happy about this because I like matching the CPU to the motherboard and RAM and this will eliminate many options for us DIY'ers...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built Intel i7-3770k-based system
    CPU
    Intel i7-3770k, Overclocked to 4.6GHz (46x100) with Corsair H110i GT cooler
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 OC Formula 2.30 BIOS
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 2133 Corsair Vengeance Pro
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GTX 980ti SC ACS 6GB DDR5 by EVGA
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, Corsair SP2500 speakers and subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27EA33 [Monitor] (27.2"vis) HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (system drive)
    WD 6TB Red NAS hard drives x 2 in Storage Spaces (redundancy)
    PSU
    Corsair 750ax fully modular power supply with sleeved cables
    Case
    Corsair Air 540 with 7 x 140mm fans on front, rear and top panels
    Cooling
    Corsair H110i GT liquid cooled CPU with 4 x 140" Corsair SP "push-pull" and 3 x 140mm fans
    Keyboard
    Thermaltake Poseidon Z illuminated keyboard
    Mouse
    Corsair M65 wired
    Internet Speed
    85MBps DSL
    Browser
    Chrome and Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro and CCleaner Pro
    Other Info
    Client of Windows Server 2012 R2 10 PC's, laptops and smartphones on the WLAN.

1GBps Ethernet ports

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Mouse
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner
To be honest if Intel decides to do a complete change to BGA, it kind of forces themselves into a niche market. There is still a huge market for custom built PCs, and I can see manufacturers either offering a set of mobo's with the different chips right on the board or investing more into other CPU technologies.

I don't think this is the end of desktops, nor the end of custom-built rigs... I do think it will have an affect, but there ARE other CPU manufacturers out there... What's to stop them from taking over the custom-build market if Intel really tries to cut it out like that?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Professional 64b
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2700K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-Z68AP
    Memory
    8GB Patriot G2 DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Cyclone R6850
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    32in Samsung HDTV (LCD)
    Screen Resolution
    1360x768
    Hard Drives
    2x OCZ Vertex 3 (RAID 0)
    3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB (RAID 5)
    PSU
    Corsair TX 750 W
    Case
    Corsair 600T (Graphite)
    Cooling
    Hyper 212 (Push-Pull), 2x200MM fans (w/ case) Rear 120mm
this just means customers pay more for a basic fault on the motherboard that could be fixed for 50-60 quid replacing the mobo now costs 2-400+ depending on what they have already.

not a great idea, aside from the obvious modder market there is an even bigger market out there, pc support.

so a latch holding your cpu cooler cracked? that'll be xx amount of money for a new mobo/cpu
so your pci-e socket isn't working right? that'll be a new mobo/cpu
so your ram slot is faulty? that'll be a new mobo/cpu

if they can make mobo's fault proof then that's fine go ahead but given the number of components that can fail and do fail they are out of their minds.

oh the joy's

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU