• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Installing Win7 on HP Envy dv7 preinstalled with Win8

ghostpoop

So I just got a nice new hp envy dv7 7273ca laptop. It seems great really, wonderful 17.3" screen, beats audio, full keyboard, it's got it all. There's just one problem - windows 8. I've been trying to get acquainted with the newer OS, and I can't seem to do it. So I just figured I'd install win7 over it with the installation disks (or the usb) I have, but after a bit of researching I ran into this - HP warns consumers: Don't downgrade Win8 PCs to Win7 ? The Register and now I'm a bit hesitant to try it just in case I run into some hardware issues. I'm not really sure what to do from here, so I'm coming here for advice. Should I just go for it and install windows 7? This, however, raises another issue...I don't exactly know how to do it, and upon looking at this tutorial - http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/13326-downgrade-windows-8-windows-7-a.html I realized that I am not as tech literate as I think I am. Also, what is all this about downgrade rights?

So yeah, a little bit of help with this would be greatly appreciated as I am a kind of in the dark about all this. Thank you. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 & 8

theog

VIP Member
VIP Member
Gold Member
The HP/Compaq downgrade rights are only on PC's with Windows 8 Pro Pre-installed.

You will need to buy Windows 7 DVD & key.

For HP/Compaq drivers & software, check on HP web site for your model.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4

ghostpoop

Okay, thank you. I already have a Windows 7 DVD & product key. I'm still unsure about the installation though. The HP website does not have software & driver downloads for Windows 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 & 8