Solved Installation on new SSD failing (BSOD 0xc000021a)

err00ily

I'm trying to upgrade a prebuilt HP Envy h8 from 2012 with an SSD, but performing a clean install with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool always fails at a certain point, giving a BSOD with 0xc000021a. I can't give any dump files because I can't even get into windows, it fails during the installation itself.

I still have the original hard drive, currently running windows 10, but I'd like to start from scratch on the SSD and return to the original OS (Windows 8).

This issue isn't just limited to Win 8. Installing any Windows OS (Win7, Win8.1 or Win10, Linux works fine) on any computer, on any brand new empty drive gives me BSOD's during the installation. Seems like a universal problem with new drives.
EDIT: Except when fresh installing Win10 on my custom built where the motherboard itself is supposed to run Win10*

I think it is related to the fact there's no OS on the drive yet, *so do I actually need a Win 8 iso for installation, the one which the PC originally came from? (not Win 8.1 or 10). Microsoft only offers 8.1, so I'm pretty much lost.

PS: Using a recovery drive that came with the PC doesn't work either, it cannot reset to factory settings on my 120 GB ssd (it needs 1TB or more, but when performing the reset on a blank 1TB HDD the recovery fails in between anyway, gg HP)

PS2: Cloning the hdd doesn't work either, whole pc freezes during cloning procedure.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
You can install Windows 8.1 with your 8.0 install key. Download the appropriate Windows 8.1 .ISO file from Microsoft, create a DVD from it, and install it to your computer with the SSD installed. Input your 8.0 install key when it asks you for the Windows activation key.

You'll need to find the various drivers for the computer once you do that. The most important one is the Ethernet driver (or the wifi driver, if your computer has wifi), so that you can get onto the internet. You could get a cheap wifi driver or an Ethernet card to use for this purpose. Once you are on the internet, you can go to the HP website and get all of the drivers for your computer, including the one for the built-in Ethernet (and wifi, if appropriate).

Once you have done all that, make sure TRIM is set up and working on your SSD. TRIM will preserve the life of your SSD, making it last longer.

If you reinstall the original hard drive back into this computer, you may be able to create a set of factory recovery DVDs. If you could do that, it would be easy to do a factory recovery in the future. Be careful when you are creating the DVDs, because HP allows you to make only one set of DVDs. Have a few extra blanks in case one or more are bad. Once you have created the DVD set, power down and reinstall your SSD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (host OS) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (virtual machine)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 3847
    CPU
    Haswell
    Memory
    12 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two hard drives, 1TB each: One for Linux, one for my data.
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M
    Browser
    Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Sophos (Linux), Windows Defender (Windows)
    Other Info
    I use Samba to share my data drive with the other computers at my house.
Sorry, but I think you didn't read well. I couldn't even install Windows 8.1 at all, it is stuck in a BSOD loop after it queries to reboot during installation. So drivers or ssd lifespan aren't even a concern.

Recovery disk didn't work either. The recovery process failed probably because of corrupted data in the recovery drive and HP only allows you to create one drive. GG HP...

I did manage to fix it though. Thanks to this tutorial:
UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows
For some reason the usb thumb drive option from the Creation tool didn't work. Creating a UEFI flash drive from the .iso with RUFUS did the job.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back