Inaccessible Boot Device

GrantCarelse_777

Hi,

I had a BSOD system crash after applying Windows Update for Windows 8.1 Pro on my HP ProBook 4520s laptop.

My system is totally inaccessible, so unable to create a dump of it.

Long story short, I've read most of (your) the stuff for Windows Recovery (Environment) but it doesn't apply to me since my Windows Install Partition is NOT of file system type NTFS but during the system crash was converted somehow to the a RAW file system type, so I cannot get any information regarding booting, partition table information etc. etc.

I have been able to boot a Win7PE install on the crashed system and I am able to run Startup Repair executable in this environment, where the diagnosis and repair log says:

Number of Root Causes = 1

Root cause found:
No OS files found on disk

Repair action: Partition table repair
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x41d
Time Taken = 12949 ms

I think the take home message that I'm try to get across to you is that the Windows partition is in file system type RAW.
So, is there a way to repair my Window partition (e.g. convert it back to NTFS, without losing data...somehow get to the partition table) so that I can save my data and applications? Or is the only option a reinstallation of Win 8.1?

I have run a system diagnostic to check the viability of the HDD and was fine.

Hope you get the gist!

Regards
Grant Carelse

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP ProBook 4520s
Hi,

Just one more thing...I would like to use a free data recovery tool as opposed to buying a 3rd party data recovery tool like M3 Data Recovery. If at all possible?

Is there a bootable data recovery tool with an ISO like M3 Data Recovery that is free and usable for Windows, that you know of? $100 to purchase M3 Data Recovery is steep.

Regards
Grant Carelse

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP ProBook 4520s
Apparently your problem is due to a lost partition or damaged partition table. There is a number of partition recovery software, some of them are free. For example, TestDisk or Partition Find & Mount. Such programs usually scan the entire drive, show the found partitions and then allow to rewrite the partition table. You can also find free trial versions of commercial software, but they may have the limitations like max. drive size.

It would be a good idea before any operation, which modifies the drive structure, create a full backup. It's possible to create a backup of non-bootable OS for archive or forensic purposes. I prefer Macrium Reflect (free version is enough), it allows to boot from flash drive and create a backup on external HDD. However, many backup software can do the same, it's a matter of personal choice.

P.S. Your problem is not directly linked to BSOD, which is a specific part of the forum. Admins may relocate this thread.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro; Windows 11 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-12700K (Alder Lake)
    Motherboard
    Asus PRIME Z690-M Plus D4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus GeForce 1050 Ti, 4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philips 235PQ
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 (FHD)
    Hard Drives
    Windows 8.1: Samsung SSD 980 PRO, 500 GB (M.2)
    Windows 11: Samsung SSD 870 EVO, 500 GB (SATA)
    PSU
    Platimax D.F. 1050 W (80 Plus Platinum)
    Browser
    Google Chrome
Back