In spite of all the hate, I like Windows 8

For all the Microsoft and Windows 8 hating going on, I like Windows 8. I think it's innovative and very cool--to use the vernacular. Windows 8 is what we've really been waiting for on mobile devices. And, it's what we've waited for on business desktops as well. It has features of Mac OS X, Linux and other Windows versions. It was brilliant of Microsoft to take the best bits from all of its competitor OSs, refine them and put them into Windows 8. You have to love that. You have to applaud it. I don't care who you are or which OS you're clinging to, Windows 8 is the future and you'd better embrace it or be left out in the cold with the Dodo bird.I don't know exactly why it is but people seem to resist change, even when it's good. It must be a human nature thing. I fell prey to it as well. I hated Windows 8 at first. But, I was converted after trying it. I'm one of the people who went from, "Windows 8 sucks" to "Windows 8 is cool."
I know there's a lot of hate going on here and elsewhere but maybe negative commentary is somehow more popular than positive. I don't care which it is. I speak my mind regardless of what everyone else is doing. And, I have the technical background to back up my likes and dislikes. That's the difference in those who are Technology Journalists and those who are technology workers who are also journalists.

Read more: In spite of all the hate, I like Windows 8 | ZDNet

My 2cents. I installed Win 8 on my desktop on 10/26. This was my first experience with the new OS other than seeing the ads which depicted the new start screen. So far, I like it -- a lot.

The most frequent complaints I see mentioned are that there is no start menu, there is no start button, and the system should boot to the desktop, not the start screen. To me, the start screen is simply a graphical representation of the start menu that now has touch capability. Also, the start menu (I mean screen) button is not missing -- it's just hidden. Finally, with Win 7, the first thing I typically did once the system booted was to go to the start menu where I had all my frequently used apps pinned. Win 8 saves me a step and puts me on the start menu (sorry, screen) immediately.

After playing with Win 8 a few days and reaching the conclusion that I actually liked it, I broke down and purchased the new Acer T232HL 23" touchscreen. This purchase made me like Win 8 even more. Now, a few weeks later, I'm totally accustomed to using Win 8 and am at least as productive as before and probably more so, switching seamlessly between touch, mouse, and keyboard depending on the situation. Also, I like some of the new Metro apps and find I am using them on almost a daily basis.

Clearly, each individual will like Win 8 or not like it, depending on how they use their system and what comes natural to them. My bottom line is that I like the direction Microsoft has gone with Win 8.

As an aside, I did a clean install and have re-installed all of the apps I had installed on Win 7 (except a few which I no longer used). Everything is operating as it should with no compatibility issues. I noticed some mentioned a problem with Firefox. I'm running the latest Firefox (Version 16.0.2) and have not had any problems.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7-4771
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Pro
    Memory
    16 Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB
    Sound Card
    None
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer T232HL
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Primary - Samsung 840 EVO 250 Gb
    Secondary - Western Digital BLACK 1TB
    PSU
    Corsair RM 650W 80+
    Case
    Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK520
    Mouse
    Logitech MK520
    Internet Speed
    FiOS-15Mb
    Browser
    IE11 / Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast Free
I have installed windows 8 professional since November 6th and so far I am really quite impressed with it. Only thing taking some time to get used to is the start screen and if I use IE from the start screen how to get the address bar back and how to close the app. getting more used to it on a daily basis and haven't had any random freezes or lock ups like with windows xp or vista.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 professional
    Dell Inspiron b130
    CPU
    1.7 ghz
    Memory
    1gb
I have installed windows 8 professional since November 6th and so far I am really quite impressed with it. Only thing taking some time to get used to is the start screen and if I use IE from the start screen how to get the address bar back and how to close the app. getting more used to it on a daily basis and haven't had any random freezes or lock ups like with windows xp or vista.

Short Cuts I never Knew Before Are Now The Greatest Thing I have Never Looked Back After Leaving Windows 7!!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    GIGABYTE
    CPU
    AMD FX 8350 4.0 GHZ 8 Core
    Memory
    8 Gigabytes Team
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 760 OC TI
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 500 Gig 7200 RPM
    PSU
    EVGA 600 Bronze Rated PSU
    Case
    NZXT Phantom 240 "White"
    Keyboard
    Cooler Master Devastator
    Mouse
    Cooler Master Recon Storm
    Internet Speed
    25+ Mbs
    Antivirus
    Avast 2015
let me follow up a little on me saying I don't like the tiles. The reason I said that is we can't really do much with the tiles. Limited on size and I don't think we can change the actual tile to a different icon. I really want to have folders. That's how I do my screens in Android. I know this is not Android but it would be really nice to organize with folders. If I used a tile for every app my screens would have so many tiles it would be too much. Some will agree and some won't but everyone has different tastes. No problems with the desktop. Mine is set up just my Windows 7 looked so I'm good to go there.

Even though I'm not to keen on the tiles, I still like Windows 8 better than Windows 7.

I do believe Windows 8 will evolve into a better OS over time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-990FX
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 980
jbfoster . . .

I'm not sure what you mean by organizing with folders like Android since I've never used the Android OS. However, I assume you mean folders in the same sense that the term folders is used in Windows.

I've organized my Win 8 start screen into 4 separate sections. The first section is Metro Apps (only the ones I plan to use regularly). The second section is non-metro Apps that I use frequently. The third sections is comprised of shortcuts to folders and files I access frequently. The last section only has two items so far - a shutdown and a restart shortcut. If I need to access an App that I don't use a lot and haven't put on my start menu, I just do an upward swipe and click (touch) the All Apps icon in the lower right, then touch (click) the App I need. I find this a lot quicker than going to the Win 7 Start Menu, clicking All Programs, then finding the program I need within the All Program directory structure.

Needless to say, since I've only been using Win 8 a couple of weeks, I'm still refining my start screen in terms of what's on the screen and where it's located on the screen. At this point my productivity is very good and I'm making fewer and fewer changes to the start screen structure.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7-4771
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Pro
    Memory
    16 Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    None
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer T232HL
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair RM 650W 80+
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK520
    Mouse
    Logitech MK520
    Internet Speed
    FiOS-15Mb
    Browser
    IE11 / Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast Free
I don't want 30 or 40 tiles across several screens. If there was folder support I would need just 1 or 2 screens.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-990FX
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 980
jbfoster . . . Sorry, I must be misunderstanding. Let me give you one example of what I've done and tell me where I'm missing what you're trying to accomplish.

I have a number of applications that I run as part of a monthly system maintenance routine. I first created a folder called "Computer Maintenance." Within that folder, I created shortcuts to the various system maintenance apps that I run on a monthly basis. Once I completed my shortcuts, I right-clicked the "Computer Maintenance" folder and selected "Pin to Start". Now I have my "Computer Maintenance" folder on the Start Screen and this folder contains links to all my maintenance apps.

How does this differ from what you like about your Android setup?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7-4771
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Pro
    Memory
    16 Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    None
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer T232HL
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair RM 650W 80+
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK520
    Mouse
    Logitech MK520
    Internet Speed
    FiOS-15Mb
    Browser
    IE11 / Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast Free
Yes that's what I want but in metro only. I can only pin folders from the desktop to the start screen. When I did that it made a tile but when I click the tile it takes me to the desktop and opens the folder. I want to have folders for metro only. I want to put the metro apps there. I have icons and folders already setup on my desktop so I am good there.

This issue is not to big a deal right now on my desktop but if I purchase a Tablet I won't be able to do folders in metro. I have not messed with a tablet yet so I'm not sure if you can make folders on the desktop. Would be kind of a waste of the start screen if it just redirects me to the desktop. Might as well do away with metro and just have the desktop. Hopefully Microsoft or a third part app will make metro support folders.

I hope this makes sense now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-990FX
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 980
jbfoster . . .

Thanks for the clarification. Now I understand.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7-4771
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Pro
    Memory
    16 Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    None
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer T232HL
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair RM 650W 80+
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK520
    Mouse
    Logitech MK520
    Internet Speed
    FiOS-15Mb
    Browser
    IE11 / Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast Free
Where are the critical people?
Most standard Apps do miss important options. Am I the only one that have these problems?
PDF reader without printoption...
Mail that only accept one Live account.
No search option in Mail and Agenda App.
Standard desktop opens every time an old fashioned progran as Office 10 is opened...
Windows 8 was not ready to launch.
App Kaarten is only for A to B. What when you want to plan a vacation route with several stops? (I Know, Google Maps) I think Microsoft is blokking to possibility to launch an app for that. The same misser as in the iPad App!

Working with Win 8 sins launch, every day I find new missers. I know they maybe will be added later, but a car wil not be launched before brakes, electrical windows, gear, etc. do work!
Why? For a car, missers are deadly....

My 2cents. I installed Win 8 on my desktop on 10/26. This was my first experience with the new OS other than seeing the ads which depicted the new start screen. So far, I like it -- a lot.

The most frequent complaints I see mentioned are that there is no start menu, there is no start button, and the system should boot to the desktop, not the start screen. To me, the start screen is simply a graphical representation of the start menu that now has touch capability. Also, the start menu (I mean screen) button is not missing -- it's just hidden. Finally, with Win 7, the first thing I typically did once the system booted was to go to the start menu where I had all my frequently used apps pinned. Win 8 saves me a step and puts me on the start menu (sorry, screen) immediately.

After playing with Win 8 a few days and reaching the conclusion that I actually liked it, I broke down and purchased the new Acer T232HL 23" touchscreen. This purchase made me like Win 8 even more. Now, a few weeks later, I'm totally accustomed to using Win 8 and am at least as productive as before and probably more so, switching seamlessly between touch, mouse, and keyboard depending on the situation. Also, I like some of the new Metro apps and find I am using them on almost a daily basis.

Clearly, each individual will like Win 8 or not like it, depending on how they use their system and what comes natural to them. My bottom line is that I like the direction Microsoft has gone with Win 8.

As an aside, I did a clean install and have re-installed all of the apps I had installed on Win 7 (except a few which I no longer used). Everything is operating as it should with no compatibility issues. I noticed some mentioned a problem with Firefox. I'm running the latest Firefox (Version 16.0.2) and have not had any problems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 and 8
    Toshiba
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Toshiba
    Memory
    8 Gb
I like it but work mostly in the desktop mode. Only use the 'Start' screen for facebook, youtube etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro
    Home build
    CPU
    Intel core 2 duo Q6700
    Motherboard
    MSI Neo
I Love my W8 (a lot)
Performs better than Windows 7 and I like the new start screen, despite the removal of Start Menu.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Y520
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ
    Motherboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Memory
    4GB DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Core
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PC:

AMD Athlon X4 760K
    8GB DDR3-1866
    AMD Radeon RX 460
    Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM

win + c ------ > device -------> then you have your printer and other option

honestly I'm quite happy with the build in PDF. I use it a lot so I get use to it

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
As with anything new, it takes time for people to get to grip with the concept. IMHO I think that despite of a few program issues
(Which I am quite happy to play around with till they work) am quite happy with Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8 preview
Junior

As a JUNIOR you know not better I think. I, one of the SENIORS, am spoiled with software that is complete and does what it promise to do. That about freeware.... This software you have to pay for! When the milk I buy is sour, I bring it back....
:party:

As with anything new, it takes time for people to get to grip with the concept. IMHO I think that despite of a few program issues
(Which I am quite happy to play around with till they work) am quite happy with Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 and 8
    Toshiba
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Toshiba
    Memory
    8 Gb
....So I downloaded Waterfox and both before and after the move to W8 it proves to be fast and stable.
Had LOADS of problems with Firefox. Chromium and Opera run fine, yet Firefox was a dead end. Never heard of Waterfox before, and thanks for that info, as now Ive got an offshoot of Firefox doing the job Firefox SHOULD have done !

I've never had a single problem with Firefox under Windows 8. But Waterfox sounds interesting (I'd never heard of it before, either).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Compac Presario SR5518F
    CPU
    Dual Pentium E2180 (2 GHz)
    Motherboard
    MS-7525 (Boston)
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
I use Windows 8 practically exclusively in Desktop mode, with Classic Shell to give me a start menu. It is a fine Windows on that score, though I still prefer Windows 7 theming. If I could only make the text on the task bar and title bar white, I could use a nice dark color for the backgrounds, and I would prefer that a lot. Anyone know how to do this?

Other than that, it's mostly faster than Win 7. Though I find that sometimes Explorer freezes for a second or two, which is odd. I don't remember that in any of the Previews. I am dual booting with Windows 7 for the time being.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Compac Presario SR5518F
    CPU
    Dual Pentium E2180 (2 GHz)
    Motherboard
    MS-7525 (Boston)
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
....So I downloaded Waterfox and both before and after the move to W8 it proves to be fast and stable.
Had LOADS of problems with Firefox. Chromium and Opera run fine, yet Firefox was a dead end. Never heard of Waterfox before, and thanks for that info, as now Ive got an offshoot of Firefox doing the job Firefox SHOULD have done !

I've never had a single problem with Firefox under Windows 8. But Waterfox sounds interesting (I'd never heard of it before, either).

Isn't Waterfox is a x64-version of Firefox?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Y520
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ
    Motherboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Memory
    4GB DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Core
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PC:

AMD Athlon X4 760K
    8GB DDR3-1866
    AMD Radeon RX 460
    Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM

win + c ------ > device -------> then you have your printer and other option

honestly I'm quite happy with the build in PDF. I use it a lot so I get use to it

Hi there
this probably must rank as the most frustrating App to use EVER. -- How do you close the wretched thing once you've snapped it(right or left) to your desktop and then want to get rid of it.

I had to go into Task manager and shut it down that way.

(Please don't say close it like Usual close for Metro apps -- IT DOES NOT WORK WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE A TOUCH SCREEN.)

I havve large screen external monitors so the whole point of full screen Metro in any case is a 100% waste of time for me -- and as some have pointed out WINDOWS means WINDOWS --perrhaps W8 as some have suggested should be renamed WALLS V 1.0

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB