Solved In need of direction on my new install

bloodybold

Hello to all long time since posting for help (Win Vista days).

Recently my MOBO died and the knowledgeable tech at micro center suggested I upgrade to Win 8 in the process as he felt Vista OS would provide to many headaches with all the new hardware.

With that being said I completed the rebuild and loaded the OS to a new WD Caviar 1TB that I had laying around and left my VelociRaptor with Vista Ultimate unplugged. The install went flawless except for when I came back to it this morning it woke from sleep with the touch of the mouse but no pointer or keyboard, resynced Bluetooth and all came back online, loaded updated version of software for logitech and will see if this fixes the issue.

What I need help with are suggestion as to how to best copy over programs and folders/files from the vista drive which is now running, I've tried copying a program folder to the Win 8 program folder and am not able to get the program to launch. Any suggestions or thread reads which cam help me out?

Next, when all the usable info has been retrieved from the Veloci I would like to install the Win 8 to that and set that as the boot due to its speed. I am thinking I could just clone the present HDD to it and it will overwrite the old OS this way I don't have to spend all the time to load it up from scratch. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks Guys glad to see a lot of the members from the old site here as I trust and respect your advice.:dinesh:
Robb

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win Pro 8 64Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self Build
    CPU
    i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
    Memory
    BALLISTIX 16GB DDR3-1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS IceQ4 RADEON HD 4850
    Browser
    IE 10
    Antivirus
    ESET Smart security 6
1) As the new MOBO's now have a uEFI/BIOS firmware.
How to install Windows 64 bit on a uEFI/BIOS firmware:

UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with - Windows 7 Help Forums
or
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...e-firmware-interface-install-windows-8-a.html

2) Software & Apps will need to be reinstalled with the Windows 8 version.

3) You copy & Paste your personal DATA over to the new HDD.

4) How to clone your SATA drive to a SATA drive.
http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/17083-how-migrate-os-new-hard-disk.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Thanks Theog,

Can you explain this a little more in detail I am good with a volt meter and screw driver but not much on OS software side of things:huh: as to why or what this will do for me, I do see it helps with boot time. Please note Win 8 is already installed so what can I do if this was the course of action I should have followed for my install.

Also mouse, keyboard issue was not resolved by new driver / software. I have read that it may be the amount of power the USB port provides to Bluetooth is not enough to keep them fully sync'd during sleep but have also seen this could be a bios issue as well.

And thank you for you input,
Robb

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win Pro 8 64Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self Build
    CPU
    i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
    Memory
    BALLISTIX 16GB DDR3-1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS IceQ4 RADEON HD 4850
    Browser
    IE 10
    Antivirus
    ESET Smart security 6
Please note Win 8 is already installed

Leave OS as is.

Also mouse, keyboard issue was not resolved

Update drivers, if no drivers Windows 8, you may like to look for a new mouse & keyboard with Windows 8 drivers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Back