If the iPad was late, ran Windows 8, it would fail too

Microsoft's Surface RT debacle has more to do with a collapsing PC market and Windows RT than hardware.
Imagine this. Apple comes out with the iPad about three years late and slaps on a stripped-down version of Windows 8.
Now imagine the consumer response.
Yeah, I wouldn't buy it either.
"Several other vendors that released [Windows] RT products had lackluster sales and difficulty clearing inventory," Rhoda Alexander, an analyst at IHS iSuppli, told CNET.
"Poor product reviews and bad press contributed to the overall problem, poisoning the water not just for Microsoft but for other brands as well," she added.
If the iPad was late, ran Windows 8, it would fail too | Microsoft - CNET News

WHERE'S Coke?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
That's not my fault

I still fail to see your logic. Somehow, you've translated a bunch of choices into Stalinist dictatorship.

So your position is that "the ways things are now, is the way they have always been and the way they always will be."
That is absurd and false.

I guess that in your world there has never been a recorded instance of:
  • Fanatics gaining control of a government, executing "Dissidents", instituting "Death Camps" and starting wars.
  • Corporations being found guilty of acting illegally or unethically.

In the early 1970's your choice was: use a dumb terminal to connect to a mainframe.

Currently you have the choice: use your PC and/or the "Cloud".

Corporations exist to maximise profits.
There seems to be a concerted push to return computing to the 1970's, because that would maximise (certain) corporate profits.
If this push is successful, in the future your choice will be: use a dumb terminal to connect to a mainframe.

BTW, we currently don't live in a Stalinist dictatorship.
"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance."
- John Philpot Curran

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Did Apple went out to turn their desktop OS into a strange hybrid just because sales of traditional computers could not be sustained? Of course not, they left it alone. Instead, they created touch devices that people actually would want to use and if they cannibalise their own products, so be it.

Microsoft is still trying to put Windows everywhere, and they're still trying to cheat their way into new markets by using Windows as leverage, instead of competing on their own merits.

Being almost three years late to the party does not help either, of course, but they're solely to blame for that. Did they really think that by forcing a touch environment on desktop Windows they would accomplish anything other than alienating their traditional customers? Did they really think that would make up for all the ground they've lost?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass
    Computer type
    Laptop
Did they really think that by forcing a touch environment on desktop Windows they would accomplish anything other than alienating their traditional customers? Did they really think that would make up for all the ground they've lost?

It appears they did think that. Bit of a misjudgment.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Did Apple went out to turn their desktop OS into a strange hybrid just because sales of traditional computers could not be sustained? Of course not, they left it alone. Instead, they created touch devices that people actually would want to use and if they cannibalise their own products, so be it.

Microsoft is still trying to put Windows everywhere, and they're still trying to cheat their way into new markets by using Windows as leverage, instead of competing on their own merits.

Being almost three years late to the party does not help either, of course, but they're solely to blame for that. Did they really think that by forcing a touch environment on desktop Windows they would accomplish anything other than alienating their traditional customers? Did they really think that would make up for all the ground they've lost?

Obviously you don't use an iMac. . .:D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
Interestingly, Canonical are going to run Ubuntu and Android alongside.

If you want the top end pc/phone, there aren't many left at $625. Once they have gone, you will need to pledge a higher amount to get hold of one. If you want to just contribute a few bucks, you can also do that.

Ubuntu Edge | Indiegogo

edit : now sold out at $625. Next level is $675. When the $675 has gone, will be fascinating to see what happens.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

Yeah... obviously. Mac users are installing DockIsBack and Dock8 in droves...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass
    Computer type
    Laptop

I did, strangely enough. Assuming we're talking about the all-in-one desktop Apple with the lairy coloured monitor-case? I was given one by my brother, who had never used an Apple, and had NFI what to do with it.

It was certainly a pleasant enough little machine, had MS Office and a decent suite of programs installed and its performance was definitely adequate for what I was using it for (iTunes, some Office stuff, mainly PowerPoint, and a bit of video editing/conversion).

But, it just didn't 'click' with me, and I can't put a finger on just why. And its closed architecture was a definite disadvantage, for me. I ended up passing it along to a friend for her kids to use for their homework etc (she's not well-off, and could not afford a new PC for her kids), and it was still going strong last I heard, about 12 months ago.

See below. The comps on the shelf above are my C64 and My Amiga A500.

Wenda.

Attachments

• The Apple 1.PNG
    The Apple 1.PNG
    255.6 KB · Views: 99

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
Those Amiga 500's had great games. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
That they did, Lehnerus, that they did... :thumbsup:

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.