Solved I need to have unique identifiers in Windows Explorer

broiyan

My Windows 8 runs on VirtualBox which in turn is hosted on Ubuntu. In Ubuntu I have a folder called Documents, specifically it is at \home\userName\Documents. In Windows I have a folder called Documents, specifically it is at C:\Users\userName\Documents. I can see this from Windows Explorer when I right click "My Documents" and then the tab "Location". In the "Location" tab there is the path C:\Users\userName\Documents.

This is risky since Windows Explorer identifies the folder as "My Documents" when in actual fact it is "Documents" as visible in the "Location" tab.

I need to eliminate user errors caused by belief that the folder name is "My Documents".

At this point an example of such an error may be appropriate, but I think it's so obvious that an example is a painfully boring distraction. One user error might be that if the user copies "My Documents" to E: (which points to \home\userName in Ubuntu) he would expect that "\home\userName\My Documents" will be created parallel to "\home\userName\Documents". In fact, what will happen is that the folder from Windows is actually named "Documents", contrary to the appearance in Windows Explorer, and the contents there will become intermingled with the documents that were already present in \home\userName\Documents. This is a disaster. In general identifying things non-uniquely creates risk. In general we need one-to-one identfiers to minimize error recovery effort.

I need a permanent solution that is not manual. That is, I do not want to manually remove the prefix "My ". I did this before but somehow, perhaps in the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8, the prefix reappeared.

My Computer

System One

• OS
The only think I can think of would be to use this method of putting your User folder in a whole different location:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4275-user-profiles-relocate-another-partition-disk.html

I see what you mean though, from Within Windows the "My Documents" Folder always is listed as "My Documents" even though it is hamed "Documents" when you remove the breadcrumbed address. Even my 2nd drive, which has Windows 7 says "My Documents", but when going into the folder it's like this:

D:\Users\ASUS\Documents

But if you look in the Users folder while having system and hidden files shown, you will see a second "My Computer" folder that you can't get to, I think it is a dynamic link NAMED "My Documents" that points to your Documents folder (and renames it in the Explorer Shell). That's just a guess, I have always wondered why there needs to be a hidden My Docs folder (that can't be opened).

But this is a System File, you can't really do much to it in terms of customizing it or renaming it. What you CAN do though, is create a whole different folder for holding Documents, and you can ADD it to your Library:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/12954-library-add-folder-windows-8-a.html

I would try something like this, just don't use the Windows Doc folder at all, use another one and add it to the Library, that way it will be in the library, and it will also stand alone by itself. Make sure that every user on the system knows not to use the regular Documents folder. This way, people would know to copy the files from THAT folder and you wont have that Horror Scenario you mentioned

I've tried all kinds of ways of renaming the Documents folder or even changing it's icon, which I hate. We are pretty much stuck with what it is, being a system folder, some programs depend on it being right where it is and named what it is, because they create folders in My Documents for Storing files related to and created by the programs. So, the My Documents folder has to be left unmolested for those programs to work.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Just for grins you might see if you can turn libraries off and see what happens. There may be a tutorial how to disable the libraries feature. I tend to use self named folders so that I can make them the same across Windows releases. I've been using "C:\download" forever and I hate it when programs download into "Downloads"" under the user name. Just annoying.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.0 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satelite C55D-A Laptop
    CPU
    AMD EI 1200
    Memory
    4 gb DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Raedon 340 MB dedicated Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built in
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    640 GB (spinner) Sata II
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Touch pad

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
You can disable Libraries:

How to Disable ?Libraries? Feature in Windows 7? - AskVG

or

How to Enable or Disable the Libraries Feature in Windows 7

It may be an irreversible tweek.

Actually, having the Download Folder as part of the Users folder has worked great for me, I can set a shortcut to the folder on my desktop. I used to keep stuff in C:\Downloads all the time too, but I guess I just got used to having it in the new place. Windows XP never accommodated us like that.

I'd feel more accommodation if they'd leave something in the same spot for 3 releases in a row. The hunt is a time waster.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.0 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    AMD EI 1200
    Memory
    4 gb DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built in
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    640 GB (spinner) Sata II
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Touch pad
You can disable and re-enable the Libraries in W7 (in the Navigation pane).
I've done it recently (re-enabled yesterday in fact).

Tutorial
Libraries Folder - Add or Remove from Navigation Pane - Windows 7 Help Forums

That tutorial shows you how to hide them in the Navigation pane.
It doesn't remove them from your system. :(

On my PC, those operations disabled my custom logon screen wallpaper though (I have no idea why).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Hi there
Can't you do all this in folder permissions - common folders could be shared while individual users have their own Documents - this seems to be what happens on Networked type drives anyway.

Simpler solution - upgrade to Windows 8.1 -- Libraries are GONE !!!!!

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
This freebie makes it almost fun to change the items in the navpane.

edit: it works in W7. I haven't tried it on W8 yet. But if someone is feeling adventurous... :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.0 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    AMD EI 1200
    Memory
    4 gb DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built in
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    640 GB (spinner) Sata II
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Touch pad
This freebie makes it almost fun to change the items in the navpane.

edit: it works in W7. I haven't tried it on W8 yet. But if someone is feeling adventurous... :)

Oh, no, not moi! I have an external drive that I put all of "my" documents on, but I have to do it manually. I've been doing it so long it's second nature to me now. I don't use 'my documents' or 'documents' on any of my computers.

As an aside, I haven't had the guts to put 8.1 on this new HP system. Win 8 is working OK for me, and since I've had it, I hardly ever go to the Win 7 machine any more.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I'm on W8 because I got a Laptop with it on. I'm happy that it was very ready to use compared to my previous desktop preinstalled machines. But it's my first Laptop. I'm not sure how much to attribute to W8 and how much to the fact it's a Laptop. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.0 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    AMD EI 1200
    Memory
    4 gb DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built in
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    640 GB (spinner) Sata II
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Touch pad
I'm on W8 because I got a Laptop with it on. I'm happy that it was very ready to use compared to my previous desktop preinstalled machines. But it's my first Laptop. I'm not sure how much to attribute to W8 and how much to the fact it's a Laptop. :)

Although both my laptops have self-installed Windows 7, as far as I can see, a laptop is just a compact version of a desktop. Whatever I can do on my desktop, I can do on the laptop . . . that is with the exception of hardware upgrades. I can upgrade the hard drive and RAM and "maybe" the graphics card, but that wouldn't be something I'd try unless I had step-by-step 'structions from the lappy manufacturer.

I am seriously thinking about upgrading one of them to Windows 8.1, though, just to see how it goes from Win 7 to Win 8.1. I can always reinstall Win 7 if need be.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I think the worst experience I had with a preinstalled machine was Vista 32 bit Home Premium before the SP. I spent like 2 months tweaking just to keep it from hogging the HD and running like a garbage truck. :(

I heard a lot nasty about W8 but so far the experience is fine. Granted I avoid the Metro stuff when I can. I log on then go to desktop pronto. :) But it is nice that the WiFi "just works." :)

Edit: I do miss the Glass though. I thought I'd see more glass, not less. And easier to program. So much for that idea. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.0 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    AMD EI 1200
    Memory
    4 gb DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built in
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    640 GB (spinner) Sata II
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Touch pad
A solution has been found. I upgraded to Windows 8.1. Under "This PC", there's some sort of innovation in 8.1 that makes "My Documents" appear as "Documents" which matches the actual name of the directory at "C:\Users\UserName\Documents". Windows just keeps getting better and better!

My Computer

System One

• OS
I think the worst experience I had with a preinstalled machine was Vista 32 bit Home Premium before the SP. I spent like 2 months tweaking just to keep it from hogging the HD and running like a garbage truck. :(

I heard a lot nasty about W8 but so far the experience is fine. Granted I avoid the Metro stuff when I can. I log on then go to desktop pronto. :) But it is nice that the WiFi "just works." :)

Edit: I do miss the Glass though. I thought I'd see more glass, not less. And easier to program. So much for that idea. :)

ClassicShell will give you all that back, I hardly notice that I'm running 8.1, My boot is straight to log, on to my desktop. took me a couple of days to find all the programs that were opening the APPs and redirecting them to my desktop programs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro