I love embedded Oem keys

It's not legal until he bought the pro licenses. If he went ahead and put pro on over the core before buying the upgrade its would have been illegal.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CP
It's not legal until he bought the pro licenses. If he went ahead and put pro on over the core before buying the upgrade its would have been illegal.

Not true. Core gets installed by default because that's what the embedded keys are for. You never get the option to install Pro. In this instance the only way to get pro is to use the add features option. I've done it on my laptop that came with just Windows 8. Core gets installed without me ever getting asked what version I want. After the install I have to use the add features option to enter my Pro key and upgrade. Then when that is done I can enter my Media center key for that upgrade. Also, if the PC does not have an embedded key you will be asked to input one. You can't install any version without entering a product code. The product code you enter determines what version is installed. If you enter a Pro key Pro gets installed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
No, pcs are shipped with the purchased version of the OS. Are you saying there is no W8 Pro embedded key available?

We are not talking about if it works or not, we are talking about legality.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CP
Was able to take a Dell copy of Windows 8, make an uefi bootable usb key, install onto my Dell, and also onto some acers in my office. It used the embedded keys each time, gave me 8 pro where appropriate, and 8 standard when appropriate. No hassles, activated immediately, no calls to robo activation at Microsoft. Good times.

Hi there
Problem with that solution is that if you are in the know and have access to cheap manufacturing it's incredibly easy to Pirate -- cloning hardware at very large volumes is extremely cheap and I'm sure if you just take a walk down certain streets in Shanghai as a westerner with a PC in your hand you'll be offered an amazing amount of hardware / software for some really cheap prices within seconds -- of course they won't guarantee the "provenance" of the kit they sell you. It'll work and be really cheap though. !!

I think Ms might regret this approach in the end -- hardware based solutions are usually cracked fairly easily and quickly -- just look how quickly regional encoding / CSS on DVD's was cracked, same thing with Bank cards and Blue Ray DVD's.

Without some sort of a complex dynamic software encryption algorithm too a pure hardware solution won't work --too easily pirated.
You really need to have a combination of BOTH hardware and software to be reasonably "Pirate Proof".

(I'm an Engineer -- I KNOW that this is easy to do- cracking the hardware).

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
No, pcs are shipped with the purchased version of the OS. Are you saying there is no W8 Pro embedded key available?

We are not talking about if it works or not, we are talking about legality.

No, what I'm saying is, if the PC shipped with 8 core, that's what get installed and if it had shipped with 8 Pro that's what gets installed. You can't cheat and install Pro on a PC that didn't come with it. He was legal, Pro installed on his Dell and Core installed on the Acers. That's what they came with from the factory and they used the factory keys. All perfectly legal. He upgraded the Acers to Pro using legally bought Pro packs latter on. He didn't have to do that to be legal. He did it because he needed some features only available in the Pro version.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

It most certainly was legal before I bought pro. It was legal for Windows 8 standard which is what is embedded in the machine. 1000% legit at that point.

But I needed more functionality than 8 standard so I had to buy pro packs for these machines.

And yes, computers can come with 8 pro (my Dell did), so a pro pack purchase here was not necessary. In the case of this machine, the key for 8 pro is right in the BIOS and that is what I get when I reload..

So when you load, you automatically get the version that matches the key embedded in the BIOS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Was able to take a Dell copy of Windows 8, make an uefi bootable usb key, install onto my Dell, and also onto some acers in my office. It used the embedded keys each time, gave me 8 pro where appropriate, and 8 standard when appropriate. No hassles, activated immediately, no calls to robo activation at Microsoft. Good times.

Hi there
Problem with that solution is that if you are in the know and have access to cheap manufacturing it's incredibly easy to Pirate -- cloning hardware at very large volumes is extremely cheap and I'm sure if you just take a walk down certain streets in Shanghai as a westerner with a PC in your hand you'll be offered an amazing amount of hardware / software for some really cheap prices within seconds -- of course they won't guarantee the "provenance" of the kit they sell you. It'll work and be really cheap though. !!

I think Ms might regret this approach in the end -- hardware based solutions are usually cracked fairly easily and quickly -- just look how quickly regional encoding / CSS on DVD's was cracked, same thing with Bank cards and Blue Ray DVD's.

Without some sort of a complex dynamic software encryption algorithm too a pure hardware solution won't work --too easily pirated.
You really need to have a combination of BOTH hardware and software to be reasonably "Pirate Proof".

Cheers
jimbo

I don't love embedded keys because I thought they stopped piracy. I love them because on legit machines it makes my life much easier. That is all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info

Hi there

Cheers
jimbo

If somebody wants to pirate Windows bad enough they are going to pirate Windows regardless of what Microsoft does. That's life. I think this approach is a lot better than the OEM-SLP/SLIC table method. It's a lot easier to add a SLIC table to a stock BIOS and flash with that than it is to clone the embedded keys. Plus after a couple of hundred PC's show up with the same embedded key Microsoft will just black list it. Anyway I agree with pparks1, the embedded keys make reinstalls a lot easier on OEM PC's.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Sorry not legal to put pro on standard machine unless you bought/upgrade pro for that machine. Apples with apples.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CP
Sorry not legal to put pro on standard machine unless you bought/upgrade pro for that machine. Apples with apples.

That's exactly what he did? How many times do we have to say it? He legally installed core then upgraded it with legally purchased Pro packs.
The Dell already had an embedded Pro key so that's what was installed by default, totally legal.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

I don't understand where all of the confusion is coming from everything I did was completely legit. the Acer's came with 8 standard. when I installed... it used the embedded key to give me 8 standard on those machines.

I'm thinking that you might be confused that the Dell media itself was a Windows 8 Professional disk. the disk for professional and standard is exactly the same it is only the key that determines whether you get one version or the other. with the embedded key on the Acer computer I got 8 standard with the professional embedded key on the Dell I got 8 professional.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
I read in alpha!s post that the Acers came with standard. And he said it was legal to put pro on these Acers. That's where the confusion was.

If you bought pro packs for your Acers then that's fine. Apples with apples.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CP
It's apples and apples, the Dell DVD is non distributable version of windows which although has w8 standard or pro on it cannot be used with other pcs unless the other pcs where bought with the same version. Ie you bought say 5 pcs with the same Windows version for each.

So if the Dell DVD is W8 pro, you can only use it on the Acers if the Acers came with W8 pro. If the Acers came with W8 standard, you need to upgrade the Acers licences to Pro first before using your Dell DVD for the Acers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CP
So if the Dell DVD is W8 pro, you can only use it on the Acers if the Acers came with W8 pro. If the Acers came with W8 standard, you need to upgrade the Acers licences to Pro first before using your Dell DVD for the Acers.

This is not true. The Dell DVD can be used no problem with the Acer's as they have a valid embedded key for 8 standard. And when you install the OS, that is what you get. It is 8 standard, and it is activated since the embedded key is valid.

There is absolutely no requirement to buy the pro pack, unless I want to make the Acer an 8 pro machine.

What you said cannot be done, you cannot upgrade the license in the Acer's first. You have to get 8 standard installed and then update to a different version of Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
The Dell DVD is for use with the Dell machine. If the Dell machine was purchased with Pro, then the Dell Machine is Pro compliant. If the Acers were purchased with Standard that mean they are Standard compliant. Installing Pro on the Acers which are compliant with Standard only is illegal. Unless you purchase upgrade license for each Acers (to be Pro compliant) you cannot install Pro onto them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CP
Embedded or not it is a license nonetheless. If your Acers are licensed for Standard (embedded or not) they are licences for Standard. If you install Pro on a Standard licenced machine you doing it illegally.

If you haven't done so, go get the Acers compliant with Pro otherwise remove Pro from them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CP
Dude, He did not install 8 Pro on the Acers with the Dell DVD. He installed 8 core. If a PC has an 8 core embedded key you cannot clean install Pro on that machine. It won't let you, core is installed automatically. I've done it on my ASUS laptop. The only way to get 8 Pro on my laptop is to install core and then use the add features option to enter the Pro key.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Where can you get a Dell DVD that are has both Standard and Pro on it? I like to get this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CP
The DVD is labeled Pro but it can install both versions. The Dell that the DVD came with has 8 Pro so the disk says "Dell 8 Pro". It's not locked into only installing Pro though. Like we said multiple times. During the install process Windows 8 looks for the embedded key. When it finds one it checks to see if its core or Pro. If it's a core key 8 core gets installed, if its a Pro key Pro gets installed. If I used that Dell 8 Pro DVD to install Windows 8 on my ASUS laptop it would install 8 core just like it did on the Acers. I'll say it one more time, 8 Pro was not installed on the Acers 8 core was. The Acers were upgraded to pro after the fact. This is the last I'll say on this because either you are not listening to what we are saying, or don't want to hear it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard