I don't miss Start Menu at all: Here's Why

Medicted51

Banned
I do not miss the Win 7 Start Menu at all. I spend 99 % of my time on the Desktop, but don't miss it. First when I was in Win 7 I created a folder I called Shortcuts that I placed shortcuts to all apps I used all the time. I then created a Toolbar on the Taskbar that pointed to that folder. You can see the Toolbar in my screen shot. Why do I need to go to a Start Menu when my app shortcuts are there.

Taskbar.jpg

From left to right:

First is the Quick Launch bar. I pinned the Shutdown, Restart and Log Off shortcuts along with shortcuts for Control Panel and Windows Updates.

Next come Shortcuts for WLM, IE 10, Google Chrome and All Apps

Then comes my Toolbars I created (Right click the Taskbar and choose Toolbars, Create New Toolbar then point to the folder you wish to pin) The Links folder is actually the Favorites bar (IE 10 favorites bar), my Shortcuts Toolbar and a Desktop Toolbar

Shortcuts.jpg

With these various Toolbars and 6 or 7 shortcuts on my Desktop I can do anything the old Start Menu could do.

Add some keyboard short cuts and I am set!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7/Win 8 CP Dual Boot
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Sony Vaio
    CPU
    Intel 2.53 GHz
    Motherboard
    Sony Vaio
    Memory
    8 GB Ram DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
    Hard Drives
    320 GB Toshiba MK3254 GSY SATA
I've done the same thing on my past computers, labeling the folder "Storage," with another folder labeled "Games," and one labeled "Help." Like others on this forum, I have come to realize that I didn't use the Start button that much to open programs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Just trying to fathom out "shortcuts" as opposed to desktop icons. But also, in your example, as they are all executives, would it not have been simpler, and more in keeping with Windows 8, to have just customised the Metro menu to those items?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.
The Toolbars allow me to keep my desktop uncluttered. I like to see my desktop. My windows do not cover the entire desktop so I like to see what's there when it's not covered.

They app shortcuts are in Metro tiles as well, but I hate the colors and look, and layout of Metro. IMHO the tiles and colors are difficult to look at for my older eyes for extended periods. It seems to cause more strain. Plus, even after rearranging the tiles, and even assuming someone comes up with a more pleasing look for the background, the tiles will still block the background. Plus I still have problems finding the tile I'm looking for. I do not like the way the apps are laid out on the apps screen at all. It's also very hard to find anything there.

MetroUI.jpg

I like to be able to see my desktop and see my landscapes scrolling on my desktop. My belief is that those users who have traditional PC's, desktops and laptops, will spend most of their time on the desktop UI, whereas those that use touchscreens and tablets will spend more time on the Metro UI. That is one thing that will keep me from purchasing a tablet, I do not like the Metro interface.

I have customized my desktop to work for me. I can find things quickly and easily. The desktop is easy on my eyes. I have exactly 7 icons on the desktop because I do not want to block the view. And with a little work I could probably eliminate these, but why bother, they are small and do not block anything.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7/Win 8 CP Dual Boot
    Sony Vaio
    CPU
    Intel 2.53 GHz
    Motherboard
    Sony Vaio
    Memory
    8 GB Ram DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
I read an article critical of Win 8, and the author has a good suggestion: allow the Metro tiles to be grouped into folders.
I think that is less practical. If you open that folder, it will open in Explorer on the desktop and then you still have to double click on the shortcut you want.

Toolbars are more practical - I think. You really need only 1 toolbar with subfolders for whatever programs, websites, folders, etc. If you group all those as subfolders to your main toolbar folder, then you need not take so much space on the taskbar for several toolbars. I have made this little tut to demonstrate my suggestion. Toolbars - How to Use in Windows 7 and Vista - Windows 7 Forums

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I have cut back to 2 Toolbars (Shortcuts and Links) plus my QL toolbar. I got rid of the Desktop Toolbar. It served no useful purpose. I am constantly looking a ways to customize further. I also like Toolbars better than the Metro Layout. Plus I just can't get away from the ugly look of Metro. Perhaps that's just my taste. At least I was able to tone down the color.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7/Win 8 CP Dual Boot
    Sony Vaio
    CPU
    Intel 2.53 GHz
    Motherboard
    Sony Vaio
    Memory
    8 GB Ram DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
I have cut back to 2 Toolbars (Shortcuts and Links) plus my QL toolbar. I got rid of the Desktop Toolbar. It served no useful purpose. I am constantly looking a ways to customize further. I also like Toolbars better than the Metro Layout. Plus I just can't get away from the ugly look of Metro. Perhaps that's just my taste. At least I was able to tone down the color.

Why don't you stick all your toolbar folders into one folder. Then you need less space on the taskbar. Like I have done here. Everything is in the 'All' folder and if I hover over the other folders, the shortcuts will show up.

Attachments

• 2012-04-02_1949.png
    2012-04-02_1949.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 861

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I do have something similar to this now. I have my Shortcuts and my links Toolbars. I do not include the QL bar as that's located on the far left and is a specialized toolbar. I have transferred all desktop icons except Recycle Bin, My Computer and User Files to the Shortcuts folder. Like I said, I am constantly customizing. I like to keep my desktop uncluttered. My desktop landscapes (approx. 100) shuffle through every 10 minutes. I want to see them, not icons.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7/Win 8 CP Dual Boot
    Sony Vaio
    CPU
    Intel 2.53 GHz
    Motherboard
    Sony Vaio
    Memory
    8 GB Ram DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
This is my latest Desktop layout. The Taskbar auto hides between uses. This just happens to be the background displayed at present. Changes each 10 minutes. I like variety. I have approx. 100 landscapes in my themes folder that I shuffle through. Notice the uncluttered look. Plus I still have lots of space on the taskbar.

MyDesktop.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7/Win 8 CP Dual Boot
    Sony Vaio
    CPU
    Intel 2.53 GHz
    Motherboard
    Sony Vaio
    Memory
    8 GB Ram DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
I just use the desktop toolbar, and hide the desktop and toolbar icons, nothing pinned:
Screenshot (4).png Just opening the toolbar gets me most of the functionality I need
Screenshot (5).png Any new applications just need shortcuts on the desktop - with the Icons unhidden, the desktop would look like this:
Screenshot (6).png Just slide the taskbar divider, and the menu becomes a launch bar. I've also got a clock gadget to hover over:
Screenshot (7).jpg Or a calendar:
Screenshot (8).jpg I can close or log off or restart:
Screenshot (9).jpg And if I want to find something on a deep path, without opening lots of windows and doing lots of clicks, I can:
Screenshot (10).png I've not got a lot of use for Apps, as such, but Metro is there if I need it:
Screenshot (12).pngNow, how do I get rid of the start button in Windows 7 and XP? ... :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP COMPAQ Presario CQ57
    CPU
    AMD E- 300 APU with Radion HD Graphics 1.30GHz
    Motherboard
    inbuilt
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio on-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    notebook
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST9500325AS
    Google drive 15GB
    Skydrive 25GB
    BT Cloud
    PSU
    external 20v
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    pretty good
    Keyboard
    inbuilt
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity Unlimited - 80 up 20 down =70/16 really
    Browser
    Chrome Canary usually
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Malwarebytes
    Other Info
    no Start menu modifications
    Upgraded with no issues to 8.0 and to 8.1
Yeah right. Toolbars are the way to go. I use them in Windows 7 too and really have no need for the Start. And for the shortcuts that I use all the time, I have the hidden Rocket Dock. It is all a matter of proper organization.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
No, it is a matter of preference.

Some people like to have toolbars - some prefer the start menu -some use both - some use 3rd party app. like rocketdock - some use all kinds of combinations .

Some like to have desktop icons showing, some do not.

I don't like toolbars myself - I find them messy . I prefer to have most things (including fly out menus - same thing as toolbars, really) in the start menu. It much neater and more convenient having it all tucked away in just one little orb. That is my personal preference.

I am very happy that the ability to create toolbars is included - because other folk want them.

I certainly do not want to see that function removed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I don't like the look of them.

E.G. I am constantly going back and forth between 17 drives , I also frequently use recent items - dozens of times - perhaps hundreds of times a day. So I have all those and several other things in the right of the start menu - flying out as a menu. In a sense those are like toolbars.

I also have several shortcuts in the left of the start menu - things I use a fair amount - but not as often as the ones on the taskbar. That keeps the desktop icon count down. Under that is the All Programs section - I don't that part terribly often - only to get at rarely used stuff.

It is all accessible easily and quickly from one little orb - it looks neat, too.

Excellent.

I can't think of a better way to access what I want.

It might not suit everyone - it isn't to easy for you perhaps because of your vision - but it should be there for those who want it.

MS spent a lot of time and effort improving it over the years.

Now they have taken it away.

Not because it is better for the user not to have it - but because it is better for MS.

If the start menu was still there, most people would use it all the time - therefore they would not go to the kindergarten screen.

MS want you to go to to the kindergarten screen because that is how they coax/exhort the easily led to go into the MS clouds.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
The last several posts in this thread illustrate an important point: because different people are doing different things in different ways, It helps that Windows often has more than one way of doing things.

Windows 8 allows you to do things in different ways, and there are free apps to add more ways. I installed the Vista Start Button, it works fine, and I'm happy. If you want to use another method, that's fine, too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Yes, you can replicate the functions that have been removed.

The point is - many people - the "average user", won't do that.

The average user will be constantly presented with the start screen - they will almost certainly sign in with their Id - get a couple of apps., sync their devices - that will lead to them uploading stuff to share with granny into skydrive,etc

Before you know it , they will be reliant on the MS online services.

The next Windows in 3 or 4 years will be almost unusable unless you do that.

There will be charging for the online services - gradually introduced

The next one after that in 6 or 7 years - it will be compulsory.

Hundreds of millions will be entrenched in the MS clouds with enormous barriers to leaving - just think of the hassle.

The next Windows after that - entirely dependent on doing everything via MS online - possibly your entire o/s and data will be stored there - you will boot up online.

It is a retrograde step in many ways. It will certainly cost.

That is what metro is for. That is why MS removed the start menu.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
All I want to know is how to get this stupid Charms Bar to stop appearing when I'm doing my thing on my ancient, antiquated, very very old, crusty desktop. heh

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS AGP HD 3850 Turbo Ice-Q