I believe Win 8 is going to be another Windows Vista

Wasn't it apple that tried to corner themselves out a niche market back in 1984 with a new way of computing? But didn't Microsoft and IBM OS2 make the real headway and break the main stream consumer market first? Maybe I am remembering wrong.
I think we r going to see that again.

Touch tablets will be the focus of 2013.

Sent from my WP7 Phone

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Because labeeman likes to label Win8 a toy without actually learning how to use it and see what it does offer.

See, I think there are certain people that are just stuck in place and can't see the point in actually trying to start something new.

Hmm,, funny I just saw a video posted around here about that very thing.
Stale, stuck in mediocrity with Apple, Google, and an almost 20 year old desktop concept.

they can't , no, refuse, to see what can be done to try and make things better,

And if that first iteration of an attempt at something new isn't exactly on par godly perfect,
well, it's junk and why should we even look at it. We should ridicule it to nonexistence.
isn't that a something a,,, I cant' remember,, Paul, or Ball, or Crawl, some Alyk guy,,, Freeze it Polarize it Destroy It.

hehe some interesting points there tepid.

i think after windows 7 which whether some agree or not got pretty much everything right, was close to being the perfect o/s, many held windows 8 up to a higher standard and were let down.

they raised the bar and failed to meet it themselves.

if we think xp was around for too long just imagine how long win 7 will be around for.

I can't see a big uptake in touch based o/s untill there is greater market saturation of touch devices be they stations/desks/walls(not an actual wall) pretty much anything that can be imagined that would improve the experience from a user standpoint.

microsoft weren't wrong to release windows 8...they just released it at a time when there was little really impressive supporting hardware to make the experience worthwhile.

Yes I was let down. I ordered a 4 wheel drive one ton truck with all the bells and whistles when it came in I unpacked it and discovered a 4 wheel drive one ton truck but all the bells and whistles were on the scooter that I had to tow around all the time even the keys for the truck were on the scooter. This is how Window8 works and do not try to convince me other wise because you will be talking to your self.

not once have i tried to convince you of anything, your entitled to your own views and those i will not try to change.

what i was trying to convince you of is alternative points of view that you should look at and consider and see that not everyone is as disgruntled by windows 8 as others, 1 million downloads of classic shell compared to the 40+ million sales of windows 8 and i can add 13 sales of that just from today and 200+ in the last month alone, none of them wanted an addon for the old start menu...and i'm the worst salesman in the world.

how I see windows 8 and how you see windows 8 is different just like it is different for all users of any device known to ever exist.

i've been fine with almost all aspects of windows 8 for over a year now as far as i'm concerned it's old hat and second nature, so for my part it's just how we deal with change in different ways whether i like that change or not isn't in question either.

I've backed down quite a lot on the start screen debates not because it has changed or had the flexibility i want added, but because some users on this very forum have given me some great points of view to consider and think on, I took thier points of view and changed my own, though i still want that flexibility introduced i'm far more patient about it now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
not once have i tried to convince you of anything, your entitled to your own views and those i will not try to change.

what i was trying to convince you of is alternative points of view that you should look at and consider and see that not everyone is as disgruntled by windows 8 as others, 1 million downloads of classic shell compared to the 40+ million sales of windows 8 and i can add 13 sales of that just from today and 200+ in the last month alone, none of them wanted an addon for the old start menu...and i'm the worst salesman in the world.

Hmmm... do you even think about your words?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX

Hmmm... do you even think about your words?

do you even read?

what i was trying to convince you of is alternative points of view

way to single out half a sentence to suit your own needs yet again....note you singled out half of a sentence which is taking it out of context and reducing the meaning of the entire sentence to make yourself look like an absolute and utter ****ing moron yet again.

so because i said i was not trying to change his point of view you assume i was in the next line without even reading it where i was actually trying to convince him to see alternative points of view from other posters that weren't trying to argue but offer a different angle to a discussion based on their own experiences.

either way you look at it that is a poster trying to in some manner convince another poster to see their side of the discussion.

but then had you actually read it and not taken it out of context like you do almost every single time you may have actually noticed.

mystere i once asked you to never engage with me in conversation i will now seek to derail every single one of your posts and take all of your comments out of context at any given opportunity like you do with others.

your really a pain in the ass.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
Microsoft 8 is a piece of junk. Wish I had never loaded it. I'm running 8 pro and in my 20 years of running and working on pc's windows 8 is the worst of the worst. Every one of them should be fired.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 pro
My work has already decided that unless our customers ask for it (there has only been 1 so far and we managed to steer them away from that trainwreck), we will not be using Windows 8 in any the new systems we build for clients. Server 8 is almost as bad but slightly more bearable, but hell if I'd want to drop that on some poor unsuspecting business >.<

Windows 8 is great, if you replace the start menu and skip the metro shitpile. Once you make it like Windows 7, I find I actually like it more than 7...
I will say though, in a tablet the metro is OK. Why they forced it onto desktop users is a mystery that I hope someone lost their job for

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sager NP8265-S
    CPU
    i7 4700mq
    Motherboard
    Clevo
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD8790m
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" Samsung / 15.4" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128GB Adata SX300
    750GB WD 7200rpm
    PSU
    Clevo
    Case
    Clevo
    Cooling
    2 fans
    Keyboard
    10$ msi Chicklet
    Mouse
    gigabyte gm-m6800
    Internet Speed
    decent
Thing of it is, as bad as metro is, simply by adding Classic Shell, one can have all the functionality of a normal desktop environment without any of the metro annoyances whatsoever. There is absolutely no reason to avoid 8 just because of metro...it can be totally avoided.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
Thing of it is, as bad as metro is, simply by adding Classic Shell, one can have all the functionality of a normal desktop environment without any of the metro annoyances whatsoever. There is absolutely no reason to avoid 8 just because of metro...it can be totally avoided.

I agree. But sending it out the door to clients, especially if they're in an environment with many people... it just creates a potential for madness and more headaches than just using 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sager NP8265-S
    CPU
    i7 4700mq
    Motherboard
    Clevo
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD8790m
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" Samsung / 15.4" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128GB Adata SX300
    750GB WD 7200rpm
    PSU
    Clevo
    Case
    Clevo
    Cooling
    2 fans
    Keyboard
    10$ msi Chicklet
    Mouse
    gigabyte gm-m6800
    Internet Speed
    decent
Server 8 is almost as bad but slightly more bearable, but hell if I'd want to drop that on some poor unsuspecting business >.<
There is no such thing as server 8. Do you mean server 2012?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Server 8 is almost as bad but slightly more bearable, but hell if I'd want to drop that on some poor unsuspecting business >.<
There is no such thing as server 8. Do you mean server 2012?

Semantics. :rolleyes:

Yes I meant 2012. I dunno why but I always call it server 8, heh.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sager NP8265-S
    CPU
    i7 4700mq
    Motherboard
    Clevo
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD8790m
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" Samsung / 15.4" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128GB Adata SX300
    750GB WD 7200rpm
    PSU
    Clevo
    Case
    Clevo
    Cooling
    2 fans
    Keyboard
    10$ msi Chicklet
    Mouse
    gigabyte gm-m6800
    Internet Speed
    decent
Server 2012 is a good product. The new interactive server manager is great. SMB3 is good. Super fast chkdsk and no need to restart for doing c drive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
In your opinion :)

After using it a fair amount, I think I will wait for awhile before I start putting it to any good use. Not convinced yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sager NP8265-S
    CPU
    i7 4700mq
    Motherboard
    Clevo
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD8790m
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" Samsung / 15.4" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128GB Adata SX300
    750GB WD 7200rpm
    PSU
    Clevo
    Case
    Clevo
    Cooling
    2 fans
    Keyboard
    10$ msi Chicklet
    Mouse
    gigabyte gm-m6800
    Internet Speed
    decent
Personally, I think there are a whole lot of Tech People who should be pretty ashamed of themselves for how they are treating Win8.
If we are to be perfectly honest, the underlying OS is extremely solid. Yet, all over, not just here, Win8 get's put down for what???

It's navigation. ,, The Start Screen.... Really? the comments from all over the web by real tech people are just down right redcilous.

It's called the worst OS ever produced. Wouldn't subject my enemies to it.

I mean that really is about as ridiculous a statement from ANY Techy as a stripper who says she doesn't take 20's.

Many complained about the ribbon in Office 2007, yet as people learned how to use it, it is better.
Yet, what did techies do? Yep, they put the 2003 GUI on it and called it a day.

I mean,, seriously, let's be honest, using ClassicShell is not a stretch, nor is it difficult, if you don't like the new start screen and lack of start button.

Going to the lengths people are just to ridicule and put down Win8 over navigation is pretty ridiculous at best.

The Charms bar is not that bad or difficult, everything a normal person needs is there and more.
It's just different, and no, it doesn't take any more time to use it than it does to use an actual start button.

Are there issues with win8,, sure, but let's be honest again,, where are the drivers for the new OS? 3rd parties didn't seem to (AGAIN) put any effort or time into R&D for drivers at release, rather they wait and see. Don't blame the OS (AGAIN) for the issues of the 3rd parties.

Let me add this last bit of note....
If you don't like the Apps in the start screen or from the store, you are not obligated to use them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Personally, I think there are a whole lot of Tech People who should be pretty ashamed of themselves for how they are treating Win8.
If we are to be perfectly honest, the underlying OS is extremely solid. Yet, all over, not just here, Win8 get's put down for what???

It's navigation. ,, The Start Screen.... Really? the comments from all over the web by real tech people are just down right redcilous.

I mean that really is about as ridiculous a statement from ANY Techy as a stripper who says she doesn't take 20's.

Many complained about the ribbon in Office 2007, yet as people learned how to use it, it is better.

I mean,, seriously, let's be honest, using ClassicShell is not a stretch, nor is it difficult, if you don't like the new start screen and lack of start button.

Going to the lengths people are just to ridicule and put down Win8 over navigation is pretty ridiculous at best.

The Charms bar is not that bad or difficult, everything a normal person needs is there and more.
It's just different, and no, it doesn't take any more time to use it than it does to use an actual start button.

Are there issues with win8,, sure, but let's be honest again,, where are the drivers for the new OS? 3rd parties didn't seem to (AGAIN) put any effort or time into R&D for drivers at release, rather they wait and see. Don't blame the OS (AGAIN) for the issues of the 3rd parties.

If you don't like the Apps in the start screen or from the store, you are not obligated to use them.

It is Microsoft that should be ashamed not the customer base and here is an article for you to read.

Windows 8

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
Tepid: You know you are dangerously close to treason and heresy for posting sane, well balanced, favorable opinions of Windows 8 -- especially in a somewhat "Tech People" saturated environment. But, for what it's worth, I agree with you 100%.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    i3-3225
    Motherboard
    H77M-D3H (micro-ATX)
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    none (Intel HD4000 IGP)
    Sound Card
    mobo integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2312HM & Samsung 171N
    Screen Resolution
    1080x1920 (portrait) & 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Intel 520, 120GB SSD
    Kingston SNV425S2 64GB SSD
    WD WD10EARS 1GB HDD
    PSU
    Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 460W
    Case
    Silverstone TJ-08E
    Cooling
    Intel stock HSF
    Keyboard
    Logitech K260
    Mouse
    Logitech M210
    Internet Speed
    10Mbps/1Mbps DOCSIS

It is Microsoft that should be ashamed not the customer base and here is an article for you to read.

Windows 8

I have noticed that a lot of people have shored up their opinion with this article. I have yet found any data on how this study was conducted. Perhaps someone can point me to a source of such.

If there's one thing common amongst us, whether liking or disliking, it's the fact that 8 is quite a change from previous OSs. No doubt about it. It's a bit more of a learning curve, but not as much as some make it out to be.

If it's that they had "cold" tested 8 without candidates reading help files or verbally instructing candidates some of the changes made, then to me, it is a farce. It's not reasonably scientific to me. A reasonable explanation of Start Screen instead of the Start Menu, the importance of the four hot corners for navigation, use of Charms bars, and showing that the familiar classic desktop still exists as a portal of the new Modern UI would be all that it takes just for starters.

It would be like giving an array of needed parts to build a V8 engine to someone who comprehends how that engine is designed and how it works, but no instructions on how to assemble it. Yes, sooner or later one could assemble the engine knowing the design and concept, but it would be a lot faster and less frustrating with instructions. If it be that kind of "cold" build-the-engine test, then it is absolutely ludicrous IMO.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Lack of Multiple Windows = Memory Overload for Complex Tasks

Summary: Hidden features, reduced discoverability, cognitive overhead from dual environments, and reduced power from a single-window UI and low information density. Too bad.

Absolute BS, and this is what I am talking about techies should be ashamed of. They absolutely make no distinction between WinRT or Win8Pro in that article, they lump Win8 as a whole. Which nullifies the entire article as biased, no matter what they are trying to say.

And when layman people read that one part of the article, they are instantly turned away.

But I forget, we live in an uneducated/under-educated, iMe/Droid (sheople) society.

I admit, MS made mis-steps with the GUI, but it's not the end of all that is in Win8. And the less educated (non-techies) rely on us techies to set the record straight. Yet, the majority of us are not and we are providing flat out false information (lying) or not giving a well rounded complete picture of the overall capabilities without bias for the gui. And that IS SHAMEFUL for a Techy.

I can talk about the differences between iPad and Android cause I have seen them. They are toys, as is WinRT, they are specific driven OS's with limited functionality. Win8 Pro on the other hand, Smokes them all in the capabilities of what it provides, and most importantly, in a tablet form with a proper CPU, Graphics and Memory. Surface Pro, at this time provides far more than Any iPad or Android device combined, heck if we are to be honest, despite the lack of apps, WinRT is far better than those other 2.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Training != Intuition

If it's that they had "cold" tested 8 without candidates reading help files or verbally instructing candidates some of the changes made, then to me, it is a farce. It's not reasonably scientific to me. A reasonable explanation of Start Screen instead of the Start Menu, the importance of the four hot corners for navigation, use of Charms bars, and showing that the familiar classic desktop still exists as a portal of the new Modern UI would be all that it takes just for starters.

Training != Intuition

If W8 was "Intuitive" people would need to be trained (e.g. how to look for and find invisible hotspots).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Hi there

Happy Xmas everyone.

Just posting this while waiting for kettle to boil and before making Xmas breakfast.

Windows 8 / Windows 7 --- as the Brits say "Horses for courses".

Just before Xmas I was in a computer store (normally I HATE visiting ANY STORES - computer or otherwise --shopping is one activity I positively HATE with a passion as typical Males do !!) and it was quite full of loads of people buying Windows 8 installed laptops --who says tablets are killing laptop sales- and most reactions from what I could hear were overwhelmingly positive.

Joe Public actually doesn't think Windows 8 is too horrible in spite of the bad press it appears to be getting from technical areas.

What surprised me was how empty the "Fruit Company" stands were -- almost nobody was buying apple laptops but the cheaper end of the laptop market was extremely busy with adequately specced laptops (not Netbooks BTW) just flying off the shelves.

The tablet section wasn't as busy as I thought it would be either.

I know you can't apply rigorous statistical analysis to the observations seen in one store - even if it was a large one -- but I get the impression that for a lot of people Windows 8 will be just fine --while you can always install Windows 7 if you don't like it or prefer to use the traditional Windows interface.

The latest HP computer which operates also as a tablet (can't remember the name) also seems to be very very popular too.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB