I believe Win 8 is going to be another Windows Vista

Windows 8 looks like it was designed by FISHER PRICE!

and Windows XP was designed by Disney, uh huh, we have hear it before.

Win 8 offers nothing of value to desktop users.

Yes it does, people just refuse to see it.

Could Win8 be better? Yes.

Does it work now? Yes.

Is the Metro interface perfect? No. Usable with Keyboard and Mouse and actually have a use? Yes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS

Does it work now? Yes.

Is the Metro interface perfect? No. Usable with Keyboard and Mouse and actually have a use? Yes.

No Window8 was not designed by FISHER PRICE it was designed for FISHER PRICE. The metro ui runs in a VM for tablets and tablets are kids toys that is why you cannot multitask in the metro ui. APPS for the tablets can only run in metro not on the desktop. The motive for Microsoft to force you to use metro is because it is a full screen ADD to buy a tablet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
Tanzanos, I'm going to take it your in the under 30 crowd. Because if you were around when Windows was originally introduced you would know this so-called Start Menu is nothing more than a fancier version of Windows 3.x. Tiles/Icons it's ALL apples and oranges to me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail

Does it work now? Yes.

Thank you!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD3H
    Memory
    16 GB Patriot Viper 3 DDR3-1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 470 GTX
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M4 256 GB, WD WD20EFRX 2 TB
    PSU
    OCZ 700W
    Case
    Corsair 300R
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
C'mon, folks. Let's show some emotion in these posts. :cry:

Such passion. Over an operating system??? :sarc:

We get it. Some people don't like it. Some people do. Different strokes for different folks, and all.

I certainly hope it is lethargic to rant anonymously on a public forum. Otherwise, pharmaceutical companies may be big winners in the Windows 8 introduction.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    i3-3225
    Motherboard
    H77M-D3H (micro-ATX)
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    none (Intel HD4000 IGP)
    Sound Card
    mobo integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2312HM & Samsung 171N
    Screen Resolution
    1080x1920 (portrait) & 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Intel 520, 120GB SSD
    Kingston SNV425S2 64GB SSD
    WD WD10EARS 1GB HDD
    PSU
    Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 460W
    Case
    Silverstone TJ-08E
    Cooling
    Intel stock HSF
    Keyboard
    Logitech K260
    Mouse
    Logitech M210
    Internet Speed
    10Mbps/1Mbps DOCSIS
C'mon, folks. Let's show some emotion in these posts. :cry:

Such passion. Over an operating system??? :sarc:

We get it. Some people don't like it. Some people do. Different strokes for different folks, and all.

I certainly hope it is lethargic to rant anonymously on a public forum. Otherwise, pharmaceutical companies may be big winners in the Windows 8 introduction.

I guess you meant "Cathartic"? ;D

But anyway, some people (myself included) need to spend a majority of their waking lives living inside the UI of their OS. These things can be EXTREMELY important for day to day (minute to minute) work efficiency...

Also MS monitors this and other large forums. With any luck, they will pay attention to post release feedback, though it may be only after the $$$ start dropping like a stone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
That's a silly argument. Vanilla Coke was a flavor that was added in addition to classic coke. It was not intended to replace classic coke. A better comparison would be New Coke, from back in the 80's. It's still considered to be one of the worst product changes in history. And time will tell whether or not this is that case, however according to Microsoft's telemetry data, it seems that most users are getting along just fine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
The overall big picture...

...through rose tinted glasses.

I suggest you take your blinders off and put some glasses on. I believe the "present future" of computing is before our very eyes. I feel Windows 8 is an ingenious model far beyond anything Apple, Google, or anyone else could possibly develop. Others simply do not have, or ever will have the talented and creative personal that MS has.

Microsoft has made lots of mistakes in its time, just like Apple and any large corporation, none of them are infallible. There is no doubt that the Modern interface is half baked through lack of flexibility of the Modern interface in a desktop environment.

Yes, no one or any company is infallible. MS has no doubt made some mistakes through the years as we all do. I feel Microsoft has made no mistake here, though. "that the Modern interface is half baked through lack of flexibility of the Modern interface in a desktop environment", I feel, is your unsubstantiated viewpoint and opinion. It may not fit your needs or workflow, but that doesn't mean it's "half-baked" as you state.

Incidentally, there is no "desktop" pertaining to the new Modern interface. I'm sorry you view it that way. It is completely independent of the Win32 desktop environment. The traditional Win32 desktop, which presently takes 2nd place to the Modern UI, is presently only a portal of the new interface, which is there to run Win32 legacy programs. I think it to be MS's business plan to introduce the Modern UI and to preserve the Win32 desktop so as to run legacy programs for a time. I see it as being the best orientation of the new and the old.

You and others clearly like the change, but simply because you like it, doesn’t mean that everyone should like it. I notice that you keep defending Windows 8 from any criticism, but never address legitimate points that people raise, always preferring to justify what Microsoft has done. This sounds exactly like Apple's approach for recent failures, until they had to call Mea Culpa.

I never claimed that everyone should or would like 8. I feel that if it doesn't fulfill one’s desires, one should simply stick to a prior OS or other OSs. Choices still exist for now.

They are legitimate points to you. Again, I think it is of your opinion. I don’t see them as being legitimate. They are unsubstantiated to me. As Mystere has stated and as I agree, all the complaining of what you and others think that are flaws or lack of choices isn’t going to change MS’s decision to keep steady on their course. I believe it is deeply embedded in their business plan, which I think also involves a certain time span for the user to become familiar to the change.

I don't see how I do, nor do I need to defend 8. I think it stands quite all right on it's own. Show me a direct defensive statement of mine and I’ll correct it. I try my utmost to write using statements like “I think”, “I feel”, and/or “I believe”, which are preliminary statements to introduce my personal perspective and/or opinion so as not to personally attack others or try to make them feel as such.

Mea Culpa? Is that a California priestess that hears Apple employees' confessions? :p

If Microsoft does the same, then Windows 8, and anything following, is going to suffer because of the sour taste left in people's mouths. The people here are the vocal minority, don't lose sight of the silent majority.

I believe MS is making no mistakes as others possibly did. Again, their Windows 8 model is far, far superior to what others would ever attempt to develop or have created. To me, MS has always been quite a creative company seemingly on the leading edge. I think there plan in introducing 8 and creating an environment to eventually become familiar across all devices is a rock-solid one.

Enough time here....Gotta go....Too-a-roo for now :).....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Of course what I'm saying is my opinion, it's not something written in stone. But that opinion is also reflected in other people's comments. Once again, all you're doing is expressing a different opinion.

All Windows 8 has done is introduce a different looking start menu that takes you to apps that you have no ability to view and use, other than on a single screen. No ability to re-size, no ability to use re-sized, no ability to move about, no ability to use dual monitors. That, of course, is just my opinion. :sarc:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
All Windows 8 has done is introduce a different looking start menu that takes you to apps that you have no ability to view and use, other than on a single screen. No ability to re-size, no ability to use re-sized, no ability to move about, no ability to use dual monitors. That, of course, is just my opinion. :sarc:
That's part of the beauty of Windows 8. If you have a computer, such as a touch screen-enabled device, you have an OS tailored for that. If you don't, or prefer the W7-style Start Menu and Desktop, you can use your OS in that manner as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD3H
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 470 GTX
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    OCZ 700W
    Case
    Corsair 300R
    Cooling
BUT Mystere NEW Coke replaced Original Coke! How soon those Pepsi lovers forget.

That's what I said.

And, while they did eventually revert back to Classic coke, we still have vestiges of it in the form of Diet Coke, which is the same formula but with NutraSweet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
That's part of the beauty of Windows 8. If you have a computer, such as a touch screen-enabled device, you have an OS tailored for that. If you don't, or prefer the W7-style Start Menu and Desktop, you can use your OS in that manner as well.

I still don't understand why people fail to comprehend what I'm saying. Windows 8 does not offer a great deal of practicality, when it comes to running apps. If you had a 48" touch (or not) screen, all you could do is open one app at a time and only view it full screen (or split two apps on one screen for the pedantic). That is utterly dumb.

Also, you can't fully default to a desktop, without resorting to third party software, to eliminate the need for the Windows 8 start menu. Again, no beauty or practicality in having to go to a completely different screen to choose programs each time, when a simple start button is proven.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
The overall big picture...

...through rose tinted glasses.

I suggest you take your blinders off and put some glasses on. I believe the "present future" of computing is before our very eyes. I feel Windows 8 is an ingenious model far beyond anything Apple, Google, or anyone else could possibly develop. Others simply do not have, or ever will have the talented and creative personal that MS has.
...Too-a-roo for now :).....

I sure hope not in my research on how to disable the metro VM I ran across this If the dictators at Microsoft do not like an APP they can disable it on your tablet even if it is a paid APP that you like.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
I think with a few tweaks when they do the next version or update it in blue or what have you they can make it more business friendly. At the core in desktop most things haven't changed. But for the things that have changed I can see overall why it can make business users unlikely to be able to use it as well. Vista wasn't actually that bad I just didn't see it as much of an improvement with the time between Vista and XP. Windows 8 is okay just not as easy to use as it could be but maybe that will change and if not business can wait for an update or next windows.

My Computer

I still don't understand why people fail to comprehend what I'm saying. Windows 8 does not offer a great deal of practicality, when it comes to running apps. If you had a 48" touch (or not) screen, all you could do is open one app at a time and only view it full screen (or split two apps on one screen for the pedantic). That is utterly dumb.
It offers plenty...you just haven't been through the learning curve yet. I'm not in front of my W8 system, but in the Launch Event, MS demonstrated that in tiled ui, you can swipe down along the left of the screen and see all active apps...then click on one you want to switch to, much like a hidden task bar.

Yes, it is a shame that you need a third party app for a Start Menu, but plenty of options are free, and work very well. Instead of considering this a roadblock, it's actually a minor speed bump.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD3H
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 470 GTX
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    OCZ 700W
    Case
    Corsair 300R
    Cooling
bla bla bla, adopt it now and learn (especially if you are an IT Professional). Or stick with Windows 7 and wait for SP1 to "fix" or add "features" that people are crying about.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
bla bla bla, adopt it now and learn (especially if you are an IT Professional). Or stick with Windows 7 and wait for SP1 to "fix" or add "features" that people are crying about.

Only the wheel that whines will get the grease.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
Listen. I agree, Windows 8 is not perfect. And there are some missteps, but over all, they are not the end of the world.
Yes, Apps should run like normal Desktop Software and have re-sizable windows to provide true Multi-Tasking abilities.

Had they done that, i believe that Windows 8 would be an Android/Apple Killer. That's true.

But as with Vista, MS are taking a new approach to things. This is not a bad thing.
Live Tiles are great. Among other things.

I think too many people take the absolute Extreme side of things.

Instead of looking at a lot of the positives, they are just writing everything off all because they don't like the GUI,, that's well......

MS doens't want to lose the future to the likes of Apple and Android. So they are trying aomething new,, I think it's a great direction that needs quite a bit of tweaking. I think we will see those get fixed.

No they are alienating at least 30 to 40% of there current installed base with a ui made for TOYS.

I think I know -> that you know -> that they know that -> that "at least 30 to 40% of there current installed base" will stick to 7, some other prior OS, or upgrade to 7 while they introduce this needed "market-demanding transitional" OS. A business plan involves a time line. It takes time for transition. I'm quite sure they have a 9 that they're already working on to appease that 30 to 40%.

Has anyone thought about what you will say us "fanbois" when we get to NineForums? Or better yet -> What we will say to you? :think:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
It offers plenty...you just haven't been through the learning curve yet. I'm not in front of my W8 system, but in the Launch Event, MS demonstrated that in tiled ui, you can swipe down along the left of the screen and see all active apps...then click on one you want to switch to, much like a hidden task bar.

Yes, it is a shame that you need a third party app for a Start Menu, but plenty of options are free, and work very well. Instead of considering this a roadblock, it's actually a minor speed bump.

How long should a learning curve be, before one is able to make some judgements as to a product's functionality/practicality? I learned to us Photoshop, Lightroom, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and a bunch of other programs without any training and they are somewhat harder to learn than a simple start menu. And yes, I also know that you can get third party hacks to fix the problems; that in itself shows that there is a problem.

I'm able to use Windows 8 as well as anyone, but the start menu and associated apps are a complete dog's breakfast in terms of useability and practicality on a desktop. Yes, I also know that there are people on this forum who believe that the start menu is God's gift to the world, but they are also the ones that believe that you don't look a gift horse in the mouth. But you can't run away from the fact that the start menu and associated apps work within the limitations imposed by smart phones. How dumb is that?

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back