I believe Win 8 is going to be another Windows Vista

Listen. I agree, Windows 8 is not perfect. And there are some missteps, but over all, they are not the end of the world.
Yes, Apps should run like normal Desktop Software and have re-sizable windows to provide true Multi-Tasking abilities.

Had they done that, i believe that Windows 8 would be an Android/Apple Killer. That's true.

But as with Vista, MS are taking a new approach to things. This is not a bad thing.
Live Tiles are great. Among other things.

I think too many people take the absolute Extreme side of things.

Instead of looking at a lot of the positives, they are just writing everything off all because they don't like the GUI,, that's well......

MS doens't want to lose the future to the likes of Apple and Android. So they are trying aomething new,, I think it's a great direction that needs quite a bit of tweaking. I think we will see those get fixed.

No they are alienating at least 30 to 40% of there current installed base with a ui made for TOYS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    System Manufacturer/Model
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
People keep talking they are unable to multi-task in Windows 8. I don't get that AT all. Right now I have in excess of 200 windows open right now from Internet Explorer to Office, and it still works perfectly fine pressing Alt and holding it while tapping on the tab key to scroll thru the windows to get the one(s) I want. So please explain to me why you are unable to multi-task in Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
People keep talking they are unable to multi-task in Windows 8. I don't get that AT all. Right now I have in excess of 200 windows open right now from Internet Explorer to Office, and it still works perfectly fine pressing Alt and holding it while tapping on the tab key to scroll thru the windows to get the one(s) I want. So please explain to me why you are unable to multi-task in Windows 8.

it's not the lack of multiscreen support or multitasking for normal applications, it's the metro that frankly doesn't even care if you have 30 monitors it will only display on one screen taking up the entire screen in the process and being unable to use any other screen to display a metro app.

i have mentioned before that normal multi tasking is fine but that means sacrificing metro completely, the transition from desktop multi screen tasking to wham a massive screen start menu can be quite jarring depending on what was there, a game/movie for the most part are the worst windows 7 isn't exactly great there either but the start menu doesn't force you out of the desktop there.

simply metro seems to rub people the wrong way when opening and closing from open apps on the desktop, something that bugs me a little but not that much, in the workplace it would annoy me a great deal more.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
How can anyone possibly say that 8 will be another Vista? if it's because of the new Metro screen, no Start button, etc, then that's understandable, but certainly not enough to conclude that 8 will become another Vista. 8 is faster than 7, boots faster, etc. 7 is more stable, but that's because it's had several yrs behind it and Updates/Service Pack 1 from MS, as well as numerous drivers released for it, tons of software designed specifically for 7. in time, 8 will become as stable as 7. when vista was released it was slower than molasses going uphill on a cold day in hell, i hated it. but in all fairness to Vista, it did become alot faster and more stable after a few yrs and the fact that MS released numerous updates and improvements for it, etc. That's my 2 cents..........

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64, Windows Server 2012 R2 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G700
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3632QM, 2.20 GHz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    6 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 720M, Intel HD 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 (max)
    Hard Drives
    1 TB HDD (5400 RPM), 1.5 TB HDD (5400 RPM) installed in a 12.7mm disc drive caddy
    Case
    Lenovo
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Laptop/notebook keyboard/touchpad
    Internet Speed
    It varies, since I'm mobile most of the time
    Browser
    Chromium (the open-source browser which Google Chrome is derived from)
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Privatefirewall
    Other Info
    I will add more information here later
Well, they may change things up with Blue, which will be out well before a 9, I assume.

he was sold easily on the rest of the o/s but not metro's lack of multiscreen support, and since i have these discussions here with all of you i knew how it would turn out.

sold him windows 7 with his windows 8 loaded laptop.

Lack of multi screen support!!! Are you kidding me!! Here you go, I run dual monitors here is how it handles them. Looks a lot like W7 to me:

These are me running several Programs over the two monitors, One is always a desktop and the other is the desktop "app"

multi1.png

multi2.png

multi3.png

Here is how it handles multiple "apps" from Metro and how you can easily switch between them using the upper left hot corner, all while another program runs on the constant desktop side. That hot corner works from both the Metro screen and the desktop! (I took these two with my camera as the screenshot keys overrode the menu and it would disappear before taking the shot)

WP_20121215_001.jpg

WP_20121215_002.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual Boot: Back to W7 and Ubuntu 12.04
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Dimension E521
    CPU
    AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 dual-core
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9800 GT 1GB
    Sound Card
    M-Audio Mobile Pre USB External
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 1916W
    Screen Resolution
    1440X900
    Hard Drives
    250 GB internal main, 500 GB internal backup, 1TB External
    PSU
    300 Watt (Dell stock)
    Case
    Dell Stock
    Keyboard
    Dell
    Mouse
    Dell
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    MSE/Defender or whatever it's called now
    Other Info
    Acer aspire One D255, Windows 8.1.1 Pro, 2GB Ram, Intel Atom N450 1.6Ghz
@geeve420: where did you find the background for the Start screen?

I have bought Decor8 from Stardock, it allows you to customize the Start screen, but am looking for a good source of new (and lots) of backgrounds.

I also wish they would bring back the option for full Aero Glass effects in 8, they could simply make it optional as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64, Windows Server 2012 R2 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G700
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3632QM, 2.20 GHz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    6 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 720M, Intel HD 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 (max)
    Hard Drives
    1 TB HDD (5400 RPM), 1.5 TB HDD (5400 RPM) installed in a 12.7mm disc drive caddy
    Case
    Lenovo
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Laptop/notebook keyboard/touchpad
    Internet Speed
    It varies, since I'm mobile most of the time
    Browser
    Chromium (the open-source browser which Google Chrome is derived from)
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Privatefirewall
    Other Info
    I will add more information here later
@geeve420: where did you find the background for the Start screen?

I have bought Decor8 from Stardock, it allows you to customize the Start screen, but am looking for a good source of new (and lots) of backgrounds.

I also wish they would bring back the option for full Aero Glass effects in 8, they could simply make it optional as well.

The start screen is a windows default if you choose blue on black in PC Settings under personalize (third from the left color wise, second from the left top row pic wise.) As far as the lady that I am using for my desktop, I don't remember :( I think it was included in a Rainmeter theme I had downloaded a long time ago.

Geeve

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Dimension E521
    CPU
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9800 GT 1GB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 1916W
    Screen Resolution
    1440X900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    300 Watt (Dell stock)
    Case
    Dell Stock
    Keyboard
    Dell
    Mouse
    Dell
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Geeve420.. thanks for posting #206
I didn't get the statement that was made either about the Metro UI on Dual Monitors.
Yeah it's different, but not useless. and this is what I mean by doing many people a disservice by not showing WHAT the Metro Start screen is and how useful it is.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
No problem. It seems a lack of knowledge (not saying anyone is dumb or stupid, just unknowing) more than anything else. I would agree that a tutorial or something similar would have made a big difference on understanding though. I would also agree that it is a disservice to spread misinformation, because of a lack of knowing....

Geeve

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Dimension E521
    CPU
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9800 GT 1GB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 1916W
    Screen Resolution
    1440X900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    300 Watt (Dell stock)
    Case
    Dell Stock
    Keyboard
    Dell
    Mouse
    Dell
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! You win!! [Why?] is the $One Million Dollar$ winner question today!! Tell you what...I'll trade you [Why?] for what's behind OS #9. How do you like that? Is it a deal? :thumbsup:

Why would Microsoft wait until Windows 9 to introduce such basic and desirable features? You only get one chance to make a first impression and Windows 8 should have slam dunked the opposition with this one, yet they apparently hesitated.

The overall big picture.....

It seems to me that you and others ask a lot of why. Why did they do it this way and not that way (?) when it comes to 8? I asked the same when learning it.

IMO, MS has a business plan. By all means they are a successful corporation. They are not stupid. A little aggressive perhaps, as most corporations might get to be at times, but not stupid. They are in the business of producing & selling OSs, as they have always have been, multiple other software products, some peripherals, xBox (hardware & gaming software), a Store, and now the Surfaces. The Pad market is their main market target right now as others have been and winning at I may add. 8 is written mainly for the touch pad to accomplish this market goal.

IMO, MS has produced a good "transitional" OS to attempt to appease all. It's the best of both worlds as I see it. A great touch UI along with the traditional Win32 desktop to run legacy programs. Two different users to use one OS. Another aim is for it to run across all devices. The desktop PC, the pad, and phone. Not an easy task by all means. I think their logic in this is that eventually it will become familiar to the user no matter which device one is using. A "transitional" learning process so to speak.

As I stated -> I asked a lot of why at start while focusing on learning 8. Mind you that I pretty much liked 8 off the bat so far as looks and flow. After installing, joining this forum and reading posts, reading posted article leads, trying to help others the best I can, and learning 8 so far as to why they produced 8 the way they did for the past six months, I began to see the overall big picture.

Yes. One is "forced" to use the Start Screen instead of the Start Menu. Some may think it to be aggressive on MS's part, but I don't see it that way. I think the Start Screen as being ingenious. "The house built out of the internet" giving updated personal information at a glance via live tiles. There also to launch Modern apps or Win32 legacy programs -> The best of both worlds.

I admit and can see that the All Apps screen may not fit all users so as it to be a hierarchical problem. I think that may be the biggest flaw of 8 that needs to be addressed. Please keep in mind that the All Apps screen is actually the replacement of the Start Menu, not the Start Screen.

I obviously don't have all the answers, but I applaud MS for "reimagining" themselves and taking aim at a market that is more and more demanding touch navigation. I think it to be the "present future". I absolutely have no problem using it with keyboard and mouse on a desktop tower PC without any touch peripherals, but that's me.

Anyone has the right to post demanding requests, but I don't think you'll get your way, for I believe the Start Screen along with All Apps is here to stay. I don't think they'll pump more money into the popular OS 7 with a SP2 either, for they are spending it on what they envision to be the future of computing. I think they know that most businesses will upgrade to 7, so they'll win at that as well.

In closing. [Why?] is the $one million dollar$ question in life. It may all be a matter of perception I guess.....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Well, they may change things up with Blue, which will be out well before a 9, I assume.

he was sold easily on the rest of the o/s but not metro's lack of multiscreen support, and since i have these discussions here with all of you i knew how it would turn out.

Lack of multi screen support!!! Are you kidding me!! Here you go, I run dual monitors here is how it handles them. Looks a lot like W7 to me:

These are me running several Programs over the two monitors, One is always a desktop and the other is the desktop "app"

multi1.png

multi2.png

multi3.png

What you're displaying here are not native 'Modern' apps, but desktop programs. Yes, I can do that as well, when I'm running the desktop, but you can't do that with any Modern app. Try opening two or more Modern apps at the same time and display them like you have here, you can't.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Your right I can't, but if I need to do that I will use desktop programs. I have no "apps" that I would need open at the same time. I honestly can't even think of a need to use multiple "apps". if I need my e-mail and weather full screen on two monitors, I have a browser for that. If I need multiple files open,I have file explorer.

And as I showed in the second set of pics, I can run multiple apps and switch between them.

I personally view the "apps" as quick info type things, not productivity style. for productivity, I use programs on the desktop. If I want to know the weather I have an "app" for that. listen to music "app", mail check "app" etc. But if I need to do work I go to the desktop and use full blown programs....

Geeve

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Dimension E521
    CPU
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9800 GT 1GB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 1916W
    Screen Resolution
    1440X900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    300 Watt (Dell stock)
    Case
    Dell Stock
    Keyboard
    Dell
    Mouse
    Dell
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
The overall big picture...

...through rose tinted glasses.

Microsoft has made lots of mistakes in its time, just like Apple and any large corporation, none of them are infallible. There is no doubt that the Modern interface is half baked through lack of flexibility of the Modern interface in a desktop environment.

You and others clearly like the change, but simply because you like it, doesn’t mean that everyone should like it. I notice that you keep defending Windows 8 from any criticism, but never address legitimate points that people raise, always preferring to justify what Microsoft has done. This sounds exactly like Apple's approach for recent failures, until they had to call Mea Culpa.

If Microsoft does the same, then Windows 8, and anything following, is going to suffer because of the sour taste left in people's mouths. The people here are the vocal minority, don't lose sight of the silent majority.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Your right I can't, but if I need to do that I will use desktop programs. I have no "apps" that I would need open at the same time. I honestly can't even think of a need to use multiple "apps". if I need my e-mail and weather full screen on two monitors, I have a browser for that. If I need multiple files open,I have file explorer.

And as I showed in the second set of pics, I can run multiple apps and switch between them.

I personally view the "apps" as quick info type things, not productivity style. for productivity, I use programs. If I want to know the weather I have an "app" for that. listen to music "app", mail check "app" etc. But if I need to do work I go to the desktop and use full blown programs....

Geeve

Personally, I would like to have access to a number of apps on one screen, while doing other things on the other. I would also like to be able to move and size those apps to suit my preferences. The point is, the Modern interface is what Microsoft wants everyone to use, not the desktop, but it doesn't do much at all.

It becomes immediately obvious that you can only use the Modern interface for singular tasks, or as a menu for desktop programs. Even as a social tool, the Modern interface is poor, because there is no flexibility in the visual display and functional usage, it becomes nothing more than a huge mobile phone screen. As a menu for desktop programs, it's utterly pointless, as the traditional start button, screen and taskbar shortcuts serve that role far better.

The current iteration of the Modern interface is a 'master' of nothing and not even a 'Jack of all trades'.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I see what your saying, and I could care less how MS wants me to use it, I will use the desktop and Modern screen how I want and how it fits my work flow. I guess it boils down to what you and I personally see the use for the Modern screen is. I see it more for quick use things and info, and a full screen start orb, where as you don't. Just a different view on it I guess.

I like it, you don't......que sera sera :D

Geeve

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Dimension E521
    CPU
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9800 GT 1GB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 1916W
    Screen Resolution
    1440X900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    300 Watt (Dell stock)
    Case
    Dell Stock
    Keyboard
    Dell
    Mouse
    Dell
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info

multi1.png

multi2.png

multi3.png

Here is how it handles multiple "apps" from Metro and how you can easily switch between them using the upper left hot corner, all while another program runs on the constant desktop side. That hot corner works from both the Metro screen and the desktop! (I took these two with my camera as the screenshot keys overrode the menu and it would disappear before taking the shot)

WP_20121215_001.jpg

WP_20121215_002.jpg

I hear you dude i really do, but i wasn't talking to some chump that didn't know a thing about computers, he was a software developer....so when i'm talking to those types i tread very carefully.

he had a nokia lumia with windows on it so it's not like he wasn't familiar with it either.

he'd used the beta versions and found the apps were more of a hindrance for the workplace....his words not mine...and i don't disagree with him, i really don't think windows 8 will ever be used effectivly in the workplace.

his complaint wasn't about the desktop apps either but the metro apps.

should have seen his face when i said ''so have you ever considered buying an apple'' i'd get banned from this forum if i were to repeat what he said.

i'm gonna make a sig later pointing out that anytime i reference windows 8 and crap multiscreen support i'm referring to metro.....because it simply doesn't have any support for it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
That's fine. All I'm trying to point out is that it could have been much, much, better and a huge opportunity has been lost to Microsoft to do things differently on the desktop. Another example comes to mind. Why can't you put the Modern interface as a panel to one side of the screen and have apps open next to it or on another screen, or both? Why can't the 'menu' be visible all the time? Or is all flexibility going to be restricted because this is eventually going to be an all-encompassing OS, driven by the lowest common denominator, the mobile phone?

My Computer

System One

• OS
That's fine. All I'm trying to point out is that it could have been much, much, better and a huge opportunity has been lost to Microsoft to do things differently on the desktop. Another example comes to mind. Why can't you put the Modern interface as a panel to one side of the screen and have apps open next to it or on another screen, or both? Why can't the 'menu' be visible all the time? Or is all flexibility going to be restricted because this is eventually going to be an all-encompassing OS, driven by the lowest common denominator, the mobile phone?

honestly i'm not sure, part of the reason behind it may be that metro apps and their desktop counterparts like internet explorer aren't actually linked in any way.

metro is essentially an add on in how it acts, it's like a VM on your computer at the moment and while it has access to all the pc's functions it doesn't integrate with them all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
Anyone remember VANILLA Flavoured COCA COLA? Coca Cola spent a lot of money on advertisements and market research and decided that Coca Cola needs to have a new flavour. Guess what; IT WAS A FLOP! People still prefer the OLD Coke flavour.

All that MS had to do was reinstate the options it removed (classic start menu) in Win 7. Win 8 offers nothing of value to desktop users. Anything it offers could easily be incorporated into win7 with a SP.

MS has lost interest in the desktop market and wants to be world leader in the smartphone and tablet market.

I have yet to meet personally anyone who likes METRO and RIBBON.

Win8 looks like it was designed by FISHER PRICE!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
    CPU
    i7 920
    Motherboard
    asus
    Memory
    6 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 560