Hyper-V - How to Use in Windows 8

How to Create a Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 8 and 8.1

information   Information
The Hyper-V technology provides an environment that you can use to create and manage virtual machines and their resources. Each virtual machine is an isolated, virtualized computer system that is capable of running its own operating system. This allows you to run multiple operating systems at the same time on the same physical computer.

This tutorial will show you how to use the built-in Hyper Virtualisation (Hyper-V) in Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 Enterprise to install and run a guest OS.

Note   Note
You will need to enable the Hyper-V components as detailed under Preparation first before proceeding. Note that not all systems will support this, so if yours doesn't, you won't be able to go any further. Sorry.

To create a Hyper-V client, you must have a 64-bit version of Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 Enterprise with a 64-bit CPU that supports SLAT (Second Level Address Translation). You’ll also need at least 4GB of RAM. Hyper-V does support creation of both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems in the VMs.

For more info, see also: Bringing Hyper-V to "Windows 8"

Preparation:

The first thing we need to do is to enable the Hyper-V components. To do this, we need to turn them on.

Open Windows Features. Provide Administrative credentials if prompted by UAC.

Expand the Hyper-V sub-section and ensure that all options are checked (ticked) as shown below. Click on OK and restart your computer to apply changes.

Windows-Features.jpg

If all options remain checked after a reboot, and you haven't received any error messages, then you are good to go. Continue with the next section, Here's How:. If not, then I'm sorry but your system doesn't support this feature.

Here's How:

If you have successfully carried out the Preparation, you will notice a couple of new icons on the Metro Start Page. These are Hyper-V Manager and Hyper-V Virtual Machine...

1. In order to install a guest OS (and I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 x86 for this Tutorial), we need to run the Hyper-V Manager, so click on its icon. to bring up the following screen:
Capture1.PNG

2. In order to allow the guest OS to have network access, we need to make a configuration change. Under the Actions panel, click Virtual Switch Manager... from above.

3. We need to create an External type switch, so ensure that this option is highlighted as shown and then click Create virtual switch.
Capture10.PNG

4. Ensure that the options are set as shown below (note that the actual name of the adapter will depend on your hardware) and then click OK.
Capture11.PNG

5. Take note of the above warning, and click Yes to complete the operation. You will then be returned to the Hyper-V Manager.
Capture12.PNG

6. Under the Actions panel, click New and then Virtual Machine... to bring up the following screen:
Capture2.PNG

7. To move through the screens of the Wizard, click Next and to review settings, click Previous. Click Next to continue.

Here, I have given a suitable name for my guest OS (the Virtual Machine). You can choose a location to save this VM to, but here I have left it as the default. Click Next to continue.
Capture3.PNG

8. I have assigned 1024MB of RAM for this VM (this figure will depend on the amount of RAM you have installed), and I have also checked the option Enable Hyper-V to manage the memory amount dynamically for this VM. Click Next to continue.
Capture4.PNG

9. In the Connection: dropbox, select the adapter you created earlier. Click on Next to continue.
Capture5.PNG

10. The only option that you should need to change here is the Size: of the virtual hard disk. I have changed mine to 32GB. Click Next to continue.
Capture6.PNG

11. Here, I have specified the source .iso file that will be used for the installation. Click Next to continue.
Capture7.PNG

12. This screen is just a summary of the previous ones. If you want to make any changes before committing yourself, you can do so by using Previous and Next to move through the other screens. When you are satisfied, click on Finish to continue. The Virtual Hard Disk will now be created, and you will then see the following screen.
Capture8.PNG

13. Under the Actions panel, click Start to run the VM. Note that there might be a slight delay the first time it is run. Click on Connect... to bring up the main screen. Alternatively, double-click the image to expand the main screen.
Capture9.PNG

14. If you click inside this screen, your cursor will be captured and will then only function in the VM. Install the OS just as you would normally. Note that installation will be slower under a VM compared to a native (normal) install.
Capture13.PNG

Attachments

• Hyper-V.png
    Hyper-V.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 417
Last edited by a moderator:
I think a few people here don't understand the purposes of Hyper-V and VMware Workstation.

would you mind to elaborate ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
I think a few people here don't understand the purposes of Hyper-V and VMware Workstation.

Thank you for explaining their purposes so clearly.

However, my opinion is that many programs are most useful for reasons OTHER than their intended purpose. Thinking "outside the box" can lead to innovation and clever workarounds. Though I do agree that software which are used for their intended purpose, work best for that specific purpose.

Specifically, I'm running an old game which requires sound and pixel shading - if there's something purpose built for that, I'd gladly use it instead of these virtualisation programs.

I did try one patch-type program, can't remember what it was now, but it was unsuccessful for my system/game combination. I also tried installing the program with compatibility to xp, which also failed. If virtualisation did not work, the next step would have been to attempt dual booting my win 8 machine with XP, though I likely would not have been able to find all the correct drivers. So lastly, I would have had to give up on my quest.

This way, I have learned a little about virtualisation programs, limitations of old software, limitations of new OS, and who knows when else this knowledge will become useful to me.

With that in mind, if you could kindly direct me to a program purpose-built for running old games that are designed solely for single-core processor machines, I'd be grateful.

Edit: I should clarify that I am using VMware Player (free), not VMware Workstation (commercial).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    SONY Vaio
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    16 Gb RAM
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Internet Speed
    dial up
Okay, so I'm guilty of unwarranted snarkiness, and for that I apologize.

However, my opinion is that many programs are most useful for reasons OTHER than their intended purpose. Thinking "outside the box" can lead to innovation and clever workarounds. Though I do agree that software which are used for their intended purpose, work best for that specific purpose.

With that in mind, if you could kindly direct me to a program purpose-built for running old games that are designed solely for single-core processor machines, I'd be grateful.

While I do agree with you that programs can be useful for purposes other than those for which they are intended, it's intellectually dishonest to then complain about a 'lack of functionality' with that application.

For your particular use case, VMware Player, VMware Workstation or VirtualBox would be the application of choice. It's great that Hyper-V 3.0 is free and can be used in Windows 8 Professional, but it's simply not a hypervisor designed for that purpose.

Would you mind to elaborate ?

Thank you for explaining their purposes so clearly.

Hyper-V, like VMware's ESXi hypervisor, was never intended to be a desktop virtualization solution. It still isn't. Hyper-V's primary purposes are server virtualization or workstation virtualization for terminal services (e.g. virtual desktop infrastructure). By including it on the client, Microsoft has made it possible to create and stage virtual servers on their workstations before migrating them to the data centre or to have a lab environment for QA or patch testing. It also works great for what it does, and is going to be quite the asset to those who work in an environment where they are only dealing with certain Linux servers or a Windows environment. If you need to virtualize a complete workstation on your own machine for workflow or some sort of productivity other than those I've mentioned, you're going to be sorely disappointed with Hyper-V - and this seems to be what a lot of the complaints in this and other threads about Hyper-V.

VMware Workstation, on the other hand (and as opposed to VMware ESXi) is designed not only to virtualize, but to completely replicate the desktop experience on the host machine. If you have to use your personal computer for work, but need a different environment in which to work, or if you need to evaluate an OS for deployment purposes, this is the product you want.

There's a reason why the two products have different feature sets, and saying that one is 'useless' because it doesn't provide the features of an entirely different product which has a different purpose is starting to get tiring.

(rant over)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Server 2012 Standard w/Hyper-V
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP ProBook 4430s
    CPU
    Intel Core i3-2310M
    Memory
    16GB DDR3
    Hard Drives
    80GB Intel 320 SSD
    500GB Samsung Momentus
I build a lab of Hyper-V servers to get hands on experiences on different Network scenario and also play with Fail over clusters. I start to use Vmware WS to build Clients ( Windows XP, Vista, 7 ) on a lab desktops so I can experiment domain stuff in relation to servers os in the hyper-v servers. But with time I realize that it can be done very well with Remote Desktop and the Client VM OS in the servers too. So I use now only 1 pc with Vware WS.

Now if someone take a network course and as space and budget limitation, Windows 8 and hyper-v is a great all in one solution.

I don't agree with the fact that Vmware WS is better for workflow, at least not in all case. Hyper-v is way more stable and have more power as it run on bare metal instead of inside the OS. When I was using more Vmware WS , I have to reboot the PC often to reset certain bug create by Vmware. ( mouse and menu behaviors on the Windows host mainly ) This is not and will not happen with hyper-v, as the childs ( VM) are running at the side of the parent ( host ) instead of in the host, so the child as no side effect on the parent . If you don't need extra that Vmware give like USB , 3d Acceleration. Hyper-V and Remote Desktop is a more stable solution. ( ESXi also, but I try to not extend the subject to much and it not include with Windows 8 )

this is a drawing of my setup of last year, I add few servers and workstation and a third ISP , All the servers are on AMD and allthe Workstation on Intel , with the exception of 1 , I need the same CPU manufacturer on the severs , so I can move the VM

lab1.jpg

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
Okay, so I'm guilty of unwarranted snarkiness, and for that I apologize.
Ditto.
While I do agree with you that programs can be useful for purposes other than those for which they are intended, it's intellectually dishonest to then complain about a 'lack of functionality' with that application.For your particular use case, VMware Player, VMware Workstation or VirtualBox would be the application of choice.
VMware is where I ended up - by myself. I didn't realise I was "complaining" - I thought I was troubleshooting. Being an amateur computer user (more than some, not as much as others) my experience with software is that it often needs a little tweaking, especially when a new OS comes out and I'm trying to use older software. I'm also not afraid of trying out new things that come my way. Hyper-V was included in my Win 8 upgrade, so I was curious. It resembled software I've used before (VMware player) so I began with that base-experience.I also have extensive experience with Microsoft products (started using computers when I was 6yo - I can't remember what we were using at home at that time but I do remember the "switch" to Windows 3.11) and their incompatibility to other Microsoft products. Often, Microsoft products are irritatingly incompatible with Microsoft products... so when Hyper-V didn't do what I initially wanted, I tried to 'make' it do what I wanted, and quickly failed and moved on to other virualisation programs.
Hyper-V, like VMware's ESXi hypervisor, was never intended to be a desktop virtualization solution. It still isn't. Hyper-V's primary purposes are server virtualization or workstation virtualization for terminal services (e.g. virtual desktop infrastructure). By including it on the client, Microsoft has made it possible to create and stage virtual servers on their workstations before migrating them to the data centre or to have a lab environment for QA or patch testing. It also works great for what it does, and is going to be quite the asset to those who work in an environment where they are only dealing with certain Linux servers or a Windows environment. If you need to virtualize a complete workstation on your own machine for workflow or some sort of productivity other than those I've mentioned, you're going to be sorely disappointed with Hyper-V - and this seems to be what a lot of the complaints in this and other threads about Hyper-V.
Not being a system admin / network person myself, you sorta lost me there LOL. But thanks for elaborating. I hope I demonstrated enough that I realised Hyper-V wasn't suitable for my purposes and actively searched for alternative solutions.
There's a reason why the two products have different feature sets, and saying that one is 'useless' because it doesn't provide the features of an entirely different product which has a different purpose is starting to get tiring.(rant over)
While I appreciate your frustration (I experience similar frustration in misunderstandings within my own expert field: molecular biology), you must understand that (a) real computer experts are a small proportion of the total adult population, so everyone who tries Hyper-V isn't going to understand the intricacies off-the-bat and (b) everyone else who isn't a computer expert is going to try out this new thing they've heard about called "Hyper-V" which is not only on their system but FREE!!!What I am trying to say is: everyone's starting knowledge is going to be different. People are going to try to apply what they already know to this new thing. Like myself, they might decide (albeit after spending a bit of time trying to 'tweak') it's not for their application. Other people might not realise there are alternatives and would begin then to 'complain'.Also I must point out that I never said Hyper-V (or any other program) was "useless" - though I realise I'm not the only person in this thread and you are probably generalising.At the same time, I agree with you that general education is a good thing. Your last post should probably be stickied to the Hyper-V/Virtualisation forum, so that people are more informed about Hyper-V and what it will/won't do BEFORE they decide to enable it and play with it - it's actually a pretty good summary and the extensive use of jargon might make lay people less likely to tackle it in the first place unless they truly understand the post.Sorry, my reply is way wordier than I originally intended. LOL.In any case, I can finally report that VMware player has turned out to be (almost) perfect for my needs. One last issue I have with it will probably need to go to a VMware forum, not here (need it to capture the mouse - many of my menu selections in the game have to be triple-clicked to register, though other XP apps work well).Live long a prosper! Thanks everyone for all the guidance to get me through my Hyper-V experience ;-)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    SONY Vaio
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    16 Gb RAM
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Internet Speed
    dial up
If you click inside this screen, your cursor will be captured and will then only function in the VM.
This is valid on Vista or earlier Windows versions due to the incompatibility of integration services. Seven and Eight guests do no longer capture the mouse, even at installation phase when no integration services are installed.

Same with latest Linux distros, all seem to allow seamless mouse movement without capturing. At least Open SUSE, Ubuntu and Linux Mint which I have tested work normally: click on vm to activate it, move pointer away from vm and use it normally on host.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Beats sound system with integrated subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" laptop display, 22" LED and 32" Full HD TV through HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900 (1), 1920*1080 (2&3)
    Hard Drives
    Internal: 2 x 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
    External: 2TB for backups, 3TB USB3 network drive for media
    Cooling
    As Envy runs a bit warm, I have it on a Cooler Master pad
    Keyboard
    Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser (bluetooth)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1000 Laser (Bluetooth)
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender 4.3.9431.0
    Other Info
    Windows in English, additional user accounts in Finnish, German and Swedish.
Hey all! I am fairly new to the whole virtualization thing and wanted to find out how things happen after you activate the virtual machine. Meaning, I have a laptop running Windows 8 and I want to run Windows 7 virtually. After that happens, how do I get an internet browser installed on the virtual machine?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Hey all! I am fairly new to the whole virtualization thing and wanted to find out how things happen after you activate the virtual machine. Meaning, I have a laptop running Windows 8 and I want to run Windows 7 virtually. After that happens, how do I get an internet browser installed on the virtual machine?
When you install Windows or any other OS on a virtual machine, it is exactly the same as if you had installed it on a real physical computer. In Windows' case it means that IE is already installed and you can just go to Internet with it and download other browsers as if you would do on a real computer.

Kari

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Hello Duane,

When Hyper-V Platform is grayed out, it means that you do not have a 64- bit processor (CPU) that supports Second Level Address Translation (SLAT). You basically do not meet minimum requirements. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Very Nice Tutorial Dwarf. Now My Windows 8 can running Windows 7 in VM.

It's because my software can only running on Win7. Thank you very much

The only Problem is about Hypervisor is not running. But with little setting on my BIOS. The problem is solved.

I'm just turn on the Virtual Machine setting on my BIOS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 & 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Compaq CQ3623L
    CPU
    Intel I3
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTS 450
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Compaq W185q
    Screen Resolution
    1366*768
    Keyboard
    Logitech K200
    Mouse
    Compaq
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Win Defender
Love all of the screen shots that are used in this forum.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion p- 2108p
    CPU
    AMD E2-3200 Llano 32nm Technology
    Motherboard
    PEGATRON CORPORATION 2ACF (P0)
    Memory
    6.00GB DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD6370D Graphics
    Browser
    Internet Explorer Version 10.0.9200.16599
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender & Malwarebytes
Hyper-V in Windows 8.1. Pro Preview

Good news for Hyper-V enthusiasts, Hyper-V Version 6.3.9431.0 included in Windows 8.1 Pro Preview
allows installing Windows 8 (x64 only) and Windows Server 2012 virtual machines using UEFI, which in its turn allows for instance Secure Boot or PXE boot.

Simply select 2nd Generation for your W8 or W2012 virtual machine, other than that it's straight forward installation as described in this tutorial.

2013-07-01_125702.png

Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter Preview running on an UEFI virtual machine:

2013-07-01_125736.png

Kari

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Hyper-V Research

Hello Everyone,
I have followed this thread from the beginning, trying to avoid as many problems as possible. I also have a grayed Hyper-V check-box, the exception being, I am running a 64 bit system with AMD dual-core processors. Please advise.

HyperV.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion p- 2108p
    CPU
    AMD E2-3200 Llano 32nm Technology
    Motherboard
    PEGATRON CORPORATION 2ACF (P0)
    Memory
    6.00GB DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD6370D Graphics
    Browser
    Internet Explorer Version 10.0.9200.16599
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender & Malwarebytes
Hi VegasFlash, welcome to the Eight Forums.

First and most important, the PC must meet the minimum requirements to run Hyper-V:
- A 64 bit system on host
- CPU support for SLAT
- 4 GB RAM minimum on host

Although I do not know your CPU, I checked the net and as far as I know it should support SLAT. Also as you have 6 GB RAM and a 64 bit system, what remains is to check that virtualization is enabled in machine BIOS.

Anyway, you should see the reason why it is grayed out in a balloon tip by hovering the mouse pointer over the Hyper-V selection. If enabled the balloon tip tells general information about Hyper-V, when disabled the tip should tell the reason why it cannot be enabled:

2013-07-06_135425.png

Check what the balloon tip says for you, post the reason here.

Kari

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
How to Create a Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 8 and 8.1

information   Information
The Hyper-V technology provides an environment that you can use to create and manage virtual machines and their resources. Each virtual machine is an isolated, virtualized computer system that is capable of running its own operating system. This allows you to run multiple operating systems at the same time on the same physical computer.

This tutorial will show you how to use the built-in Hyper Virtualisation (Hyper-V) in Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 Enterprise to install and run a guest OS.

Note   Note
You will need to enable the Hyper-V components as detailed under Preparation first before proceeding. Note that not all systems will support this, so if yours doesn't, you won't be able to go any further. Sorry.

To create a Hyper-V client, you must have a 64-bit version of Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 Enterprise with a 64-bit CPU that supports SLAT (Second Level Address Translation). You’ll also need at least 4GB of RAM. Hyper-V does support creation of both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems in the VMs.

For more info, see also: Bringing Hyper-V to "Windows 8"

Preparation:

The first thing we need to do is to enable the Hyper-V components. To do this, we need to turn them on.

Open Windows Features. Provide Administrative credentials if prompted by UAC.

Expand the Hyper-V sub-section and ensure that all options are checked (ticked) as shown below. Click on OK and restart your computer to apply changes.

View attachment 9410

If all options remain checked after a reboot, and you haven't received any error messages, then you are good to go. Continue with the next section, Here's How:. If not, then I'm sorry but your system doesn't support this feature.

Here's How:

If you have successfully carried out the Preparation, you will notice a couple of new icons on the Metro Start Page. These are Hyper-V Manager and Hyper-V Virtual Machine...

1. In order to install a guest OS (and I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 x86 for this Tutorial), we need to run the Hyper-V Manager, so click on its icon. to bring up the following screen:

2. In order to allow the guest OS to have network access, we need to make a configuration change. Under the Actions panel, click Virtual Switch Manager... from above.

3. We need to create an External type switch, so ensure that this option is highlighted as shown and then click Create virtual switch.

4. Ensure that the options are set as shown below (note that the actual name of the adapter will depend on your hardware) and then click OK.

5. Take note of the above warning, and click Yes to complete the operation. You will then be returned to the Hyper-V Manager.

6. Under the Actions panel, click New and then Virtual Machine... to bring up the following screen:

7. To move through the screens of the Wizard, click Next and to review settings, click Previous. Click Next to continue.

Here, I have given a suitable name for my guest OS (the Virtual Machine). You can choose a location to save this VM to, but here I have left it as the default. Click Next to continue.

8. I have assigned 1024MB of RAM for this VM (this figure will depend on the amount of RAM you have installed), and I have also checked the option Enable Hyper-V to manage the memory amount dynamically for this VM. Click Next to continue.

9. In the Connection: dropbox, select the adapter you created earlier. Click on Next to continue.

10. The only option that you should need to change here is the Size: of the virtual hard disk. I have changed mine to 32GB. Click Next to continue.

11. Here, I have specified the source .iso file that will be used for the installation. Click Next to continue.

12. This screen is just a summary of the previous ones. If you want to make any changes before committing yourself, you can do so by using Previous and Next to move through the other screens. When you are satisfied, click on Finish to continue. The Virtual Hard Disk will now be created, and you will then see the following screen.

13. Under the Actions panel, click Start to run the VM. Note that there might be a slight delay the first time it is run. Click on Connect... to bring up the main screen. Alternatively, double-click the image to expand the main screen.

14. If you click inside this screen, your cursor will be captured and will then only function in the VM. Install the OS just as you would normally. Note that installation will be slower under a VM compared to a native (normal) install.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8,1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    User Built
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5
    Motherboard
    ASUS Crosshair VI
    Memory
    16 Gb DDR4 24 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG
Hi, I'm running win 8.1 Pro trying to install Hyper-V. So far all seems well other than I'm still not certain about a couple of things.

When I setup Hyper-V on this pc with a win 8,1 op system, this will become the virtual computer and the new drive I just installed will be the guest with win XP Pro SP3, am I right or do I have it all backwards?

I still need to install XP to the new HD. This will install to the new HD leaving my win 8 files intact on C: right? Will the XP install Know which drive to install to to write to or does the iso file go to drive 0 in a non destructive way?

Thanks,

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8,1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    User Built
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5
    Motherboard