Solved Hyper V and VMWare on the same machine

This actually is NOT a violation of the EULA -- it's Windows on te SAME machine -- you can install Windows as many times as you like on the SAME machine -- you can't RUN more than one concurrently of course.
It actually IS a violation of the EULA. Please do not shoot the messenger, I don't want to be a killjoy, just telling that Windows EULA is quite clear:

How can I use the software?

We do not sell our software or your copy of it – we only license it. Under our license, we grant you the right to install and run that one copy on one computer (the licensed computer), for use by one person at a time, but only if you comply with all the terms of this agreement. Typically, this means you can install one copy of the software on a personal computer and then you can use the software on that computer. The software is not licensed to be used as server software or for commercial hosting - so you may not make the software available for simultaneous use by multiple users over a network. For more information on multiple user scenarios and virtualization, see the Additional Terms.
(Extract from http://download.microsoft.com/Docum...lish_ca383862-45cf-467e-97d3-386e0e0260a6.pdf)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Beats sound system with integrated subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" laptop display, 22" LED and 32" Full HD TV through HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900 (1), 1920*1080 (2&3)
    Hard Drives
    Internal: 2 x 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
    External: 2TB for backups, 3TB USB3 network drive for media
    Cooling
    As Envy runs a bit warm, I have it on a Cooler Master pad
    Keyboard
    Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser (bluetooth)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1000 Laser (Bluetooth)
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender 4.3.9431.0
    Other Info
    Windows in English, additional user accounts in Finnish, German and Swedish.
Thanks Kari, that was my feeling and I am going to use the boot menu selection as suggested by Adam. Now once I get around to it I'll have to create some Hyper V machines and download a few too.:D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 64 Bit and VM
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built (Saberkitty)
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350 Vishera 32nm Technology @ 4.1 GHz default
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 (Socket 942)
    Memory
    G Skill F3-2400-8GZM
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Super SC ACX 2.0+ with Back Plate GDDR5 128bit, PCI-E 3.0
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium HD Audiophile PCIe
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG L227WTG x 3
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    238GB TOSHIBA THNSNJ256GCST SATA Disk Device (SSD)
    1863GB Seagate ST2000DM 001-1CH164 (SATA)
    1397GB Seagate ST1500DL 003-9VT16L(SATA)
    466GB Western Digital WDC WD50 03AZEX-00K1GA0 (SATA) x 2
    932GB Seagate ST310005 28AS SATA Disk Device (SATA)
    PSU
    Enermax Revolution87+ 1000 Watts Gold Certified Power Supply
    Case
    Rocketfish Full Tower
    Cooling
    Cooler Master 212 with push pull fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech K740
    Mouse
    Logitech Laser
    Internet Speed
    Fibre Cable 100 down 30 up.
    Browser
    IE 10 Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast, MSE and common sense
    Other Info
    3 x LG L227WTG @ 1680 x 1050 16:10 monitors.
    Using Mouse Without Borders (Google it)
You know how it goes, just want to CoverMyA as they say. Don't want my key blocked for miss use.

Hi there.

I've never had a key blocked for running Windows like this -- you also won't even have to activate more than the original time - you are running on the SAME machine with IDENTICAL hardware.

As I said -- is it illegal to SWAP HDD's and run windows -- absolutely not --if it were I don't know how many people would be running Windows illegally --what about all those swapping HDD's for SSD's. !!

If you really want to be 100% CERTAIN then run Windows ONLY from an HDD (or better) connected via an external e_sata port - simply switch to the HDD/SSD you want to run from at boot time and wipe any Windows 8.1 installations off your purely INTERNAL HDD's.

If I'm fitting a new SSD / HDD to a computer I certainly want to see if it works before deleting the OLD installation - so there's nothing "irregular" about booting up the SAME windows from another HDD to see if it works and if it doesn't re-boot again from the old HDD until you've sorted the problem out.

Running multiple concurrent copies on Virtual machines DOES count as DIFFERENT MACHINES - you need a license for each concurrent instance of windows you boot up. However it's perfectly legal to have several DIFFERENT VM configurations under a SINGLE license so long as only ONE of these is ever running at one time. (If the virtual hardware is very different then you will have to re-activate again - however minor changes in VM configurations don't usually require a re-activation of Windows).

If you have access to a University / college or Work program you might be able to get a Multiple activation version of Windows - that should ease any lingering doubts as you could then run as many as the multiple activation system allows -- probably somewhere between 100 and 1000 copies. !!!! Should be enough even for the most avid tester,

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
No Jimbo, I can't get accesses to cheap / free software any more. When I was working we could enter contest and complete Windows tests to get to buy Ultimate 7 for $15 and even win Office 2007 (I did) and also get discounts on Technet but now I am disabled due to heart issues I am no longer working so what I have got I need to keep.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 64 Bit and VM
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built (Saberkitty)
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350 Vishera 32nm Technology @ 4.1 GHz default
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 (Socket 942)
    Memory
    G Skill F3-2400-8GZM
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Super SC ACX 2.0+ with Back Plate GDDR5 128bit, PCI-E 3.0
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium HD Audiophile PCIe
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG L227WTG x 3
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    238GB TOSHIBA THNSNJ256GCST SATA Disk Device (SSD)
    1863GB Seagate ST2000DM 001-1CH164 (SATA)
    1397GB Seagate ST1500DL 003-9VT16L(SATA)
    466GB Western Digital WDC WD50 03AZEX-00K1GA0 (SATA) x 2
    932GB Seagate ST310005 28AS SATA Disk Device (SATA)
    PSU
    Enermax Revolution87+ 1000 Watts Gold Certified Power Supply
    Case
    Rocketfish Full Tower
    Cooling
    Cooler Master 212 with push pull fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech K740
    Mouse
    Logitech Laser
    Internet Speed
    Fibre Cable 100 down 30 up.
    Browser
    IE 10 Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast, MSE and common sense
    Other Info
    3 x LG L227WTG @ 1680 x 1050 16:10 monitors.
    Using Mouse Without Borders (Google it)
... if Hyper V is installed then VirtualBox or VMWare will not work. You get a message VT-x is not available (as Hyper-V is using it)...

See the screenshot below, installing Windows 7 Pro Finnish in a VirtualBox vm, at the same time Windows 7 Pro English running on Hyper-V:

VirtualBox and Hyper-V have no issues running on the same machine, not even when run simultaneously.

Kari

Kari

How did you do this? Is it possible to do so on Win 8.1 / Server 2012 R2? If so in what order/ sequence as my Hyper V role is installed so VMWare Setup wont install. Thoughts?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7x64 Ult + Win 8.1 Pro
Right, it is possible to run other VMs while Hyper-V is active. But all in software only. There will be no hardware acceleration for the other guests. Which is required to run 64-bit guests. VMware Workstation will tell you about this when you try.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows XP, 7, 8
Right, it is possible to run other VMs while Hyper-V is active. But all in software only. There will be no hardware acceleration for the other guests. Which is required to run 64-bit guests. VMware Workstation will tell you about this when you try.

Exactly.

VirtualBox can be used alongside Hyper-V, but only for 32 bit guests. To use VMware (or VirtualBox for 64 bit guests) and Hyper-V on same machine, you need to do as told in this thread, to create a boot entry for both Hypervisor off and on. Detailed instructions: Creating a "no hypervisor" boot entry | Ben Armstrong’s Virtualization Blog

In screenshot below my Windows 10 boot menu. I can select if I want to boot with Hypervisor ON and use Hyper-V, or Hypervisor OFF and use VMware:

2017-01-05_21h01_48.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Beats sound system with integrated subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" laptop display, 22" LED and 32" Full HD TV through HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900 (1), 1920*1080 (2&3)
    Hard Drives
    Internal: 2 x 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
    External: 2TB for backups, 3TB USB3 network drive for media
    Cooling
    As Envy runs a bit warm, I have it on a Cooler Master pad
    Keyboard
    Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser (bluetooth)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1000 Laser (Bluetooth)
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender 4.3.9431.0
    Other Info
    Windows in English, additional user accounts in Finnish, German and Swedish.
Back