Huge icon at pointer during drag and drop (Explorer)

Philip Goddard wrote:
and it turns out that FC actually has a setting
Hello, seemingly you are using FC XE (the preview release)?. Am using the latest normal release, and never got any large icon when moving files. Testing XE, I only get a very small symbol when moving (am waiting for a final release before using xe as my main manager).

Explorer++ is surely useable as a manager, got many nice features, for example folder size option (but here, after years (10 years now?) with FC and it's quite endless possibilities, I haven't found anything (yet) that could replace it. And it's free (but well worth my regular donations!).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1, W7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP \ Toshiba \ Lenovo \ Dell E7440
    Browser
    FF
Thank you, 4wd. Actually, please see my last post, which I edited without realizing that there had been another post, hidden on a new page in this thread! :) I'm certainly not abandoning FC XE, even though there are occasions when I have to use Explorer (rare, now that I can at last drag and drop to and from FC).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Nofan (Nofen) IcePipe A40-Z68
    CPU
    Intel Core i3 2125, nominal 3.30GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
    Sound Card
    Onboard sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ GW2760S
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Crucial 512MB and 1Tb SSD
    Cooling
    Fanless, heat pipe technology
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural
    Mouse
    Cirque Smart Cat Glidepoint touchpad
    Internet Speed
    Commonly 39Mbps down, 19.5Mbps up (Plusnet fibre optic)
    Browser
    Pale Moon, sometimes Chrome or IE
    Antivirus
    Comodo Antivirus (free) (HIPS disabled)
    Other Info
    A completely silent PC, with no fans.

Other security software:
    Windows Firewall Control
    GlassWire Free
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home (Premium)
    HitmanPro Alert
    Spyshelter Premium
    WinPatrol
    AnVir Task Manager
Nice you got (most of) the problem solved. About moving from\to w explorer, I think I've never done that, am always using FC in 'twin mode', usually looking at the pc's main disk(s) disk on the left pane, and other disk\usb\ftp etc on the right. Anyway, looking forward to the final version of FC XE, seems to be great.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1, W7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP \ Toshiba \ Lenovo \ Dell E7440
    Browser
    FF
#unless it would be a complete replacement for Windows Explorer. In my experience so far, Windows Explorer is sometimes needed in addition to one's regular third-party file manager"
Well, fwiw, it has the option to make it a complete replacement. I have it in my Windows 7 installation and, to date, have not found any missing items from the file manager which comes with the OS. But, if you have a third party one which fills the requirement, no need to mess with another.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.
Eureka! - Well, actually half a "Eureka!" No, I haven't progressed with regard to what happens in Windows Explorer, BUT I have solved it in FreeCommander. Belatedly I perused the FreeCommander Forum, in the Beta Discussion, and found a thread relating to this very issue (i.e. with regard to FreeCommander and not Windows Explorer), and it turns out that FC actually has a setting that gets rid of that horrible thumbnail icon. The setting is in the big Settings menu > File / folder operations > Drag&Drop tab > Use blocking transfer. Disable that option and the big drag icon is gone from FC.

[DEL]I thought I had posted that earlier, thats how I set it in mine. Glad you found it-[/DEL]

Wait - No I didn't, those settings are not there in mine - You are using a Beta version?

I can't download that, I'm not a donor.

The Setting I used in the regular version was in "Folder tabs - Under Windows COlours "Show Icon" I have that shut off.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
For the record, Philip's issue also happens in Server 2012, and it is highly annoying. Sadly, Server 2012 is running a sort of locked-down Aero/DWM where we can't easily (if at all) tweak any visual settings - not even something simple like system foreground/background/ActiveWindowTitle/etc colors, so if a "fix" ever comes to light, hopefully it will be a simple registry hack. AFAIK, there's no transparency in Server 2012 (at least not when it's running on ESXi 5), so I always ALWAYS get that stupid opaque drag icon.
2012dragicon.jpg
I am very surprised that MS didn't include a way to turn off this behavior, as it is rather distracting.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    All of them
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Natch, server OS's are not made to be pretty, just to make other puters pretty cos the servers they are hooked into are blazing fast.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Natch, server OS's are not made to be pretty, just to make other puters pretty cos the servers they are hooked into are blazing fast.

Hey, you're preaching to the choir. I'm in the late stages of migrating my company from Novell (Netware and OES) to Windows Server, so I've spent the past 14 years using servers with essentially no (useful) GUI. Thank God for toolbox.nlm...

I spent about an hour yesterday googling and trawling through the registry looking for settings that might have to do with drag-icon size, but no luck. At least nothing obvious with the word "drag" in it's name/value, and nothing jumped out at me from the various "explorer" and "controlpanel" entries. I'm starting to wonder if the size (48 pixels, I think) is hardcoded into explorer/explorerframe/dwm/whatever. My skills at disassembly/debugging are rusty (and my tools are from the Windows 9x/VB6 era), and the Aero stuff is a bit complicated and inter-dependent, so I don't know how far I could go down that path with a hex editor. Probably not very far at all. I can't be positive, but that sure looks like a brick wall up ahead. :)

Maybe Microsoft will leak a fix at some point.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    All of them
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I had the same problem. I had recently installed Bluestacks, and removed it and the issue was gone.
Maybe this is of help to someone!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back