HP Switchable Graphics under Windows 8.1 Pro RTM !!!

phrozen ghost

HP Switchable Graphics under Windows 8.1 Pro RTM YES!

Greetings,

I have been following the thread and so forth on the switchable graphics and anything to do with windows 8 for the longest time. I got one of those laptops where HP claims it doesnt support windows 8 and so forth. HP Envy 14 1211nr with beats audio. AMD 5650 1gb & Intel HD Video (FG) (First Generation). Before the previews and all that I actually got it to work under Leshcat and I have tried all the other methods but I found this a buggy approach for me and tried many times just wasnt satisified. So i put my project on hold and all hope to me was lost with Win 8 on this laptop. At times I was deciding to sell this laptop on CL. Hence it is a great gaming laptop under Windows 7.

Then Windows 8.1 Preview came out.... I said ok lets go back and try this again.... No luck.... Same results... And then I was all doom and gloom once again.

RTM became avail on MSDN. So I downloaded it and Installed it on my desktop impressed...

And So just yesterday I installed it in the HP laptop. Clean install of course.

Well no conflicts and this is working. Using the WDM Drivers provided by microsoft. I think which is version 13.1

So is it using the AMD driver with no cautions. Does it show the Intel driver with no cautions and so forth. Yes and Yes and Yes.

My only gripe is they dont in include the Catalyst Control Panel in the WDM version no more... So I gotta find which one would be compatible with this. I am open for suggestions..

So after I got this installed I decided to try the switchable graphics. I know I dont have any red x's or caution I think it still using the AMD and doesnt switch over I need to run some tests on this and I will let you all know.

But the end result if you want a stable WDM driver that works... Windows 8.1 RTM is your answer.

I ran passmark tests and the preformance was not impacted if anything getting better scores with Windows 8.1 RTM than Windows 7 tbh.

TBH, I dont care bout the switchable graphics part. I do but i am not really mobile that much. So having mine on the AMD is just fine. Tho like I said i will test this out more. i figure if i can get a hold of a CCC that will work with the WDM in 8.1 from M$ I think it might actualy switch. Maybe it did switch I was kinda tired but i gotta test.

So for all you who lost hope and are in the same boat as me. No worries.

PG

Edit one thing Also I wouild like to add too is I did goto the notebook review site and there is a link for the AMD 12.9 for my modem I think that is the right version. And I did install the catalyst which picked up everything. Was massively scrambled under metro at first but after a reboot this was fixed But it didnt switch over since those drivers are not really the switchable and its the AMD straight driver. But I well tell you this it did work... But I did remove it because I got better benchmark results with the AMD than the driver that is up there intended for windows 8.

Also I would like to add that I think this can be solved. As I mentioned I have a 1st generation Intel HD card with the AMD inside this laptop... All the drivers I seen are for SG (Second Generation and 3rd) for Windows 8 x64... So I would like to try and find a HP SP####.exe AMD / Intel switchable graphics driver package for Wn 8 x64 for the 1st geenration Intel HD with AMD. I have a feeling this would work. If anyone knows of any out there please let me know.... I dont mean a Win7 driver either but a true Windows 8 Intel / AMD (1st generation intel hd). I am going to do some more research into this and perhaps there is one from Dell, Sony, Acer or Lenovo who might have a driver package I am looking for.

EDIT:

More info

What's new for Windows 8.1 Preview display drivers (WDDM 1.3)

What's new for Windows 8.1 Preview display drivers (WDDM 1.3) (Windows Drivers)

Which means this is based off the 13.9 version the WDDM is version 1.3.

So today when I go home I will test this and let you all know if I can get the CCC installed with this.

EDIT:

So I am thinking Ok install 8.1 Pro RTM x64. Use the WDDM 1.3 which Windows Updates picks up. Which causes no conflicts or error codes with both intel / amd. And then proceed with this.

Mobility Direct download link (applies to both 32-bit and 64-bit)
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd...ility_beta.exe
[HD 8000M, HD 7000M, HD 6000M and HD 5000M supported]

Which is the 13.10 AMD beta. Based off WDDM 1.3. I am hoping that I can get the CCC Installed so i can get the option to switch the graphics on demand by removing the power adapter like it did under windows 7.

Acording to the WDDM 1.3 and the 13.9 and 13.10 driver for 8.1 the hybrid graphics is supported.

I also need to test out the brightness control which I forgot to last night.

Stand by people later on this afternoon I will be posting my results on trying to get the CCC installed with the WDDM 1.3 from M$ stock.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 pro x64
Ok So here is my results....

Does brightness control work?
No. But it does work under intel when switched over to it. Which is normal.

Is there any error codes on the drivers?
No.

Does the switchable graphics feature work?
Yes and No. If you do the automatic switching it will switch for you but trying to get it back into the other mode, you would have to force a hard reboot to get it back. However a temp work around is to switch to the intel gpu, manually which it will and to switch back plug in the charger and reboot.

So I wouldn't consider this fully work yet. However we are getting close.... No errors in the wdm drivers and the 13.10 drivers at all! This is good news previously would get error codes on the drivers in 8 and 8.1 preview.

Games do work just fine. As I said earlier big performance difference compared to 7. I think we might see a fix for the hybrid graphics in the future tho.

I did manage to install the Catalyst Control Panel from the 13.10 beta and all the nice video features and other features worked. App profiles, LCD Over Drive, Color Profiles, Gfx adjustments such as a AMD Optimization, and everything.

Even tho its not fully fixed I am quite happy that there is no caution, error code 48s on the intel or amd driver and games and everything else works jut fine.

Below is the information from the CCC v13.10

Software:
Driver Packaging Version 13.152.1.1-130910a-162613E-ATI
Provider Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1331
2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0000
Direct3D Version 9.14.10.0984
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.12422
AMD Catalyst Control Center Version 2013.0905.312.3832

Hardware:

Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by AMD
Graphics Chipset AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series
Device ID 68C1
Vendor ID 1002
Subsystem ID 1436
Subsystem Vendor ID 103C
Graphics Bus Capability PCI Express
Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express x16
BIOS Version 012.018.000.009
BIOS Part Number BR039990.001
BIOS Date 2011/02/17
Memory Size 1024 MB
Memory Type DDR3
Core Clock in MHz 450 MHz
Memory Clock in MHz 800 MHz
Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s 25.6 GByte/s

I didn't install the 13.10 drivers on my working profile I just used the M$ WDDM Driver 1.3 which is picked up by windows update now along with the CCC v13.10

I did run a second test on a bare install with 13.10 full package with no previous remains of amd before install and I didn't run any benchmark but the same info above however no option for switchable graphics like they claim in the beta.
But if you install the WDDM 1.3 from windows update and the CCC 13.10 you will see it.

The CCC has been taken out of the WDDM.

So this is good news for some of us hp legacy users (1st gen) with AMD video. At least its somewhat useable and error free in the device manager. For some of us that don't want to mess with leshcat. But I am sure it will come in handy. I wish hp would just release bios updates and support win8 in the older envy series but oh well this is fine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 pro x64
I'm in the same boat with a hp envy 14 1xxx. Had switchable graphics working in windows 8 but it broke in windows 8.1. Now I don't remember how I did it in windows 8.
Have tried many things already. 12.10, 12.11 beta. No CCC has worked till now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Window 8.1
PHP:
I'm in the same boat with a hp envy 14 1xxx. Had switchable graphics working in windows 8 but it broke in windows 8.1. Now I don't remember how I did it in windows 8.
Have tried many things already. 12.10, 12.11 beta. No CCC has worked till now.

Just use 8.1 should have no errors. it doesn't use the ccc in wddm 1.3 but I did benchmark and its optimized with the ms wddm drivers. I mean wont be switchable meaning goto intel and back but it will work. if u can deal with the amd chip being on all the time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 pro x64
Please I need help, I just upgraded to windows 8.1 (my laptop is a hp dv6 with switchable graphics intel 1st gen + ati radeon 5470 hd) but I am not able to find any working graphic driver, the softpaq 50640 crashes!! I tried to install ati 13.11 but I had to restore because I got a blue-screen.
I'd like to underline that the driver that windows update finds is WDDM 1.2
Does anyone has the same graphic card and windows 8.1?
thanks a lot
berlen

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    i5 430m
    Graphics Card(s)
    Ati radeon hd 5470 - intel hd graphics 3000
Just use 8.1 should have no errors. it doesn't use the ccc in wddm 1.3 but I did benchmark and its optimized with the ms wddm drivers. I mean wont be switchable meaning goto intel and back but it will work. if u can deal with the amd chip being on all the time.
I know, just find it frustrating that I got switchable graphics to work in 8 but not in 8.1. I like to have intell sometimes for better battery and brightness control.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Window 8.1
I know, just find it frustrating that I got switchable graphics to work in 8 but not in 8.1. I like to have intell sometimes for better battery and brightness control.

yea its a hp thing. never again

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 pro x64
To Update or Not To Update...?

HP Pavilion dv6t – 6100 CTO series Notebook PC LM328AV#ABA
Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center © 2013 Microsoft Corporation All right reserved
Version: 6.3.9600 Build 9600.16408
Bios Version/Date: Hewlett-Packard F.1B, 10/5/2011
Bios Mode: Legacy

Processor: Intel® Core(TM) I7-2720QM CPU © 2.20GHz
Installed memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
System type: 64-bir Operating System, x64-based processor

AMD Radeon HD 6490M Series, running AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series
Driver Version: from (9.0.0.) to 9.12.8.0) 2/11/2013
Intel® HD Graphics 3000
Driver Version: (9.17.10.3347) 10/31/2013

Catalyst Control Center v2012.0815.2143.37180 (Not Working)

Intel® WiDi Version: 4.3.3.0

amd_ccc.JPG

Intel WiDi.JPG

My current system’s configuration works flawlessly with older versions of both the HP provided AMD & Intel Driver Package sets such as, AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver_sp59147 or AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver_sp59850. The above mentioned HP provided driver packages each work great on my system under both a Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 (OS) Operating System environment.

However, I recently decided to update my Intel Wireless Display (WiDi) driver in order to make it compatible with the new Netgear Push2TV 3000 adapter I recently purchased. I had been using an older model of the Netgear adapter while using WiDi. But I could not update my graphics driver or even wireless network drivers beyond that point to ensure my WiDi would continuing working.
Any real gaming on this system was never really a consideration for me from the time I purchased this system. However, I would like to take full advantage of every feature it had at the time I purchased it, regardless of whether I update the OS. I can neither use WiDi nor even play a simply Angry Birds Rio game right now. The Intel graphics is the only one of the two GPU’s available to me right now with the Microsoft Update’s more current Graphics driver versions installed. The AMD Catalyst Control Center is installed, but not working. It has no way of controlling the two currently installed graphics drive in order for them to work in tandem as they should. As you know, HP never intended for my particular Laptop to be support beyond Windows 7, so I’m limited as to what I can do.

I’ve tried many different system configurations using mostly HP drivers for similarly configured systems to mine that were pre-configured to run Windows 8. The problem is, I’m now running Windows 8.1 and Intel continually releases new update for their WiDi feature in seemingly rapid succession. Each new release seems to require the latest Graphics drivers to be installed.

I ‘m cool with not having switchable graphics enable on my system, but I would like to be able to enable it when I need it.

Is there anyone out there who has managed to find an HP AMD graphics driver package that contains the latest Intel graphics driver v.16? I’d be willing to even try a Leschcat solution, but not at the expense of my 8.5 hour battery life (both the 6 and 9 cell) or the cool sense thermal and noise control. A clean install also isn’t an option for me. It is way too much work trying to find the most current and correct drivers for everything.

Can anyone help me find a reasonable solution?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center © 2013 Version: 6.3.9600 Build 9600.16408
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6t – 6100 CTO series Notebook PC LM328AV#ABA
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) I7-2720QM @ 2.20 GHz
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB