Solved How's everyones Windows 8 experience going?

Can we please avoid having every thread taken over by ranting about the same things?

Please post in an existing rant thread, or start a new one.

Kinda have to agree here. What we need is an all in one rant thread where everyone can just post their rants about the OS.

I wouldn't participate since Windows 8 is awesome for me.

Hey not a problem
As I stated I was only asking, willing to share if things might be helpful for others.
Wrong thread then no problem, my apologies and I shall search elsewhere for open discussion.
Be well everyone and thank ya for the responses..
Harlan

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS CM6780
    CPU
    pentium
    Motherboard
    asus
    Memory
    16G
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 630
Don't like the "Modern" UI cause I don't have a touch screen, so I boot directly to the Desktop and use that. Looks and behaves much like Win7 in that mode -- which is OK, for me.

Am running both Win7 and Win8 on the same SSD, and have seen NO improvement in performance (or boot times) of Win8 over Win7 -- so, maybe the performance gain applies to HDD systems.

Only paid $40 for it, and at that price (for the Pro version), it's worth using it just to get the experience and gain some familiarity with it.

Definitely don't like the removal of Aero from the UI as I liked the look of it in Win7 -- but, MS is NOT going to bring that back, so I have to just get used to it.

Main activities at present center around which Start Menu replacement to use -- as I like the menu approach.

I guess, if I was using a touch screen tablet, or a Surface, I would be "wowed" by Win8 -- but I'm not.

My Computer

Can we please avoid having every thread taken over by ranting about the same things?

Please post in an existing rant thread, or start a new one.

Kinda have to agree here. What we need is an all in one rant thread where everyone can just post their rants about the OS.

I wouldn't participate since Windows 8 is awesome for me.

??!?!?

You were the one that asked how everyone's windows experience was going so what did you expect? Did you only want to hear from people that were "loving it"? This thread started out as a pure opinion subject, of course your going to get both sides. :/

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
??!?!?

You were the one that asked how everyone's windows experience was going so what did you expect? Did you only want to hear from people that were "loving it"? This thread started out as a pure opinion subject, of course your going to get both sides. :/

/cough

True, but one should not hijack threads just to rant and not give any details as to why. Ranting for the sake of ranting should be considered spam, especially when trying to hijack threads such as this one.

Not having a good Windows 8 experience? That's fine, tell us why in a respectful civil manner and maybe the W8F community can help make it better.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
Asking how someone's Windows 8 experience is going is asking for the subjective, personal, emotional impact it has on them. It is not asking for a logical analysis of why it impacts that way. So a person is not ranting or raving, but simply expressing their feelings in terms ranging from mild to strong language.

If I ask someone how chocolate impacts on them, they could say anything from "Yuk" to "Bliss". They don't have to give a chemical analysis of the consituents of chocolate and how they chemically react with their taste buds and how the nerves convey the taste sensations to the brain.

Of if I asked someone what their experience was of a roller coaster ride, their response could range from "wild", "terrifyiing", "adrenalin rush" "never again", "lets go again". You wouldn't expect them to cite various laws of physics and gravity to show the centrifugal, centripetal forces in play, and why the sheer stress factor was beyong the safety limits of the holding bolts ... unless they were a public health inspector.

In short they tell how the experience impacted on them ... in their words, not yours!

These are dictionary definitions:

Experience: 1) The totality of a person's perceptions, feelings, and memories. 2) To be emotionally or aesthetically moved by; feel.

Rant: 1) Violent or extravagant speech or writing. 2) To utter or express with violence or extravagance

Saying something seems dumb to the beholder is neither violent nor extravagant. It's just how they see it.

Calling someone a raver or ranter publically is inciteful to violence because it is insulting. So lets ban the people who accuse others of ranting.

Rave: 1) To speak wildly, irrationally, or incoherently. 2) To speak or write with wild enthusiasm.

On the basis of the second parameter we'd have to ban Cokey, who is the bastion of the Win8 forum. Perish the thought. Love him or hate him, his enthusiasm is infectious.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
warning   Warning
Let's keep this a friendly on topic discussion shall we.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Must be something in the air today Brink,...and it isn't Christmas cheer... :think:

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    17074 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP dv7 3173nr
    CPU
    M520
    Memory
    5GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Internet Speed
    120Mb/s
  • PC2
    HP A12 R7 17074
some do find certain elements very frustrating.

i'm no exception to that either...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
I like it.
Chrome doesn't work well with Windows 8, but Firefox does.
Metro is sweet.
I do think that everything should be Metro or everything should be Aero. Right now it feels like having two OSes in one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    ASUS
    CPU
    Intel i5 Third Generation
    Memory
    4 GB RAM
At first I didn't like, but it grew on me enough that I purchased an upgrade for my gaming PC. What I like.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8 | Win8 Pro
    Acer Aspire E1-571 | PC
    CPU
    Core i3 3110 | Celeron e3400 @ 3.3GHz
    Motherboard
    Acer | Asus P5G41-M LX Plus
    Memory
    4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 | Radeon 6870
    Sound Card
    SB Live 24-bit External
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" | 22" + 20"
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768 | 1080p
    Hard Drives
    120GB SSD | 750GB Hybrid
    PSU
    OCZ 500W
    Case
    Gigabyte
    Cooling
    Stock
    Keyboard
    Kensington
    Mouse
    MS 5000
    Internet Speed
    Comcast 20Mbs+
    Other Info
    Laptop | PC - Extreme bang for the buck :)
I like it.
Chrome doesn't work well with Windows 8, but Firefox does.
Metro is sweet.
I do think that everything should be Metro or everything should be Aero. Right now it feels like having two OSes in one.

windows 8 is what we call a transitional o/s they give us bits of the old versions were used to before dropping it all together in windows 9 and sending the forums into a stir crazed madness of teeth attacking them for ditching their beloved desktop.

so how it feels to you is exactly what it actually is:)

in all honesty while i'm not overly fond of some elements i'm actually looking forward to a version where they just ditch the old stuff and move on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
I guess, if I was using a touch screen tablet, or a Surface, I would be "wowed" by Win8 -- but I'm not.

Not necessarily.

Firstly, many 'apps', take you to a result where you're ging to have to interract with a keyboard/mouse, a finger isn't going to be accurate enough (for most), or the touch screen keyboard will be too too awkward.

Secondly, many of the apps take you directly to the traditional 'desktop', so you're going to subsequently have to interract with a keyboard/mouse as, again, a finger isn't going to be accurate enough (for most), or the touch screen keyboard will be too awkward.

I haven't found touch to be anything 'wow' inducing to date. I also hate the fact that the screen, after a very short while, starts to look like my dog has been licking it, with all the finger marks over the screen. You end up constantly cleaning it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
windows 8 is what we call a transitional o/s
that makes a lot of sense. Coming from the server side it's prob equivalent to going from 2008 to R2.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8 | Win8 Pro
    Acer Aspire E1-571 | PC
    CPU
    Core i3 3110 | Celeron e3400 @ 3.3GHz
    Motherboard
    Acer | Asus P5G41-M LX Plus
    Memory
    4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 | Radeon 6870
    Sound Card
    SB Live 24-bit External
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" | 22" + 20"
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768 | 1080p
    Hard Drives
    120GB SSD | 750GB Hybrid
    PSU
    OCZ 500W
    Case
    Gigabyte
    Cooling
    Stock
    Keyboard
    Kensington
    Mouse
    MS 5000
    Internet Speed
    Comcast 20Mbs+
    Other Info
    Laptop | PC - Extreme bang for the buck :)
Right now I'm thinking....Windows Vist8. Or maybe windows 8sta. Only because this reminds me of my first esperiences with Vista.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows
    alienware
windows 8 is what we call a transitional o/s
that makes a lot of sense. Coming from the server side it's prob equivalent to going from 2008 to R2.

sadly i'm not that familiar with server 2008 to R2.

windows 8 is like a warning of things to come for software developers giving them a chance to shift with the industry.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
If Microsoft ditch the desktop completely and Modern doesn't change to suit, then Apple/Linux will be rubbing their hands with glee.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
If Microsoft ditch the desktop completely and Modern doesn't change to suit, then Apple/Linux will be rubbing their hands with glee.

Windows 8 has just already nearly surpassed Linux marketshare in the first month.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
Everything surpasses Linux at the moment, and probably will into the foreseeable future. Interesting sideline, however, that Ubuntu appears to have been overtaken by Mint, because of Ubuntu's decision to run with the Unity interface, which the vast majority hate with a passion. Mint provides a traditional interface and users don't have to do mods like with Ubuntu to get back the Gnome interface (aka Windows 8 and the desktop start button).

What I'm talking about is that if there was no desktop whatsoever and people had to use just the Modern interface, it would come to a grinding halt, as far as the corporate sector and many other users are concerned. There are a vast number of people who need the ability to do things on multiple screens, with multiple programs running concurrently and visible next to each other. All the Modern interface offers is one app at a time on one screen. I certainly couldn't find a way to open two or more apps at a time and have them visible on different screens, or the one screen.

And why would the Modern interface work in any other way, now or in the future? The interface experience is designed to be the same whether you're using a mobile phone, tablet, PC, TV, kiosk or whatever. If that's what one has to look forward to in Windows 8, I think a lot of people will start to consider their options, once Windows 7 is no longer supported. And that's leaving aside how third party programs are supposed to work on a one screen, unchangeable, interface.

My Computer

System One

• OS

Windows 8 has just already nearly surpassed Linux marketshare in the first month.

Pretty easily done when MS has a sweet deal with laptop and PC manufacturers to encourage its preload on many systems going out the door. But that's a discussion for different thread.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 / Win 8
    Lenovo T510 / HP ProBook 4540S
    CPU
    Intel i5-510m / Intel i3-3110m
    Memory
    4GB / 8GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6"