Solved How's everyones Windows 8 experience going?

I am able to run W8 in what I call Win7 mode, with Metro totally disabled...
How did you disable Metro?
Hi mbratch, I used a hack called Ex7ForW8 found --> HERE.

When you run Ex7ForW8, it asks you to put the Windows 7 installation disk in your burner, and it imports Explorer 7, and the Orb Start Menu and Aero from Windows7.

You can then run Windows 8 in one of two modes:

1. Explorer 7 Shell with Orb Start Menu; and Metro totally turned off.

2. Explorer 8 Shell with Metro and Ex7/Start Menu totally turned off.

But you can't run both at the same time.

There is a toggle switch in the Orb start menu to change over to Metro. And a similar toggle switch in the Metro start screen to toggle back to Explorer 7 shell and Orb Start Menu.

It is the only hack that truly duplicates W7 Orb Start Menu with full functionality. Only way to go as far as I'm concerned. Been using it now for nearly a month and all good; and not borked by updates.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
ps if you want, you can get the full suite of Windows 7 games --> HERE from the same site; and the're also totally free.

Download the code https://hotfile.com/dl/156447161/4da4ff2/mgms_x32x64_1.2.rar.html which comes at the end of the blurb on which games are included. Using Regular Download you have to wait a while for the download to start. If you're a member it's a lot quicker.

mbratch said:
One other thing to consider is attached hardware. Probably not an issue for most people, but I have a couple of somewhat older HP laser printers on my network. Windows 7 has drivers for them, but Windows 8 does not
I'm using a different HP printer but I was able to get specific drivers for that printer from HP to use on Windows 8.

Have you tried searching the HP driver download site by plugging in the printer model you want drivers for, and choosing the OS as W8.

I totally agree with your comments in your post re Metro start screen. I don't use it at all. But I wanted the increased functionality of the W8 OS kernel. Really should have been Service Pack 2 for W7.

I don't use a M$ account but log in with a local account so I'm never online to M$.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Have you tried searching the HP driver download site by plugging in the printer model you want drivers for, and choosing the OS as W8.
Yeah, I did. The site says that a Windows 8 driver is coming toward the end of this year. It's getting very close... ;) Although the strawman date they posted was 10/29/2012. But I'm ever hopeful...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 / Win 8
    Lenovo T510 / HP ProBook 4540S
    CPU
    Intel i5-510m / Intel i3-3110m
    Memory
    4GB / 8GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6"
Yeah, I did. The site says that a Windows 8 driver is coming toward the end of this year. It's getting very close... ;) Although the strawman date they posted was 10/29/2012. But I'm ever hopeful...
Don't want to be negative, but wouldn't hold my breath. When I went from XP to Vista I had an HP printer that was 6 months old, that cost near $600, and Vista would not allow the driver package from HP to install, but insisted on putting in it's own drivers.'

Problem was you needed the original HP Driver package to get the tool box to align new printer cartridges. I had to keep XP loaded on a separate partition just to align new cartridges. Once aligned the memory was retained in the printer, not in the OS, so I could then use it on Vista.

HP kept promising me new drivers were coming out to overcome this problem ... and that went on for about two years, until finally I upgraded to a newer model. However, later models have kept pace with Win7 and now very quickly with W8. You're unlucky I guess having an older model. :(

The thing I like about HP is the print head is actually in the cartridge for deskjet. So when you change cartridges you change print heads. I had a multi-purpose Canon a few years ago, that was over $700, and just out of one year warranty the printer heads went, and the cost to repair was more than the cost of a new machine. That's why I swung over to HP, and apart from the XP to Vista problem, have been very happy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
The funny part is I have an even older printer that has a Windows 8 driver.

I was half-tempted to try using my Windows 7 64-bit driver to see if that works. Maybe if I'm feeling lucky...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 / Win 8
    CPU
    Memory
    4GB / 8GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6"
The funny part is I have an even older printer that has a Windows 8 driver.

I was half-tempted to try using my Windows 7 64-bit driver to see if that works. Maybe if I'm feeling lucky...
I actually ran a Win7 chipset driver on W8, both 64bit, on same PC, and it loaded and ran OK. Might be worth a go, because a couple of times when I tried to run stuff, especially in the earlier months, it simply wouldn't permit the drivers to run, and gave the error message that they were incompatible. But it didn't bork the OS.

In the words of Dirty Harry: "Are you feeling luck! Well are you ... " Difference is there's no 0.357 magnum pointed at you! I hope!!! lol! :party:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
I am new here to the forum, and hesitant to share my experience with the Win 8 platform, because I am not impressed at all with it.
There are many things that I am finding irritating, and unacceptable in a new OS.
If the moderators encourage me I will share this here, and politely so. I do not and will not encourage any form of flaming or aggressive discussion, wanting only to have my experience "helpful" to other readers.
That said, I will only share I give this OS a 2 out of 10 right now.

Harlan

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    ASUS CM6780
    CPU
    pentium
    Motherboard
    asus
    Memory
    16G
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 630
I am new here to the forum, and hesitant to share my experience with the Win 8 platform, because I am not impressed at all with it.
There are many things that I am finding irritating, and unacceptable in a new OS.
If the moderators encourage me I will share this here, and politely so. I do not and will not encourage any form of flaming or aggressive discussion, wanting only to have my experience "helpful" to other readers.

Harlan

Welcome to Eight Forums, Harlan. Good to have you. :)

LOL! Not to worry about posting your rating on Windows 8. No one will shoot you for that. Most will respect it. A fair warning to you, though. If/when you post your reasons why you rate it as such is when you'll probably face the firing squad! :p

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Can we please avoid having every thread taken over by ranting about the same things?

Please post in an existing rant thread, or start a new one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
If there's one thing that's stopping me from moving over to Win 8 on my tablet, it's the fact that I can't run the tablet's native resolution of 1024 x 600, but have to spoof the registry to get the required minimum of 1366 x 758. The latter causes the text and other visuals in the desktop to deform, which is some applications is unacceptable.

I don't quite understand why the Modern interface requires the higher screen resolution, when the Modern interface icons display quite well at the lower resolution, but accessing apps is simply prevented. A lot of legacy tablets could work fine with Windows 8 if the lower resolutions were supported. Maybe this was simply a marketing move, to force sales of the latest tablets etc?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I am......

Harlan

LOL! Not to worry about posting your rating on Windows 8. No one will shoot you for that. Most will respect it. A fair warning to you, though. If/when you post your reasons why you rate it as such is when you'll probably face the firing squad! :p

Thanks HippsieGypsie:
I am not too worried about the firing squad, more that I want to convey with out irritating.
At this time I will just say I am regretting the new OS, it is the most annoying child I have ever had to deal with :)
I am finding that the trinket features are interfering with getting work done, and so far have not found a way to disable them.
Moving up has meant spending more $$ due to lack of backwards compatibility, in both hardware and software. Having to run everything as administrator is adding steps to a process, and then being asked if I want to do what I asked a computer to do, is wasting my time.
Interesting in how the developers are treating the users! I was fairly sure I wouldn't try to open something if I had not wanted to run it.
So there is my beef for starts.
Cheers

Harlan

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    ASUS CM6780
    CPU
    pentium
    Motherboard
    asus
    Memory
    16G
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 630
I am......

Harlan

Thanks HippsieGypsie:
I am not too worried about the firing squad, more that I want to convey with out irritating.
At this time I will just say I am regretting the new OS, it is the most annoying child I have ever had to deal with :)
I am finding that the trinket features are interfering with getting work done, and so far have not found a way to disable them.
Moving up has meant spending more $$ due to lack of backwards compatibility, in both hardware and software. Having to run everything as administrator is adding steps to a process, and then being asked if I want to do what I asked a computer to do, is wasting my time.
Interesting in how the developers are treating the users! I was fairly sure I wouldn't try to open something if I had not wanted to run it.
So there is my beef for starts.
Cheers

Harlan
Can you post your Start Screen?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
At this time I will just say I am regretting the new OS, it is the most annoying child I have ever had to deal with

Actually, vague hand wavy comments are far more enfuriating than just coming out and saying what the issue is.

Perhaps you'd like to be more specific.

What are you upgrading from? Windows 95?

Windows 8, compatibility wise, is more or less identical in compatibility to Windows 7. I have yet to find a single app that worked on 7 that won't work on 8. Every piece of hardware, more than 30 different printers, a dozens of video cards, etc.. all work.

The only exception I know of is CPU's (and in some cases BIOS's) that do not support the NX bit, which 8 added as a requirement. However, every CPU in the last 5 or 6 years supports this.

What do you mean by running everything as administrator? I run nothing as administrator, other than apps that directly access the hardware (like Riva Tuner). It sounds like you have a configuration problem, or maybe a failed upgrade (you did do a clean install, didn't you?)

Is this your first experience with UAC? This is nothing new. And the issue isn't whether YOU started something, it's whether a piece of malware started it, and is trying to destroy your system, steal your banking information, or setup email spam zombies that will get your internet connection suspended by your ISP.

UAC's purpose is to protect you in case a rogue application gets into your system. In a properly configured system, it should rarely show itself. Only when doing an administrative task.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
aside from one instance of stupidly thinking I could trust windows update(set it to allow important updates only), and then spending an hour redoing 8 hours of work spread over two days...

I love windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 64 bit
    Sony US-SVE141290X-LBOM
    CPU
    3rd gen Intel® Core™ i3-3110M processor (2.40GHz)
    Motherboard
    unknown.
    Memory
    6gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel® HD Graphics 4000
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    1x @500gb
    Internet Speed
    fios 15/5
If there's one thing that's stopping me from moving over to Win 8 on my tablet, it's the fact that I can't run the tablet's native resolution of 1024 x 600, but have to spoof the registry to get the required minimum of 1366 x 758. The latter causes the text and other visuals in the desktop to deform, which is some applications is unacceptable.

I don't quite understand why the Modern interface requires the higher screen resolution, when the Modern interface icons display quite well at the lower resolution, but accessing apps is simply prevented. A lot of legacy tablets could work fine with Windows 8 if the lower resolutions were supported. Maybe this was simply a marketing move, to force sales of the latest tablets etc?

Agree, with the block of access for Metro Apps on screen resolution less than 1024x768, hinders users to upgrade to Windows 8.
Note that netbooks are booming in Indonesia, and most of them uses 1024x600. Only way to use the metro apps is by changing Display1_DownscalingSupported on registry.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Y520
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ
    Motherboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Memory
    4GB DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Core
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PC:

AMD Athlon X4 760K
    8GB DDR3-1866
    AMD Radeon RX 460
    Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM
Can we please avoid having every thread taken over by ranting about the same things?

Please post in an existing rant thread, or start a new one.

Kinda have to agree here. What we need is an all in one rant thread where everyone can just post their rants about the OS.

I wouldn't participate since Windows 8 is awesome for me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
"How's Everyone's Windows 8 Experience Going?" is a fairly open ended question. :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 / Win 8
    CPU
    Memory
    4GB / 8GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6"
"How's Everyone's Windows 8 Experience Going?" is a fairly open ended question. :p

True, but one should not hijack threads just to rant and not give any details as to why. Ranting for the sake of ranting should be considered spam, especially when trying to hijack threads such as this one.

Not having a good Windows 8 experience? That's fine, tell us why in a respectful civil manner and maybe the W8F community can help make it better.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop

True, but one should not hijack threads just to rant and not give any details as to why. Ranting for the sake of ranting should be considered spam, especially when trying to hijack threads such as this one.

Not having a good Windows 8 experience? That's fine, tell us why in a respectful civil manner and maybe the W8F community can help make it better.
Understood. Rants occur on both sides and are hard to control. If you ask for an opinion regarding Windows 8, I see unsubstantiated or very subjective claims stated in absolute terms from all sorts of directions (e.g., "Metro sucks raw eggs", or "Metro is just so uber cool", etc). There are other claims that sound good but are also unsubstantiated, such as "Windows 8 helps me work more efficiently" or "I need a start menu to work more efficiently". Without examples, it's just a piddling contest.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 / Win 8
    CPU
    Memory
    4GB / 8GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6"