How to stay updated with drivers on a Ryzen based system?

avada

Since MS arbitrarily dropped support for wind with never CPU-s manufacturers seems to have followed and there are no win8 version of drivers and such.
How can I keep recent versions of drivers without getting screwed? Is there a guide with tips around?

Getting screwed would be for example:
Getting a BSOD (KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE)when trying to update the AMD chipset drivers to the most recent version and loosing support for USB input devices, which I'm suffering from right now...
Any ideas how to fix it?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime B350-PLUS
    Memory
    G.SKILL Trident Z 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz F4-3000C15D-16GTZB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 (Asus ENGTS450)
    PSU
    500w FSP
Since MS arbitrarily dropped support for wind with never CPU-s manufacturers seems to have followed and there are no win8 version of drivers and such.
How can I keep recent versions of drivers without getting screwed? Is there a guide with tips around?

Getting a BSOD (KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE)when trying to update the AMD chipset drivers recent version and loosing support for USB input devices, which I'm suffering from right now...
Any ideas how to fix it?

You need to install the chipset drivers to make sure everything is running at its full potential, You can get direct from the AMD website, here: Download Drivers it contains things like the sata drivers, smbus drivers, raid drivers etc, all in one, just install the same way you would anything else.

Although the drivers do come with their own power plan for windows.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
You need to install the chipset drivers to make sure everything is running at its full potential, You can get direct from the AMD website, here: Download Drivers it contains things like the sata drivers, smbus drivers, raid drivers etc, all in one, just install the same way you would anything else.

Although the drivers do come with their own power plan for windows.

Did you actually try that? That was the problem. I tried to install the new version of the drivers but I got a BSOD. (I also get a BSOD every time I want to remove or disable one of the USB stuff in Device manager. I think it's the "AMD USB3 Host Controller")
I had to run the installer in windows 7 compatibility mode, otherwise I got a BS error of not having a radeon card or whatever.

And when I try to install the old version again it hangs indefinitely without doing anything. The new version still gives the BSOD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime B350-PLUS
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    PSU
    500w FSP
Correct me if I'm wrong but from your specs it looks like you're running a modded socket 771 CPU in a socket 775 MOBO ? I've Never done one of those, so you think it's possible doing that could have anything to do with finding the correct drivers :confused:

Or you're asking about a different PC that you haven't posted any specs ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME
Correct me if I'm wrong but from your specs it looks like you're running a modded socket 771 CPU in a socket 775 MOBO ? I've Never done one of those, so you think it's possible doing that could have anything to do with finding the correct drivers :confused:

Or you're asking about a different PC that you haven't posted any specs ?
Yeah... That wasn't updated, now I did. My title was correct I have a Ryzen CPU. Didn't even remember that this forum has system specs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime B350-PLUS
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    PSU
    500w FSP
More better, Nice Rig :)

About the only thing I can think of to say is Very Carefully. Since you're already running Win 7 you know about the install problems and you should already have your PC set to never install driver updates as well as having Windows updates turned Off and be downloading the Security Updates Only.

For the USB driver problem you're having, you can try to uninstall the drivers and manually install version Crimson ReLive 17.2.1 Chipset Drivers as recommended in this older guide: How To Get Ryzen Working on Windows 7 x64

Going forward You could try installing Win 10 on a second partition or Native Boot VHD and when new drivers are issued, move the drivers over to the Win 7 OS and testing ? More than likely IF that works, I wouldn't count on it continuing to work. There'll be a point that you won't be able to install new drivers :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME
More better, Nice Rig :)

About the only thing I can think of to say is Very Carefully. Since you're already running Win 7 you know about the install problems and you should already have your PC set to never install driver updates as well as having Windows updates turned Off and be downloading the Security Updates Only.

For the USB driver problem you're having, you can try to uninstall the drivers and manually install version Crimson ReLive 17.2.1 Chipset Drivers as recommended in this older guide: How To Get Ryzen Working on Windows 7 x64

Going forward You could try installing Win 10 on a second partition or Native Boot VHD and when new drivers are issued, move the drivers over to the Win 7 OS and testing ? More than likely IF that works, I wouldn't count on it continuing to work. There'll be a point that you won't be able to install new drivers :(
Actually I'm running Win8, but I guess you meant that.
That problem is that I can't remove the driver. I tried removing the USB3 Host Controller, I tried updating the driver but I always got a BSOD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime B350-PLUS
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    PSU
    500w FSP
Yep, I pecked the wrong thing again :cry: Stupid Bat :sick: The Instructions for Win 7 and 8.1 would be the same but I don't know why you can't remove the driver ? If you still have the Install USB or can make another, the only option might be to "Upgrade to the Same OS" or make a fresh install if You don't have a backup ? I don't have any faith in System Restore so before doing anything like that I'll make a bootable cloned copy to test on.

You might just have to give up on finding newer drivers, or consider Win poop err Win 10

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME
Yep, I pecked the wrong thing again :cry: Stupid Bat :sick: The Instructions for Win 7 and 8.1 would be the same but I don't know why you can't remove the driver ? If you still have the Install USB or can make another, the only option might be to "Upgrade to the Same OS" or make a fresh install if You don't have a backup ? I don't have any faith in System Restore so before doing anything like that I'll make a bootable cloned copy to test on.

You might just have to give up on finding newer drivers, or consider Win poop err Win 10
I don't know either, but I think it might have caused all the suckage, when the installer tried to remove it. Causing a BSOD, which left me with some drivers removed, but no replacements installed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime B350-PLUS
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    PSU
    500w FSP
Yeah. I got fed up with the issues I had with win 10 not long after it was released so I got back to 8. I hoped it would get less buggy and stable. But I still here of more and more issues...
Maybe I'll try it again with the impending RS4 version.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime B350-PLUS
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    PSU
    500w FSP
I'm a Win 8.1 user myself. I have the Wife and Kids running Win 10 so if one of their PCs get hit with a BSOD or Endless Boot-Loop they can use each others. I can't afford to have My own PCs offline for Hours or Days while I'm working to repair them :mad: I also still have one old desktop running Win 7 just to use to try replicating problems I may be helping someone with. I would take a look at being more than a "Mint on a Stick" Linux user if Windows hadn't made me so lazy :oops:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME
Ugh. I can't find a way around getting a BSOD when trying to remove/update/disable/whatever the USB 3/3.1 host controller...
Any ideas? How can I wipe the driver manually? (In registry or removing driver files manually)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime B350-PLUS
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    PSU
    500w FSP
How can I keep recent versions crossword solver sip calculator epfo of drivers without getting screwed? Is there a guide with tips around?

Getting a BSOD (KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE)when trying to update the AMD chipset drivers to the most recent version and loosing support for USB input devices, which I'm suffering from right now...
Any ideas how to fix it?
you still have the Install USB or can make another, the only option might be to "Upgrade to the Same OS" or make a fresh install if You don't have a backup ? I don't have any faith in System Restore so before doing anything like that I'll make a bootable cloned copy to test on.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    sierra
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back