How to setup click on taskbar icon to cycle thru windows?

nuspieds

Hi,

I have a laptop that was previously running Win 7 Ultimate x64 andI upgraded that to Win 8 Pro x64 quite some time back. On this laptop, when I have several windows open for an app on my task bar, when I repeatedly left-click on the task bar icon, it cycles through the app's windows. That is, as I click, the app window will show up in the foreground and the next click will show the app's next window, etc.

Now I have a new laptop, with Win 8 Pro x64 pre-installed and I no longer have the cycle-through feature. When I click on an app that has multiple windows, all it does is show me the preview windows down by the taskbar.

I searched and searched and could not find where such an option exists for me to enable that feature to cycle through when I click and I couldn't find anything. Nor was I able to find any posts on the matter. :(

Does anyone know how I can enable this feature on my new laptop so that both are functioning the same?

Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad W700

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Brewed
    CPU
    I7 4970K OC'ed @4.7 GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI-Z97
    Memory
    16 GB G-Skill Trident X @2400MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual HP-W2408
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    256 GB M2 sm951, (2) 500GB 850EVO, 5TB, 2 TB Seagate
    PSU
    Antec 850W
    Case
    Antec 1200
    Cooling
    Danger Den H20
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance Mouse MX
    Internet Speed
    35/12mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
Hi,

Thanks, but no it doesn't.

You see, on my other laptop (the one that originally had Win 7 Ultimate x64), I don't have any special taskbar software installed. On that PC, when I have, for example, 3 Notepad windows open, when I click on the Notepad icon in my Taskbar, Windows just automatically cycles through the Notepad windows, bringing them into foreground focus.

But on my new PC, if I have 3 Notepad windows open, when I click on the Notepad icon in my Taskbar, all that happens is that Windows displays the 3 mini/preview windows above the icon in the Taskbar.

Again, I don't recall doing anything to enable the cycle-through functionality on my old laptop.

What happens on your PC? Try it with Notepad: Add Notepad to your Taskbar, open 3 Notepad sessions, then repeatedly click on the Notepad icon in your Taskbar. What happens?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Lenovo ThinkPad W700
alt-tab?

That being said, it should pop-up a preview of all of the tabs, and you should be able to hover over each preview to show that window.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus Tansformer Book Flip TP500LN
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000

1) Alt-tab operates on all open windows for all apps;
2) Alt-tab cycles through mini-displays of those windows and once you release the alt-tab, the window that it was on last is the one that comes to the foreground;
3) That's not the way my old laptop that was upgraded from Win 7 to Win 8 works. As stated, as you click on the icon in the Taskbar, each window of the app--and only that app--is cycled through and brought to the foreground. For example, assuming that I'm only running Notepad and Paint. Notepad has 3 open windows and Paint has 5. When I click on the Notepad icon in my Taskbar, Windows displays Notepad's first window in the foreground. When I click on it again, the second Notepad window is displayed in the foreground. When I click on it again, the third Notepad window is displayed in the foreground. When I click on it again, the FIRST Notepad window is brought to the foreground; etc.

I'm just looking to have the functionality I described in #3 above in my new Windows 8 Pro pre-installed laptop. I don't know what I did (if anything) in my old laptop to get that functionality, but I like it and I want it in my new laptop.

Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Lenovo ThinkPad W700
Their closest I can come to that is rest the mouse over the notepad icon.
When the three images pop out, slide the mouse over each image to see a full size image.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
Their closest I can come to that is rest the mouse over the notepad icon.
When the three images pop out, slide the mouse over each image to see a full size image.
My query isn't how to bring the windows to the foreground, but how do I make the new laptop function like the old one, where all I have to do is repeatedly click on the taskbar icon?Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Lenovo ThinkPad W700
I don't think you can.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus Tansformer Book Flip TP500LN
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000
Unless I have a special Windows 8 "bug" or something on my old laptop, then whatever Windows 8 UI functionality it has should also exist on my new laptop. Like I stated previously, the important difference is that the old was upgraded from Windows 7.

But I'm still curious...when you do it...e.g., put Notepad on your Taskbar and then open 3 windows and click the Notepad Taskbar icon multiple times, what happens?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Lenovo ThinkPad W700
7 Taskbar Tweaker has an option for that: in the "Left click on combined item" select "Cycle through windows".

I don't know how well it works because I don't use grouping or combining. But what you describe sounds exactly what this option does.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Back