How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8/10/11

Goodnight.
Thank you very much for your work. I read in post # 621 some questions regarding languages.
Hello Igore, and welcome to the Eight forums!
You're welcome and Thank You for your post.

Please read Post #4 and not post #621 which was for someone else (but that's okay)
As it says in Post #4 please send me a PM with a screenshot of your current 'WinMail' 'About Box' opened and working on your Win10 v20H2 (To see AboutBox open WinMail and go to to the top tab of: Help> About, and take screenshot) Also just as it says in Post #4 also tell if it's x86 or x64, etc
You can send me a PM with this info and I will reply, and if your versions are correct I will get Spanish files for you just like I did Italian for member Mindrek in Post #652 ..see Italian language screenshot for him there.
I will help you the same way for Spanish with your Win10 v20H2.

I would appreciate Spanish (from Spain). If possible.

Yes I'd be happy to help you!

I will await your PM with the info I requested please

endeavor

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live
Hello, Endeavor. Thanks for your quick response.
I send you an image of my W10 x64 and the open WM. Sorry I didn't upload it yesterday; I tried but did something wrong. (I'm new). Thanks again. You have a good day!

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win10 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I said via PM (Personal Message) not on the forum (for your privacy). Okay everything checks out with your version although I can barley see it's so darn small. BTW, If by chance (I can't remember the rules ATM) but if your rank prevents you from attaching pictures in PM's for 'new' members for a while, then you can use any reputable outside image hosting to show your images as well.

I have a few questions for you, but I will send you a PM to ask, and you can reply to me that way, via PM!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
I would appreciate the instructions for Spanish (from Spain). If possible.

Thank you Igore for supplying all the rest of the info I asked for in post #4 via PM, it was a pleasure to work with you.

Communication was continued via PM, and Spanish language files & accommodations were delivered via PM attachment.

..results were as expected: :)

Tested / Working:
(click image for full view)

Igore_Spanish.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. You are a good person, I mean it!!! I created an account to download the files and of course, to post this.

I was using Windows Mail up until two weeks ago. Long story short, an eleven year old hdd failed and here I am with a new pc running Windows 10 Pro. (Gave up on dual booting 7 after a wasted weekend--I was way out of the loop regarding hardware/firmware restrictions on legacy os's, but that's another story....I guess I'll run 7 on a vm when I feel so inclined). I know Vista gets a lot of hate but I have no issues with Windows Mail... it loads and sorts messages simply enough, and even though it can't handle an overwhelming amount of storage you can just throw .emls in a folder and it reads them without problems.

I was really distraught over the past two weeks...webmail or using the phone drive me towards "serenity now" territory. I tried other programs but just couldn't get with the interface (Outlook is too busy; other bird related clients don't offer offer much functionality at all [i.e. can't even sort messages by sender or subject]).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 10 pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    vostro 3681
    CPU
    i7
Hi, Mids. Welcome.

Your case is almost the same as mine. I am an enemy of Vista, but WinMail is different. For me it is perfect. That is why I wanted to have it on my new Win10.

The work is by Endeavor, who is a genius. Thanks again.

Igore

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win10 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Thank you...
Hello mids and welcome to the Eight Forums
You're welcome x3 right back at ya..
I assume you did get WinMail working then, yes? I can't tell from your post, but if you are coming from a Vista OS (which btw I've always much enjoyed and love Vista) to your new Windows 10 machine, and re-instated WinMail on it, just remember all the things listed in the Bug List linked at the top of Post 1 that you'll need to get used to and be aware of okay - there are limitations! ..and please be aware of the countless other important details which are Crucial for you to be aware of - all of which over time have been painstakingly incorporated into the ''Important Time Line Notes'' & ''WinMail Backup/Restore procedures'' spoilers, on Post #1, etc, all in order to keep WinMail going on Windows 10 after every update (is easy) but it takes understanding how to do it, and perseverance, if that's what you want to do. I do it with my eyes closed by now, but for other people can be a 'not so much'.

Gave up on dual booting 7...
I could not be without it, actually I myself triple boot Win7/Win8/Win10 on my 'main' tower; I have 4 towers though, which is how i 'Live' maintain 12 OS's = Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10 (x86&x64) ..including W98SE/WXP ..No VM's ..all OS's are live, and I can boot to any one of them instantly with a click of the mouse.

You joined to download the files, and then posted and hour later with WinMail working? ..or, maybe you haven't actually re-installed WinMail yet? I say that because usually it takes the average person a few days to digest All the material, and once they understand all aspects, then they can re-instate WinMail in a matter of 10 minutes, having everything all lined up to go. I am always installing new OS's, and I have a numbered list of things to do as I go right down the list each time, and when it comes time to reinstate WinMail, I have a numbered list for that too with all files/folders in order ...I just go right down my list, click, click, click, and in a few minutes I have WinMail working.

Anyway, congratulations on your new rig, and WinMail abilities.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
I assume you did get WinMail working then, yes?
I got it working, thank you.

I could not be without it, actually I myself triple boot Win7/Win8/Win10 on my 'main' tower; I have 4 towers though, which is how i 'Live' maintain 12 OS's = Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10 (x86&x64) ..including W98SE/WXP ..No VM's ..all OS's are live, and I can boot to any one of them instantly with a click of the mouse.

Hahaha, I certainly can't do that. The first thing I tried to do when I booted up this pc was clone a hard drive with Win 7 then proceed to waste the weekend trying to multi-boot (and ultimately doing a factory reset). I wasn't aware of UEFI and chipset imposed limitations (the last PC I bought was in 2009...the dead hard drive had around 3200 days POH while the cloned hdd was from a 2007 pc that I only used for work).

A lot of sites talk about how it's easy to run both OS's but leave out crucial data. I actually found reasonable instructions from an official Microsoft post (ironic, right, since their forums are terrible) showing how to install 7 on a 10 pc and tried that route (fresh partition instead of clone) but it kept freezing at installation, then not booting at all. So I gave up, I think running a vm will be fine. To be honest, I am surprised 10 is mostly the same, I mean, directories and files are still there, I know they're not going to reinvent the wheel but why keep Windows Sidebar dirs, etc?

So the second biggest annoyance I've had was trying to set the interface. It's strange how despite all the dumbing down, you can actually change a lot via advanced settings or the registry, without screwing up the OS completely. I guess that's a plus, but still, it's basically them not wanting us to customize anything.... (some fixes still don't work, for example...disabling tabbed browsing with the MS browsers). Don't get me started with re-designed software...that's also been a pain. Adobe seems egregious here, but in their defense they did it a couple of years ago (why, why, why?? my old versions ran fine up until two weeks ago).

You joined to download the files, and then posted and hour later with WinMail working? ..or, maybe you haven't actually re-installed WinMail yet? I say that because usually it takes the average person a few days to digest All the material, and once they understand all aspects, then they can re-instate WinMail in a matter of 10 minutes, having everything all lined up to go. I am always installing new OS's, and I have a numbered list of things to do as I go right down the list each time, and when it comes time to reinstate WinMail, I have a numbered list for that too with all files/folders in order ...I just go right down my list, click, click, click, and in a few minutes I have WinMail working.

Anyway, congratulations on your new rig, and WinMail abilities.

It worked right away, your instructions were clear enough. I wasted all day on other clients and manually importing .emls to m and bird until I somehow had an epiphany and re-visited this forum. And well, for some reason, I noticed the text saying it works on Windows 10 and went for it.

You did get me worried about the system updates now though. I suppose I should back up the files. What do the updates do, corrupt the .dlls and registry entries? All the other files are pretty straight forward, doesn't seem like it'd be an issue. Again, another thing I was surprised about, I ran some software directly from a USB drive, no issues at all...previous Windows versions were generally finicky about that (i.e. program files/driver data missing etc), so I guess that's a plus point for 10.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 10 pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    vostro 3681
    CPU
    i7
You did get me worried about the system updates now though. I suppose I should back up the files. What do the updates do, corrupt the .dlls and registry entries?
Well you should be worried, unless you create what I said in the Backup & Restore spoiler, because your next major update will totally remove WinMail again, and certainly all of your current settings and any message store you have! Deleted - Gone! So go back and read up on what I said in my last message what to do.
Actually, if I had your old HD in my hands (I don't care if the hard drive went bad but as long as it was still spinning) I could extract your 10 year old WM Message Store Folder, and place it properly into your new Win10, and when you opened WinMail you would see exactly what you had before your HD went bad - which you are suppose to create a WinMail backup of it BEFORE your HD breaks though, and so that's on you.
I laboriously explain how to do all that, and it's waaaay best to do it Before things break of course. You just need to go back and absorb all the spoiler notes, yes boring maybe, until you realize the wealth of information there that pertains everything WinMail, that gives you complete forward/backward control of your WinMail client. If I said anything else I would just repeating myself every post, so the rest is up to you with what you want to go back and read and learn with it; don't be forced to learn the information the hard way after it breaks with frustration of lost mail data.

Yes as you say Windows 10 basically is the same familiar (sort of) under the hood as its predecessors. The new flavors of Win10 is almost like a key logger though capturing all your information, unless you learn how to turn it all off, but once you do, it's fine. I only support WinMail in this thread though <g> There are easy ways to tame it, get it to look similar how it was, and to turn off Windows Updates with Wu10Man or WUB, or use a program to make it work like it use to so that you are in control of WU like Windows Update MiniTool, or WAU Manager which I believe our forums administrator (Brink) uses Option 7. There are programs to turn off sending MS all your info, etc, like O&O Shutup10, or Privatezilla, or you can spend the time to take care of it all manually via information in the various Tutorials in our sister forum called TenForums. I've used and tested all the ones I mentioned. I only support WinMail in this thread though, but once you get Win10 tamed to your liking, it's fine. I actually love it, but, I say that about each OS that came out from back using Windows 95, and every single one since to the present, and I fully realize and saw how each OS was built off of the learning of the other, and so I have to appreciate and love the lineage.. well I think anyway; ymmv. Even Windows Mail is actually a special update off of Outlook Express, and I liked it so much better, so much so I won't let it go now LoL ..but using WinMail these days is Certainly Not for everyone, only those die hard users that have the desire and technical ability to do so will flourish with it. Remember though, read post #5 about security.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Well you should be worried, unless you create what I said in the Backup & Restore spoiler, because your next major update will totally remove WinMail again, and certainly all of your current settings and any message store you have! Deleted - Gone! So go back and read up on what I said in my last message what to do.

Thanks; I am still new to the forum, I didn't realize that all of those entries could be clicked. Got the registry entries, that's most important!

Actually, if I had your old HD in my hands (I don't care if the hard drive went bad but as long as it was still spinning) I could extract your 10 year old WM Message Store Folder, and place it properly into your new Win10, and when you opened WinMail you would see exactly what you had before your HD went bad - which you are suppose to create a WinMail backup of it BEFORE your HD breaks though, and so that's on you.

I have my emails...as soon as the hard drive started clicking I knew it wouldn't last much longer, so I copied them over to storage. I used to do this around once a year to keep the folders light, but got lazy in recent years.

It was a hardware failure. As I said, a really old hd; when I plugged it in to salvage remaining files the diagnostics said the power on hours were at like 3200 days. I got everything I needed, anything left over was just a bonus (the partition with really important stuff seemed unscathed at first, so could copy right away; the boot drive on the other hand, was all over the place).

The new flavors of Win10 is almost like a key logger though capturing all your information, unless you learn how to turn it all off, but once you do, it's fine.

Ugh, that's why I don't like anything that needs net connectivity 24/7 (i.e. no wonder all the software packages went subscription based).

There are easy ways to tame it, get it to look similar how it was, and to turn off Windows Updates with Wu10Man or WUB, or use a program to make it work like it use to so that you are in control of WU like Windows Update MiniTool, or WAU Manager which I believe our forums administrator (Brink) uses Option 7. There are programs to turn off sending MS all your info, etc, like O&O Shutup10, or Privatezilla, or you can spend the time to take care of it all manually via information in the various Tutorials in our sister forum called TenForums.

Even Windows Mail is actually a special update off of Outlook Express, and I liked it so much better, so much so I won't let it go now LoL ..but using WinMail these days is Certainly Not for everyone, only those die hard users that have the desire and technical ability to do so will flourish with it. Remember though, read post #5 about security.

Thanks for the tips. That's a dilemma for me though...I don't want to get a bunch of third party software. I am really a minimalist when it comes to systems.

As far as OE... I still have .dbx files in my storage!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 10 pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    vostro 3681
    CPU
    i7
I didn't realize that all of those entries could be clicked
That's why next to it, it says specifically (click spoiler) :)

Got the registry entries, that's most important!
Nope, well maybe a little GUI wise, but not what you think!

I have my emails...
Nope, well not how you think or what I meant. I am not talking about importing messages here either, you will see my notes on that. Besides, you need in combination, the registry entries AND the MSF
I won't repeat it here, seems that's all I do over the years, so instead when you have the time and inclination, take the time, to read every line in every spoiler, twice! You'll see either the easy way, or the hard way = you're choice! I did my part :)

I don't want to get a bunch of third party software
I agree, and trust me I am a minimalist as well. fwiw, all the software tools I mentioned are Self-Run exe's, iow, they Do Not install anything! ..instead, on the fly, they just toggle things for you in a hurry for those are too lazy to spend the days or weeks of research it takes to come up to speed, on all the intricacies of Win10's menagerie of ..StUff

Anyway get WinMail understanding locked in first, and then the rest. Maybe it should be the other way around - but each has their own way.

Thank you, and all the best!

endeavor

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Nope, well not how you think or what I meant. I am not talking about importing messages here either, you will see my notes on that. Besides, you need in combination, the registry entries AND the MSF
I won't repeat it here, seems that's all I do over the years, so instead when you have the time and inclination, take the time, to read every line in every spoiler, twice! You'll see either the easy way, or the hard way = you're choice! I did my part :)

I agree, and trust me I am a minimalist as well. fwiw, all the software tools I mentioned are Self-Run exe's, iow, they Do Not install anything! ..instead, on the fly, they just toggle things for you in a hurry for those are too lazy to spend the days or weeks of research it takes to come up to speed, on all the intricacies of Win10's menagerie of ..StUff

Anyway get WinMail understanding locked in first, and then the rest. Maybe it should be the other way around - but each has their own way.

Thank you, and all the best!

endeavor

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I followed the steps when I read the instructions and saved all the files of course. I just meant the registry and dlls were the most important for me as I already have the emls, so my focus is just to keep the thing working. You did a good job explaining it. Of course there's a lot of stuff to read through given all the updates, but it's laid out better than anything else I've found.

The "rest" will take a while. It's a rabbit hole, you know.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 10 pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    vostro 3681
    CPU
    i7
Sorry, didn't mean to offend.

huh? ...no worries whatsoever; no offense taken at anything really - for sure!
I am saying from experience I can tell from your reply wording that there are a few things in the Backup & Restore spoiler you did not fully get yet, its complete purpose and function, and above all I wanted you to understand it. I imagine it's nearly impossible to understand the whole tutorial at one sitting, just like for you with the spoilers recognition; speaking of which today to make that clearer for you, so I edited onto the wording of those particular spoilers: (click spoiler button for details)
I must have 35 spoilers all over the tutorial, and obviously they are all needed for overall post brevity, with successive clarity available for each subject when needed, or screenshot, each time one is used. If I did not use spoilers the Tutorial would be what ..5 pages long! I had to get creative and use spoilers to give it the right look of brevity, while still maintaining availability right at your fingertips, for complete full information.

I'm a stickler for details knowing how important they are, and want everyone to have the best success with it all.

No worries mids, I appreciate your replies, thank you and welcome aboard!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
I've referred to this website many times over the years to get help in recovering WinMial after a windows update. But alas I am now switching email clients. I knew this day would come. With each update, I fretted about losing access to my emails then followed all the steps carefully to recover them. It was a time consuming and frustrating exercise but I was was grateful to have my favourite email client back. However this time I was unsuccessful and got a 0x800CCC90 error. I expect I could get it working if I put in the time but I decided I don't want to do this every update. I am switching to MailBird. Maybe I'll get used to it and if I don't I'll try again to get WinMail back.

Thank you so much for doing these posts. It helped me prolong the inevitable.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
Thank you so much for doing these posts.

Thank you for your post AMMI,
Doing a Backup of the Backup and Restore spoiler notes, BEFORE, doing a Windows Update, makes is so darn easy to Fully Recover and restore Windows Mail from Anything and Everything (every error) that could ever happen. It's simply a few click click clicks and placement of a few files here and there, and then to restore put them back to the same place whole again. All the instructions are there if one takes the time to fully understand them - and then always having a restore 'ready to go' Beforehand! I realize one must have a little computer savvy already but really it's so blessed easy and takes less time to do it than the time it takes to worry about it, less time than the time it takes to type your message here even, can set you free.
Everyone, just always have the Full Backup made FIRST, and you will be WinMail invincible from ever losing anything!
If anyone did not make a Backup of any kind, and you get corrupted, sad on yourself, but with no backup of any kind the only resolution is to start WinMail from scratch default. All that is detailed how to do so well already, in the tutorial.
Thank you AMMI, and bless!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
I'm a stickler for details knowing how important they are, and want everyone to have the best success with it all.

No worries mids, I appreciate your replies, thank you and welcome aboard!

I'll be reading all the updates, you can be sure of that!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 10 pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    vostro 3681
    CPU
    i7
I've referred to this website many times over the years to get help in recovering WinMial after a windows update. But alas I am now switching email clients. I knew this day would come. With each update, I fretted about losing access to my emails then followed all the steps carefully to recover them. It was a time consuming and frustrating exercise but I was was grateful to have my favourite email client back. However this time I was unsuccessful and got a 0x800CCC90 error. I expect I could get it working if I put in the time but I decided I don't want to do this every update. I am switching to MailBird. Maybe I'll get used to it and if I don't I'll try again to get WinMail back.

Thank you so much for doing these posts. It helped me prolong the inevitable.

Nooooooooooo!! I tried mailbird... it's all smoke and mirrors... you can't even sort messages the way you want. I was disappointed given all the good reviews and people saying how it functioned like Windows Mail, etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 10 pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    vostro 3681
    CPU
    i7
I'll be reading all the updates, you can be sure of that!
Thanks mids, the updates are pretty much done already though, the only changes to be made is to occasionally change wordings to catch the attention of the reader better. If you've truly memorized the reasons and meanings of everything written already, you will be WinMail golden. The tutorial has been edited/updated so many times already to make it better, simpler, and more exacting, and is truly jam full packed with every explanation and resolution there is within all the spoilers, etc, there is so much, that unfortunately I've found people really don't get or realize the answer was always already right there in front of them, until it's too late, and they unfortunately have to start over from scratch.
That's why (look and see) I typed onto the Backup & Restore spoiler "A Must Read" ..actually every Spoiler is. Even on the very first Step #1 of the instructions ..I put in bold type and say..... ....it's "Imperative" .......

@ AMMI
I edited my reply to you just a wee bit.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP