How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8/10/11

Hallo, kann mir jemand den Ordner de-DE für deutsches WinMail zur Verfügung stellen? Wenn ich den aus Windows 8 bekomme und en-US lösche kann ich kein Konto in Winmail aufrufen. Vielen Dank

Hello, can someone provide me with the folder de-DE for German WinMail? If I get it from Windows 8 and delete it in US, I cannot open an account in Winmail. Many thanks

There is more to it than that. Besides using the proper Program folder attached to Post 1, then in addition also adding within it the desired language folder, which a language change to German it's not just adding the Programs de-DE folder with its mui files, but it's also adding the C:\Windows\System32\ de-DE folder that goes there as well, along with (for this tutorials files operation) replacing the proper Programs folder MSOERES.dll to go along with that for 'this tutorials' unique operation to make your language work. These files Do Not come from Win8 as you tried, or Win10, but they have to come from either Vista Ultimate or Windows 7 'Ultimate' which already has had the desired language installed there. You then copy the files out (or extract from the individual language installers, etc) into the same location on your target OS; there's a few ways to accomplish the task, but to each their own.
I have not outlined the changing language procedure in full detail in the main tutorial yet for a number of good reasons, however in previous years I did start the process and have amassed all the language installers necessary, etc, but besides default English have not installed all of them yet - only Russian & Spanish so far. I even posted the instructions in Post #3 how to do it, but removed it a few days later since since there was not enough demand or appreciation for the effort it takes, verses the time it would take for me to service that language project going forward; along with knowing that the WinMail project itself at some point will be slowly winding down.
I would be willing though, to help the appreciative more experienced computer users get their languages going.

A few questions please:
Have you used Windows Mail before? ..how long?
..did you use the WinMail Tutorial from Post 1, or Post 1&2 to set it up?
Do you have WinMail fully working already in English?
Did you have to translate the WinMail Tutorial into English, to be able to use it?
I ask because for some people the procedure is hard enough in the English language, so wondering how others do it since the translation from one language to another, does not always get all of the important nuances of meanings.

You also don't say ds555 what you are using for an OS, your profile just says Windows 7 ???
I can only assume since you are here that you are using Windows 8, or 10 ???
Windows 7 questions go over in that Windows 7 WinMail forum please.

What OS are you talking and asking about here? ..is it Win8 or 10? ..and is it x86 or x64?
Please give us Much More information when you post. There's too much missing information to answer your question about changing languages? correctly, so help me be able to help you better by giving us much more information.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live
Greetings Monsieur Endeavour

Looking to install WinMail on a friend's laptop, OS Windows 10 64bit version 1809.

In Step 13 you say to paste the contents of the x64-System32.zip to C:\Windows\System 32 folder, OK'ing any file overwrite queries.

The first item in that zip is a folder named en-US containing just one file, viz acctres.dll.mui.

I take it you mean that this particular file is copied to C:\ Windows\System32\en-US folder, and not that the zip en-US folder totally replaces/overwrites the existing en-US folder at this location (which contains in excess of 1700 files).

Could you please clarify?

[And then of course the other two items in the zip (viz files acctres.dll and msoeacct.dll) are pasted to C:\Windows\System32].

Thanking you
Best regards

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8
Hello skippy

I take it you mean that this particular file is copied to C:\ Windows\System32\en-US folder, and not that the zip en-US folder totally replaces/overwrites the existing en-US folder at this location (which contains in excess of 1700 files)

Actually you can do it either way. I worded the instructions that way for a brevity of 1 instruction line, but the technical point is if you copy the attached en-US folder with it's contents to overwrite target, it won't actually delete the folder and all 'other' contents that's in there, it will only replace the one file in the target folder with the one inside the source leaving all others alone. You can prove that out by doing that with any other created test folder and +/- files to see what I mean. If you are more comfortable with just copy/pasting the one file into that en-US folder that's equally fine too, the outcome is the same; that was a good basic question though.
The instruction 1 line brevity, was also all about doing it in one motion; iow, once you extract that particular zip, in one motion you highlight and copy the three items at once (the two files and one folder (containing file)) and paste that into the System32 target, saying yes to file overwrites ..but yes you can do them one by one, or any way, as long as the task is accomplished, which in your questions case is that the acctres.dll.mui, acctres.dll, and msoeacct.dll get replaced with the ones supplied.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Bonjour endeavour

Your clarification has happily nullified my exact concern, ie that the existing System 32\en-US folder would be overwritten.

So your rationale to do copy/paste of the 3 items simultaneously makes perfect sense now, and is certainly the simplest method for transferring the files in Step 13.

Thanking you & best regards.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8
You're welcome skippy,

Just to also say and clarify I would never do that task with the base of the System32\ folder itself or the Windows\ folder, out of pure respect for what it is and what could happen if mistakes were made; as well the serious GUI prompts that come up objecting. I only do it in non critical folders for simplistic reasons. I also would not do a copy over of the WinMail Program folder either, and more Especially Never! the Message Store Folder - those get Deleted first and replaced with source backups for specific reasons mentioned in the Tutorial spoilers.

Also to mention since you are helping a friend which is nice, it's for you both to know that if Windows Automatic Updates is active, then the next time an important update is done and the process wipes out WinMail, which is why the Backup procedure must be done when WinMail is fully setup, and regularly thereafter, to be able to make a quick recover; it's all outlined in the tutorial. Also fwiw, history has shown us that many times when friends with tech abilities help those that don't have, when a update is done and WinMail gets broken (they think unexpectedly) ..the friendship gets strained with what's next, especially if no Backup was made and thus message store, etc, is lost permanently. ..and so prudence is always to create a Backup of the Backup & Restore procedures, regularly.
I don't mean for this post to give too much information not asked for sorry, I'm just keeping it real, and that I care, learning from a long lived experience with all things WinMail related.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Just wanted to add my appreciation for the work put into this tutorial. I followed the instructions including doing post #2 before finishing and Winmail started like a charm, in all its complicated folder structures I originally had it in years ago. Many Many thanks!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    Intel core i5
Hello John and welcome to the EightForums

You're very welcome, and how very nice this morning to read your reply of success!

Everyone can have that same success too, it just needs to take the time, read and understand everything first, and then proceed.

...good job, and thank you for the follow up!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hi, thanks for WinMail tutorial - it works like a charm. The only hassle I have is a Windows Security pop up requesting my WinMail login details every time I log into WinMail. Any suggestions to get rid of this?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    FSP
    CPU
    CPU 3.00HGz
    Motherboard
    Intel i7-9700
    Memory
    1000Gb
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG
Hello Fleor and welcome to the Eight Forums

The only thing I can think why it keeps prompting you to re-enter your information for login details, is that you are forgetting to click "Apply" (or ok ..whatever it is) after you first enter in the details - you must click apply after entering it all for it to take hold !

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
When I do a fresh WinMail install according to the tutorial all works fine and no Window Security pop up comes up. The problem starts when I import messages from back up...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    FSP
    CPU
    CPU 3.00HGz
    Motherboard
    Intel i7-9700
    Memory
    1000Gb
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG
The problem starts when I import messages from back up...

Please take the extra time, take a full day if you need to, but go back and read the Full Tutorial including all spoilers notes. Please read what I say about not using the account import button, especially for Windows 10 - I say Not to use it for account mixing reasons, etc; that's written up in the last few paragraphs of the Backup/Restore spoiler including its .iaf spoiler import/export information. Without question use the full Backup and Restore procedure listed there instead of importing (for WinMail to WinMail.) Take your time, understand fully the process. Also don't forget to acknowledge the reply to your PM that you sent me this morning. Thank you.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hello,
the guide states:
"4. Then right click on your "Program Files\Windows Mail" folder* and click Take Ownership
* ..always using "Program Files\Windows Mail" folder only! ..x64 users Never touch/use that other folder there called: ''Programs Folder (x86)'' !"
So, is it C:\Program Files\Windows Mail ? There is no folder called "'Programs Folder (x86)'' inside of C:\Program Files. I didn't find such folder ("Programs Folder (x86)')' in my computer at all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    os/2
Hello tbsvk, and welcome to the Eight Forums

Just as it says:
"x64 users Never touch/use that other folder there called: ''Programs Folder (x86)"
Is your OS 64-bit? ...if not don't worry about it since you won't see it.
In other words, if your OS is 64-bit, those users will have Two Programs folders there and one is actually called ''Programs Folder (x86)" and it's labeled/named exactly as such, and they (64-bit users) should not use it, and only use the other folder that's there which is "Program Files\Windows Mail"

For OS's that are 32-bit, they will not have that folder named like that there and so you will not see it.
32-bit users only have One folder there and it is called "Program Files\Windows Mail" ..but in either case, All WinMail users will only ever use the "Program Files\Windows Mail" folder.

If you had a 64-bit OS - you will see that folder mentioned and the point is to not use it.
I've written that in the instructions just for them, because, in the past, many people who have 64-bit OS's made the mistake of using that said folder, and their WinMail would not work!
Off Topic, not to further puzzle the situation but 32-bit OS's are often referred to as x86 and that's fine, but don't let that confuse you. In the Windows world x86 means 32-bit, but you can research about all that detail yourself - if desired..
Anyway no matter what, You, Everyone, only use the "Program Files\Windows Mail" as it says.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hello endeavor,
Thank you for reply. I upgraded old win7 laptop with latest win10 build (1909). I tried to follow exactly your guide, so, first backup, then upgrade, then first post, and finally post#2 for builds v1709 - v1909+.... After that restore from backup. I can run Winmail and see all my old posts. Problem starts when I try to send or receive new mail. For recieive, got an error "An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.gmail.com', Server: 'pop.gmail.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800C013E". As Microsoft states, "Error 0x800C013E usually indicates that a corruption of some kind has occurred in the store folder…" So, did I do something wrong ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    os/2
Problem starts when I try to send or receive new mail. For receive, got an error "An unknown error has occurred. Error Number: 0x800C013E"
So, did I do something wrong ?

Yes, you just missed a step and in the right order is all.
Hopefully you still have that message store backup in a zip file !!! ???
Restore it again just as the instructions says ..but first please... after reading Post #3 please, then go back and read post #1 and open its Time Line spoiler notes, and in there you will see another spoiler that actually lists and talks all about error 0x800C013E - did you not see it ??? <smile>

Before anyone proceeds to complete the tutorial for the first time, they must read and fully Understand ALL the instructions first, there's no way around it.

After you read it, and do the Restore procedures again, then let us know how you make out.

If All the instructions are comprehended, and then followed exactly as listed, you will succeed! All the info is there!
For newer users or for less experienced, I understand it's a lot to take in and read, but really once you get the hang of it - it's really an easy few minute job.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Yes, you just missed a step and in the right order is all.
read post #1 and open its Time Line spoiler notes, and in there you will see another spoiler that actually lists and talks all about error 0x800C013E - did you not see it ???
Hello. So, which step I missed ? The error 0x800X013E is mentioned there, yes, but about reason I didn't understand.
So, I re-did all steps mentioned in your guide:
1). deleted corrupted message store from %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
2). deleted c:\program files\windows mail
3). extracted x64 files from zip archive in it's place (they are winmail.exe and others)
4). extracted and copied msidcrl30.dll (it was already there)
5). run WinMailEdit.reg
6). extracted msoe.dll from update_5-2018.zip and copied
7). extracted from x64-System32.zip several files (it's acctres.dll and others), copied them.
8). run two reg files from archives, it's v1709+.reg and 1709+Update.reg

then restoring from backup:
1). extracted files from my zip backup to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
2). run hkcu_current user… reg file created during backup

Finally, run Winmail.exe - same results - all old messages are there - goes error 0x800C013E when receiving.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    os/2
Hello. So, which step I missed ?

..it was a a rhetorical answer to your question please, and one for you to answer.
We know that the process works, just be sure you are deleting the new corrupted message store folder, and 'copying' it's exact (100% known working) backed up MSF into the same exact address, with no extra nested folders; not overwriting folders or files there, delete first, and place new - to Exact Addresses. The reason is simple for the MSF, it's because of errant xxxx.oeaccount files with different account numbers, and other, that would be along sided, and corrupt on opening.

The same with replacing the Programs folder although not as important, but is merely done out of exactness eliminating user error. The other files elsewhere can be overwritten, but just be sure it actually gets overwritten and not get distracted by any of the Win10 tonedeaf replace prompts. To be clear though, that error you have is more of an MSF issue though, and not a file set.

Also remember, it's imperative that your backup MSF zip file needed to have been Created on your Win7 Laptop BEFORE you even started your Win10 Upgrade (or it Will Corrupt) ..and your WinMail setup on that laptop had to be fully working Before you zipped the working MSF. Yes? No ? Hopefully you even created a partition image of your laptop Before you upgraded as well?

Now if you have done everything correctly (I can't tell without eyes on the sequence) but IF you did, then the error could only be one of a few things
~...is/was your backup zip of your MSF corrupted BEFORE you started upgrade?
~..is it being restored correctly?
~...are you filling out your gmail Account info correctly? ..we had someone here back at post 551 to 561 or thereabouts (tmthywynn8) having an issue with gmail too ..realize he was legally blind which I found amazing he was even attempting what he was doing; his resolve though was evidently an IDM program though. I can't remember all the details but point is it may make for interesting reading for you to hopefully find a lightbulb moment, since he also had a gmail issue.

If you don't figure the problem out straight away and you want to prove it out, and as long as you have a proven Working MSF zip backup (that you can Restore back at anytime again Later) ..then to isolate what the problem really is, just delete your current MSF without replacing it for now, and start WinMail and let it build a new one, and then setup your account manually - I already know your send/receive will work (if you do it correctly)
..and so all things with that error will always point toward a corrupted MSF (or incorrectly filled out gmail accounts info 'after the fact') ..because if it worked on your Win7 laptop (and you can even prove it by restoring the partition image from before you upgraded it and try it and it works) ..then it will work on a transfer after a Win10 upgrade WinMail re-instate.
After typing that thinking about this, all your gmail settings should transfer on a Backup/Restore of the MSF, but perhaps like with just the WM passwords don't and you have to manually enter them, then it's possible? some of gmails fill-in's get left out too? I don't have gmail to test it, and so check that, and if it's so then those would have to be manually filled in too - if you find that's the case, remember the detail, and I can make a note of that in the write-up. Let us know how you make out.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hi Folks, new boy here. I have been using Winmail for many years, transferring it from many compilations of Windows 10. The most recent is an attempt at installing for 1809, but failed miserably. I went through all the procedures in step 2 and got the application to start, but cannot open the accounts box to setup the server details. The selection of the Tools button opens the list including Calendar and Options and they all work, except for the Accounts selection, so I can't set up the server details. Any thoughts....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Clevo W110
    CPU
    CPU Type Mobile QuadCore Intel Core i7-3840QM, 2800 MHz
    Motherboard
    Unknown
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
    Browser
    Opera GX
    Antivirus
    Malwarebytes
I went through all the procedures in step 2 and got the application to start, but cannot open the accounts box to setup the server details.

Any thoughts....

Hello jon and welcome to the Eight Forums

Yes sure there is an answer, but let me point you to one of the last persons post who asked that same question, and the answers in the posts afterwards will be the same for you.
(fwiw, make sure when you copy files to its target locations, don't get fooled by the sometimes confusing Windows 10 replace prompts; iow, make sure you actually follow through with, and making sure the file actually gets placed)

Here's the posts vicinity (as of today anyway) ..it starts at post # 539 link below, and be sure to Also read the few next posts all the way to the final working results given on the next page of post # 542
The Account box is not opening

...Let us know how you make out

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
So any fixes for Win 2004 update as Winmail no longer works on this?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    acer
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender