How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8/10/11

February 2020 Tutorial update,
~ I've added more, and rearranged information in the Backup Restore and Time Line spoilers, for better clarity
~ Re-worded Step 1 of the main instructions, for better clarity
~ I've also added a reminder note into Post 3 for new members.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live
First of all, thank you for this great tutorial.

I have a question ...

Everything went fine and Windows Mail works. However ... today, I was asked for the first time if I want to compact.
I immediately went to the options dialog and unchecked the box 'Compact ... every so and so much runs'.

When I went back to the same dialog, the box was checked again.

I tried to set a different number than 100.

When I went back to the same dialog, the number was set to 100 again.

I went to the registry editor, where I can set the counter back to 0 ... but that is a very unsatisfactory solution.

Does anyone know the registry key where the number is saved? If yes, I simply set it to 9999 and be done with it (and when I get at that point, I set the counter back to 0).

There seems to be no registry key for the number of runs before the annoying dialog asks if I want to compact.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Hello Andreas and welcome to the Eight Forums,

First of all, thank you for this great tutorial.

Thank you.

Andreas did you read post 3 yet please? Your profile still shows your on Windows 8 ? ..Is that true?
Post 3 reminds members to Please give all the needed OS info on your posts that asks questions, so Please first give us complete information in your post so that I can know what information to point you to in the Tutorial, thank you.

FWIW, no matter what though, the WinMail "Compact" and all those Advanced settings are 100% working on Every version of Windows now, providing you applied the directions properly for whatever version of Windows that you really have. (it sounds like you don't have the right msoe.dll (and it's corresponding reg update) for your OS version will cause that exact problem - it's all there, it's for you to place it correctly) ..but again, what version of Windows are you using dictates what post attachments and bit to use?

I tried to set a different number than 100.
When I went back to the same dialog, the number was set to 100 again.

100 is actually a good setting, I always have mine @ 99 and both give a good safety factor to stave off MSC which I won't get into here. Even though the setting goes up to max 999 but these higher numbers can be very problematic!
Anyway, After you set your desired number, and click Close on that box, now here on the Advanced tab box still open ..on its bottom right side - Did you click the "Apply" button? ..because if not, then your choice Will Not take, and revert! :)

Does anyone know the registry key where the number is saved?

Yes that particular registry key location is:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail
..and it's about the 5th one down under
"Compact Check Count"

However since the Tutorial gives you everything to work properly "if you have the right files/reg placed" ..then that is really the only Proper way to do it! ..So you should fix what you have astray please since other stuff must not be working right either ...unless, it's simply that you forgot to click the Apply button to have it actually take hold which you would certainly Not be the first person to make that simple mistake either; if not that though then most likely your msoe.dll versions (or its applicable reg) are incorrect and will cause your exact issue too! Let us know how you make out.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Endeavor,
I just wanted to thank you very much for all of your continued efforts in this process.
I have just successfully carried it all out to the letter and Windows Mail is happily performing on my Windows 10, 1909 system.
Moving my raft of emails from as far back as 2005 onto this machine is the last hurdle I was dreading with the upgrade.
Cheers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
I keep getting a error 0x800C013E when I open WM

Hello Jeffm and welcome to the EightForums,

In regards to that error message, please read Post #3 ..and then read post #1 and open its Time Line spoiler notes, and in there you will see another spoiler that actually lists and talks about error 0x800C013E - did you not see it?
Before anyone proceeds to complete the tutorial for the first time, they must First read and fully Understand the instructions first.

After you read it, and do the procedures again, then let us know how you make out.
If All the instructions are comprehended, and then followed exactly as listed, you will succeed!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
G'day Endeavour

Just a note of thanks for all your work, and also a question.
I don't know why I haven't come across your posts before when searching this topic.

I'm using Windows 8.1 64bit. I've been running WinMail for nigh on 3 years, using just the tweaked Vista 64 file fix. But three things always bugged me:

#1. mailto protocol didn't work Now activated by merging your WinMailEdit reg file
#2. Tools\Options\Advanced Tab delivered a blank Fixed by your "new" msoe.dll file
#3. In Tools\Options\General Tab the <Make Default> buttons are greyed out

Regarding #2, I have no idea why I had this problem as I was using exact same file version viz 6.0.6002.18197 as you - cf. screen shot (my renamed file is at bottom of listing):

1.png

Regarding #3, I've attached a screenshot:

2.png

Now my question.
The right click context menu option Send To <Mail Recipient> doesn't work and delivers the error message below. Is this one of the shortcomings we have to live with?
3.png

Thanking you again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8
G'day endeavor

Just a note of thanks for all your work

Your welcome skippy.

#3. In Tools\Options\General Tab the <Make Default> buttons are greyed out
They are supposed to be greyed out, since it is set default

Regarding #2, I have no idea why I had this problem as I was using exact same file version viz 6.0.6002.18197 as you - cf. screen shot (my renamed file is at bottom of listing)
You have to realize that our modified msoe.dll will still show the same version as the original, even though it IS Different. A hash check with show that, not a version match.

Now my question.
The right click context menu option Send To <Mail Recipient> doesn't work and delivers the error message below. Is this one of the shortcomings we have to live with?
It's interesting skippy that you have an "Outlook" error showing. ..and btw, naturally you cannot have Outlook set as the default mail client, if you want WinMail to be your default client - they are absolutely two different programs.

If you have Windows 8.1 (and as long as you Do Not use any! attachments on post #2) ..and you follow and use the instructions and attachments on Post 1 as written, it will 100% work!

After you run the Post 1 Tutorial
...then as far as Send To> Mail Recipient not working... I was wondering
Go to:
Control Panel> All Control Panel Items> Set Your Default Programs
..Do you have "Windows Mail" listed in there at all?
For instance:
DefaultListings.jpg

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hello again Endeavour

I merely wrote to say how happy I am that my already-functioning-for-3-years WinMail on Windows 8.1 had been improved by loading two of your files to respectively activate the mailto: protocol and populate the Advanced tab. And, to thank you for that.
I do not have any problems.
My first line said: "I don't know why I haven't come across your posts before when searching this topic. So obviously, I haven't been using your WinMail for Windows 8 hack.

I then posed one question. I shall rephrase it.
Should the right click context menu option Send To <Mail Recipient> cause WinMail to open if it is the default email client?
So, I would respectfully ask you for a simple answer, please: Yes or No.

To your comments:

1. I certainly did download it [WinMailEdit.reg.zip] "here" in the last 24 hours as well as Update_5-2018.zip, the ONLY two files I took. And I applied them both to my system just 12 hours ago.

2. My so-called renamed file is xmsoe.dll so as to accommodate your msoe.dll file.

3. Of course I have WinMail set as default.
And I do not have Outlook installed, but that is the error message dialogue window I receive when I choose Send To <Mail Recipient>. However, don't worry about it, I can live without that function.
In any case Windows Mail and Microsoft Outlook happily co-existed in Vista.

Best regards

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8
Yes on Windows 7 i also do have Microsoft Outlook (2010) installed too, with WinMail set as default though. I had installed Outlook since it was so popular and was important to prove that it can co-exist with WinMail, since at that time years ago others had questions about it and I wanted to have the correct hands-on answers. Actually at the moment I am booted over to and posting this message to you via that same Windows 7 OS. You should not be getting that Outlook error prompt though, it is interesting, and so perhaps it is from when or if you used some of your registry entries on your Vista before and you transferred them with the process you used ...that's the only thing I can think of; unless on your current Windows 8 at one time you tried to install Outlook and have leftovers still associated.

Also, actually to say it is also true that the WinMail Default button there can be greyed out if it's not actually set as the Default account too - I have seen that before with others, and if it is true for you - I can help you rectify it and get your mail to recipient to actually work.

Now my question.
The right click context menu option Send To <Mail Recipient> doesn't work and delivers the error message below.
Is this one of the shortcomings we have to live with?

No, you don't have to live with it not working - because it does and can work.
To advise you more I need to know the answer to my last question in my previous post screenshot to you, and is why I asked you.
fyi, I've also sent you a PM this morning.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hello again Endeavour

Firstly, a correction. I did have Outlook installed, that is in a fashion as it would open and then crash. So I have never used it, never set it as the default email client, and thought I had indeed uninstalled it. I have now done that, and here is the "new" error message after clicking Send To <Mail Recipient>.

4.png

And here are two further screenshots of my default email settings:

5.png

6.png

Over to you.
Best regards

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8
Okay that error gui makes sense better, and I did, and can recreate, and resolve that on my own Windows 8 install.

First would be to download and merge the attached reg file on bottom of this message for register.

After you merge that reg, go over this screenshot below (also linked over at Windows 7 Tutorial) which also applies similarly (except for gui colors, etc) to what the Windows 8 gui screens will render with this same task (Not for Win10 though) ..and so to save time I will just use that 7 screenshot to detail these points below for you to follow:
Go though each of the combined screenshots, and mimic what was done in each case, and even though it may show the same as what you already have now, but to set/reset ..still do each one again, click save, apply, or ok, whatever is applicable.
My feeling is that Your fix may be the one on the bottom of the screenshot where it shows Custom, and once you toggle that dot over to 'Windows Mail' and click ok (may have to reboot to set) ..and upon opening after boot, hopefully Send To will work correctly.

Screenshot Detail:
To open screenshot full size requires a log-in to the forum

CheckManually.jpg

Attachments

• RegisterWM.zip
    425 bytes · Views: 120
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Greetings Endeavour

Well that did the trick thank you, very much appreciated.
Only then needed to set the defaults in "Set associations for a program" window, et voilà.
See pic.

7.png

Context menu right click Send To <Mail Recipient> is now working, as well as the Mailto: function.

For good measure, I did the Windows Calendar set up, including the enabling of the associated WinMail toolbar button.
I only want the calendar for occasional large size print-out purposes, not for diarising etc, the very same reason for which I had (unsuccessfully) installed Microsoft Outlook.

I'm a happy man!

Once again, ta muchly and best regards.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8
..you're very welcome..

That's great skippy, I'm very glad it worked out good for you, and good job! :star:

At some point I suppose I should (for Post #1 anyway) is put in a set of screenshots to outline/show the different association prompts that first pop-up for Win8/10, when you first-time open WinMail upon first re-instating it on Win8/10, like I did on the Win7 Tutorial.
Also post screens on how to go through manual associations for each OS, which they (Win8/10) are a little different from each other moreso. The point here like for yours which may have gotten messed-up (un-associated) somehow from other mail client install/uninstalls, or other - but by showing how to do this little 'go over' associations manually task - can jog it to set aright again.
On a new install the WinMailEdit.reg is specifically designed to take care of all of this in order, however there can be unforeseen variables that can arise. For now though that post above instructions on how to manual reset not just one, but 'many different' types of various WinMail association issues will have to do, since the project at some point may slowly be winding down..

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Just thought I'd share another joy with you, Monsieur Endeavour.
I thought I would just try re-installing Microsoft Outlook again, couldn't help myself (after creating a manual System Restore point, of course).
And to my surprise and delight it loaded up instantly. Not sure whether every feature works, but I only want it for the calendar print-out and that is successful. So in all it's been a productive week.
Best regards and happy Easter!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8
Yes they can exist installed simultaneously, but be careful when you start her up (I have Outlook 2010 installed) that prompts come up about being default, and about detecting a new account and would I like to import it, etc, all of these be careful to let WinMail be the default client. (unless you have a complete Partition Backup (or System Restore) if needed to revert.
It may (probably) would work to switch back-n-forth with those defaults, I can't remember if I tested (I'm sure I did) ..like you but for my own reasons of testing support I wanted to make sure Outlook would install and exist with WinMail, and it does (for many years now ..well at least for Win7/8 ..not sure about the latest Win10 builds though)

OT, but MS Outlook does Not have News Groups capability though, which WinMail is excellent with that for sure - and is one of the reasons why, for me, WinMail is my clear choice.
Outlook is OT (off topic) to this Tutorial though, so pardon my momentary indulgence :oops:
Anyway here's what mine looks like today when I started her up just now (not including the prompts mentioned)
log-in required for Full View

MO.jpg

Yes Happy Easter, and Happy Every Day - to you and Everyone!
Be Safe Out There!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hello LPS LiddlePaws and welcome to the EightForums and WinMail..

What I would like to know more is how did you make out re-instating WinMail and how was your experience and success? Were you previously a longtime user of WinMail already and upgraded?

As far as creating themes, well sure anything is possible and each person is free to do what they want, but of course theming is not something that will be outlined in this tutorial at this stage of the game. Actually for me personally I much prefer the original stock theme of WinMail as it is/was from the beginning, the same was true for Outlook Express which btw Windows Mail was given a theme upgrade as well as other upgrades - right from OE itself.

later edit:
...after posting here first, but then checking my email notices, I see my notification of your original post where you had first posted about issues with logging in with gmail verses chrome with WinMail but edited it out an hour later, so I assume you got that worked out now, and so that's good. I mentioned about those types of issues in the spoilers, and yes it's tricky to get the settings right for each one. What was the answer for yours? Just a simple setting change?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hallo, kann mir jemand den Ordner de-DE für deutsches WinMail zur Verfügung stellen? Wenn ich den aus Windows 8 bekomme und en-US lösche kann ich kein Konto in Winmail aufrufen. Vielen Dank

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hello LPS LiddlePaws and welcome to the EightForums and WinMail..

What I would like to know more is how did you make out re-instating WinMail and how was your experience and success? Were you previously a longtime user of WinMail already and upgraded?

As far as creating themes, well sure anything is possible and each person is free to do what they want, but of course theming is not something that will be outlined in this tutorial at this stage of the game. Actually for me personally I much prefer the original stock theme of WinMail as it is/was from the beginning, the same was true for Outlook Express which btw Windows Mail was given a theme upgrade as well as other upgrades - right from OE itself.

later edit:
...after posting here first, but then checking my email notices, I see my notification of your original post where you had first posted about issues with logging in with gmail verses chrome with WinMail but edited it out an hour later, so I assume you got that worked out now, and so that's good. I mentioned about those types of issues in the spoilers, and yes it's tricky to get the settings right for each one. What was the answer for yours? Just a simple setting change?

got it workng, had to turn on a setting from gmail. Oh and this is my first time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    hp
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    oem