How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8/10/11

If you are positive! that no WU happened, or, that you did not pick up malware where both could take effect after a reboot, or in the interim a change in your router, modem, or ISP, or GMAIL servers ...these are the things that seem likely to narrow it down to the cause.

Well, I can definitely say that I am dumb as a post (is that the right phrase?). I went through all the stuff in #575, but didn't think of the obvious -- an update to a program being the culprit. Apparently Internet Download manager version 6.35 Build 9 broke things, so build ten simply said "[f]ixed a critical bug" in the change log. After updating to said build, things are once again working. Honestly, when will I learn to not overlook the simplest of solutions?

I'm a creature of habit, so thanks to endeavor a great deal for enabling me to continue to use Windows Mail until I can no longer do so. I really should switch to something else one of these days, but there's nothing that beats the speed and simplicity of Winmail without being a bigger resource hog.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Version 1607 (OS Build 14393)
..an update to a program being the culprit. Apparently Internet Download manager version 6.35 Build 9 broke things,

I'm glad you got it working, even though it's hard to see how IDM was the cause unless it was somehow grabbing/interrupting the logon process at gmail. I'm a long time user of IDM as well, and I just don't see it, but I can't say 100% though ...fwiw, I'm actually still using b9 and haven't bothered update to b10 yet, and have no problems with b9 or IDM ever affecting WinMail in any way.
Anyway that's all OT and too vague to discuss here, so let's not.

I am just happy you got WM working, and so good job.

..Next Day Edit:
FWIW, while using IDM, I looked, and saw I'm actually using b8 and not b9, and so just for accuracy sake thought I'd mention that as a fyi; also though I use POP and you use IMAP if that even would have mattered.. I guess for yourself if you Really wanted to know for sure, if you Uninstalled b10 and went backwards and installed b9 again - and WM had that problem once again, and then you updated to b10 and then it worked okay, well, then it would be hard to deny that focus.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live
Guys I have Win10 Pro 1909 (newly upgraded from Win7) & have got as far as line 12 and am confused as to what to do next. @Endeavour any ideas? (It doesn't work thus far)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Ult SP1 + Win 10 Pro - (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Intel® Core i7-975 Extreme 3.86 GHz 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Socket 1366 Core i7, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Mem
    Memory
    24GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 6 x 4096MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295/Hauppauge HVR2250 TV Tuner
    Sound Card
    Onboard Soundmax® High definition Sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU
    Case
    Alienware® P2 ALX Chassis with AlienIce 3.0 Video Cooling
    Cooling
    Alienware® High-Perf. Liquid Cooling + Acoustic Dampening
    Keyboard
    Microsoft® Wireless Entertainment 8000 + Logitech® G15 Wired
    Mouse
    Microsoft® Wireless Laser 8000 + Logitech® G9 Wired
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
    Using non-RAID on purpose as I find it too fussy and temperamental.
Guys I have Win10 Pro 1909 (newly upgraded from Win7) & have got as far as line 12 and am confused as to what to do next.

You're going to v1909, so you should not be on Step 12, but instead followed Step 11 and next gone to and executed Post 2 next.
Did you not read Step 11 in its big bold red letters and the underlined text?

11. For Win10 v1709+ / Sever2019+ users only, continue to Post #2 to finish before opening WinMail; otherwise go to step 12
(
anywhere in the tutorial that there's a + after a version number, indicates it also includes all versions beyond that one)

I have meticulously and laboriously detailed and worded every single step, there are no shortcuts here, please take the time to read and understand it. It's easy for advanced users; otherwise do not attempt.

Also, you say you are coming from Windows 7 as an upgrade, then First, as with any major upgrade with Win10 versions now, Make Darn Sure You Have First Read and Understand the Backup/Restore Spoiler First, AND the Timeline note: 7/2019 - and Have The Backups Saved First! ..or, do not proceed with the upgrade, or except the consequences.
..If you did not make a Backup, you will most likely lose all your emails and account info during the upgrade, and so make sure you have a Full Backup of your message store folder and WinMail HKCU as outlined in the B/R spoiler, so that you can easily and quickly Restore them after the 1909 upgrade and be whole again!

All this is meticulously explained, please read and understand first, before proceeding, please, and thank you.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Sorry, I thought it only worked for the stated lower version. My bad. I was all tired and confused anyway as the upgrade took me ages to complete..
OK I will do as you instructed and thanks for everything.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
I thought it only worked for the stated lower version.

As it says in a few places though:
(anywhere in the tutorial that there's a + after a version number, indicates it also includes all versions beyond that one)

Understand the tutorial (especially within the spoilers) is jam packed with information, it's a must read, and to be understood, Before, attempting the latest Win10 upgrades - there's no way around it.
Again to reiterate, if you had a previous fully working WinMail setup installed, it's IMPERATIVE one makes a Backup/Restore of WinMail (as outlined) Before you proceed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
I've got it working now, thanks everyone and especially Endeavor for all the hard work.
Is there any way of stopping Windows insisting on verifying user name and password for every account?
I have 8 email accounts and simply imported the .iaf files backed up in my document folders.
It will mean that I have to a "Forgot Password" routine for all of them as I can't remember what the passwords are/were.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
Is there any way of stopping Windows insisting on verifying user name and password for every account?

When using the Backup/Restore Procedures methods, you will have to enter in those passwords. As it says and I'll copy/paste quote:
..snip..
*The only thing you'll have to do is re-enter the password of your mail and news servers in the Accounts> Properties> Server tab password slots for it (or instead when you first connect to your mail server will prompt you for it to enter, and then checkmark the remember box) ..You should know what your servers name/pass are anyway (have them saved in txt file somewhere)

I too have 7 local accounts, not to mention numerous newsgroups, and having those name/pass saved in a text file, it's just a matter of copy/paste for each account to enter them in. I think it's good security anyway.
I do not like to tell people to use .iaf files simply because I want to make sure that no mixing of account information happens to mess things up; let's say if accounts info has changed since their last Message Store backup, compared to the time they created those .iaf files, then what happens then.

It's the name/pass only that's left out in a Restore of message store backup; everything else (all other account info) is contained within the restore of the backup.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
It's weird, W10 security wants me to enter the account details manually despite importing my backed up .iaf files containing all that information already.
I'm scratching my head at the moment wondering what to do next......not your fault, but I just wondered if anyone had this experience.
In the meantime I'm simply reading my email online at my webmail.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
despite importing my backed up .iaf files containing all that information already.

I've tried to explain in my post above, and also in the Tutorials spoiler notes.
I don't like to mix the two backup methods, and don't like using .iaf with the new Windows Backup/Restore procedures
Mixing of account info between the two methods can and does happen, which can be detrimental.

For one thing when using .iaf files, know that each iaf only contains info for one account only, and so you would need to create one on each and every account, and so if you have 15 accounts you would need to export on each one - HOWEVER, it's known that .iaf files export more than just passwords, they also export it's xxxxxxx.oeaccount info as well as many other things (edit them and see for yourself) The Backup/Restore procedure I give (no .iaf exports or imports needed or wanted) gets EVERYTHING at once (except name/pass) (security feature) ..however the latest Win10 upgrades (I've seen myself) ..change those xxxxx.oeaccount names, etc, and so here's where mixing comes in where in your new updated message store folder contains one unique xxxxxx.oeaccount numbers which was changed by the upgrade, and then you merge an old .iaf file which had another - and you have a mismatch and incorrect info - it gets complex.

That's why I say, and I stand by the exact procedure of the Backup/Restore method, which contains EVERYTHING needed (except name/pass) (security precaution)
...and in the process of my Backup/Restore method, which includes after the upgrade you delete the new message store folder created and the new corrupted info along with it, and place the last saved working backup message store folder in its place, which automatically takes care of everything preventing mixing. The last working backup contains everyting needed, it worked before and it will work again. By the nature of the delete of the new one removes the new xxx.oeaccount files, etc, etc, created by the upgrade which are not compatible with the old, etc, etc, etc, on many levels x10.
It's too much to explain every single time to each person, sorry.
Either do the Backup/Restore procedure completely and correctly (which Peter you did not I can tell) ..or move on to another email client going forward.

All the info is in the tutorial, including spoilers, of which to explain every mi-nute detail more than what I have, would take too many pages besides what I already give in Post 1 & 2 ...and I can tell people don't read completely what I have there already in the first place, you haven't <g> .. <g> I want to be considerate and respectful, but at the same time frank..

People either need to do it the right way the first time, as outlined in Post 1 & 2, including the Backup/Restore procedure - No Exceptions anymore! ..or move on to another supported email client.

Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Well then I'm screwed. I'll have to set up everything from scratch regarding email accounts. I have always backed WM that way. My eyesight is getting so bad that I can't read large buches of text very easily so tend to look for things I'm familiar with.
Thanks and sorry to trouble you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
I want to keep the tutorial as short as I can, while being as accurate as I can.
It's complex yes; yet simple.
It does require a full read, no skipping around, no impatience, again requires a Full Read and most importantly a Full Understanding Before anyone proceeds, which includes a full Backup of the Backup/Restore Procedures beforehand - Especially for Windows 10!
There is no way around it.
It's as easy as ever, but takes understanding and commitment. It's not for everyone to do.

I know Peter you have been around a long time, and are a respected member of many forums.

I am very sorry for your eyesight! ..If I was at your house I would do it for you.

Peace & Respect to you!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
I have 8 email accounts and simply imported the .iaf files backed up in my document folders.
It will mean that I have to a "Forgot Password" routine for all of them as I can't remember what the passwords are/were.

If you have the accounts previously working on another instance, you can use BulletsPassView from Nirsoft to recover the passwords. This is quite useful if you don't have them stored somewhere, e.g., in a password manager, text file, etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Version 1607 (OS Build 14393)
Thanks Endeavor and tmthywynn8 - much appreciated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
That BulletsPassView tmthywynn8 pointed out in his last post above, works very well after adjusting options and a quick curve how to use it, I tested it the other day, but obviously it must be used Before any upgrades when WinMail accounts are working correctly; naturally it's best to have them already saved in a text file beforehand. I've used other softwares before that does the similar thing to Reveal the password or code behind the xxxxx bullets; with WinMail you'll still need the server username iirc. Anyway I put a link to this program in the Backup/Restore procedure now, thank you. It may come in handy for those who've forgotten their password and don't have them saved somewhere, but please don't let that happen. How hard is it anyway when you first setup any mail Client (or any software) to save name/passwords into a text file, and have it available when you need it - come on it's basic things to do!

fwiw, I for one am not in any hurry to rush to 'upgrade' Win10 to v1909 on my main towers; even for WinMail users I don't recommend it unless you're very hip, into it, and have full partition backups of C:\ beforehand no matter what to be prepared, to be able to Fully and properly revert/restore. Always be 100% in full control of your computer.
I personally prefer to wait for an actual ISO download instead of bloaty upgrades, and then fresh install that from scratch; the heck with bloaty upgrades it's not my thing. When finished with the iso fresh install and setting up the OS, then the re-instate WinMail procedure, and then use the Backup/Restore procedure to bring my previous up to date fully working WinMail setup, into the new version OS.

I still love using Windows 8 and Windows 7 anyway, and use them all the time; even right now typing this message on. I'm never in any hurry or feel pressured to update to the supposed latest and greatest. As for WinMail on each of my OS's, when needed, I swap the full message store over onto each one when I need to ..click, click, click and in a minute it's done.
Restoring or Transferring a complete full message store backup is very easy, I do it all the time. I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Anyway I've updated the Tutorial changing around Step 2 to Step 1 and some re-wording as well. I want to make very sure that people know not to update or upgrade Windows 10 unless you make a full WinMail Backup using the Backup/Restore procedures, first!

Just to keep up though, I've also taken the time to install and test WinMail on v1909, everything went fine of course, and then posted the working WinMail screenshot of that as I always do, on post 2

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Great job Endeavor !! :D:cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
I had to restore my win 10 from the restore option and now i lost all of emails that were in win mail? Is there a storage i can retrieve them from?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
I had to restore my win 10 from the restore option and now i lost all of emails that were in win mail? Is there a storage i can retrieve them from?

Hello stiffler,

You did not really take the time to explain any needed details though; however, if you created a zip backup of the message store folder as the Step 1 instructions points you to the Backup/Restore procedures to do - did you create a backup?
..If yes, then you can never lose any messages as long as you have that backup zip of it.
Rather than me keep retyping the procedure here though, go back and read the backup and restore instructions on what to do, completely, and understand it.
Once your backup is made of the message store folder, you can never lose anything, it'll always be there within your latest dated backup zip of your message store folder, simply restore it as directed. It's easy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
never made a back up sadly.

It is sad.. please never make that mistake again.

Don't understand how i lost all of them from a restore a few days back?

What restore? How can you make a restore of it - if you did not create a backup?

All the information and answers to any questions you could ever want to know about WinMail, has been continuously and laboriously written into the Post 1 & 2 tutorials. I update it constantly to cover every detail that could possibly ever come up.
Please, Please take the time to read and understand it, BEFORE, letting Windows 10 do any updates on itself.

It's so easy to make a WinMail Message Store Backup, and as I said, can be a lifesaver when you need to use it, and Everyone Will !

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Back