How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8/10/11

I wanted to mention that I've edited the Post 1 tutorial. ..I've removed the older 2012 introduction writeup for simplicity sake and brevity, and efficiently re-worded some of the Backup/Restore paragraphs for better clarity.

Please let me know if any of the spoiler buttons don't work/open for anyones browser - but they should work for all.
I like to use Spoiler buttons simply because it makes the main WinMail tutorial look simpler, while at the same time the spoiler buttons offer more in-depth info within.

- - - - -

Because of the last few posters experiences I've also added a new 7/2019 listing within the "Time Line Note" spoiler. It answers the 0x800C013E or 0x800C103C error questions for WinMail members here, but also importantly serves it up for all Google hits going forward, and will lead anyone right to the article on how in 2019 to properly resolve the emergence of those old generic WM error messages of 0x800C013E or 0x800C103C.

So besides what I've re-worded better within the main "Backup/Restore" instructions spoiler on Post 1.. ..also see the next spoiler "Important Time Line Notes" near the bottom "Note: 7/2019"

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live
By merge do you mean to just open the zip and let install from the copy on my computer? (I have the file stored on a different hard drive so should this be placed on my desktop or something for the merging?) I have done this before but it has been a long time.. and I want to be sure I do it right. My win 10 will be updating to the newest version soon. (I delayed it for a short while)
"10.. ...continued only for Win10, v1709 - v1903 including Server 2019
...you'll now need to extract and copy/paste the contents of these extra x86 (or) x64 file attachments below 'as is' to the System32 folder, and then also merge the '2' attached .reg files (reg is for both x86/x64) ."

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win7
By merge do you mean to just open the zip and let install from the copy on my computer? "
Hello lastone and welcome to the Eight Forums

Merge of course only refers to the attached Registry files, where you right click on them and select Merge (or double click to process a Merge does the same thing) ..which adds the contained information into the registry.

The zip files of course get extracted and then you simply copy/paste their contents of files to their destination

Remember please, these WinMail tutorials are for Advanced Computer Users Only.
Honestly, and respectfully, if one does not understand the basic concept and meaning of merging a reg file, or about a zip file, then these WinMail tutorials should NOT be attempted at all. Thank you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Thank you for the reply, I had done this before on win10 but that was several months ago, I need my email and the one with win10 just won't work for me. I just forgot how I did it. I do know how to do zip files.
Did I mention I hate win10.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win7
Wonder if anyone can help - recently updated to v. 1903, did all the procedures as usual, WM starts up, all in place, messages are being received but nothing could be done with them - they could not be replied or forwarded, even new messages cannot be created - WM just closes without any error. It can be started again, but nothing helps - I cannot either create or reply any messages. What am I doing wrong or what did I miss?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
Hello Haunted,

Hopefully you did a 'Backup' of the 'Backup & Restore Procedure' as mentioned and outlined in Post #1?
Going forward you will need to Always have a Backup of it BEFORE doing an upgrade!
Users ran into similar things a few weeks ago that I've replied to.
Also remember the last time I replied to you back in May
..also noticing the date of your post back then as 5/2018, and new Tutorial attachments were also given, just be sure you have the latest attachments.

Please tell me you have previously made a 'Backup' of the 'Backup & Restore Procedure'...?
...and if you Restore it and I'm pretty sure it will solve your problems.
If by chance you did not make a message store backup :oops: ..then hopefully you at least have a dated C:\ partition image backup, so that you can restore or extract the dated message store out of that..!

I think later today I am going to edit Post 1 and add that in, making sure that creating a 'Backup' of the 'Backup & Restore Procedure' is one of the Steps now, to ensure that everyone does it now..

Edit:
I've just now edited the Tutorial and added this into the Steps as #2, to make sure it's now listed as one of the main steps.

It seems it's ESPECIALLY important for any upgrades with v1903 and probably from now on. It seems this upgrade is corrupting the message store folder, and so it's a MUST that anyone upgrading needs to have a current Backup of it Before proceeding! ...it's really easy to do though, and can certainly Save The Day in just a few minutes of a small effort, before, and after - to get a glorious result!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Thanks reply - I did registry backup to ensure all settings stay in place, and I skipped messages backup since it is not that important for me, they are additionally stored elsewhere so I can always redownload them.

What do I need to do to make sure messages are being opened and can be replied / forwarded? I cannot even create a message...
Should I delete all Windows Mail related data in AppData/Local... etc?

Ok, no backup, no partition, what do I do? Wipe all WM data fm machine and try install anew?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
Thanks reply - I did registry backup to ensure all settings stay in place, and I skipped messages backup since it is not that important for me, they are additionally stored elsewhere so I can always redownload them.

I can't imagine in any scenario how you can say it's not important to do a backup of the the complete procedures given?
I don't think you really understand the entire importance of this.. but it's all explained in great detail in the Backup/Restore write-up.

Ok, no backup, no partition, what do I do? Wipe all WM data fm machine and try install anew?

Well yes in a way,
At this point after you've already ran the tutorial with what you have, and if you have no backup of the message store folder, and you're having the problems you explain, you'll have to do everything the long way around fo fix it.
..if you don't have a backup to do it, then to remove the corruption, you simply close WinMail, and 'Delete' the folder
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
(If you haven't already you then also merge the good backup reg that you made while it was all setup and fully working:
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail")
..so now when you start WinMail since you don't have a message store backup in it's place, it will instead create a brand new one with all stock blank folders, blank accounts, etc, and it'll create blank new account #'s ...and then you proceed the long way around to set it all up again..

Please make a message store backup next time ..trust me on this

All the best...

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
You then merge the good backup reg (that you made of it while it was all setup and fully working) ..of:
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail"

And this was the culprit! "Good backup" of 1709 does not like freshly installed WM on 1903!

Maybe worth making a note? Maybe I am not alone with this?

Now configuring WM interface from scratch; I think I can make it tho :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
And this was the culprit! "Good backup" of 1709 does not like freshly installed WM on 1903!

Respectfully, with what you quoted of mine in your post above, it's Not the culprit that broke it when it comes to:
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail"
...whether it's exported from Vista or you export it from Win7/8/10 - this key is only a persons user settings, it contains all settings for the WinMail GUI Layout ..all Tools> Options Settings, Columns, Rules, etc. and is not specific to which OS version - it's the same on all OS's, and with "Rules" usage then as long as you keep the HKCU export used in conjunction with the same dated working (not corrupted) message store folder you're fine:
I'm not sure what reg you really actually exported and merged.. <g>
I regularly merge my latest exports of this HKCU key (thousand times) into All WinMail OS's I work on, Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Server ..does not matter which one, and it works every single blessed time!

Now configuring WM interface from scratch; I think I can make it tho

Sorry you had to go through it the long way with all these hours of unnecessary trouble.
When I say after you upgraded to 1903, if you followed every detail in the tutorial properly using a working message store backup with everything else given, it really only takes a few minutes to restore WinMail, seriously, it's that easy once you understand.

"Good backup" of 1709 does not like freshly installed WM on 1903!

The truth of the matter as I said previously, is the 1903 upgrade causes previous xxxxx.oeaccount files to be overwritten while adding new ones, overwriting other files in the message store folder, essentially causing corruption and the resulting problems. Afterwards along with re-doing post 1 & 2 tutorials again, which includes a restore of a good working Message Store folder matched with it's same dated proper backup HKCU reg ..will fix it!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Thanks, I don't mind restoring, I personally don't like backups (as mentioned earlier, my messages are stored elsewhere).

I am still very happy that my beloved WM works on 1903 (and hopefully will work any younder); I don't mind configuring all
settings anew. Thank you Endeavor for all the work you've made, and please keep it up!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
I personally don't like backups

Once you do a proper restore and it works, saving you hours of time setting up, you will instead LOVE them!
..even if you keep a store of your emails on the server, or wherever - those are not immune to loss either; but you'll still have to setup all your accounts again, folder structures, etc, starting from the beginning, so why bother! ..instead do a message restore that takes care of all of that. Also with a one second one click merge of your HKCU backup - to instantly put those settings aright is very nice too!

I am a stickler for details, I need to be, and good at it, so excuse my loving persistence..

I am glad you got her back up and running, sorry you had trouble with it.

Next time Before you upgrade, humor me, take an easy few minutes to have/make a full backup of what's in that Backup/Restore spoiler, and so if your next upgrade breaks, take a few minutes to click a few buttons to do a restore of your backups, and enjoy how easy and all-encompassing it works, please.

Thank you for your support, and have a great day..

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Endeavor,

It might be helpful to modify #11 in the Posting number one which currently reads:

11. For Win10 v1709+ & Sever2019+ users only! - continue to Post #2 to finish before opening WinMail; otherwise go to step 12
(click this spoiler for more info within)

to include 1903 in addition to 1709. It is not readily obvious that when upgrading to 1903 you need to continue to Post #2.

As always, thanks for your great support. Now up and running on 1903.

Don

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10
Hello Don,

That's why it says v1709+ ...the + where I use it in this tutorial means everything beyond that point, which of course means and covers v1709, 1803, 1809, 1903, etc, just as all the screenshots show in post 2.
...even the post 2 header says Windows 10 v1709 - v1903+ which means v1709 through 1903+ ..and here for 1903+ means even beyond 1903 (..we hope <g>)

I thought that all was perfectly understood..? ..maybe not?

I try not to get too wordy in the Tutorial, for instance, for Step 11 (as with quite a few others) I try and keep the wording to less that one line if I can. ..Because of the all the complexities the tutorial is long enough as it is; I keep it brevity at every chance.

However to cover all bases, I did put this note at the end of the spoiler Time Line Notes:
"Note: Anywhere in this tutorial that there's a + after a version number, indicates it also includes all versions beyond that one."

Thank you for your reply and support...

..fwiw, to also respond to another inquiry, I also added a <tidbit> at the end of the Time Line Notes, which is self-explanatory.

Edit:
I also added that + explanation directly after Step 11 now ..as a reminder about what the + indicates.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Anyone tried "OE Classic"? It works very similar to Outlook Express and Windows Mail without all the troubles of installing Windows Mail in Windows 10. I installed Windows Mail in Win 10 version1703. After Upgrade to version 1709 Windows Mail was gone and the procedure startet again. With the next upgrade it will be probably the same.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    OS Win7x86/Win10x64
I installed Windows Mail in Win 10 version1703. After Upgrade to version 1709 Windows Mail was gone and the procedure startet again. With the next upgrade it will be probably the same.

Yes as it says WM will be reverted, and so you just run through the tutorial again to fix it. All of this is mentioned in the tutorial.

imho, WM is really for those who have used OE or WM for many many years of their past, and they liked it enough they don't feel like changing, and this tutorial simply gives them a way to keep using it.

Those that have not used WM before, then there's no need to start now and just move on to your own choice of clients, which there are many to chose from. It's all a matter of choice. Yes it's true, WM (WinMail) ..to keep it running these days on Win10 does require some extra persistence, along with a little work to do it..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
I have installed WM in Win 10 1903 32 bit. Basically it works. But the accounts window does not come. If I click on extras/accounts simply nothing happens. So it is not possible to install any account.

I have copied the whole user folder of a working WM installation from Win 7 for test reasons. Now the accounts are there, the mails are there, but the account window still does not show up.

Anybody any idea?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    OS Win7x86/Win10x64
I have installed WM in Win 10 1903 32 bit. Basically it works. But the accounts window does not come. If I click on extras/accounts simply nothing happens. So it is not possible to install any account.

Anybody any idea?

...If this is your first time setting up WinMail now with Post #2 for Win10 Os version 1709+ ? ..understand the complete tutorial (Post 1&2) is jam packed with information, especially within the spoilers, there are so many nuisances to know! ..be sure to take the time to read and understand thoroughly.

Usually people run into problems with that Account button not opening, which is accessed via:
Tools> Accounts
Normally it's because the wrong version' ACCTRES.dll in the System32 folder can cause that Accounts button not to open, or, the acctres.dll.mui that goes in the System32\en-US folder to match it - surly if that mui is missing it Will cause just the the Accounts button to be inactive, and not open when you click it..
...Both of these files are given in post 2...

If you did not play with changing languages files and have the correct given version ACCTRES.dll given placed in the 'System32' folder, then just make sure you also actually have placed the given acctres.dll.mui in the 'System32\en-US' folder to match it.
..iow, when you are copy/pasting both these files make sure (as with all files here) pay attention to the prompts, make very sure they actually get placed, and if applicable, make sure it actually overwrites if there's already ones there!
...check version numbers . . . the ones given in Post 2 Are Correct, and Will Work! ..if you did everything else correctly.

...do it again

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
I use WM for al long time now with Win 7. But as the support for Win 7 will end soon...

I had installed WM for the first time in Win 10 1607 64 bit. After upgrade to 1709 it was gone. I installed it again. All went well. The same procedure than with upgrade 1803. So I know the procedure.

Now it is another device with Win 10 1903 32 bit. So I wondered what went wrong this time. All installed simple in English, no other languages.

Thanks for the reply. It was my idea also that I have overlooked a dll or .mui which is necessary for the accounts window. I will look again. I just wondered if the procedure will not work with 1903.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    OS Win7x86/Win10x64
Back