How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8/10/11

Hello enedeavor,

I haven't explained the bug with progress panel in details, sorry. This is how you can see it:

Open the Windows Mail and after it finished to check the last mails, double-click on the right message on the status bar (let's assume that it shows "No new messages"). You will see the progress panel with the results of last check. Note the button
"Details >>" or "<< Details". This panel has two looks: default compact with the progress indicator only and expanded with Tasks and Errors tabs. By default, it should not show the lower tabs when all operations were successful, and should switch to expanded only when some errors occurred or user switched it manually by pressing "Details >>".

However, because of the bug, the expanded state, once it happened, cannot be switched back to default compact permanently. So, even if you press "<< Details" and the panel becomes compact, when you exit WM and launch it again, the panel will be opened expanded. You cannot change it to compact look by default after any single error happened. So, need to reset its default look manually by modifying the Registry (so I added that simple reg file).

Another note from my experience: in the instruction (6) you suggest to copy the file msidcrl30.dll to System32 directory. I think this is a bit excessive, this file can be copied to Windows Mail directory instead like msoe.dll etc. Although on Windows 7 it's a system DLL, on Windows 8 it can be "demoted" and counted as local DLL because it is not used by any other system program. At least in my Windows 8.1 and without Calendar installed. Could you try the same on your systems, it would be interesting to know?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro; Windows 11 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-12700K (Alder Lake)
    Motherboard
    Asus PRIME Z690-M Plus D4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus GeForce 1050 Ti, 4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philips 235PQ
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 (FHD)
    Hard Drives
    Windows 8.1: Samsung SSD 980 PRO, 500 GB (M.2)
    Windows 11: Samsung SSD 870 EVO, 500 GB (SATA)
    PSU
    Platimax D.F. 1050 W (80 Plus Platinum)
    Browser
    Google Chrome
Hello endeavor,
[....]
I haven't explained the bug with progress panel in details, sorry.
[....]

It's not a bug per-sey really, it's how MS coded it. Also, your reg is simply deleting the s/r spooler dialog position folder key, and that's what keeps memory of where you want to have that informational s/r GUI box located on the screen when you click s/r.
..iow, I always dragged/adjusted the same GUI right to the bottom middle of the screen, I like and prefer it that way, I don't want to change it. I also want my s/r dialog Always Opened (expanded) because I like to look at it going though all the accounts I have, and is why I like to specifically bottom center it to fit!
Now you can delete that folder key all you want, but on every WinMail start it will rewrite itself anew; although you're right it will be minimized until you click the Details tab, or, an Error happens in an s/r function ..but whichever happens first it sticks.
It's not that it just stops it from minimizing because of an account message error though, but also if you prefer, like I do, if you select to click the Details button and expand it, and that also will from then on, leave it expanded and also prevent it from going back to the minimized state. Honestly I actually prefer it that way and as I said, I don't want to put it back.
..Just now checking my Vista tower and boot her up, LoL, it's the same behavior on Vista too, and see I already had it set for that s/r dialog box to be expanded so many years ago to be open full there too.
I also booted to and checked Win7/8/10 and they All have the same happening.
So, it's not something that needs to be fixed really; however if you like to have yours minimized that's perfectly fine, then just delete the SpoolerDlgPos every time you click Details or get an error, and be happy :)

About the language files, I've already spent the time and answered your question in post #498, in detail, and yet you've not acknowledge that post in any way... :eek:

PS,
...and about the msidcrl30.dll, I've already answered that question before to others and in my original post. Yes you can put it to the Programs folder, but as I said, it's originally pointed/coded to the System32 folder and that's where I am going to leave it, and why would I want to change it there's no point. It came from there in Vista, and it stays there here, and as far as you saying it's excessive, I would say it's excessive not to put it where it belongs, and there's no need for me to test that any further. ;)

However, it is nice to know that for those who don't like to have that S/R GUI always expanded, that there is a way to keep it minimized, even if at least it's only till the next error or Details tab click; but then now, if you want it back minimized just merge the reg, and so for that, nice find, and thank you Slavic!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live
Hi Everyone,
Just updated to new machine with Windows 10 Pro for Workstations and Server 2019 (1809) dual boot.
Everything is working fine with winmail.exe and my backup from Server 2012R2.
Thanks for your continuing support.
Now I'm on to winhlp32.exe for those old applications that have rtf-based help.
Regards,
Mike

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Server 2016 Standard and Windows 8.1 Enterprise VM (Hyper-V)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell/Precision M6800
    CPU
    Intel i7-4930 @ 3.0-3.2GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell
    Memory
    32.0 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4600 and Nvidia Quadro K3100M
    Browser
    IE11, FF 61.0.2
    Antivirus
    Viper, Malwarebytes
Hi Everyone,
Just updated to new machine with Windows 10 Pro for Workstations and Server 2019 (1809) dual boot.
Everything is working fine with winmail.exe and my backup from Server 2012R2.
Thanks for your continuing support.
Now I'm on to winhlp32.exe for those old applications that have rtf-based help.
Regards,
Mike

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10 pro
Hello everyone,
perhaps someone can help me regarding Windows Mail (winmail.exe) on Windows 10.
After a lot of hours and having read many proposals I succeeded in activating Windows Mail on
Windows 10 Pro. But there is still an awful bug. I cannot open the window for the email accounts.
When I click on this button nothing happens. Is there anybody who is able to tell me how to solve this problem?
Best regards
Cassius

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10 pro
Hi Cassius,
>>When I click on this button....
What button?
Do you mean when you choose menu item Tools/Accounts..., that no dialog appears?
accounts.jpg

If you can't access above dialog, not sure I know what's going on unless you did not put last patches in for Win10.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Server 2016 Standard and Windows 8.1 Enterprise VM (Hyper-V)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell/Precision M6800
    CPU
    Intel i7-4930 @ 3.0-3.2GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell
    Memory
    32.0 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4600 and Nvidia Quadro K3100M
    Browser
    IE11, FF 61.0.2
    Antivirus
    Viper, Malwarebytes
Hello Cassius22 and welcome to the Eight Forums

...there is still an awful bug

There is no bug at all like that all, if done correctly.

...After a lot of hours and having read many proposals

Hopefully you did not combine other methods from elsewhere, with the one here?

You need to provide Much Better information and details including screenshots if necessary.
For instance you don't even say which specific build of Win10 are you using? ..and it matters!

I can not even imagine what you did to cause the Accounts button not to open, if that is really what you mean? I've never even heard of that one yet.

Have you only used the files and reg's from post 1 (or 2 if appropriate) or did you also use and mix other methods?
Do you have any other email clients installed at the same time?

This tutorial is only for advanced computer users, all others should not even attempt please, thank you.
If you have the ability and understand, then following the instructions properly you will Always succeed.

Delete all the files you installed and start over, unfortunately though if you installed improper registry information not meant for your setup, unless you have backups to revert to, then this is just one reason of many why I say this is for advanced users; but you'll need to remove them by a restore method one way or the other.

If WinMail is installed on a 'fresh' Win10 OS, then any version or build when installed correctly using Post 1 (also do Post 2 for newer builds) ..it will work every single time, tested and proven thousands of times.

Thank you, and please let us know how you finally resolved your problem.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hi,
my system was an upgraded Windows 7. It definitely did not work. I deleted everything and installed
Windows 10 Pro from a DVD (2016). Now it went very easily. I used the Windows Mail x64 Folder from
Windows 7, added ACCTRES.dll, MSIDCRL30.dll and WinMailEdit.reg. And that was it. Winmail.exe startet instantly on Windows 10. Even the window for the email accounts opened now. Although Winmail works completely in German the account window shows everything in English. Seems to be a special issue, but is no problem for me. Now I am happy with it and have no further questions.
Cassius

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10 pro
Thank you for coming back and letting us know.
Even if using an upgrade from Win7 to Win10, you would have to complete all the same steps in the tutorial, but it would still work.
However imho a fresh Win10 install is always preferred if one can tolerate the longer reinstalling process.
Sounds like you are using Win10 pre v1709 and so that only requires the steps on Post #1. If you applied post #2 steps though then it would break it.
It sounds like you did not use the attachment files but used your own, that's fine but you won't have a functional Tools> Options> Advanced tab, etc.
You'll have to stop it from upgrading past v1709 or it will break what you have though, and each major update will break WinMail and to fix it you'll have to do the proper steps in the tutorial again.
fwiw, you can also bring your complete previous message store and account setup with you from your x64 Win7 setup.
All of this is above is Completely outlined in Post 1 (incl spoilers) & Post 2

Actually I was going to collect all the files necessary for each language and offer them up in Post #3 with instructions, but since WinMail is slowly winding down I just never followed through with it and have no immediate plans to do that now.

Winmail works completely in German the account window shows everything in English
This is simply because you need the corresponding German mui's in place for it to show.

I'm happy for you Cassius to have it working, nice job.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Good morning and thank you very much for everything here, it was helpful.
But I have a question.
How do I put the program into Spanish? I will appreciate it a lot.

Greetings.
_________________________________________________________________________________
edit_1:
I got the Spanish files but when I start it gives an error, I suppose it must be something in the registry (.REG) that is missing.

I speak of the folder es-ES (msoeres.dll.mui, WinMail.exe.mui) inside Winmail and the file (acctres.dll.mui) that goes in System32 / es-ES
_________________________________________________________________________________
edit_2:
I managed to walk in Spanish, it is not the same version of aca (win7), it is Windows Vista but it works.

Greetings.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
...Future Post Placeholder...
Had Winmail installed on my first W10 version per your directions, then the last windows update came and I mistakenly loaded it in. So I lost everything. Followed the above directions and I have the program working again, however I cannot get the Accounts to open so I can enter the email name, pw etc. Any ideas? Any idea if I can retrieve my old emails?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell/Inspiron 3647
    Browser
    IE 11
Hello joejean and welcome to the Eight Forums.

Which version of Win10 are you using?
When a WU (Windows Update) breaks WM you'll need to completely re-run post 1 again (and post 2 tutorial if you have Win10 version higher than 1709) If you did each step right then it will work!

Usually people run into problems with that Account button not opening, which is accessed via:
Tools> Accounts
..besides happening from not placing a few files right, it can also happen when they start trying different Languages and changing dll versions and mui's not knowing exactly which ones or what to do. Were you playing with changing Languages by chance?

Anyway, usually it's the 'wrong version' ACCTRES.dll in the System32 folder can cause that Accounts button not to open, or, the acctres.dll.mui that goes in the System32\en-US folder to match it - which surly if that mui is missing it Will cause just the the Accounts button to be inactive, and not open when you click it (both files are given in post 2)
I've actually seen that Account button not open for myself a few times when I was working on changing Languages around when I was 'on purpose' testing different versions of dll's & language mui's, and notice those nuisances.

If you did not play with Languages and you have the correct given version ACCTRES.dll placed in the 'System32' folder, then just make sure you also actually have placed the given acctres.dll.mui in the 'System32\en-US' folder to match it.

..click spoiler to open..
Speaking of Language changes other than English though, requires a different ACCTRES.dll version (and other dll's that are not given in this tutorial) for that language to display throughout WinMail completely. Vista or Win7 are not affected though simply because MS automatically provides the proper Language mui's for each of those OS's latest dlls - but that's not the case with Win10 they do not give them - and that's the hassle - and so we must instead use the older ACCTRES.dll, INETRES.dll, and msoert2.dll along with their older matching version mui's must be changed to display some languages in WinMail 'completely' in every option; sometimes you can get away with less. There is more than one way to do it, and also you can use different sets of files to accomplish it - this is why I have not covered the Language change subject in this tutorial yet as it gets complicated (although can be simple if you get it) ..Also to change back to English requires to put the System32 folder dll's back in place to match what's given in the tutorial. And so yes you can choose any other non-English Language to use for Win10 in WinMail providing you use the right combination of dll's and mui's for it (not specifically outlined how to do that in the tutorial yet)
Actually I now have English, Spanish & Russian installed on all my Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10 version OS's, in both x64 & x86 bit on my towers (8 OS's) for testing and it all works fine, as long as for Win10 that if I want to change back to English - that I simply put the right dll versions back in place.
..fwiw, it's not the dll's that give language translations, but the mui files are the translation; however in some cases requires to keep those files version matched for the process to work fully and consistently.

Anyway I digressed here, but again if you were not playing with language changes - then your Accounts button not opening issue, can only be one of two things as mentioned in the first few paragraphs.

Any idea if I can retrieve my old emails?

On post 1 i give specific instructions on what to do for keeping backups of your message store. Did you do that?
Normally, a WU will not remove or change your message store folders at all. If by chance something you did deleted or corrupted your message store, then simply use the Backup/Restore instructions within the spoiler on post 1; however, if you never made a message store backup in the first place, then that's your fault I'm very sorry you didn't. Going forward you must do it if you want to be able to restore in case of need.
Using WinMail on Windows 10 is really only for very hearty experienced computer users, and all others should really not do it.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Wow! I did miss the actress.dll.mui file. Got it in place and that was the answer. Can't thank you enough!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell/Inspiron 3647
    Browser
    IE 11
Hello Endeavor !!!!!

Greetings from Lima.....

I don't know if you have had time to play and test WINMAIL with the newer versions of Windows 10.

I am currently using it in my PC running version 1809, OS version 17763.615 and it works perfectly without any problem.

I am also testing it in a test PC running Windows Insider Program newer versions and the latest version I have been able to make it work is version 1903, build 18932.1000. Unfortunately, it has stopped working with last week's release 18936.1000.

Although I do not exclude an error from my side, it would appear to be that some additional changes have been made by MS in this version.

In this version, WINMAIL opens up normally and it shows all folders and accounts the way it should, but it is unable to send or receive emails. When sending it shows a message "An Error Has Occurred" and the only option is to close the error message window.

When trying to receive, it connects to the server, requests username/password if not saved and "reads" supposedly downloadable emails, but hen it fails again with error 0x800C103C.

One thing I have noted is that the upgrade from 18932.1000 to 18936.1000 compresses the folder USER\APPDATA\LOCAL\Microsoft\Windows Mail. I turned the folder compression OFF but the problem persists, so it would appear the problem is elsewhere.

Will make some more tests and report.

JCC2

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Just wanted the THANK all of the Developers and testers who helped change this old WinMail program so that it works so well on Windows 10 Pro x64 Feature 1903 OS build 18362.239 level. It took the Feature 1903 DVD 1.3 hours to successfully take a Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 system up to Windows 10 on 7/15/2019. I was amazed when an ATI HDTV Wonder ATSC TV Tuner card (circa 2005) was working in minutes after installing the SichboPVR and LAV Filters codecs! Bravo! Now all was NOT without its challenges! One thing that the Feature 1903 DVD did was to bring in many of the C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData items including the WinMail items, unmodified (of course). This caused WinMail to FAIL with 0x8007013C every time it tried to receive or send an E-Mail to Google's POP3 servers. Since I had already exported the Contacts (.CSV file) and all Mail folders before the Win/10 update effort, I decided to totally DELETE all of the subdirectories and files in C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail subdirectory. This was followed by a fresh start of WinMail.exe from the Desktop icon. I observed that the new files were recreated with fresh data, etc. Then I performed the Imports of Contacts and Messages. I setup the Google account and VOILA!!! Everything WORKED as expected! Now my spouse has been able to perform her E-Mail duties without interruptions. Account does have Administrator privilege.
My ONLY issue is that the WinMail application does NOT appear as a Choice to set as a Default Application setting in Windows/10 Pro Mail application. My spouse does NOT use mailto: functions, so this has NOT impacted her. I did see the Icon for WinMail in the "spoilers" pictures on this web page, yesterday, but I only get the normal Windows 10 Mail and "purchase from Microsoft Store" icons in my choice list. I went through a bunch of Registry settings checks but did not find anything that stood out. I DID use the ORIGINAL WinMailEdit.reg file that has the two Registry deletions at the end of that .reg file. I manually copied that file and then deleted those two sets of lines and saved. A "comp" command then verified that the new .reg file and my edited one were IDENTICAL.

THANKS All! ChevITguy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo M58p
    CPU
    intel Core-2 Duo E8500
    Memory
    4 GBytes
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 23470
    Browser
    Microsoft Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Sorry for the Error Code TYPO in my append (after reading it three times before posting ): 0x800C103C is the correct error code I was able to resolve.

Again my apologies,
ChevITguy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo M58p
    CPU
    intel Core-2 Duo E8500
    Memory
    4 GBytes
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 23470
    Browser
    Microsoft Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Troubleshooting the lack of listing as a potential Default App as the Mail program in Windows 10 Pro x64 Feature 1903 was likely going to be a BIG effort (ProcMon, etc.), I thought. Fortunately, something told me to look at the contents of the C:\Program Files\Windows Mail subdirectory with the simple "dir" command in an Administrator Command Prompt. What! NO WinMail.exe was in the list. Executing a simple "attrib *.*" command revealed that WinMail.exe had the SH attributes (System Hidden)! I executed "attrib -s -h WinMail.exe" and then returned to the System Settings -> Apps -> Default apps panel and clicked on Mail and there was the WinMail ICON. I clicked on that to set WinMail as the default mail application and now the "mailto" links in Microsoft Edge actually WORK! I should play the Lottery today!

Thanks all, again, for the great efforts on this project!
ChevITguy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo M58p
    CPU
    intel Core-2 Duo E8500
    Memory
    4 GBytes
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 23470
    Browser
    Microsoft Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Good day to all members!!!

After running into trouble when installing WinMail in version 1903 Bld. 18936.00 as mentioned in my previous post, I made several tests trying to figure out what the problem was.

After several unsuccessful tests I had the feeling the problem was that WinMail could not write to the USER\APPDATA\LOCAL\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT|WINDOWS MAIL, a fact that coincided more or less, with what ChevlTguy had posted a couple of posts above.

So following his advice, I deleted all the files in the above mentioned folder and started WinMail, which of course was "empty" of accounts and messages. After importing user accounts I was able to receive and send emails without any problem, confirming ChevlTguy's finding. After this, all that was left was to import messages and rules.

Bases on this I would suggest to all WinMail users that are running Windows 10 version 1903 Bld. 18932.1000 and above follow the following procedure:

- Before doing any update, from a WORKING version of WinMail in Windows 10, do a backup of your Contacts Folders locates in: USERS\USERNAME\CONTACTS (copy the complete folder) to a safe location.

- Export all user Accounts from WinMail to a safe place (in working WinMail use TOOLS\ACCOUNTS\EXPORT. The format will be a file emailuser.iaf for each email account)

- Save a copy of all files in USER\APPDATA\LOCAL\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT|WINDOWS MAIL to a safe location.

- Upgrade your PC to Windows 10 version 1903 Bld. 18932.1000 or higher (so far tested and working in Bld. 18936.1000)

- Install WinMail as per Endeavor instructions in this post (once again many many thanks to Endeavor for all his work on WinMail) but do not open it.

- Delete all files in USER\APPDATA\LOCAL\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS MAIL folder.

- Open Windows Mail. It should open with no accounts or messages (except for the Welcome to Windows Mail message in the inbox folder). A whole new set of files will be created in USER\APPDATA\LOCAL\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS MAIL.

- Import your saved accounts from safe location (TOOLS\ACCOUNTS\IMPORT)

- Import your saved messages from safe location (FILES\IMPORT\MESSAGES).

- Imported emails will go to a set of folders under a main folder named Imported Folder. Select all the messages for each folder you want to move to the Local Folder location and use the MOVE command from WinMail to move them to their desired location. Once all your messages have been moved, you can delete the IMPORTED Folder and sub folders.

Apologies if my instructions are too long and not so clear. Maybe Endeavor or some other forum member can rewrite them in a much clearer form and integrate them into the general instructions.

Really glad I have my WinMail working again. I had lost all hope for a moment! ;-) ;-) ;-)

Many thanks to ChevlTguy as well for his solution.

Good luck !!!!!

JCC2

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Hello Endeavor !!!!!
(.....)
Unfortunately, it has stopped working with last week's release 18936.1000.

When trying to receive, it connects to the server, requests username/password if not saved and "reads" supposedly downloadable emails, but hen it fails again with error 0x800C103C.
(.....)

The upgrade in this case causes some previous xxxxx.oeaccount files to be overwritten while overwriting other files, causing corruption, and does not let you save draft on a new message, or send a new one, and when you try to receive online messages into your account you can get the 0x800C103C or 0x800C013E error message - I've seen it myself after upgrading to your Insider Preview version as shown here in these Screenshots: (click spoiler)
CouldNotBeSentError.jpg

CannotSaveThisMessage.jpg

(click image to open full size)
0x800C013E...jpg

The resolve is very easy, simply do what I have outlined and mentioned so many times before, simply and quickly do a Restore, of the Backup/Restore Procedure of your message store folder as outline in the Post 1 spoiler how to do it.

(.....)
Bases on this I would suggest to all WinMail users that are running Windows 10 version 1903 Bld. 18932.1000 and above follow the following procedure:
(.....)

?????
What's all this posting more instructions about?
jcc2 ...Again All the complete information how to do a Backup/Restore of your message store folder is already Properly given on Post 1 in it's spoilers - that's why it's there. There is no need to do it the long way around and end up not as good.

Apologies if my instructions are too long and not so clear. Maybe endeavor or some other forum member can rewrite them in a much clearer form and integrate them into the general instructions.

No more re-writing alternate instructions please, thank you.
Again it's already properly fully given!
I'm perplexed after all this time and how many times I've mentioned it, you and others must not have read it, but instead proceed to try and reinvent the wheel, and write up a different and more cumbersome procedure, why?

If you had previously made a backup of your message store folder as I outlined, you could of Deleted the old folder, copied in the new in its place, and you would of been working again in minutes!
It's that simple - Please Read and understand how to do it, Thank you!

Thank you..

Installed/Tested Win10 Insider Preview 18936, did a restore of my previous message store folder to fix the manual Save and Send message errors, and/or 0x800C103C or 0x800C013E errors, and then created a new message and sent it, and then received and it now worked fine - done!
Here's a Screenshot of that process using your Insider Preview:
(click image to open full size)
Win10v1903b18936.jpg

Edit:
I just edited Post #1 and I made the Backup/Restore notice header more obvious. You can't miss it now - if both of you did that procedure you would of never posted your error problems, and you would not needed to have done all that funky import mail procedures. I've also started to edit and re-word some of the Backup/Restore paragraphs to be more concise.

Also, I had already made them so why not show them to be helpful, so I've now added another spoiler to this post up top with some screenshots of those save/send errors, taken the very day I was testing this for you.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
(....)
One thing that the Feature 1903 DVD did was to bring in many of the C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData items including the WinMail items, unmodified (of course). This caused WinMail to FAIL with 0x8007013C every time it tried to receive or send an E-Mail to Google's POP3 servers.
(....)

The same exact reply to you as I've given to jcc2,

(....)
I DID use the ORIGINAL WinMailEdit.reg file that has the two Registry deletions at the end of that .reg file. I manually copied that file and then deleted those two sets of lines and saved. A "comp" command then verified that the new .reg file and my edited one were IDENTICAL.
(....)

What original, not the one from the Win7 tutorial I hope.
There is no need for anyone to fuss with any other registry files. Trust me, All the proper registry files are given already in the tutorial.

(....)
What! NO WinMail.exe was in the list. Executing a simple "attrib *.*" command revealed that WinMail.exe had the SH attributes (System Hidden)! I executed "attrib -s -h WinMail.exe" and then returned to the System Settings -> Apps -> Default apps panel and clicked on Mail and there was the WinMail ICON.
(...)

None of this was necessary if the tutorial instructions were followed.
After performing the tutorial it places and gives you all the proper files with the proper attributes, there is no need to do what you said or anything of the sort, WTH, just follow the simple instructions and use the proper files given!
All of this is done automatically, everything I snipped of yours (for brevity, sorry) already has an answer and resolve though, and you did not need to go though all of what you did if you followed through with the tutorial in order.

I know there can be a lot to it, even though it's simple, but these new Win10 builds along with sometimes needing to do a message store restore gets a little tricky the first time you do it - but honestly guys, once you get it, it's so simple to carry out.

You and jcc2 seem like experienced users, and so if I could just get you to read/understand the whole scenerio, and why, you will be masters of WM.

Thanks all, again, for the great efforts on this project!
ChevITguy

..and many thanks to you for your support, and to jcc2, and to all of our fellow WinMail users!

PS,
Even though I did install it today just for jcc2, I don't recommend Preview Builds and don't care to test with them, especially to do an upgrade on them from a previous build causing over 15+ GB of extra saved bloat over 100k files and 25k folders - is not for me, Especially considering backup partition imaging sizes. Sure you can run cleanup routines, but why bother - Fresh Install is better all-round. Same with any retail upgrade - it's much much better in the long run to do a fresh install of whatever version OS you are wanting; and of course concerning WinMail - it's never a fresh install and you never have to start over! ...you just bring your complete WinMail setup with you to each new OS build (follow the backup/restore procedure) ..and your WinMail setup, stays as is, in perfect original GUI structure without doing any of this import messages stuff which messes the original GUI up in odd foldering, etc..

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP